Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

MC Nietzche posted:

Yeah, my post is mostly about the front store, we weren't even allowed to have PSE products rung up there, and major poo poo storms brewed up if we got caught with them at all. Pharmacy was too lazy/busy to do their own throwbacks, so sometimes we'd get a basket of poo poo up front and it'd have a PSE advil or something in there and I'd bitch about it to them.

Pharmacy and Front are like 2 totally different worlds, that poo poo was crazy.

They are 2 different worlds. The fact that "lazy" is even a thought is part of why it's annoying there's such a lack of understanding. It's not laziness putting front store items into a basket. It's just called "not our job". If we can do it, we do, but there are far more important things for us to worry about than shelving. My store keeps growing every year to the point where we were already doing 3,000 scripts in a week last month. We had pick up lines lasting over an hour yesterday, and constant 5 pages (75 scripts) to fill both yesterday and today. It's not even busy season yet. Pharmacy is constant deadlines, calls, and fixing problems. There's also the fact that we can help front store with their work, but they can't help with ours due to licensing requirements.

I actually wish we would have a front store item limit at the pharmacy or not take them at all. We had a woman come up to our counter the other day saying she just needed to be rung up for her items 'cuz there was a long line at the front. As if somehow that magically negates the "We'll be right with you" and the 16 scripts we have coming due in half an hour. You're right. Let's just drop everything to help you because you couldn't be bothered to wait for any sort of length of time. It happens way too often.

The Cynical Pharmacist is actually a pretty good eye into the pharmacy world and the issues we deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

a long time ago, I posted in this thread that I had quit my lovely restaurant job. I did... then I went back a week later. then I became manager, then assistant GM, and then co-GM.

the owner of that restaurant is the biggest rear end in a top hat on the planet. basically, if you're a manager there, you're nothing more than a mouthpiece for her because she doesn't speak much English. an employee does a very good job but the owner thinks she's too quiet? you have to fire the employee, or the owner threatens to fire you. servers dealing drugs in the dining room? you can't fire them, we need servers. you point out that it's dumb to charge extra for grilled chicken instead of fried? she cuts your shifts and tells you to mind your own business. a server called OSHA because of your heinous business practices? the owner stalks social media, finds a scapegoat, and fires them. pregnant employee? cut those shifts. if it's wildly illegal, the owner has probably done it.

recently, like two weeks ago, my mom got diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. I flew home for a week to take care of her, then flew back and met with the owner. I told her I needed to be home for Christmas, because it very well might be my mom's last. she freaked out and said I *had* to work Christmas and couldn't I just go home earlier in December? no, no I can't. what the gently caress.

this job has been unnecessarily stressful to the point where my mental health and self-esteem are in the shitter. I have never hated myself as much as I do right now, and I finally quit for good this past Friday.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
So I work in a kmart in australia, and at the start of September our store just finished a complete store refit which started in June.

So now the service desk is located in the back right hand corner, and the checkouts are located right in the middle of the store, where as before hand they were all right at the front entrance.

For the last two months, every single day, multiple times a day, I get to hear such wonderful comments like 'how stupid is it to put the registers in the middle?', 'why do I have to go all the way to the back of the store to return something?' And you just know the tone they use is insinuating that it was my decision, as a self checkout operator, to move everything in the store just to confuse the customer for shits and giggles.

At least the CEO of Kmart Australia told us we could name drop him when customers ask such questions.

And yes, you will need to take your reciept, so that you can show the person at the door that you have paid for the items your leaving with.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Copper For Lyfe posted:

So I work in a kmart in australia, and at the start of September our store just finished a complete store refit which started in June.

So now the service desk is located in the back right hand corner, and the checkouts are located right in the middle of the store, where as before hand they were all right at the front entrance.

For the last two months, every single day, multiple times a day, I get to hear such wonderful comments like 'how stupid is it to put the registers in the middle?', 'why do I have to go all the way to the back of the store to return something?' And you just know the tone they use is insinuating that it was my decision, as a self checkout operator, to move everything in the store just to confuse the customer for shits and giggles.

