Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

hup posted:

What do his heads look like

This is very important

From the video, one head has a crown which just seems so fitting. I'd imagine most heads are similarly adorned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Tezzeract posted:

Do you have to get the G2A shield?

Presumably there's a risk without it, but how much of a risk, I have no idea.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tezzeract posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciPEXxNsfeQ

Here's a good video preview of Jack.

And apparently they can't possibly make back the money spent on Tiny Tina DLC. Sounds like the new campaign DLC might be along those lines.

So Randy Pitchford's theory behind the body double is that if you are playing as the doppelganger, the REAL body double is the NPC Jack and the player's Jack is the real one. Then he goes on to say that he'll leave it up to us to decide whether that's canon or not. Part of me hopes that isn't just a a one-off joke just because it'd be funny and stupid.

edit: Inspire has been confirmed to do absolutely nothing but make Jack say more funny monologues. I am pleased with this outcome.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 7, 2014

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

So Randy Pitchford's theory behind the body double is that if you are playing as the doppelganger, the REAL body double is the NPC Jack and the player's Jack is the real one. Then he goes on to say that he'll leave it up to us to decide whether that's canon or not. Part of me hopes that isn't just a a one-off joke just because it'd be funny and stupid.

Why do that? We already know where the (a) body double ends up in BL2. It makes no sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mastersord posted:

Why do that? We already know where the (a) body double ends up in BL2. It makes no sense.

"It makes no sense" means nothing because it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not. The story of this game is narrated by Athena even though 3 out of 4 times she isn't present at all. It's pretty obvious that they don't care. It's a single-line excuse to make the doppelganger class be the real Jack instead of a doppelganger of Jack.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

CJacobs posted:

"It makes no sense" means nothing because it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not. The story of this game is narrated by Athena even though 3 out of 4 times she isn't present at all. It's pretty obvious that they don't care. It's a single-line excuse to make the doppelganger class be the real Jack instead of a doppelganger of Jack.

Actually its you, the player, who decides whether this is the real Jack or not. And as we all know mgiving the player more power is good game design.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CJacobs posted:

edit: Inspire has been confirmed to do absolutely nothing but make Jack say more funny monologues. I am pleased with this outcome.

I'm miffed cause they're all excited about Jack having random monologues but they went and took away all of Krieg's monologues. :mad:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I'm miffed cause they're all excited about Jack having random monologues but they went and took away all of Krieg's monologues. :mad:

Maybe if Krieg had his monologues assigned to a "Let's Meet the Meat" skill. (I know it was kinda skill based, but since it did other things at the same time, eh...)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I've played through the first 10 levels of three classes now. Damnit now I want to play the Jack guy. I hate the first few hours of Borderlands games-- I keep replaying them over and over trying to pick a class I like more to finish the game with.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Turns out this is how they'll get Jack in Borderlands 3.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

mycot posted:

Maybe if Krieg had his monologues assigned to a "Let's Meet the Meat" skill. (I know it was kinda skill based, but since it did other things at the same time, eh...)

I guess it was a bad idea tying it to the capstone skill, but still. Miffed.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It looks like Jack will be making an appearance in Tales From the Borderlands, but for all we know that's some form of data recording or flashback.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm still annoyed they picked Claptrap over Jack for Poker Night at the Inventory 2.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

mycot posted:

I'm still annoyed they picked Claptrap over Jack for Poker Night at the Inventory 2.

Well what would Jack give up if he runs outta betting money? Hyperion? His 2nd face? His doppelganger device thingy?
... actually, yeah. That's another reason why Jack should be in Poker Night 2.

Also, can we call the playable Jack/the evil Jack "New Jack"?

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
Wow, when people said things will roll to 50 after you beat TVHM I assumed there would be a third playthrough for me to get the level 50 weapons of the quests. Guess I'll just have to purposely skip certain quests while getting another character to 50.

Maybe just grind in the open world to 50 before doing content?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

widespread posted:

Well what would Jack give up if he runs outta betting money? His 2nd face?

That's the unlock in Team Fortress 2 for beating Claptrap in Poker Night 2, so yes, nothing would even have to change.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

CJacobs posted:

That's the unlock in Team Fortress 2 for beating Claptrap in Poker Night 2, so yes, nothing would even have to change.

Oh. Wait, how in the bloody gently caress did Claptrap literally steal Jack's f- y'know what. Nevermind. I don't wanna delve too deep in possible post-BL2 lore.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

widespread posted:

Oh. Wait, how in the bloody gently caress did Claptrap literally steal Jack's f- y'know what. Nevermind. I don't wanna delve too deep in possible post-BL2 lore.

Well you do literally loot it off his body at the end of 2. Maybe Claptrap got it because nobody wanted it because it's so creepy.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

mycot posted:

Well you do literally loot it off his body at the end of 2. Maybe Claptrap got it because nobody wanted it because it's so creepy.

