Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is a good deviled egg recipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Enfield posted:

What is a good deviled egg recipe

Hard boil some eggs, cut them in half, mash the yolks up with some mayo and mustard and a bit of granulated sugar, squirt the mixture onto the whites, sprinkle some paprika on them, and you got some deviled eggs. Some heretics add relish to the yolk mixture but that poo poo ain't right

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cut some hard-boiled eggs in half, take out the yolk, put it in a bowl with some mayo, whip it together and then shove it back in the eggs halves. This is the basic construction of a deviled egg, and it is your canvas.

Whip tandoori masala into the yolks and garnish with cumin.

Chop up some shallots and garlic stems really tiny and whip that in, then garnish with cracked black pepper and himalayan rock salt.

Squirt some loving ketchup in it and garnish with cheez whiz, it's your loving recipe and you don't got to do a god drat thing anybody else tells you.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

peter gabriel posted:

Just eat all the eggs, problem solved

Goons, eat the eggs.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAkzEusQLBw

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

tentative8e8op posted:

Mixing an egg into a bowl of piping hot rice is delicious as well.
I love egg-fried rice, the trick is to first cook scrambled eggs till they're all solid and chop that up with a spatula into little pieces, then add olive oil, then add the rice and mix thoroughly with some salt and pepper (or white pepper if you like). SO GOOD

When making French toast, add a spice to the egg-milk blend; probably most people will like cinnamon, but I prefer cloves. Then you cover the final product in a mountain of powdered sugar. Maple syrup on French toast is for communists and Canadians.

Agatha Crispies
Jan 15, 2010

Contains 100% daily dose of little grey cells
Gyudon is nothing without eggs.

Bovine Capsicum
Nov 24, 2007
I just discovered shakshuka and it is the best goddamn way to cook eggs

Make a tomato sauce with onion, garlic, ground cumin, paprika, cayenne and whatever vegetable(s) you feel like. Last stage optional but it's a good way of getting rid of the leftover veg chilling (lol) in your crisper. When the sauce is about ready, turn the heat down low, crack eggs on top, cover and cook about 10 minutes/until the eggs are cooked how you like. I like it all dolloped on top of toast because the toast absorbs the spicy tomato sauce and goes all delicious

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is it Sunny Side Up still if you flip them?

Because if so, I do SSU and scrambled, both plain.

Runny folk is the law.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nope, there's a separate term for that kind of egg, it's called 'over easy.'

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Up in northern California, there's this hot sauce (called Pepper Plant, iirc) with big chunks of garlic in it. That with scrambled eggs and cheese is the best way to eat eggs.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Two eggs over easy, moderately runny yolk, on whole wheat toast with a layer of cheese and a few spoonfuls of hot salsa.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I don't bother boiling the eggs...I throw them in my electric steamer for 20 mins and walk away. Wait for them to ding and then throw them in ice water.

Perfect hard cooked eggs every time and I don't have to worry about it.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Is spaghetti carbonara a way of eating eggs? If so, I like that way (of eating eggs)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vindolanda posted:

Is spaghetti carbonara a way of eating eggs? If so, I like that way (of eating eggs)

Nope, unless you have it with eggs

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

anybody who doesn't say omelette isn't a big enough fan of making eggs

and gently caress those extra ingredients. if you haven't perfected the plain egg omelette you dont deserve them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Promoted Pawn posted:

anybody who doesn't say omelette isn't a big enough fan of making eggs

and gently caress those extra ingredients. if you haven't perfected the plain egg omelette you dont deserve them.

Omelettes are pretty nice, but come on; Deviled egg is clearly the best option.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Florentine pizzas need some love.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

peter gabriel posted:

Sounds like someone has only had lovely carbonara. http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spaghetti_alla_carbonara

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

peter gabriel posted:

What kind of carbonara doesn't have eggs in it?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I think he just means that spaghetti carbonara doesn't count as a way to make eggs. Unless you have a bowl of them hard-boiled on the side. Like a man.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you want to determine what is or is not an egg dish, look closely at the name of the dish. If it is an egg dish the name will have the word 'omelette' or 'egg' in it somewhere. If it doesn't have one of those words, it may be a dish that contains eggs, but it is not considered an egg dish.

French toast, for example, contains eggs but is not actually considered an egg dish. Fried egg on toast contains almost all the same ingredients, but includes the word 'egg' in its name, making it an egg dish.

Sometimes it will be in other languages, so be on the lookout for words like 'huevo' or 'tamago'

That's all there is to it. Get out there and have fun identifying egg dishes!

