Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I didn't have San Andreas installed, so basically I'm hosed no matter what now aren't I. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Rookersh posted:

I didn't have San Andreas installed, so basically I'm hosed no matter what now aren't I. :(

I'd doubt it, but perhaps they might implement a version with the old songs still included for previous owners like they did with Vice City if people complain enough. I only caught the patch downloading because someone else in the house told me to stop downloading stuff so they could stream things properly. Had a suspicion this might happen, so I stopped it straight away.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Arkham: Origins was the one with a game breaking bug that the developers openly stated they gave no fuckss and won't ever fix, right?

Origins shipped with SEVERAL game-breaking bugs and the devs fixed them for the majority of users, but some people still experience those bugs and they announced they had no plans to fix the non-game-breaking ones that generally made combat miserable.

They basically said "we're launching the DLC and then never touching this game again."

And then the DLC required you to visit an area that had a bug since release where it wouldn't load and you'd fall through an infinite void.

re: San Andreas chat: Rockstar probably lost the license to a lot of songs in the game and it's easier to port the recently-done mobile versions to PC than look up how the coders you had ten-fifteen years ago made the game. It sucks, but it's not really Rockstar's fault so much as bureaucracy in general.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Their staff in 1998 balanced a 3 race RTS well. This does not mean their staff in 2014 can balance a 12 class FPS well.

Starcraft 2 isn't that old and it's pretty well balanced.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
According to some reversing guy over at the Steam Forums, the SA update is not actually a port of the mobile version. They just updated a few small things like gamepad support and removed songs, while breaking a few things at the same time.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

al-azad posted:

I don't think it's game breaking but there is a fast travel spot you can't reach without an obscure exploit and the devs shrugged their shoulders at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-DtI0AQFW4

I saw this video when the game came out and I'm still amazed how someone managed to figure that out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Starcraft 2 isn't that old and it's pretty well balanced.

SC2 was balanced so well that Blizzard had to intentionally "destroy" the balance to add the expansion units.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

al-azad posted:

I don't think it's game breaking but there is a fast travel spot you can't reach without an obscure exploit and the devs shrugged their shoulders at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-DtI0AQFW4

I ran into this issue myself but it was fixed soon after launch.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Crashbee posted:

I ran into this issue myself but it was fixed soon after launch.

Yeah, they definitely patched this.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
So I grabbed that free copy of Metro 2033 to give to a buddy, but it turns out I had harassed him into getting it a while ago and forgot about it. So a link for whoever.
https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=zN3xcFedb6VW3D2r

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, uh, to kill my vouching for Blizzard in regards to balancing... Diablo 3 is fun but it's also way way way too easy and I'm playing on loving hard.
You get so many health regen bonuses that it's pretty much cheating.

I'm halfway through Reaper of Souls I think and the only way I'm ever threatened is if I get frozen or stunned and can't do anything.
I'm thinking I'll jump to Torment on my next playthrough and hope that I get monsters that hit like a truck or something.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So A Bird Story just popped up in a News window. It's by the guy who did To The Moon. While I know To The Moon can be a bit divisive at times due to some of its dialogue I did find it to be pretty effective when it was being serious and A Bird Story is apparently wordless so...

Has anybody gone ahead and bought it yet? I expect its pretty short and I'm probably going to get it regardless for only $5 but its nice to have a bit of an echo chamber going first.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Deakul posted:

So, uh, to kill my vouching for Blizzard in regards to balancing... Diablo 3 is fun but it's also way way way too easy and I'm playing on loving hard.

I'm halfway through Reaper of Souls I think and the only way I'm ever threatened is if I get frozen or stunned and can't do anything.
I'm thinking I'll jump to Torment on my next playthrough and hope that I get monsters that hit like a truck or something.

While leveling you should always have it at the highest difficulty you can handle and then drop it down as you hit walls (for example there's a major wall from 67-70 because there are no gear levels between 65 and 70).

When people talk about D3 balance, they're talking about endgame. At almost every point in the game's existence there have been classes that had no endgame viable builds, or at best gimmick builds like zero DPS monks that relied on other classes to kill things. Only in the last couple patches have they made every class endgame viable (there are still classes that are clearly better than the rest but they're not so much better that you wouldn't play the others)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Deakul posted:

Torment?

Oh believe me, you will die. Oh you'll so very die. You'll die-die-die and you'll make-me-cry. (BRICK, SING IT WITH ME)

But seriously, you're not even playing on Expert/Master difficulty?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

RoS changed Hard to effectively be Normal. Torment will kill you dead.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, ok, I was just recommended to start with hard on my first play through.
I've got so many hours with Diablo 2 that it's embarrassing so I wasn't sure.

So, I think going up to Master should be good then.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

If you are the type of person who thinks there are no good modern gta games (a bad person who has a really narrow definition of fun) then I have some good news for you:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/12120/discussions/0/34096318964479523/

Someone made a fan patch to reverse the GTA:SA doom patch.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Deakul posted:

I'm at level 70 and playing solo on Torment (I) difficulty level is pretty rough. Fire chain blue-name (champion?) packs always get me. The worst so far has been teleportingfrozen fast fire chain packs. But it does beat the almost zero challenge difficulties I used while leveling up.

edit: I remember during the 66-70 levels I would do adventure mode and cherry pick quick bounties and got a lot of quick exp that way; overworld area 'kill xxxx' or 'cursed xxxx' were usually pretty quick ones.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 8, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Deakul posted:

Youre playing on easy mode. Every difficulty below torment 1 is supposed to be piss easy. If i remembed right the difficulty called "hard" is only one difficulty up from normal so put it up to master or expert until youre level 70 then go work your way up from torment 1 which is the end game easy mode.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Apparently Shroud of the Avatar is launching for Early Access on Steam on November 24th.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=45537

(Forgive me if this was already mentioned. It's been a long day at work and this popped up before I was all caught up to date on the thread, and I got a bit excited.)