At least the CEO of Kmart Australia told us we could name drop him when customers ask such questions.

And yes, you will need to take your reciept, so that you can show the person at the door that you have paid for the items your leaving with.
It's the funniest decision I've ever seen Kmart make. Why the gently caress did they change it? It's so unintuitive.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Copper For Lyfe posted:

I've never understood the whole central registers thing, except maybe at massive department stores - even then it's kinda weird. A service desk should be at the front of the store if only to ensure that people wishing to do a return aren't entering the store with products they may not have a receipt for; It also makes it more likely that people with complaints/refunds/weird requests will go directly to someone with the authority to deal with the issue rather than accosting a random staff member. And by not making the registers a choke point that people have to pass through in order to leave, it just forces places to hire a separate person to search people as they leave, instead of the checkout operators doing it. Plus it takes longer this way, since a security guard at the door needs to go through all your purchases to ensure they match up with your receipt, whereas a checkout operator has just put through your purchases, so they know you've bought them and all they have to do is quickly glance inside backpacks/handbags etc.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I honestly have no idea.

One theory I've heard is that by moving the service desk to the back, you dont have giant lines of people returning all their poo poo blocking the front of the store after christmas.

The explanation we were given was so layby, returns, photocenter/entertainment are all at the same counter instead of at 3 different locations around the store. (my store somehow expects all this responsibility to be handled by two people). Having worked the old service desk, as well as the photo center and entertainment by myself, I have no idea how they expect 2 people to do all the work that those three areas requires (and its really showing with our dvd section basically unlabelled, the photo center always out of supplies, layby's constantly going missing etc).

I'm so glad i dodged that bullet as just before I went on holidays a few weeks ago, the Customer Service Manager basically begged me to go back to the new counter saying we'd talk about it after my holidays, then he resigned while I was away. I get paid more to watch 6 self server checkouts and not care about anything, than I would trying to 'manage' that poo poo storm of a counter. Whoever mentioned 'dont give a poo poo' a page or two back is completely spot on with how you should approach retail. Do what your paid to do, cos anything more than that you get no recognition and it becomes expected.

They're trying to knuckle down by following what the return policy actually says which is refunds are only provided if a reciept is shown, but we've caught many people out taking things off the shelf at one end of the store and then trying to return it without a reciept. It is a complete loss prevention nightmare for sure.

bowmore posted:

It's the funniest decision I've ever seen Kmart make. Why the gently caress did they change it? It's so unintuitive.

Nah, the funniest decision was right after implementing a employee bonus scheme based on total sales figures, where in the first six months our store got something like $60,000 divided among the staff (I got something like a $750 bonus), the next thing to implement was 'lowest prices, everyday' which meant getting rid of thousands of products in exchange for the cheap homemaker lines, which meant total sales dropped (profits went up though), so our next bonus was something like $400 between us (I got a $5 gift card). I have never seen morale in a place drop so fast.

Oh yea, speaking of homemaker, you would be surprised how many kettles we get brought back because 'the box didnt contain the base'. The base is inside the kettle so it fits in the box.

Copper For Lyfe fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 3, 2014

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

a long time ago, I posted in this thread that I had quit my lovely restaurant job. I did... then I went back a week later. then I became manager, then assistant GM, and then co-GM.

the owner of that restaurant is the biggest rear end in a top hat on the planet. basically, if you're a manager there, you're nothing more than a mouthpiece for her because she doesn't speak much English. an employee does a very good job but the owner thinks she's too quiet? you have to fire the employee, or the owner threatens to fire you. servers dealing drugs in the dining room? you can't fire them, we need servers. you point out that it's dumb to charge extra for grilled chicken instead of fried? she cuts your shifts and tells you to mind your own business. a server called OSHA because of your heinous business practices? the owner stalks social media, finds a scapegoat, and fires them. pregnant employee? cut those shifts. if it's wildly illegal, the owner has probably done it.

recently, like two weeks ago, my mom got diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. I flew home for a week to take care of her, then flew back and met with the owner. I told her I needed to be home for Christmas, because it very well might be my mom's last. she freaked out and said I *had* to work Christmas and couldn't I just go home earlier in December? no, no I can't. what the gently caress.

this job has been unnecessarily stressful to the point where my mental health and self-esteem are in the shitter. I have never hated myself as much as I do right now, and I finally quit for good this past Friday.

