Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

citybeatnik posted:

Depending upon which precinct the polling place is, that might be a feature and not a bug.

Actually you may have a point there, we live in an immigrant heavy area right next door to Compton. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I feel like this might be :can: but I have to post here before I do to facebook. I'm Doug. Mary is a friend of mine in Canada and Ben is another guy here in Wisconsin. I talked to a friend I have in Cali who had to lie about having sucked a guys dick one time so I took my general annoyance to facebook.

I want to reply with something super snarky saying "Well lets just label it all GAY BLOOD and STRAIGHT BLOOD and distribute accordingly" but I want to avoid the poop as much as possible.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
You started it, the "poop" has already been touched (when will this phrase go away by the way?). Do whatever you want.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Tracula posted:

I feel like this might be :can: but I have to post here before I do to facebook. I'm Doug. Mary is a friend of mine in Canada and Ben is another guy here in Wisconsin. I talked to a friend I have in Cali who had to lie about having sucked a guys dick one time so I took my general annoyance to facebook.

I want to reply with something super snarky saying "Well lets just label it all GAY BLOOD and STRAIGHT BLOOD and distribute accordingly" but I want to avoid the poop as much as possible.

It's your post. You are the poop.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

you are the poop, so please touch yourself while the rest of us watch.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, you're the idiot. Do you really think the blood centers are rejecting blood from higher risk donors out of malice? I guess those recreational iv drug users should be pissed too.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

In the UK HIV is nearly as prevalent among black Africans and Caribbeans, but we let them donate, and HIV positive gay men have the same rate of diagnosis as other HIV positive people.

Praseodymi has a new favorite as of 09:46 on Nov 7, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I don't know what everyone else here is basing their statements on, but if it's only from the one statement from Ben that says "56% of gays, OR GAYS WHO INJECT DRUGS have HIV", there's quite clearly a reason they lump regular gays and gays who are doing injectable drugs together like that, and it's not for good reasons.

EDIT: Don't they test all the blood regardless, if so, even if he his a dirty gay with the AIDS, it doesn't matter or cost anyone anything extra.

Rudager has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Nov 7, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rudager posted:

I don't know what everyone else here is basing their statements on, but if it's only from the one statement from Ben that says "56% of gays, OR GAYS WHO INJECT DRUGS have HIV", there's quite clearly a reason they lump regular gays and gays who are doing injectable drugs together like that, and it's not for good reasons.

EDIT: Don't they test all the blood regardless, if so, even if he his a dirty gay with the AIDS, it doesn't matter or cost anyone anything extra.

yes but there are risks with false positives, yada yada yada

Like don't get me wrong Canada's blood donation rules are woefully archaic.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Otana posted:

The worst is all the junk mail, I swear I was throwing away at least ten of those "my opponent is a communist/kills kittens/forgot :911:" cards a day. My favorite was one calling out our incumbent Assemblymember on supporting/not supporting a particular controversial issue... followed by a rebuttal card pointing out that he wasn't even in office then. It's like high school gossiping, I swear.

I kept getting ones from this loving fiscal something-or-other of Massachusetts that claimed to be a non-partisan, non-profit think tank or some bullshit, covered front-to-back in far-right talking points like Candidate X wants to take healthcare away from ARE VETERANS and give it to ILLEGALS and Candidate Y is responsible for something tax-related that sounds bad and frightening! Did some googling, turns out it's a Tea Party front. :laugh:

My dad won't stop posting loving Bitstrips to the point where I no longer have him on my feed because it's just so goddamn dumb.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Candidate Y is responsible for something tax-related that sounds bad and frightening!
This sounds almost exactly like some of the nutjobs that try and buy time on the air at our radio group every election season.

"Just take our word for it! It's something about taxes and it's really bad. You wouldn't like it at all."

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, they make blood donation drives here in Iceland occasionally and I always just ask: "Do you still hate homos?" and then when they go: "No, no, it's not hate we just think that the sole group of people in Iceland to have regular checkups about aids shouldn't give blood, because why put in the effort to test it? Also please help we are literally running out of blood."

It's the same here with people from Africa having similar rates of HIV crap, but because it was written by old shits before we allowed foreign people into the country they're allowed to donate.

It's the same thing with bone marrow transplants, where simply because of 'statistics' that apply to several other groups as well, homosexuals aren't allowed to apply.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
loving Ryan White ruining everything.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

DemeaninDemon posted:

loving Ryan White ruining everything.
I'm guessing that he died before most goons were born.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Holy gently caress dude, just go outside or something.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Holy gently caress dude, just go outside or something.

I'm always urged to ask people what they're going to do with that information or if it actually brings them any sort of enjoyment.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I'm a locust plague.

