Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Dr. Faustus posted:

why don't you go gently caress yourself and "play" what you want to "play?"

its too bad that your idea of "lovely ibanez steve vai wankery" is my idea of "beautifully balanced and versatile guitars" but I guess that's why theres no accounting for taste. that's the reason you're so insecure about my purchases

no really, why don't you try something else rather then buying another jem? maybe you'll like another ibanez much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

sorry but the jem77fp is the next best thing to the real jem777.

the white one is nice but would you have one? got $3k lying around I can have?

If I had 3k to spend on a guitar I'd save a little more and jump on Ormsby's waiting list. Once I learn fretwork though I'll be able to turn most guitars into solid instruments anyway.

quote:

that's the reason you're so insecure about my purchases

ya he's definitely the one who is insecure about your purchases

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

also, if you're spending 3K on a guitar that isn't custom built especially for you or something, you're really loving up with your money

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

ThePutty posted:

no really, why don't you try something else rather then buying another jem? maybe you'll like another ibanez much better

Nah I understand him on this one - hsh/hss guitars are really versatile so really you can make them do a huge variety of things. If you really like the shape, then why not have a few, heck why not have most of your guitars be that shape? Guitarists having a bunch of guitars in a single shape is common, and something like a jem makes a hell of a lot more sense for doing that than a lot of them.

Plus if I remember right he already has a number of other shapes.

ThePutty posted:

also, if you're spending 3K on a guitar that isn't custom built especially for you or something, you're really loving up with your money
Completely agree but his last post indicates he's not going to do that, so that's something. I guess if a premade guitar is exactly what you want somehow it might make sense? :shrug:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
As usual, Sleepflower makes sense but Putty is named after his brain substance.

E: Putty thinks all my RGs are JEMs.

E2: I'm willing to bet Putty thinks it's fine to have a music room full of Strats, Teles, Jaguars, Mustangs, or Les Pauls or SGs, but if you have RG-style Ibanezes you just aren't branching out enough.

VVV Yep VVV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 8, 2014

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Sleepflower posted:

Nah I understand him on this one - hsh/hss guitars are really versatile so really you can make them do a huge variety of things. If you really like the shape, then why not have a few, heck why not have most of your guitars be that shape? Guitarists having a bunch of guitars in a single shape is common, and something like a jem makes a hell of a lot more sense for doing that than a lot of them.

Plus if I remember right he already has a number of other shapes.

the thing is here is all his preferred shapes are steve vai signatures so they're horrifically ugly

no, i'd say if you have RG style ibanezes i'd call it horribly embarrassing

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 8, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
what kind of dumb piece of poo poo could confuse a jem for an rg

obviously they're so different, the jem has the grip and

hm

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just like the huge differences in the 100 models of Stratocaster or Telecaster or Les Paul or Les Paul SG?

Yeah. Good point, "shiksa."

Have you even seen a Sweetwater or Musician's Friend catalog lately? WTF?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

dr. faustus please record the thomas the tank engine theme using an RG and a JEM to illustrate the differences

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dr. Faustus posted:

Just like the huge differences in the 100 models of Stratocaster or Telecaster or Les Paul or Les Paul SG?

do you think im sitting here shaming people for not knowing the difference between two nearly identical les pauls or something

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

this thread repeatedly makes fun of people who buy the same guitar over and over again, the jem is just an outlier among outliers

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^ I have two JEMs. One, two. Wow. ^^

Nope. I just think you're shitposting like a good little GBS poster, Shiksa.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

shiksa posted:

hm

honestly i really have no idea what's so different besides one looking far less terrible to own

and not costing 3k

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

^^ I have two JEMs. One, two. Wow. ^^

Nope. I just think you're shitposting like a good little GBS poster, Shiksa.

im going to ask a completely earnest question, because i really really do not know. besides aesthetics, what's the difference between a jem and an rg?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^ See the link below and all your questions will be answered: ^^

ThePutty posted:

honestly i really have no idea what's so different besides one looking far less terrible to own

and not costing 3k

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/fender-stratocaster

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/les-paul

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/epiphone

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 8, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

yes fender and gibson are bloated and absurd companies a few years from collapsing under their own weight once the older, wealthy crowd they market to is dead. what's the difference between a jem and an rg?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

oh okay so one is cheap and sounds really good and the other is really expensive and sounds exactly the same as the cheap one but has fender on it and a slightly better finish

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
What's the difference between a 10,000 dollar David Gilmour Strat and a $350 black Squire?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

What's the difference between a 10,000 dollar David Gilmour Strat and a $350 black Squire?

monkey grip

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

probably not much, it's wood and magnets at the end of the day. the david gilmour one is better at separating fools from their money though.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

david gilmour's name

alternatively, $9650 spent elsewhere

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

monkey grip
On what planet?