Please tell us that you will be reporting her poo poo to the proper government groups. Places like these make most workers think it is the norm and they grow to accept the abuse.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

Please tell us that you will be reporting her poo poo to the proper government groups. Places like these make most workers think it is the norm and they grow to accept the abuse.

Nothing will happen if I do. Other former managers have tried. Apparently this state does not give a single poo poo.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Copper For Lyfe posted:

You don't have receipt request refusers in Australia? http://consumerist.com/tag/receipt-checking/

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

fordan posted:

You don't have receipt request refusers in Australia? http://consumerist.com/tag/receipt-checking/

I'm one of them, but I'm always unfailingly polite when I refuse. Obviously it's the employee's job, but I am in no way obligated to hang around to get my receipt checked, so I just give a polite 'no thank you' and keep walking. Receipt checking is not as common here as it is in the States, I think.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I've only seen receipt checking at costco/sams/bjs and one Walmart for some reason

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sam's Club (and Costco as well I imagine) it's in the member agreement that you agree to have your receipt checked and they check every single receipt, bar none. I make polite chit-chat with the people at the door when I shop at Sam's Club and help move things around so they can count my items. Anywhere else "No thanks, have a nice day!" and just keep walking.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
So I hate my current non-retail job immensely and I'm looking to get back into retail for the time being to get out of the situation I'm in. I liked my past retail job okay, and I'm thinking anything is less stressful than what I do now (Special Education Aide). I'm really only interested in Petco and Petsmart, because I have working experience with pets. I don't see many people complain about these stores in this thread, are they good or bad to work for? How busy are they for the holidays? The positions I've applied for are Inventory and Pricing, and Stocking.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I work at the golden arches, and man, i'm finally starting to understand what it's like to come home entirely drained of the will to do anything, just feeling like sleeping. But I know that if I do go to sleep, i'll probably end up sleeping clear to 6 AM tomorrow, when I start working again. There's gotta be something better than this, and i'll sure as gently caress find it. But until then, man this really loving sucks. :sigh:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

klapman posted:

I work at the golden arches, and man, i'm finally starting to understand what it's like to come home entirely drained of the will to do anything, just feeling like sleeping. But I know that if I do go to sleep, i'll probably end up sleeping clear to 6 AM tomorrow, when I start working again. There's gotta be something better than this, and i'll sure as gently caress find it. But until then, man this really loving sucks. :sigh:

What's your educational background?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been installing an Intel point of sale application on computers at different stores and my god, today loving children everywhere. Was today a holiday or something? I've had those little fuckers interrupt and cancel installation and uninstallation processes. Eventually instead of having 5 or so PCs doing their thing at once I had to go down to only 2 and stand right in front of them and give death stares at the little shits that came near them.

Get out of here you loving pests, I just need 5 god drat minutes. Where are your loving parents :mad:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Was it in an electronics department and/or somewhere that sells video games?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Dead Pikachu posted:

So I hate my current non-retail job immensely and I'm looking to get back into retail for the time being to get out of the situation I'm in. I liked my past retail job okay, and I'm thinking anything is less stressful than what I do now (Special Education Aide). I'm really only interested in Petco and Petsmart, because I have working experience with pets. I don't see many people complain about these stores in this thread, are they good or bad to work for? How busy are they for the holidays? The positions I've applied for are Inventory and Pricing, and Stocking.

