Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009
So I guess Steven Moffat's kids were really big fans of Iron Man 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

All I know is that I really, really, really hope this isn't the last time we see Michelle Gomez as the Master, because she was utterly brilliant.

Episode was very bittersweet but felt like a good ending to the season and the themes/questions it had asked. The Cybermen were used well as props but that certainly wasn't a Cyberman-centric story. I loved that the Doctor and Clara went their separate ways just flat out lying to each other to make the other person feel better, and the "You made me feel special, thank you" "the same goes to you" was really nice.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Wow, that was pretty depressing. Gave Capaldi a good opportunity to work out a few more acting chops than 'angry', 'irritated' and 'cross', though.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Jerusalem posted:

This Christmas: Doctor Who and Santa Claus fight Xenomorphs because why the gently caress not?

Don't forget the elves. Having a straight-up panto elf at either shoulder just added so much.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

OH MY GOD IT'S NICK FROST :neckbeard:

Rest of episode, Cybermen poo poo and also now Iron Mans, Danny turned into a real rear end in a top hat when he died, and the Master was great. Bet she was driving the car. Also not dead, like a lovely worthless Cyberman is going to do anything.

Also I liked that Clara and the Doctor both lied to each other one last time.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ehhhh that was alright but most of the attempts at emotion were too contrived to work for me at all.

The bit where it's revealed than The Doctor gave Danny some magic power to literally some magic bracelet that lets him literally return from the dead then he send dead Iraqi kid back was so dumb and lazy that I'm going to punch Steven Moffat in the stomach right now.

dark_archon
Jan 11, 2008
TITLE TEXT!
I loved it. And I'm guessing we're supposed to believe that Missy is still alive due to the fact that she has a bracelet on so she can just return, right?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also that skydive was the best loving thing. Capaldi for next James Bond too please.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I hope Gomez sticks around as the Master for a long time, she's magnificent.

I want her to show up again. The Doctor asks how she survived getting disintegrated by Cyber-Brig right in front of him, and she just rolls her eyes.

I was actually expecting her little disintegrator toy to actually be a teleporter device of some kind, and for the Doctor to shoot her thinking he was killing her, when actually he was just teleporting her right to her TARDIS.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
I just wish michelle gomez was just teleported or something. seriously. you know this is not the end of the master. why get rid of such a wonderfully bananas master like that? ( only gripe pretty much. I am sure that if I think about it too much it will fall apart though)

efb x2

Psybro
May 12, 2002
1) Jesus Christ, did someone run over Steven Moffat's cat?

2) My immediate reaction is that after a real return to solid-but-not-scintillating form this series, that was like having a lovely three-course meal with some nice wine and then for dessert you've got meringue.

Meringue is ok, I appreciate that you need to whisk the egg whites and all that, but it's crunchy.

I don't loving like meringue.

3) That crossed the line from dark to nasty. All the way over. I liked the bits where The Doctor is just utterly abject and not even bothering to do anything other than hope The Master would shut up and piss off. But there was no payoff.

Getting rid of Annoying Asthma Girl like that felt like cheap heel heat for The Master, credit to Moffat that I was kind of devastated by that without ever realising I liked her as a character.

And all the stuff with Danny was just bleak. And for what, really? It didn't resolve satisfactorily, and we all got put through the wringer for the ending to The Poison Sky being redone.

We've veered all the way from series finales which were totally lacking in emotional content to something that felt openly, and grubbily, manipulative.

4) I guess what I'm saying is it was alright.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, unless I missed something the whole,"Oh by the way the bracelet can reconstitute exactly one physical body with the mind intact" thing came out of nowhere and was never mentioned by the Doctor at all aside from Clara saying,"Oh yeah he mentioned this to me off-screen between scenes!"

That was the only real issue I had with the episode. The Master's plan being,"I'm going to seed the concept of the afterlife throughout human history in order to con rich people in the present into a position to volunteer to be converted and set in stage the process of creating an infinitely replenishing army of the dead..... and then give it to the Doctor to command JUST TO PROVE A POINT" was loving glorious.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The "death ray" that "killed" the master was blue, unlike every other one shown in the episode, which were all orange. Personally I'm just upset that we didn't get cyber-brig as a new companion.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Couldn't she of just had an army of Cybermen from anywhere show up and turn into clouds?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Wait, so - is that mini-matrix still chilling out spinning around in London? Do people still get uploaded there? Is it an automatic thing?

Is the cyber-brig now just going to fly around the world solving mysteries and fighting crime?

Why go to all the bother of converting the dead? If one mote of cyberdust can turn anything (including a living person) into a cyberman, then you've won everything forever.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

just_a_guy posted:

I just wish michelle gomez was just teleported or something. seriously. you know this is not the end of the master. why get rid of such a wonderfully bananas master like that? ( only gripe pretty much. I am sure that if I think about it too much it will fall apart though)

efb x2

Of course that's what happened, she glowed blue and vanished (i.e. was teleported) rather than puffing into a red cloud like the people she disintegrated.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

The "death ray" that "killed" the master was blue, unlike every other one shown in the episode, which were all orange. Personally I'm just upset that we didn't get cyber-brig as a new companion.

Noxville posted:

Of course that's what happened, she glowed blue and vanished (i.e. was teleported) rather than puffing into a red cloud like the people she disintegrated.

She got shot by Cyber-Brig, not by the Doctor.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Couldn't she of just had an army of Cybermen from anywhere show up and turn into clouds?

I don't think you 'get' Steven Moffat.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah the Master had a pretty great plan this time. And all for a birthday present.

What did the suicide thingies look like in Time Heist again? They were blue but did they look like that?

fake edit: ha, and I just had a vision of this episode as done by RTD and the Cybermen are doing the Gangnam Style dance.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Wait, so - is that mini-matrix still chilling out spinning around in London? Do people still get uploaded there? Is it an automatic thing?