.-~-.
                     .'     '.
                    /         \
            .-~-.  :           ;
          .'     '.|           |
         /         \           :
        :           ; .-~""~-,/
        |           /`        `'.
        :          |             \
         \         |             /
          `.     .' \          .'
    eggs    `~~~`    '-.____.-'

If you would like to use this guide on your site, please ask permission first.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
poo poo, toads and holes are NOT eggs. I've been lied to :cry:

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

poo poo, toads and holes are NOT eggs. I've been lied to :cry:

There's egg in the batter if that's of any comfort to you.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

No way at all, I detest eggs.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

StealthArcher posted:

No way at all, I detest eggs.

Reasonable.

I could go for a Frites Omelette.
Very easy, Very cheap.

You get some potatoes, cut em into fries (thickly) and set them in a pan with no overlaps, shallow-deep fry in a pan until almost golden then move the oil from the pan leaving a good amount, pour mixed eggs on top, just enough to cover them.
Keep on the heat and flip until fully cooked and golden on both sides.

Serve with/in a fresh baguette and done best on a gas range.
Infact its just not the same on something that isnt a gas range.

mind you This isnt a spanish omelette, it comes out very differently in terms of taste and texture.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I think he just means that spaghetti carbonara doesn't count as a way to make eggs. Unless you have a bowl of them hard-boiled on the side. Like a man.

Yeah, sorry this :)

Just make a big bowl of fuckin eggs with any meal, that's how I roll

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
So what's the deal with pickled eggs? I tried them once, and it was like eating a salty rubber ball. Am I just not eggpro enough to handle them? :ohdear:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Minarch posted:

So what's the deal with pickled eggs? I tried them once, and it was like eating a salty rubber ball. Am I just not eggpro enough to handle them? :ohdear:

Like pickled anything they just taste of vinegar - a waste of a perfectly good egg imo

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Using pickled eggs to make gribiche is pretty god drat good, though, if you use good pickled eggs. Most of them seem to be pickled in like straight white vinegar with salt which is gross.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Using pickled eggs to make gribiche is pretty god drat good, though, if you use good pickled eggs. Most of them seem to be pickled in like straight white vinegar with salt which is gross.

Bout to say, if you're gonna pickle eggs, some balsamic and dill is mucho necessary, at least, my family really loves when I make those. Maybe they're weird.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ever have a thousand year egg? It's this chinese egg preserved in salt and quicklime and it's totally gross looking and tastes really strong, but the texture is nice and it works well diced up in some congee.

Pictured: some gross looking poo poo

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RandomFerret posted:

If you want to determine what is or is not an egg dish, look closely at the name of the dish. If it is an egg dish the name will have the word 'omelette' or 'egg' in it somewhere. If it doesn't have one of those words, it may be a dish that contains eggs, but it is not considered an egg dish.

So bacon and eggs is an egg dish, but if you add some mushrooms and fried tomatoes it's not an egg dish any more? Madness. And how about a quiche? That's definitely an egg dish.

Fricassee
Nov 29, 2004

Huevos rancheros, we don't mess around in New Mexico. A large homemade corn (or flour) tortilla covered with a generous serving of papas and beans, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and eggs cooked however you like. I always order over easy, the yolk mixing with everything makes it perfect. Smothered in red or green chile. Serve with sopapillas just in case that's not enough for you to handle. Just looking at it you know your stomachs gonna hate you for it the next day but it's so worth it.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Purple Pickled Eggs! gently caress YEAH!

3 dozen eggs
3 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
3 cans whole red beets
2 whole cloves*

Hard boil and peel 3 doz. eggs, set aside.

In a large pan, heat 3 cups vinegar and stir in 2 cups sugar until the sugar dissolves completely. Add 3 cans whole red beets w/juice.
Heat the mixture until hot but not quite boiling. Remove from heat and add the eggs and cloves. Let sit until cool, then transfer to a large jar or other glass container (a gallon is about right). Refridgerate for 3 days, turning every day (to avoid white spots where they touch the side of the jar).

When they're juuuuust right, you cut one lengthwise and it should be a nice royal purple color with just a tiny corona of white around a golden yolk. A little shake of salt and pepper and it's one of the great comfort foods of all time.

*some people substitute a cinnamon stick for the cloves, but those people are heretics and should be burned alive after having their eyes gouged out.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
I like to cook up a bunch of scrambled eggs and put them on my fritos chili pizza from Papa Johns Pizza, better ingredients better pizza

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

gently caress, I knew there was something I was missing. I'll have to add an update section to the faq.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Nobody has mentioned The Devil's Eggs yet?

For shame, friends, for shame.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I just like mine over easy.

I'd go with sunny side up for how delicious they look but runny white is pretty gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

ask my mom to make me som eggs

• Locked thread