Same as all other retail but add in live animals that are seen as stock and not really alive. Also expect to field a million animal health questions that would styme an exotic vet....and if you don't know the answer clearly you are under qualified to stock dog food.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

^^ Plus you get to see mice eat each other because... mice :confuoot:

I heard my first Christmas music of the season today. gently caress you, Arby's, I love your curly fries but you are an rear end in a top hat. That is all.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

EugeneJ posted:

What's your educational background?

High school only, but there are a surprising number of decent (13$+) jobs in my area that only require a year or two of experience working. Sure they're stuff like call centers and whatnot, but they're generally inbound and i'm ignoring all the ones that do cold calling. And since those count as offices, in a few years after that I should be able to get a conventional office job after using the money from that better job to get some schooling in. Nothing more than technical college of course, but that plus nailing an interview should hopefully get me something. At the very least with all the opportunities I have, I should be able to get something that isn't fast food within 6 months. Hell I don't even mind going back down to minimum wage, just being able to sit down while working would be a godsend! :unsmith:

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

^^ Plus you get to see mice eat each other because... mice :confuoot:

I heard my first Christmas music of the season today. gently caress you, Arby's, I love your curly fries but you are an rear end in a top hat. That is all.

I don't even understand why a food place would start Christmas music this early. It's not the same as a outlet store trying to get people to buy more.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sankis posted:

Was it in an electronics department and/or somewhere that sells video games?

Half of these jobs was at Staples, the other half Sam's Club. I'm loathing doing walmarts at some point this week....

Also why are almost every demo use PC such a loving piece of poo poo? Half the time I'm trying to access the start menu so I can switch to the administrator account just for nothing to happen. I can mash the start key, click on the start icon, and it isn't until I ctrl alt del and click on switch user before I can finally change to it. And if the store disabled the ctrl alt del function I have to constantly restart the PC till I get fast enough to make it change to the admin account before its goes to desktop and decides start menu should no longer work.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Lord Bude posted:

I've never understood the whole central registers thing, except maybe at massive department stores - even then it's kinda weird.

My former employer did this recently, but instead of moving the registers, they moved the entire loving office including the safe to the middle of the sales floor. I'm so glad I'm not there anymore because I can't imagine counting $10k+ of cash at the end of the night with the last minute skeevs eyeing me.

Customers don't even like sales floor registers because they don't know where to go to check out or where to line up, and hate having to walk around a half dozen shoppers to get to the door with their bags.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It seems like it'd be a pain in the rear end for LP, too. I'd think it'd be much easier to sneak out stuff without being noticed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Irish Joe posted:

they moved the entire loving office including the safe to the middle of the sales floor.

This is hosed on so very many levels.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Grocery store, why do you have a big display at the front advertising eggnog? It's not even Thanksgiving yet. :wtc:

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Grocery store, why do you have a big display at the front advertising eggnog? It's not even Thanksgiving yet. :wtc:

Because Egg Nog is amazing and you shut your mouth

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

You should be starting or have started your homemade eggnog by now if you want some for Christmas. Ignore the recipe notes, age this for 2 months ideally.
http://www.chow.com/recipes/10758-best-eggnog

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cythereal posted:

Eggnog is a wonderful drink to partake in all year round. I wish it wasn't so horrible for my diet or I would seriously drink it all loving year.

There's an almond milk eggnog at my local grocery store, and I'm dying to try it :swoon:

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Does it also have the self serve checkouts right at the exit, which sort of blends into the party section? I was at a store not long ago that has just had that refit done, I saw a lot of confused people wandering into the self serve without realising.

