Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Jedit posted:

For this horse pun, you shall face my unbridled wrath.
Neigh chance of that, I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I would behoove the government to pony up the cash to maintain standards at the NHS now, rather than attempting to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

sebzilla posted:

I would behoove the government to pony up the cash to maintain standards at the NHS now, rather than attempting to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted.

It's a complete night mare.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Here is my position on this matter

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

All this horsing around is really taking us at a quick gait away from the real issues.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Spangly A posted:

haway the toon

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

All good points that still feel hard to accept when compared to the incredible damage the Tories have done with their non-majority non-mandate. But that's hind sight I guess. I just think that absolutely anything should have been done to stop this last four years. It's not just the actual changes to policy. It's the constant poisoning of society. It has been nothing but the demonisation of the poor, the disabled, the foreign, the EU, Badgers. They've successfully turned us into a very negative culture. It would be interesting to see if the Daily Mail has sold better these last couple of years because I listen to people and they have nothing good to say. nothing happy about their own lives or anyone around them. They feel miserable and wish misery on others. It did not feel this bad even in the darkest days of Labour. The fuckers have barely governed the country and just seemed to put things on autopilot but as agents of changing society for the worst they've been amazingly successful.

The UK is boomtown at the moment and is set to become Europe's second largest economy; good luck to anyone trying to prove it isn't due to the Conservatives. I think they've got the next election in the bag.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Luckily the Tory right is dragging the party way beyond what most people would consider reasonable or fair. It could be a slam dunk for labour as long as no one does anything silly like vote for the greens or SNP.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Burqa King posted:

Luckily the Tory right is dragging the party way beyond what most people would consider reasonable or fair. It could be a slam dunk for labour as long as no one does anything silly like vote for the greens or SNP.

It makes more sense for me to Vote Lib Dem in Brecon and Radnorshire than Labour. Labour's not done very well here the past few elections, it's usually a run between Conservatives and the Lib Dem's.

If we're doing tactical voting now you should probably check who's actually likely to win the seat then vote for the one that isn't as much of a bastard. Voting SNP might be preferable over voting Labour if you don't want the Conservatives to win.

The real question is if you're in a deeply Conservative area do you vote with your heart or thrown one at UKIP in the hope of further fracturing the Conservatives?

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 8, 2014

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

Burqa King posted:

I know it is early days, but as it stands I think Labour are going to lose their grip on Scotland.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Fans posted:

It makes more sense for me to Vote Lib Dem in Brecon and Radnorshire than Labour. Labour's not done very well here the past few elections, it's usually a run between Conservatives and the Lib Dem's.

If we're doing tactical voting now you should probably check who's actually likely to win the seat then vote for the one that isn't as much of a bastard. Voting SNP might be preferable over voting Labour if you don't want the Conservatives to win.

The real question is if you're in a deeply Conservative area do you vote with your heart or thrown one at UKIP in the hope of further fracturing the Conservatives?

Cal it womens intuition, but I've got a feeling the lib dems aren't going to do terribly well this time round.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Burqa King posted:

Cal it womens intuition, but I've got a feeling the lib dems aren't going to do terribly well this time round.

In most places yes but Roger Williams is pretty well liked and voted against all the stuff that people hate the Lib Dems for voting for.

Probably still going to lose it to the Conservatives but if he re-runs he's got a better chance than most.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

Amateur.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Leaked documents show the Police actively collaborated with anti-Union blacklist operations as recently as 2008:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/08/police-colluded-blacklist-construction-workers-consulting-association-union-activists

quote:

Scotland Yard has been accused of seeking to cover up its involvement in the blacklisting of more than 3,200 construction workers following the emergence of minutes of a meeting between a senior officer in its anti-extremism unit and the organisation running the list.