I know I wouldn't wear Jack's Mask when there's already a buncha great heads for everyone in BL2.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
"Let's turn it into an ashtray! Anybody smoke?"
"No."
"No."
"No."
"No."
"SMOKE IS FAKE FIRE!"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mycot posted:

Well you do literally loot it off his body at the end of 2. Maybe Claptrap got it because nobody wanted it because it's so loving great.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

... I think I have to beat BL2 now. Jack faces for everyone!
Plus the whole thing about "We jacked Jack's face off." or something bad and punny.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

lazerwolf posted:

From the video, one head has a crown which just seems so fitting. I'd imagine most heads are similarly adorned.

Yeah I put that fucker on right away during character creation.

PSN: DrSmasher if any PS3 goons want someone to murder people with

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Holy poo poo I just fought RK5 on TVHM and you guys weren't kidding. On Normal he wasn't really fun but not that awful; on TVHM he's loving terrible. A random boss completely unrelated to the plot who you have to fight in either a wide open area which he strafes mercilessly (which is dumb) or a little elevator-enclosed hidey-hole that you occasionally peak out of and potshot at him (which is boring). Add to that that he's constantly calling in small-fry adds who have very high health and love to keep their distance, making them very difficult to get second winds off of, and it's a horrific grindfest. Add to that that I'm a Xiphos-specced Athena and he completely invalidates my main method of attack, and his health replenishes to full if you die, and you've got the recipe for easily the worst battle in the game.

I mean, it's hard, but I don't have a problem with hard. The problem is that it is horrifically unfun.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I actually enjoyed it somewhat as Wilhelm, because Wolf could do a great job of clearing those adds for me. It was probably the least-fun boss though.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

RK5 is the only reason to ever use a corrosive weapon in this game.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
The excalibastard and 2 of the legendary Oz kits are the only legendaries which I have never seen drop from random mobs, chests, or vendors. Can anyone else confirm or deny? Has anyone found an excalibastard from a random drop?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Excalibastard is specifically coded not to drop from anything at all IIRC. Not sure about the other things.

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

watho posted:

RK5 is the only reason to ever use a corrosive weapon in this game.

This is my biggest disappointment with this game. Nearly every enemy is shields+health, but a large proportion of the time you can't really use fire since there isn't an atmosphere. This makes shock the best element by far. Also it may just be the more open areas and higher mobility but I feel like there just isn't the same enemy density in this game as in BL2.

Also I am sad that the only elemental-focused spec is limited to fast fire+shock weapons.

Fun game though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Common Sensei posted:

This is my biggest disappointment with this game. Nearly every enemy is shields+health, but a large proportion of the time you can't really use fire since there isn't an atmosphere. This makes shock the best element by far.

Well Ice is also pretty awesome, with a high enough freeze chance. Obviously things like the Frigia are incredibly powerful but even lesser non unique ice stuff works incredibly well.

Having said that it still kind of cuts down the number of useful loot drops. Before you had x chance of finding a good weapon, now it's x chance minus 20% because corrosive is essentially worthless.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
loving hell, I just realized how appropriate the oxygen kits being Oz kits is considering we're dealing with space Australians. Am I late to the pun party?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oddly enough Corrosive doesn't seem that much better on armored enemies compared to Shock/Normal/Explosive, even on TVHM where (I assume) elemental weaknesses and resists are greater.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Shock has always been the best element :colbert:

Fire is still pretty good, since you still get the damage increase against flesh.
I don't know if Athena's Maelstrom stacks increase the elemental bullet damage though. I have a feeling they don't...
But with such high Elemental Effect Chance, you're going to have shock DoTs all over the place.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I can't beat Deadlift. Tried over 10 times and each time he's just whooped my rear end. Anyone playing on xbox 360?

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

mastersord posted:

The excalibastard and 2 of the legendary Oz kits are the only legendaries which I have never seen drop from random mobs, chests, or vendors. Can anyone else confirm or deny? Has anyone found an excalibastard from a random drop?

One of the oz kits is a quest reward

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Fraction posted:

I can't beat Deadlift. Tried over 10 times and each time he's just whooped my rear end. Anyone playing on xbox 360?

Did you do the echo sidequest? If gives you a sniper that works on shields. Use that when he is standing there on the intro and strolling around. Then jump pad to first level and go back and forth on the stairs

That's how I take him down

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

^^ It's been ages since I've played borderlands; forgot all about side quests. loving duh. Ty.

E
Couldn't figure out how to get into the building Springs was in (the door was shut?), so went for a wander, died, and respawned in the building. The door is still shut. How do I get out :saddowns:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 8, 2014

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

AirRaid posted:

Well Ice is also pretty awesome, with a high enough freeze chance. Obviously things like the Frigia are incredibly powerful but even lesser non unique ice stuff works incredibly well.

Having said that it still kind of cuts down the number of useful loot drops. Before you had x chance of finding a good weapon, now it's x chance minus 20% because corrosive is essentially worthless.

Corrosive is nice for building stacks of maniacal laughter without killing everything.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i got the new version of the gunerang, the shooterang.

its funny, but thank god for the grinder so i can hopefully re roll it to something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Bee posted:

loving hell, I just realized how appropriate the oxygen kits being Oz kits is considering we're dealing with space Australians. Am I late to the pun party?

Also, Moxxie's bar is called the Up Over, the In Spaaace version of Down Under.

• Locked thread