Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Voyager I posted:

The Battle Cobra, for instance, could run to 3225 for a +2 movement modifier and leave the Dragon hitting on 11, or he could walk to 3025 to stay in close range for his cMPL in exchange for giving the Dragon a 10.

Yeah I'll head for 3225 and hit him with the large lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kial posted:

Battletech math is fun. From 1230, you're looking at 3 base + 1 movement + 2 range. You'll have a + 1 move mod. From 1130 you'll have 3 base + 2 movement. A + 2 move mod. Note that with the second option you're out of LOS of the Hawk unless you both decide to shoot each other or the building blows up.

Not sure what move the charger is planning. Can he grab the Hawk when he's on a different level? Or trying the DFA attacks?

so 1230 is +7 and 1130 is a different +7, with the main difference being no LOS on the Phoenix Hawk from 1130? Well that makes this simple enough.

HEY CLOUD POTATO: ARE YOU MOVING TO 1130 y/n

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 6, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Psion posted:

HEY CLOUD POTATO: ARE YOU MOVING TO 1130 y/n

That's my current plan, yeah. Although if you want 1130 I could jump somewhere else, maybe 0630 or 0828.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

well, let's find out!

PTN: if Cloud Potato moves to 1130 and I move to 1230, will we run into each other / can I still shoot the Gladiator / is this horrible and wrong and will trip us up somehow

also if you could fix the power outage that just took out my entire network that'd be swell. UPS? what are those? :mad:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 6, 2014

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Orders in. Moving to 3328 and shooting everything at the Bobcat, the rest of you guys should be able to focus on the Dragon now.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Psion posted:

well, let's find out!

PTN: if Cloud Potato moves to 1130 and I move to 1230, will we run into each other / can I still shoot the Gladiator / is this horrible and wrong and will trip us up somehow

also if you could fix the power outage that just took out my entire network that'd be swell. UPS? what are those? :mad:

You'll have LOS from 1230, and there's no risk of running into eachother unless you try to stop in the same hex, in which case one of you would just stop short.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
Oops, does moving down from height 1 terrain cost a Movement Point?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Trundel posted:

Oops, does moving down from height 1 terrain cost a Movement Point?

Yup.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
Good thing I forgot to hit the send button on that PM.

I can still make it behind the Bobcat, but won't get a punch in this round as I have to torso twist at the end.

edit: I've been rolling all of my bad dice in a D&D game tonight, PTN, so along with the previous head-bonking I hope your dice take that into account when you roll them this turn.

Trundel fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 7, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Orders in. Going to 1230, lighting that Gladiator up. good luck with your suplex, apostatecourier. I think only fool of sound is firing on the Phawk to back you up.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Psion posted:

Orders in. Going to 1230, lighting that Gladiator up. good luck with your suplex, apostatecourier. I think only fool of sound is firing on the Phawk to back you up.

That's cool. I just hope the dice smile on me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Trundel posted:

Good thing I forgot to hit the send button on that PM.

I can still make it behind the Bobcat, but won't get a punch in this round as I have to torso twist at the end.

edit: I've been rolling all of my bad dice in a D&D game tonight, PTN, so along with the previous head-bonking I hope your dice take that into account when you roll them this turn.

You can still punch on a torso twist, you just can't kick anyone not in the front 3 hexes.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I might not end up going in this turn. Chewing up the Dragon's rear armor with my machineguns isn't that worthwhile if there's nobody to open a hole for me and we're otherwise shooting him in the front, I'd probably end up eating a solid chunk of damage from the Bobcat for doing it, and my armament is so short ranged that there's not much I can do to the Dragon from anywhere else while staying safe from the big gun. I'm considering setting up to block his paths of likely retreat instead.

I could jump to 3131 to body block his path south (he will get bogged down in the ditch if he tries to go the other way), though that still leaves me fairly exposed to the Bobcat and they could try building shenanigans to clear a line of sight to me as the Bobcat's dying act. Alternatively, I could jump to 2326 along another likely possible escape route; while I'm there, I could even knock down some of the buildings along the path so he wouldn't be able to cover his rear arc.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just wanted to say that this mission has been awesome and I really enjoy all of the pilots discussing their orders/harebrained plans in the thread. Keep it up, please!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

For sure, it's interesting to see compared to when we would just put it in the google doc.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm just praying wrestlemania works. If it does, I want to see that pilot sent off to take a shot at Steiner Rules clanner-slamming.

Steiner rules are still probably my favorite thing to ever come out of this thread.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Oh God, Steiner Rules with wrestling vs the Clans :swoon:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

anakha posted:

Oh God, Steiner Rules with wrestling vs the Clans :swoon:

If my successor does not suplex a Kodiak into a burning roller coaster I will be sorely disappointed.

RING OUT!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I love this group of pilots. Active and asking for advice!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This is probably the only time I'll allow the wrestling gimmick, so don't go too crazy.

Anyone doing a running tally of how many buildings have been destroyed? I probably should've been keeping track of that for the thread's amusement.

Edit: Looks like 39.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!

Affi posted:

I love this group of pilots. Active and asking for advice!

It might just be me being a pilot this round, but I've really enjoyed the tactics conversations and co-ordination that we've got going here.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Catapult orders in! Decided to run instead of jump, shave 1 off my to-hit.

quote:

-Run to 1130, facing 1030 (right, forward, forward, left, left, left)
-Fire absolutely everything at the Gladiator in 0830
-Laugh maniacally

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cloud Potato posted:

Catapult orders in! Decided to run instead of jump, shave 1 off my to-hit.

