Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

bobvonunheil posted:

I had never even thought of mocking up box inserts like this but it makes perfect sense. What do you use for the foam and for adhesive?

I've only fine a lovely foamcore insert for Keyflower, but I used a glue gun and toothpicks to hold everything together. I used the toothpicks cut in half as support for when two pieces met perpendicularly. I'm sure people will tell you actual good advice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just use black foamcore (usually), with dress pins cut short sometimes to hold the pieces together a bit tighter while the elmer's glue dries. That's what all the shiny pins are in my Xia picture. They're like tiny nails with a head that helps hold the pieces together. It lets you work quicker instead of having to wait for the glue to dry on each piece. Glue takes to it as well, creating an extra strong bond once it's dried.

I've used toothpicks before, but they tended to crunch the foam a bit, making for uglier edges and sometimes just ruining pieces of the foamcore.

Edit: Dress pins come in like a 500 pack in any craft aisle for like $3. It's with the sewing stuff. Clippers can cut them down easily to pin shorter lengths.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 7, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My wife has a giant load of craft pins, and I was planning on using hot glue to hold it together (since again, my wife has piles of glue sticks). There was someone on BGG offering a pattern and instructions for making a Caverna organizer, and they used dress pins and hot glue.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
There's an app out for IOS and Android, Sentinels of the Multiverse. It's incredibly slick. My biggest complaint is that I played through the core set far too quickly, and now I'm sitting around waiting for one of the expansions.

(Some effects require far too many tedious confirmations to work fully. God help you if put Twist the Ether on Tempest.)

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Another great looking thing you can do for games where each player has a set of pieces is to make tuckboxes. I got some plans for Eclipse, and the expansion's, tuckboxes on BGG. Had them printed at a printer on some thick card, then cut, folded and stuck them together with strong double sided tape.

When I've showed people, they assumed they came with the game because they looked so good.

Edit \/\/ I used the heaviest stock at the print shop. Stuff is thick card, hasn't taken a dent or bent at all, and we played the hell out of Eclipse. \/\/

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 8, 2014

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I've never had much luck with tuckboxes. I guess I never found sturdy enough stock.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

You all are bourgeoisie as gently caress, I rip out every insert that doesn't work, bag all tokens and other small components, and rubber band all cards. If poo poo isnt bagged it falls everywhere with most inserts when I put the game sideways on the shelf anyway.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Scyther posted:

rubber band all cards

:gonk:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Scyther posted:

You all are bourgeoisie as gently caress, I rip out every insert that doesn't work, bag all tokens and other small components, and rubber band all cards. If poo poo isnt bagged it falls everywhere with most inserts when I put the game sideways on the shelf anyway.

This but also if you also label said plastic bags with a sharpie.

Shut up and Sit Down did a review with the line "only board gamers and drug dealers understand the use of a good plastic bag" and I completely agree.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scyther posted:

:hfive:
Just throw out the dumb inserts and sandwich bag/elastics are all you need. Some times I get fancy and put token I use a lot into these little containers:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Zip lock bags and Plano boxes. Everything a growing gamer needs.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The End posted:

Zip lock bags and Plano boxes. Everything a growing gamer needs.

I use planos with my Eclipse setup because there's so many simple square tokens. But Xia needed special cutouts for its weird tetris shaped outfits. I couldn't find a plano that both fit the pieces and fit in the box. So foamcore insert it was.

I do have tons of bags for things, but if it's a game I want to play frequently, or just has tons and tons of counters that need to be separated, a plano or homemade insert will make setup, cleanup and just grabbing the pieces during the game so much quicker and more convenient.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Really Useful Box master race.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I played Subdivisions today and it sucked because we didn't listen to Rush at the same time. But really, I was told not to expect Suburbia but I was still expecting it and when it wasn't that I was a bit unhappy. It was decent, but gently caress dice forever and maybe next time I'll get better tiles.

Speaking of drafting games, I dunno if either no one has tried them or if my post just got missed, but has anyone played either of the two Among the Stars expansions? Opinions?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

bobvonunheil posted:

I had never even thought of mocking up box inserts like this but it makes perfect sense. What do you use for the foam and for adhesive?

Foamcore, and for the adhesive I use something called Weldbond, though I highly doubt that's necessary. poo poo's strong, though.