How can you idiots be so loving willfully dense?

You figure it out.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

On what planet?

planet monkey grip

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's doing the opposite of helping your argument here.

Just let it go dude. You like what you like, if other people want to keep laughing at you about it despite you ignoring them, then it's on them.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I read this thread. In bits and pieces, I read this whole thread. I regret the time I've spent here, except for whoever posted the wangcaster way back when because that was amazing and the eventual promise of a completed goontar (WDE I respect what you do).

Here's a mandolin of doubtful aesthetics:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sleepflower posted:

That's doing the opposite of helping your argument here.

Just let it go dude. You like what you like, if other people want to keep laughing at you about it despite you ignoring them, then it's on them.

Yeah, you're right. I loving give up.

P.S. - Thanks.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 8, 2014

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah, you're right. I loving give up.
Cool, go enjoy your guitars dude.
And yeah, no problem.

Anyway, punching [insert word] guitar into google is a pretty good way to find material for the thread. You can probably guess what I typed in for these:

This image is a treasure trove of awful:

And uh, this also showed up:

e: I think I see something resembling a chainsaw in the parts, including up the sides of the neck, and I want to believe that huge steel handle is also attached. It may actually be a chainsaw rather than a bass but hell if I know.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 8, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

great now ill never know the difference between a jem and an rg.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Dewgy posted:

this thread repeatedly makes fun of people who buy the same guitar over and over again, the jem is just sorta a goofy choice

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

ya we've done that one already I think.

Managed to find a video of chainsaw guitar being used live. The chainsaw actually works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoCCLidfJc

shiksa posted:

great now ill never know the difference between a jem and an rg.
He explained his understanding of it a couple of pages back.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

On what planet?

How can you idiots be so loving willfully dense?

You figure it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
how many times has Faustus gone off the deep end about his god drat handlebar guiitars

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

tbf some of those are guilds.

haha just kidding it's dumb as hell to own piles of any one specific guitar, but if you're 80s rock star rich, gently caress it.

pretend i posted yngwie's office filled with identical white strats with scalloped frets

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

shiksa posted:

tbf some of those are guilds.

haha just kidding it's dumb as hell to own piles of any one specific guitar, but if you're 80s rock star rich, gently caress it.

pretend i posted yngwie's office filled with identical white strats with scalloped frets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZeOOsSgx2Q

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Listen guys. Stop talking about me. You're totally insecure about my guitars. Also I don't really know what the definition of insecure is.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The best part about this photo is that it's responsible for getting Joe Perry back his guitar that he pawned for drug money. Perry pawned the guitar when he was super on the rocks and broke and it passed between a lot of owners and he lost track of it, then when he got less spun out and Aerosmith was popular again he tried in vain for years to figure out what had happened to the guitar. Then after a while his buddy picked up a magazine and saw that photo which apparently has the guitar in it. He tried to convince Slash to let him buy it back but he wouldn't sell it to him and Perry thought he was being a dick but then it turned out he just wanted to give it to him for his birthday.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

shiksa posted:

hm

I have one that looks about identical, rg550ltd which should be according to internet very close to a jem. Should I drill a hole in it?

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Dewgy posted:

planet monkey grip

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

well, that's something else that needs to go on the goontar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Sleepflower posted:

Cool, go enjoy your guitars dude.
And yeah, no problem.

Anyway, punching [insert word] guitar into google is a pretty good way to find material for the thread. You can probably guess what I typed in for these:

I think that's how they got the guitar tone on this album.
http://youtu.be/c-l4LqkQHuk

ThePutty posted:

i'd probably just sell that guitar now and try to find something a bit broader in what it can play, you'll only grow more and more resentful about it until you get something that suits your personality and music tastes as you get older. preferably, just get something cheap like any of the classic vibe series which are really solid guitars and really broad in what they can handle (metal included if you want that). brand name doesn't mean anything at all or manufacturing location, as long as the guitar itself is quality for the price

don't worry, we've all made terrible guitar choices in life
Nah I kinda like it. Fits for what I'm currently playing (punky metal a-la Toxic Holocaust crossed with GBH) but I'm saving up for something I can play other genres on without looking like a bad joke.

• Locked thread