The leaked document proves that as late as 2008 a detective chief inspector in the National Extremism Tactical Coordination Unit (Netcu) briefed members of the Consulting Association, the secretive organisation that ran the blacklist keeping people out of work for decades. The association, which had a database of 3,213 names on which it held information, was raided and closed in 2009 by the Information Commissioner’s Office, but not before it destroyed the professional and personal lives of thousands of workers, according to those on the list.

A committee of MPs holding an inquiry into its activities heard evidence that at least two of those blacklisted committed suicide as a result. In 2012 the Information Commissioner’s Office told an employment tribunal that it believed information held in the files was from the police or security services.

But any suggestion police surveillance is used to undermine left wing organisations and unions is of course a conspiracy theory. COINTELRPO LOL!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Leaked documents show the Police actively collaborated with anti-Union blacklist operations as recently as 2008:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/08/police-colluded-blacklist-construction-workers-consulting-association-union-activists

But any suggestion police surveillance is used to undermine left wing organisations and unions is of course a conspiracy theory. COINTELRPO LOL!

Well, yeah. Thats what the anti-extremism unit does when they aren't impregnating Green Peace activists.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Don't punch horses guys, solidarity

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
donkey punching is fine though

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That could be problematic.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
In wonder if they do the same with far right groups

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not wanting to die at work is "far left" now?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/never-again-antiwar-veterans-to-carry-whitepoppy-wreath-to-cenotaph-9833246.html

quote:

'Never again': Anti-war veterans to carry white-poppy wreath to Cenotaph
Former SAS serviceman Ben Griffin says they will honour all of those killed in war 'including civilians and foreign soldiers'

A former soldier who set up an organisation for veterans campaigning against war will lead an alternative Remembrance Service next Sunday.

Ben Griffin founded Veterans For Peace in 2011 after discovering many war veterans supported his disillusion towards war. A former serviceman in the Parachute Regiment and Special Air Service division, he was discharged from the army in 2005 for refusing to continue serving in Iraq. In 2008 he spoke to an anti-war rally about UK involvement in extraordinary rendition the day before he was served with an injunction preventing him from speaking publicly about his time in the SAS.

As part of the service, veterans will walk to the Cenotaph memorial outside Whitehall, London, under the banner ‘Never Again’ carrying a wreath of white poppies to acknowledge civilians killed in modern warfare. They will also wear t-shirts bearing the message ‘War is Organised Murder’, a quote from Harry Patch, the last survivor of the First World War.

Griffin says they will honour all of those killed in war “including civilians and foreign soldiers”, but insists their primary objective is to educate the general population on the “true nature of warfare and to resist war and militarism through nonviolent action”.

Here he answers questions – which were restricted by the injunction he is still under - about his plans.

I served in the Parachute Regiment and Special Air Service on operations in Ireland, Macedonia, Afghanistan and Iraq. I founded Veterans For Peace UK in 2011 after realising that there were many other veterans who after experiencing war wanted to campaign against it.[...]

Theres a Q&A in the link with him.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

tooterfish posted:

Not wanting to die at work is "far left" now?

Of course environmental protesters aren't far left but right wingers are always trying to push the Overton window further to the right and hey, dismissing your opponents as extremists is a time honoured tradition for the right.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Someone in Labour is really trying to knife Miliband.

The EU payment story on Friday kicked the Labour problems out of the media cycle and back onto Tory problems, which if left alone would have been compounded even more this week in the run up to the by-election which the Tories will almost certainly lose, then the aftermath of which will be even worse for the Tories. There is a good summarisation here: http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/11/08/downing-street-might-have-just-saved-ed-miliband/ All Labour had to do was stay quiet.

Now this: Ed Miliband in new crisis as senior Labour MPs back a leadership change

quote:

Ed Miliband’s Labour party leadership was plunged into fresh crisis as senior Labour MPs revealed that at least 20 shadow ministers were on the brink of calling for him to stand down.