It's not just facebook, but the bullheaded "I'm loving mad and I don't care about your opinion!" attitude is really grating. To quote a friend of a friend butchering a Marilyn Monroe quote:

quote:

OK I ADMIT IT.....IM A BITCH! I make mistakes, Im outta control n at times Im hard 2 handle but if u cant handle me at my worst u sure as HELL dont deserve me at my BEST!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm a republican victory

mng posted:

I'm a locust plague.

It's not just facebook, but the bullheaded "I'm loving mad and I don't care about your opinion!" attitude is really grating. To quote a friend of a friend butchering a Marilyn Monroe quote:
I dunno, I can empathize. A lot of people go through lovely childhoods and end up a bit hosed up. When you grow up getting negative attention no matter what you do, learning when people are making legitimate criticism and just being massive turds to you for no reason is hard.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Rudager posted:

What I heard (from an unverified source) is that they can't test every individual donation, so they combine multiple donations from the same type and test that. If there is a positive, they have to throw out all the blood. Plus, yes, false negatives and false positives. Don't quote me on that though, because I don't know if it's true or not.

I recently read that the Red Cross (I think?) is reconsidering its position on gay and bi men donating, so there may be hope for the future. I, for one, think this is a good problem to have (though of course I hope we can solve it). Less than 30% of eligible Americans don't donate at all, and many more don't donate regularly. You have my kudos for being willing to donate, and I get why you're mad about it. I hope you're willing to safely donate in the future.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Macaluso posted:

You can't post Carrot Facts and not also include at least one of his tweets where he doesn't even mention carrots and instead mentions how much he misses Megan!

Oh, that's an actual thing? I thought the other person who mentioned it was just riffing on XKCD.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This really doesn't seem like a good message to be sending.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
Also, Vikings are probably not the best people to spread that belief, considering their cultures were indeed "hurt" by words. (Those words being Christianity.)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Maggie Fletcher posted:

What I heard (from an unverified source) is that they can't test every individual donation, so they combine multiple donations from the same type and test that. If there is a positive, they have to throw out all the blood. Plus, yes, false negatives and false positives. Don't quote me on that though, because I don't know if it's true or not.

I recently read that the Red Cross (I think?) is reconsidering its position on gay and bi men donating, so there may be hope for the future. I, for one, think this is a good problem to have (though of course I hope we can solve it). Less than 30% of eligible Americans don't donate at all, and many more don't donate regularly. You have my kudos for being willing to donate, and I get why you're mad about it. I hope you're willing to safely donate in the future.

Also lets be real it's a thing many gay men lie about. Unless you show up to the donation place in a gold speedo with FAG printed on the butt while your husband waves a rainbow flag behind you it's not like they can force you into telling the truth.

TrekBek posted:

Also, Vikings are probably not the best people to spread that belief, considering their cultures were indeed "hurt" by words. (Those words being Christianity.)

A better example would be that Vikings commonly engaged in a very ribald and offensive form of slam poetry that was literally based on insulting your enemy into submission. The effect of Christianity wasn't as divisive as popular culture would have you believe and a lot of other elements (like the lack of a hardy population and large agriculture areas hurting Scandinavia's ability to compete with rivals during the transition from groups of warrior tribes to large unified kingdoms) were much more important in the dismantling of Viking culture. For example: Christian Vikings discovered America, and the last Viking king (who's death usually denotes the end of the Viking Age) was a Christian who was slain in battle by Christians also of Viking descent. Vikings never really "died out" so much as they became the foundation for modern England (through the descendants of Rollo and William the Conquerer who were both of Viking bloodlines), Ireland and Denmark (the laws of 1200-1500's Denmark are essentially the same as the laws of Viking times with some slight additions) and in a very literal sense the government and people of Iceland are direct descendants of the Vikings and can be considered to be legitimate heirs to their culture and traditions (many of which remain unchanged even today).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

A better example would be that Vikings commonly engaged in a very ribald and offensive form of slam poetry that was literally based on insulting your enemy into submission. The effect of Christianity wasn't as divisive as popular culture would have you believe and a lot of other elements (like the lack of a hardy population and large agriculture areas hurting Scandinavia's ability to compete with rivals during the transition from groups of warrior tribes to large unified kingdoms) were much more important in the dismantling of Viking culture. For example: Christian Vikings discovered America, and the last Viking king (who's death usually denotes the end of the Viking Age) was a Christian who was slain in battle by Christians also of Viking descent. Vikings never really "died out" so much as they became the foundation for modern England (through the descendants of Rollo and William the Conquerer who were both of Viking bloodlines), Ireland and Denmark (the laws of 1200-1500's Denmark are essentially the same as the laws of Viking times with some slight additions) and in a very literal sense the government and people of Iceland are direct descendants of the Vikings and can be considered to be legitimate heirs to their culture and traditions (many of which remain unchanged even today).