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

A Lamer posted:

If you are the type of person who thinks there are no good modern gta games (a bad person who has a really narrow definition of fun) then I have some good news for you:

Yeah... check your post dates again. That thing is old.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

A Lamer posted:

No.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

mr. nobody posted:

I'm at level 70 and playing solo on Torment (I) difficulty level is pretty rough. Fire chain blue-name (champion?) packs always get me. The worst so far has been teleportingfrozen fast fire chain packs. But it does beat the almost zero challenge difficulties I used while leveling up.

edit: I remember during the 66-70 levels I would do adventure mode and cherry pick quick bounties and got a lot of quick exp that way; overworld area 'kill xxxx' or 'cursed xxxx' were usually pretty quick ones.

There's definitely a high level of character building complexity to wrangle with in order to make the climb from Torment 1 to Torment 6. Gotta select the right build, evaluate the item slots, and farm for upgrades at an appropriate difficulty.

There are guides but the guides usually give you a set of requirements to go from T4-T6 whereas RNG usually dictates the path to get there.

The funnest part of D3 was leveling on Torment 1/2/3 using twinked gear since you could be more creative with skill choice and still manage the increased difficulty.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 8, 2014

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Yeah... check your post dates again. That thing is old.

Ah, yeah I saw that it was edited today, but I didn't look at the posted date or thoroughly scan the changelog. My bad.

Top quality reply, mate.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

A Lamer posted:

Ah, yeah I saw that it was edited today, but I didn't look at the posted date or thoroughly scan the changelog. My bad.

Top quality reply, mate.

I spent as much time typing it as you did reading that link before you posted it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

5 months ago it was 23%. I have 472 games on steam. RIP me

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:toot:

With a full 20% blacklisted, you're well on your way to beating Steam. I won't speculate on what happens then.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

:toot:

With a full 20% blacklisted, you're well on your way to beating Steam. I won't speculate on what happens then.

There's only one real option at that point.

Godspeed you madman.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Pretty sure I won at Steam, guys. Wrap it all up.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Deakul posted:

Well, ok, I was just recommended to start with hard on my first play through.
I've got so many hours with Diablo 2 that it's embarrassing so I wasn't sure.

It varies a bit depending on class but here's a quick breakdown
Normal: Crazy easy. Pointless unless you're using it to grind something out.
Hard: pretty much 'normal' difficulty. You have to pay a little attention to gear/build but not much.
Expert: you have to stay on top of the gear curve or have a few legacy items/paragon levels. Not because you'll die but because monsters will take forever to kill.
Master: Without decent gear and legacy items/paragon levels everything takes too long to kill and this is the first level that will really punish you for lack of gear by killing you.
Torment 1: This is the start of the endgame.

Hitpoints inflate way more than damage in this game so time to kill is a bigger deal than getting one shot by mobs in the lower levels.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 8, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's kind of ironic that Valve is developing DOTA 2 while Blizzard created a Team Fortress 2 clone/successor. I'm also betting it's a pretty big deal for Valve because their game couldn't be threatened by anybody but a miracle like Blizzard entering FPS market.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So the only way to quit out of RE4 HD seems to be hitting Alt-F4, but compared to Deadly Premonition, RE4 runs and plays like a fuckin dream.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Nah, you have to go to the main menu first which is hidden under the RETRY option or something. Then you can quit properly.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Quest For Glory II posted:

So the only way to quit out of RE4 HD seems to be hitting Alt-F4

Common misconception for some reason. "Retry or Load" from the menu, return to title, exit from there. I guess they could've named the menu option more clearly :v:

efb

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Palpek posted:

Blizzard entering FPS market.

Well, it was a pretty natural step after trying out third-person shooters with Starcraft Gh--oh.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just finished the Wolf Among us (amazing game) but i was wondering if the game could be completed by never giving an answer.

Like silence always seems to be an option so i was wondering how the story unfolds if you just stand there like a giant mute never giving an answer.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey, Far Cry 4, the Crew and Unity are back on Steam.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kin posted:

I just finished the Wolf Among us (amazing game) but i was wondering if the game could be completed by never giving an answer.

Like silence always seems to be an option so i was wondering how the story unfolds if you just stand there like a giant mute never giving an answer.
Yeah it can be completed by never giving an answer, people then kinda do what they want, it doesn't make you a badass.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kin posted:

Have you heard of Silent Lee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

mycot posted:

Have you heard of Silent Lee?

I have now.

I watched a few of those Walking Dead videos and hopes things would be a fair bit different if you were a unresponsive, but the final one seemed to play out exactly the same as my playthrough.

Did Wolf Among Us improve on this at all, like did it have any impact on significant decisions at the end?

• Locked thread