Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk

Huss posted:

How about Jake? He's the only player who's had two rulings. The first time, he was blustering Ronald Reagan quotes at the top of his lungs when Jane forked him, which I think we may agree safely disqualifies him from heroism

was pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The skeleton bus driver seemed like a pretty cool guy, they should make a Paradox comic about him.

Not sure what the rest of those words I saw were all about tho.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I read the whole thing, enjoyed reading it, do not regret or feel any shame about that, and see no reason to.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FEEL SHAME drat YOU

realtalk i unironically enjoy this comic as much as i enjoy the ironic posting in this thread so v:v:v

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I thought it was interesting

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Made sense to me.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I read the whole thing and enjoyed it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I gave the god tier talk to Hemingway because it seemed the only thing one could do with it.

The outcome:

quote:

Grade 8
Good
Paragraphs: 20
Sentences: 108
Words: 1658
Characters: 7757
15 of 108 sentences are hard to read.
10 of 108 sentences are very hard to read.
24 adverbs. Aim for 7 or fewer.
11 words or phrases can be simpler.
16 uses of passive voice. Aim for 22 or fewer.

This made me realize than what's really missing from that app is something like "108 of 108 sentences are about stupid bullshit. Aim for 0 or fewer."

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
What the hell are you people still doing here after all this time if you can't handle the odd wall of text every now and then?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Compare to Troll Romance

Hemingway on Troll Romance posted:

Grade 12
OK
Paragraphs: 43
Sentences: 102
Words: 1710
Characters: 8973
22 of 102 sentences are hard to read.
17 of 102 sentences are very hard to read.
28 adverbs. Aim for 14 or fewer.
7 words or phrases can be simpler.
13 uses of passive voice. Aim for 20 or fewer.

Wait how the hell does troll Romance have 6 fewer sentences about stupid bullshit than godtier talk?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Tollymain posted:

FEEL SHAME drat YOU

realtalk i unironically enjoy this comic as much as i enjoy the ironic posting in this thread so v:v:v

Yes. Ironic.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Freak Futanari posted:

Is there a human being out there who actually managed to read more than two sentences of that FAQ without moving their mouse cursor up to click the little x in the corner of their browser

I read it!

He did a really good job of stating the specific circumstances of a story he controls and retroactively justifying it when the wrath of tumblr was found to be more than he bargained for. And yet, I'm highly skeptical of the idea that he actually thought about the system to such an extent prior to the outcry over Rose's death, or that, if asked about the definitions prior to [S] Game Over, we'd get the same answer.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I read it and am still expecting some sort of return for at least some of them.

Probably Rose after she reunites with Kanaya in a dreambubble.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dolash posted:

I know Hussie doesn't always tack into the wind of an emotional event in his comic and it's been a while since we've had some unambiguous comic relief, but I don't think he has to worry about his fanbase being unable to deal. The hair-pulling, teeth-gnashing and accusations of emotional terrorism are really all part of the experience everyone's playing along with.

If anything, his newspost and the lengthy discussion of some things that've happened recently in the comic kind of sound like it's Hussie who's on slightly uneasy ground here. Like he's putting up a lot of panels with crying teenagers and death and regret and he wants to remind everyone on his "Cool Updates" bus that he is still "with it" and "hip to the kids" or some such thing.

A long time ago Hussie did admit that putting emotional stuff in Homestuck made him uncomfortable. I mean really I don't blame him because as John's wonderful reaction to Dirk showed, it's really just awkward and doesn't gel with the primitive art at all. I wish I could find the post now.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUrqgEFDvM4

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Andrew Hussie is the author. He is not refereeing an independent game played by independent players. He is making decisions about whether characters he wrote were acting justly or heroically or what-the-hell-everily. The fundamental metaphor is dumb. He might as well claim to be playing strip poker with himself and seeing through his own bluff.

Try "At this point in the story, I wanted to kill off Jane and Jade for plot reasons. My justification for this particular mechanism is that, even though they were mind-controlled, they were really just under the control of a filter that shut off their superegos and let their ids through. This is somehow different because ..." Note the ellipsis, because I don't grasp the distinction here. If somebody fed Jane and Jade a moral roofie, the subsequent events are not under their control.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

First it was the restaurant bucket spit video. Then it was that "Homestuck The Movie" trailer. Now this.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

hilariously terrible.

hilarious might not even enter the equation, actually.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Andrew Hussie is the author. He is not refereeing an independent game played by independent players. He is making decisions about whether characters he wrote were acting justly or heroically or what-the-hell-everily. The fundamental metaphor is dumb. He might as well claim to be playing strip poker with himself and seeing through his own bluff.

Try "At this point in the story, I wanted to kill off Jane and Jade for plot reasons. My justification for this particular mechanism is that, even though they were mind-controlled, they were really just under the control of a filter that shut off their superegos and let their ids through. This is somehow different because ..." Note the ellipsis, because I don't grasp the distinction here. If somebody fed Jane and Jade a moral roofie, the subsequent events are not under their control.