The frontbenchers are willing to go public with their demand if the former home secretary, Alan Johnson, indicates that he would be prepared to step into the breach, should Labour be left leaderless just months from a general election. The senior status of the potential rebels and their numbers represent another grievous blow to Miliband’s authority, after attempts by his aides to minimise the extent of dissatisfaction in the party.

The rebels are drawn from across the political spectrum within the party and say they are airing their discontent in response to attempts by Miliband’s aides to belittle the depth and reach of unhappiness among his MPs.

Three senior Labour MPs contacted the Observer on Saturday to confirm that the frontbenchers were ready to strike. One said: “It has reached critical mass now.” Another said: “There isn’t a letter [demanding Miliband’s resignation] but there could be one very quickly.” A third said: “There is a significant number of frontbenchers who are concerned about Ed’s leadership – or lack of leadership – and would be ready to support someone who is a viable candidate. Alan is that candidate. If Alan indicated he would do it, there would be a massive move”.

The development comes as an Opinium/Observer poll suggests that, for the first time, less than half of Labour voters (49%) approve of Miliband’s leadership – although the party is on 32%, still ahead of the Tories by three points.

If he is going to get kicked out it is going to be now.

twoot fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 9, 2014

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Unless they're deliberately throwing the election this is dumb as hell. The public may not like Miliband but they'll hate the backstabbing lying politician that replaces him. The right wing media will make sure of that. I would guess they think they can keep their current poll standing and get a boost and a honeymoon period from a more popular leader. Instead they'll learn traitors aren't very popular.

Assuming Johnson doesn't take the position (he's had ample chance if he wants it) and they do much more damage to Miliband they're stuck with thug Balls or perhaps Blairite Burnham. If UKIP has pleased Satan sufficiently Umunna might become leader, he alienates working class whites on policy and by being black!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The thing is, exactly who is going to take over? Labour are probably actively trying to throw the election at this moment.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Why would Labour intentionally try to lose a general election?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

big scary monsters posted:

Why would Labour intentionally try to lose a general election?

There is a semi-serious argument that the Tories have by accident or design created a number of major problems that will occur over the next five years. If Labour are in power when they go off it will cement the idea Labour can't be trusted with the economy.

Of course even then it would be best for the population that Labour were in power when things went bad because in 2007 they tried to fix things rather than go full disaster capitalism on the nation. Labour as a going concern would be better off out of government though.

Really though, it provides some comfort to think the least bad party aren't utterly incompetent assholes.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

ReV VAdAUL posted:

There is a semi-serious argument that the Tories have by accident or design created a number of major problems that will occur over the next five years. If Labour are in power when they go off it will cement the idea Labour can't be trusted with the economy.

They said this about Black Wednesday too. Winning in 1992 was a poisoned chalice for the Conservatives - if Labour had been in power when the ERM failed then their reputation for profligate economic incompetence would have been reconfirmed and it would have utterly destroyed the party for a generation. As it was though, even though a Kinnock government would have gone into the ERM in exactly the same way and suffered exactly the same disaster, they were able to pass through unscathed and give a body-blow to the Conservatives' status as careful stewards of state.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 9, 2014

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009
Keeping Miliband as leader counts as throwing the election as well, he is unelectable and most of his party know it. It's worth taking the chance on a replacement.

Aromatic Stretch fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 9, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Of course even then it would be best for the population that Labour were in power when things went bad because in 2007 they tried to fix things rather than go full disaster capitalism on the nation. Labour as a going concern would be better off out of government though.

Really though, it provides some comfort to think the least bad party aren't utterly incompetent assholes.

Labour left a lot of timebombs too, tuition fees being the major example. It's really no way to run a country.

There are probably some strategists at Labour HQ looking at projections for next year and probably wondering if it'd be safer for the party's prospects in 2016-20 to lose to the Tories in 2015. The party machinery is a lot stronger in Labour than the Tories or Lib Dems.

Aromatic Stretch posted:

Keeping Milliband as leader counts as throwing the election as well, he is unelectable and most of his party know it. It's worth taking the chance on a replacement.