I understand what they tried to do, but man, I am so happy that I was handed a map so I could find my way around, I got myself lost a few times. It's just so different to the other stores.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I used to work for Dunkin Donuts. To give you a sense of this fine organization, on my first day a fellow employee told me to carefully write down the time I clocked in and out as there would occasionally be "time clock problems" and the manager would try to underpay you. I have a lot of crazy stories from this place but two come to mind right now:

I'm pretty sure the franchise manager was more or less illiterate. I would have felt bad for her except, you know, she kept trying to sneak hours off our paychecks. Everything she wrote was horribly misspelled to the point it was unrecognizable. I think she was trying to phonetically spell things out but couldn't really do it. It took forever to explain to new employees that a croissant is labeled a "crobis" and raisin muffins are "raustlin muffns" so we just started pronouncing things the way they were misspelled. "hey this guy wants his egg sandwich on a crow-biss instead and a Roustlin muffin" Customers must have thought we were insane.

I answered the phone one day and a woman yelled at me:

"I live down the street do you have any new breakfasts?"
"yes we have a egg blah blah blah"
"ANYTHING ELSE??"
"oh uh yes we have a new drink flavor.."
"HURRY UP!!!"
"uh it has this and this and.."
"THAT'S ENOUGH, GOD drat *slam*"

I didn't think of it much, just another rear end in a top hat customer right? But every time an item was added to the menu an incredibly rude person called asking about it. Listening carefully I could hear other people talking in the background like she was in a call center and I realized its actually an inspection by corporate to see if we're knowledgeable about the menu. Its pretty insulting to our intelligence thinking we wouldn't see though that and shows what these companies think of the people who work for them. I don't eat fast food anymore out of principle.

I was eventually able to get out of retail and get a union job with no customers and great benefits, don't give up hope people! Be willing to try anything that isn't retail, its always better.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I am literally trying to enlist in the military rather than continue working in retail. This is what it's come down to.

I was musing on this the other day, actually, and I realized that signing away all those personal freedoms to become a soldier might very well be the most liberating thing I'll have ever done.

:unsmith:

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I am literally trying to enlist in the military rather than continue working in retail. This is what it's come down to.

I was musing on this the other day, actually, and I realized that signing away all those personal freedoms to become a soldier might very well be the most liberating thing I'll have ever done.

Although better than retail, the military will NOT be an escape from idiocy and dumb rules. Come join us in Goons in Platoons and see for yourself.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

As someone who did this a few years ago: you poor fool.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

BULLETKISS posted:

Although better than retail, the military will NOT be an escape from idiocy and dumb rules. Come join us in Goons in Platoons and see for yourself.

Oh, I know. My family is military. Not one of them lacks stories of total retardation from servicemembers.

But the pay is better, and I'll put up with a lot for financial stability. This casual/part-time bullshit has me slipping further and further into debt and enlistment is the only way out of it I can find.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Oh, I know. My family is military. Not one of them lacks stories of total retardation from servicemembers.

But the pay is better, and I'll put up with a lot for financial stability. This casual/part-time bullshit has me slipping further and further into debt and enlistment is the only way out of it I can find.

sorry, that is a very sad situation to be in

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Between a rock and a hard place. I hope you land in a nice cushy position making lots of money for little work.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

I feel your pain. Do you have a degree? I'm not in the military but I've heard choosing your MOS carefully when you enlist makes a world of difference. You probably know more about this than I do though.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Ghostnuke posted:

If you think your schedule problems have anything to do with the returns you're taking, you're nuts.

More like "drank the corporate koolaid one too many times and thinks they as an individual matter at all to their corporate overlords."

They don't care about you, the returns are already written into their profits, they pay you as little as they possibly can, stop caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

iwik posted:

Does it also have the self serve checkouts right at the exit, which sort of blends into the party section? I was at a store not long ago that has just had that refit done, I saw a lot of confused people wandering into the self serve without realising.

I understand what they tried to do, but man, I am so happy that I was handed a map so I could find my way around, I got myself lost a few times. It's just so different to the other stores.

Yea party is right next to the front self serve.

Just now one of the casuals turned up two hours late to a register shift. Manager abused them over the phone asking why they weren't in. I don't know how you expect people to turn up if the roster was only put up 2 days ago.