While it's possible to just have everything in ziplocs and rubber bands, it's just so pleasing to have a well-organized container, personally speaking.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think what kind of organization you need depends on the game. Caverna needs organization because you're constantly taking pieces and putting them back during the game. Same with Steam, there's a lot of time spent in game looking for a particular piece. Something like Space Alert where everything comes out at the beginning? Maybe not so much.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Myrmidongs posted:

Hail, Comrade!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Just played the most ridiculous first day I've ever had in Mage Knight - I killed the High Dragon on Volkare's tile on the third turn of the game, bought Training from the monastery before burning it and still had enough cards to take a dungeon. Only wounds taken were 2 from Volkare.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Bubble-T posted:

Just played the most ridiculous first day I've ever had in Mage Knight - I killed the High Dragon on Volkare's tile on the third turn of the game, bought Training from the monastery before burning it and still had enough cards to take a dungeon. Only wounds taken were 2 from Volkare.

I need to know how to play mage knight on my computer now! I don't have enough space to actually play it at the moment.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

the panacea posted:

I need to know how to play mage knight on my computer now! I don't have enough space to actually play it at the moment.
The clue is in the picture :v:

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Scyther posted:

rubber band all cards

Morpheus posted:

rubber bands

For all that is good, don't use rubber bands. They press on the edges, deforming cardboard. Instead, I suggest Hugo's Amazing Tape.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IKCJ82/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zipkocks for cards and cardboard alike i say.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also rubber bands can get stuck to the cards if you don't get the game out in a long time.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

mongol posted:

For all that is good, don't use rubber bands. They press on the edges, deforming cardboard. Instead, I suggest Hugo's Amazing Tape.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IKCJ82/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hugo's tape is a good stopgap measure, but it gets seriously tedious slowly typing up card stacks after every play session. I buy deck boxes for every game I give a poo poo about.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I seriously just use ziplocks for everything, but that's pretty much because I'm used to getting wargames and you that's all you need for them usually.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

the panacea posted:

Vassal. Though, I've not actually managed ot figure out how to PLAY the mage knight module on vassal despite owning it. Vassal is not intuitive.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
You just drag poo poo around. :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm aware of that part. I can't get a hand of cards.

I probably need to just read the instructions, but to be honest there are games that don't require as much thought to actually get to playing them, like RftG, that I can play instead.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

mongol posted:

I find this a lot funnier than I probably should.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The day I have cards damaged by a rubber band is the day I'll switch to some sissy tape.

E: I don't know what industrial strength conveyor belts you guys have had bad experiences with, because even my oldest rubber banded games don't show any signs of rubber band damage.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 8, 2014

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I didn't know I could use self adhesive tape for other purposes than bondage :getin:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

the panacea posted:

I didn't know I could use self adhesive tape for other purposes than bondage :getin:
I have seen people use bondage tape (bought from a sex shop) for their board gaming stuff, it works pretty well.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Did I mention I never sleeve cards either?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Tekopo posted:

I have seen people use bondage tape (bought from a sex shop) for their board gaming stuff, it works pretty well.

I might have some lying around somewhere, I'll give it a try.

change threadtitle: bring your bondage tape and hotglue pistol

In other news I finally picked up my own Space Alert + Expansion copy and am looking forward to dying in space with my girlfriend.
I also managed to grab a copy of the new Mice and Mystics expansion that had just arrived at my local boardgame shop. According to the official Website it's not out for another 1-2 months?!?

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

EvilChameleon posted:

Speaking of drafting games, I dunno if either no one has tried them or if my post just got missed, but has anyone played either of the two Among the Stars expansions? Opinions?

The AtS "expansions" transform a pleasant half-hour drafting game into a three-hour shouting fest.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The only game I've sleeved is twilight struggle, cause my friends are jackasses and put cards into their pockets then leave my house with them. It leaves the cards pretty marked, so you immediately know when someone's holding it.

Coincidentally, I also use bondage tape to keep those cards in stacks. I found it in the basement with the rest of the sex stuff.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Myrmidongs posted:

Last year, just after Halloween, Staples had a B1G1 sale on Really Useful Boxes, and there was a clearance on a bunch as well. I spent $5 and still have a bunch laying around.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is Agricola: ACBAS any good? Seems like it would be a light 2p game that could be fun.

Also I played a few games last night. Tragedy Looper was pretty fun, Trains could have been good was felt really aimless and badly designed, and Splendor was hella fun.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

EvilChameleon posted:

Among the Stars actually has one expansion yet, Ambassadors. It adds one more thing you can do by discarding the card you drafted, which is grabbing an ambassador out of thee available choices that turn. It also brings ton of new cards which you can use to rotate the cards in the available pool while preparing the main deck for more variety between games.

The other pack is just all the promo and kickstarter extras packed together. wich are mostly alternate races and conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm aware of that part. I can't get a hand of cards.

Mage Knight on Vassal is a bit more involved than other modules because you've got to do a bit of setup. I'll go knock up a guide or something.

e: Here you go.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 8, 2014

• Locked thread