:hfive:

PTN please amend my orders to also include laughing, thanks

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!

Voyager I posted:

I might not end up going in this turn. Chewing up the Dragon's rear armor with my machineguns isn't that worthwhile if there's nobody to open a hole for me and we're otherwise shooting him in the front, I'd probably end up eating a solid chunk of damage from the Bobcat for doing it, and my armament is so short ranged that there's not much I can do to the Dragon from anywhere else while staying safe from the big gun. I'm considering setting up to block his paths of likely retreat instead.

I could jump to 3131 to body block his path south (he will get bogged down in the ditch if he tries to go the other way), though that still leaves me fairly exposed to the Bobcat and they could try building shenanigans to clear a line of sight to me as the Bobcat's dying act. Alternatively, I could jump to 2326 along another likely possible escape route; while I'm there, I could even knock down some of the buildings along the path so he wouldn't be able to cover his rear arc.

Personally, I don't like the look of all those mechanized infantry moving in. If you're at all in range by the end of your move maybe dissuade them from advancing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is probably the only time I'll allow the wrestling gimmick, so don't go too crazy.

:smith:

Ah well. By the time I'm a pilot I'm sure there will be other awesome gimmicks.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Trundel posted:

Personally, I don't like the look of all those mechanized infantry moving in. If you're at all in range by the end of your move maybe dissuade them from advancing.

The Infantry smell blood in the water and are coming to feed on the dead. Fortunately, the blood's not ours in this case. If someone's a damaged straggler or a walking wreck I doubt they'd think twice about finishing the job, but what we've been told about them does not suggest that they'd pick a fight with 4 largely intact battlemechs. Obviously I want to kill lots and lots of infantry for its own sake, but winning the mission proper is my first priority and I don't think we're in any immediate danger from the locals.

That said, I can't really do much in the mech fight right now so if I can polish off a side objective without putting myself in a bad position for next turn that might be worth considering. Unfortunately, none of the infantry are coming from a direction I want to be moving in.

EDIT: If I really wanted to mess with the Dragon I could jump to 3330 and open up his LT but there shouldn't be anything to crit in there.

I'm probably going to jump to 2326 and knock down some of the buildings along the road so the Dragon can't hide his rear torso by a simple single facing change at the end of his movement. It will deny his path to regroup with the Fusileers, put me in a position to come in and play crit janitor in the fight on the left, and also leaves me out of range of the AC/20 (4 base + 4 range + 2 his movement + 3 my movement = automatic miss). If he tries to run away south, I say we just let him go instead of getting ourselves dragged out of the fight.

Loxbourne posted:

Are the player's special objectives public? I've been looking for them in the thread but can't find them anywhere.

They are in the bottom of each mech's statblock.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 9, 2014

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Are the player's special objectives public? I've been looking for them in the thread but can't find them anywhere.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Loxbourne posted:

They're listed at the bottom of each mech's status reports.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Loxbourne posted:

They're on the mech card pictures that PTN posts with every update.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
Kinda hoping that I can get my special objective, destroy an enemy 20 tons or more heavier (so 60 or more), by taking out the Dragon. The other heavies on the map make me pretty wary but without backup the Dragon is toast.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Trundel posted:

Kinda hoping that I can get my special objective, destroy an enemy 20 tons or more heavier (so 60 or more), by taking out the Dragon. The other heavies on the map make me pretty wary but without backup the Dragon is toast.

Actually looking again running south is a pretty poo poo option for the Dragon. He's either got to run through ditches or buildings, both of which are substantial movement taxes, and to top it all off he has to make sure his movement always ends with his back against a building or else you're just going to casually jump seven and ream him every turn, especially now that he'll be by himself.

From even further examination, it also looks like he might want to run through the building ahead of him to 2432 or thereabouts, but you're just so much loving faster than him that nothing he does can keep you off his rear end. I might just peace out to the main battle and let you have fun beating your special objective out of his hindquarters since you won't need me and there's not much I can do to help anyways (I can't run through buildings with piloting 6).

EDIT: Orders in, running to 2323 and attempting to light fires in 1921 and 2020 to cover my likely advance next turn and maybe clog up the Griffin's firing lanes for the future.

Good luck with the Dragon, but I don't think I'm bringing much to that table anymore.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 9, 2014

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
If I jump to 3529, will I have LoS on the Dragon? And will the Bobcat have LoS on me?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I think yes to both, though the Bobcat would only be able to attack with the large laser, and I think you'd have partial cover.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Hobo posted:

If I jump to 3529, will I have LoS on the Dragon? And will the Bobcat have LoS on me?

3529? Buildings are in the way aren't they?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hobo posted:

No.

No.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Ok, thanks, sending orders now. (Jumping there anyway, hanging back for now)

Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 9, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
One of the players asked for an extension, so the update will be tomorrow if possible but probably Wednesday to avoid throwing off my update schedule.

Thanks for giving me the heads-up, by the way! I'm always happy to accommodate!

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
Orders in! If none of the lower west side mechs are alive by the time I fire, I'm shooting that drat helicopter down! :pirate:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It might just crash on its own. By way of a surprise Rifleman owned by a rival news corp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zest posted:

Orders in! If none of the lower west side mechs are alive by the time I fire, I'm shooting that drat helicopter down! :pirate:

Very late, and without warning. If Grunty hadn't requested a hold you'd've been stationary this turn.

Try to be careful of that, if you can. I know it's not always easy, but sending me a quick heads-up can help prevent that from happening.

• Locked thread