Is the cyber-brig now just going to fly around the world solving mysteries and fighting crime?

Why go to all the bother of converting the dead? If one mote of cyberdust can turn anything (including a living person) into a cyberman, then you've won everything forever.

Because plot.

McDragon posted:

Yeah the Master had a pretty great plan this time. And all for a birthday present.

What did the suicide thingies look like in Time Heist again? They were blue but did they look like that?

fake edit: ha, and I just had a vision of this episode as done by RTD and the Cybermen are doing the Gangnam Style dance.

We've literally seen this episode done by RTD. Cybermen invade Earth, powerful organisations teams up with the Doctor to stop them, bigger enemy is revealed at the end of Part One, and the companion leaves at the end of Part Two with both her and the Doctor not getting to say what they really want to.

Also, it was a lot loving better than this. And Donna on the TARDIS is much better than Santa.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 8, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked it well enough. I might not like it tomorrow, but we'll see.

It was that kind of episode, I guess. :shrug:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That was the only real issue I had with the episode. The Master's plan being,"I'm going to seed the concept of the afterlife throughout human history in order to con rich people in the present into a position to volunteer to be converted and set in stage the process of creating an infinitely replenishing army of the dead..... and then give it to the Doctor to command JUST TO PROVE A POINT" was loving glorious.

I don't think it was to prove a point. I think she genuinely did want her friend back and, because she thinks he's like her, thought that that'd be enough to get senpai to notice her.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also I see Clara decided to move to Cardiff.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

McDragon posted:

Also I see Clara decided to move to Cardiff.

Well apparently so did a prominent London landmark.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, unless I missed something the whole,"Oh by the way the bracelet can reconstitute exactly one physical body with the mind intact" thing came out of nowhere and was never mentioned by the Doctor at all aside from Clara saying,"Oh yeah he mentioned this to me off-screen between scenes!"

It's how Missy has been going in and out of the Nethersphere all this time.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Suddenly I have a whole alternate continuity running around in my head where the doctor has to take the master's offer and it goes like the later Dune books "God emperor Doctor atreides the XII"

Putting humanity on the golden path against the coming of the Daleks

in the end he gets defeated by yet another incarnation of Clara

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Imagine you watched that and for some reason you didn't really know who The Master was. It would make even less sense than it already did, which was none.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Psybro posted:

Imagine you watched that and for some reason you didn't really know who The Master was. It would make even less sense than it already did, which was none.

Even worse: the Brig.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So the Cyberman inhibitor cannot beat True Love?

Even after the resolve, it's clear that Clara never has stopped lying. To Danny and to the Doctor. Looking at that part of her, she wasn't a nice companion. It's probably for the Doctor's best to leave her behind.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
So Amy and Rory just exploded over Manhattan, right?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Teek posted:

And Nanny Clara over London. Probably Wilf too.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Teek posted:

As well as everyone else ever, yes. Except The Brig.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

So the Cyberman inhibitor cannot beat True Love?

Danny never deleted his personality, so even with his emotions turned off he was still capable of reasoning. If anything I'd say it was more duty and discipline, even if he didn't have access to his emotions any more he still knew what was right and wrong and what he was supposed to do in particular situations (like putting a comforting arm around Clara's shoulder when she hugging him).

Carbon dioxide posted:

Even after the resolve, it's clear that Clara never has stopped lying. To Danny and to the Doctor. Looking at that part of her, she wasn't a nice companion. It's probably for the Doctor's best to leave her behind.

Lying by itself isn't a bad thing, it's the reasons you lie. Clara's lies were usually based around (often misguided) attempts to spare people's feelings or make them feel better. Sometimes they were selfish, but usually it was because she thought it was necessary to lie because telling the truth would be worse.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I'm going to struggle to rewatch Day of the Doctor in the future unless Father Christmas Nick Frost brings Osgood back to life, that poo poo was spiteful to feed a villain who you write out in twenty minutes' time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Psybro posted:

I'm going to struggle to rewatch Day of the Doctor in the future unless Father Christmas Nick Frost brings Osgood back to life, that poo poo was spiteful to feed a villain who you write out in twenty minutes' time.

Maybe it was the Zygon one! Or her sister!

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Looking back, I wonder how long Moffat's been planning this episode considering that it uses so many elements introduced in the last series. It seems like he'd been thinking about it for a while.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Danny Pink completely ruined this episode in every possible way. Urghh he was really aweful.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I was really hoping he'd stick around as not-Raiden, but oh well. The makeup and prosthetics would be pretty exhausting, both for the actor and the production team.

Hey, wasn't there a really important bit in "Listen" about how the first time traveler in human history was a descendant of Clara and Danny? Or was it just a descendant of Danny? Either way, how's that gonna work now? Because.... dude kinda blew his only chance to come home.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Well Manicured Man posted:

I was really hoping he'd stick around as not-Raiden, but oh well. The makeup and prosthetics would be pretty exhausting, both for the actor and the production team.

Hey, wasn't there a really important bit in "Listen" about how the first time traveler in human history was a descendant of Clara and Danny? Or was it just a descendant of Danny? Either way, how's that gonna work now? Because.... dude kinda blew his only chance to come home.

Clara is probably pregnant. Personally I'm glad his character is done with. What an abysmal actor and attempt to write a relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well Manicured Man posted:

It was highly suggested that he was descended from Danny and Clara but it was never outright stated, he just said that one of his great-grandparents told him that time-travel runs in the family. Maybe she's pregnant with his kid, maybe that future never happens now (outside of having happened in the Doctor and Clara's past), maybe Nick Frost will pull some Christmas magic and bring Clara and Danny back together.

• Locked thread