Clegg hasn't been ditched by the Lib Dems either, and probably for the same reason: it'd be electoral suicide to do so. There's no clear answer to the answer of who would want to take that poison pill: neither Johnson or Farron would want to take their parties into a disastrous election, they want to lead them during a period of renewal.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 9, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
No one ever throws elections and nobody intentionally leaves timebombs for their successor government. For that matter, how could tuition fees even count as a timebomb? Labour introduced them during Blair's first term - is the suggestion that they were deliberately setting a trap for their own future selves?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

LemonDrizzle posted:

No one ever throws elections and nobody intentionally leaves timebombs for their successor government

Universal Credit is a timebomb and I'm pretty sure everyone in parliament except maybe IDS is fully aware of this.

e; also I'm pretty sure there's no way Labour can save the NHS without committing electoral suicide. That's not really a bomb though as the Tories will be able to pull out the "see, privatisation was correct all along!" card.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

No one ever throws elections and nobody intentionally leaves timebombs for their successor government. For that matter, how could tuition fees even count as a timebomb? Labour introduced them during Blair's first term - is the suggestion that they were deliberately setting a trap for their own future selves?

Labour set up the Browne Review in 2009, and the Cabinet minister responsible for HE – Lord Mandelson – was open about the fact he was okay with five-figure fees. The Review was set to report back in Autumn 2010, and I don't think anyone seriously thought Labour would be in power then.

For all :clegg: did with the pledge, Labour are also loving nasty on HE funding. Their closeness with a lot of NUS Presidents has pushed the NUS to drop free education policies twice – once by Jim Murphy, once with the lobbying of Wes Streeting and NOLS –, they've broken two promises on fees and used dodgy semantics to squirm out of it, and their proposed Grand Plan to cut fees to £6k is basically a tax cut for rich graduates that'll be no doubt "paid for" by cutting maintenance grants.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Thanks for posting this, been following the blacklisting cases close because it affected my family. Definitive proof the police were in on it was all I needed to become extremely pissed off about it all. Before that I was merely normally pissed.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
So when did the theme of Armistice Day change from 'war is hell' to 'BACK OUR BOYS :britain: :argh:'? I must have missed it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Answers Me posted:

So when did the theme of Armistice Day change from 'war is hell' to 'BACK OUR BOYS :britain: :argh:'? I must have missed it

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Answers Me posted:

When they changed it "remembrance day" christ almighty read your Vonnegut

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Answers Me posted:

Probably when the newspapers started calling it Poppy Day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Answers Me posted:

I've just come back from a small local service where the entire first half was based around "we lay these wreathes for those who had no graves, left dead in the mud by engines of mechanized death", so I guess it's still there at the actual core of it.

The homily did include a section on the enemies and conflicts of our modern age, including inequality and 'financial systems based on greed', so maybe it was run by undercover leftists or actual Christians :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

TinTower posted:

Labour set up the Browne Review in 2009, and the Cabinet minister responsible for HE – Lord Mandelson – was open about the fact he was okay with five-figure fees. The Review was set to report back in Autumn 2010, and I don't think anyone seriously thought Labour would be in power then.

For all :clegg: did with the pledge, Labour are also loving nasty on HE funding. Their closeness with a lot of NUS Presidents has pushed the NUS to drop free education policies twice – once by Jim Murphy, once with the lobbying of Wes Streeting and NOLS –, they've broken two promises on fees and used dodgy semantics to squirm out of it, and their proposed Grand Plan to cut fees to £6k is basically a tax cut for rich graduates that'll be no doubt "paid for" by cutting maintenance grants.

Surely a timebomb is something that you know is bad and are setting up just out of spite, though? If Mandelson was OK with five figure fees (and if you're OK with the tuition fee/loan system in general, I don't see why you wouldn't be), then there's no time bomb, just a continuation of established policy.

• Locked thread