Congratulations, you have solved the art of fictional storytelling. Aren't you proud of yourself.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I always wondered about the long-term effect on Basco after he read that part. You know the one.

I guess I got my answer.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 9, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

CJacobs posted:

A long time ago Hussie did admit that putting emotional stuff in Homestuck made him uncomfortable. I mean really I don't blame him because as John's wonderful reaction to Dirk showed, it's really just awkward and doesn't gel with the primitive art at all. I wish I could find the post now.

But neither does telling a bizarre epic that spans time, space, and beyond or putting those kids in struggles for the lives in the first place.

I hope this he can let something like this stick, like with trollpocalypse.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I... I don't want to watch it. What is it.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Some trippy music video thing with Dante Basco.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TriffTshngo posted:

Congratulations, you have solved the art of fictional storytelling. Aren't you proud of yourself.

I hate it when authors talk about their muses, talk about their worldbuilding as if it were description rather than the result of choices, and in general talk as if they are victims of inevitability rather than independent agents making decisions about a work of art. Furthermore, I think all of the above lead to worse writing. I am delighted to talk about something from either a Doylist or a Watsonian point of view, but when an author behaves as if those two were the same thing I get creeped out.

edit: save the subjunctive

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I hate it when authors talk about their muses, talk about their worldbuilding as if it were description rather than the result of choices, and in general talk as if they are victims of inevitability rather than independent agents making decisions about a work of art. Furthermore, I think all of the above lead to worse writing. I am delighted to talk about something from either a Doylist or a Watsonian point of view, but when an author behaves as if those two were the same thing I get creeped out.

Well I like it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hm, yes, I too hate that authors aren't beings of pure beep boop logic. I mean, why even have fiction at all that isn't "There is a problem. Now it is solved because I, the author, say so, The End."

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I hope Hussie stops the melodrama and long blog posts, and instead soon tells us what Vriska is up to.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Freak Futanari posted:

I hope Hussie stops the melodrama and long blog posts, and instead soon tells us what Vriska is up to.

She's dead.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

She's dead.

That has never stopped anyone in this comic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How is this any different than saying (in a fantasy novel, let's say).

"The laws about mindreading are Y, because otherwise it would be really easy to blackmail judges?"

Rules in your setting should make sense as in-setting constructs, rather than authorial handwaves.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

She's getting her hair braided by Meenah.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tunicate posted:

How is this any different than saying (in a fantasy novel, let's say).

"The laws about mindreading are Y, because otherwise it would be really easy to blackmail judges?"

Rules in your setting should make sense as in-setting constructs, rather than authorial handwaves.

It's a bit of both, really. An author might be trying to put mindreading into their story and deliberately set it up to avoid problematic narrative outcomes, but so long as their reasons for making it that way make sense to us in-story and characters abide by them in a sensible way we don't usually mind.

Everything in a story is how it is because the author wills it and because it'll let them tell the story they want, but they should also be internally consistent so the audience can follow along. The author is part referee, part absolute judge.

I found Arsenic Lupin's post a little odd, since at first he makes the case for writers doing things by fiat and Hussie shouldn't present himself as a referee, but then goes on to admit that some of the god-tier deaths didn't make sense anyway - meaning that an authorial "referee" might be useful to help explain why they turned out that way while staying consistent with the narrative's rules and outcomes.

I'd say it could be as simple as being "corrupt" is not a matter of willingly becoming evil but simply becoming a villain at all, even if it's by mind-control.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 9, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She's getting her hair braided by Meenah.

Coming up next: Vriska min-maxes a tea party

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah but remember Homestuck started as being entirely reader-driven, less so than Jailbreak and Problem Sleuth where Hussie would often just pick from the first few responses, so in the beginning until he assumed direct control, he wasn't in charge of the world building. At least not fully. Sure he gets to pick and choose FROM the responses but they still might not always lead in the direction he wants the story to go which is why I assume he took total control of Homestuck. With something with so many drat possibilities it's hard to make a coherent story out of it and so he had to make the whole story world up out of what had already come across in the comic at that point. Maybe that's not your point, but I just feel like it was worth pointing out.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 9, 2014

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The only part of Homestuck that readers were directly responsible for was the names of the beta kids and all of the trolls.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

The only part of Homestuck that readers were directly responsible for was the names of the beta kids and all of the trolls.

I'll have you know that 8 whole words in Homestuck were written directly by me and I will not have this accomplishment sullied.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

TriffTshngo posted:

Excuse you, the Mayor attaching the label to his sash was a reader command.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I'm gathering from that FAQ that my assessment of Heroic and Just was actually pretty close to what is the case.

Freak Futanari posted:

Page 8888 is coming up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

curiousTerminal posted:

Excuse you, the Mayor attaching the label to his sash was a reader command.

Pretty much the entirety of WV's character was user commands. I say a round of applause to whoever submitted 'be the mayor of Can Town'. because that one idea seemed to change so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

frozentreasure posted:

Page 8888 is coming up.

oh poo poo