Their horned helms looked pretty dumb too.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

kazil posted:

Their horned helms looked pretty dumb too.
They didn't actually have horned helmets.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Strudel Man posted:

They didn't actually have horned helmets.

:thejoke:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Don't really see how that works as a joke contextually, but sure, whatever.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TrekBek posted:

In ancient Iceland calling someone a 'fag' was an attack on their reputation, which was legitimate justification for murdering them if they did not rescind those words.

"Cousins may die, livestock may die, we die all the same, but reputation never dies." as the ol' saying goes.

Also the people of Iceland are practically equally norse and celtic they had so many slaves.

In any case, Christianity was voted in as country religion/law so that was that. Of course, if the Norwegian king hadn't been harping on about it no-one woulda cared but eh.

Deceitful Penguin has a new favorite as of 10:47 on Nov 8, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Blood usually gets tested but plasma gets pooled. You can't meaningfully pool blood because the white blood cells will get all crotchety and kill everything. It's really cool, one of my longtime customers tests pooled plasma and everything needs to be super sensitive. About 2 years ago, they switched to larger pools so the tests had to be calibrated to be even more sensitive.

Also, there were a lot of bad decisions made in the '80s that basically demonstrate that the blood industry is utterly unable to regulate itself. Some groups, like AABB, actively resisted testing for hepatitis (this was before HIV was identified, but nearly all samples that were hepatitis free were also free of the then-unidentified vector for GRID). Not killing people cut into their bottom line. And after laws were passed to fix this situation, they just sold the contaminated poo poo on the international market. Really hardcore evil poo poo.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Literally blood money.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's the same here with people from Africa having similar rates of HIV crap, but because it was written by old shits before we allowed foreign people into the country they're allowed to donate.

It's the same thing with bone marrow transplants, where simply because of 'statistics' that apply to several other groups as well, homosexuals aren't allowed to apply.

The UK blood service also prevents you from donating if you've been to a malarial zone in the last X months or hosed anyone while travelling in areas where AIDS is prevalent, or if you've ever been a prostitute or ever injected IV drugs.

Blood donation isn't there to make the donor feel good, it's done to save the lives of the recipients (also the UK system doesn't allow payment for blood so no one is missing out on potential income). If the statistics have changed or are out of date or were wrong in the first place and being gay is no longer (or never was) a substantial risk factor, then they should most certainly change the rules. If it is a significant risk factor, then they shouldn't.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Don't really see how that works as a joke contextually, but sure, whatever.

:spergin:

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
People on Tumblr think they are so deep and thoughtful.

More than 22,000 likes and re-blogs.

Really makes you think.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Isn't that a Coldplay lyric?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Look, motherfucker, those are MY stars.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Praseodymi posted:

Yes, it's from yellow.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Oh man the universe....just makes me feel so small ya know?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
original song lyrics plz don't steel

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Praseodymi posted:

Half of tumblr (and instagram, and twitter and any social media really) is badly attributed song lyrics to make the OP seem ~*~special~*~. Obviously in the case of tumblr the other half is oppression olympics but we already knew that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

Blood donation isn't there to make the donor feel good, it's done to save the lives of the recipients (also the UK system doesn't allow payment for blood so no one is missing out on potential income). If the statistics have changed or are out of date or were wrong in the first place and being gay is no longer (or never was) a substantial risk factor, then they should most certainly change the rules. If it is a significant risk factor, then they shouldn't.

In the US, if you have sex with a person of the opposite sex who you know is HIV positive, you are only banned from giving blood for one year. On the other hand, if you are a man and have ever had sex with a man, you are banned for life. I don't believe you can look at those two rules together, and think that they are based on anything other than fear. There is also an near-constant blood shortage in the US. Limiting the donor pool unnecessarily can kill people.

Additionally, while you may argue that giving blood is about saving lives, not making the donor feel good, every person in America who goes to donate blood is told that if they are a man who has had sex with a man, they cannot give blood. This is the government reinforcing the idea that gay sex (even once!) is innately dangerous, even when compared with heterosexual sex with an HIV positive partner. This is irrational stigma with the official stamp of FDA approval.

Changing the rules on blood donation are not some fringe idea. It's something that the American Red Cross has been lobbying for. "The FDA is responsible for determining donor eligibility requirements and the Red Cross is required to follow their decisions. However, the Red Cross does support the use of rational, scientifically-based deferral periods that are applied fairly and consistently among donors who engage in similar risk activities. We will continue to work through the AABB (American Association of Blood Banks) to press for donor deferral policies that are fair and consistent and based on scientific evidence, while still protecting patients from potential harm."

Now for some idiots on social media from STFU Parents:

• Locked thread