Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Does it enter you into a drawing for a chance to win or do you just get 420 plat if you know the puzzle? I hope this is a stupid question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You just need a Gameforge forums account and if you solve it you will be sent a PM with a code to redeem in-game

I think if people try to abuse it by making a ton of accounts to get around the 1-guess-per-hour thing then they are likely to take it down so maybe don't do that

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Between giving away Hex currency in a abusable contest and the gift card thing, I think I should value my platinum way less than I currently do.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Looks like they've implemented a global 24 hour limit on how many prizes they are giving out so it's not like an infinite free money faucet, but yea if CZE can cut Gameforge out of payment processing later on down the line that would be a very good business decision imo - not sure how likely it is though as Hex runs on their servers...

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Gave this a shot. First impressions aren't that brilliant; the UI seems like a complete mess, for instance. Why is the game constantly begging me to spam spacebar / click the skip button even when I don't have any interrupts in my hand? Seems like I have to spam the button a million times in my own turn alone, and more during the opponents. Even the earliest PC versions of MTG got this right so it's just baffling and keeps interrupting the flow of the game. Cards that summon other cards also don't seem to show you the summoned cards stats. "Summons two battle hoppers". Great. What are these? What's their attack / defense? (EDIT: Apparently you can get the stats on the summoned card by right-clicking the text description. Still, why can't they just show the 0/1 right there without any extra hassle?)

The game also refuses to let me log in at times. Last time I had to try ~5 times before I got in - the other tries just put me back into the login screen with no error message or anything, and yes, the password was correct. Music or sound effects don't play at all until I visit the audio screen in option every time I start the game for some reason. Hope they fix this stuff before the proper release.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 9, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Dropbear posted:

Gave this a shot. First impressions aren't that brilliant; the UI seems like a complete mess, for instance. Why is the game constantly begging me to spam spacebar / click the skip button even when I don't have any interrupts in my hand? Seems like I have to spam the button a million times in my own turn alone, and more during the opponents. Even the earliest PC versions of MTG got this right so it's just baffling and keeps interrupting the flow of the game. Cards that summon other cards also don't seem to show you the summoned cards stats. "Summons two battle hoppers". Great. What are these? What's their attack / defense? (EDIT: Apparently you can get the stats on the summoned card by right-clicking the text description. Still, why can't they just show the 0/1 right there without any extra hassle?)

The game also refuses to let me log in at times. Last time I had to try ~5 times before I got in - the other tries just put me back into the login screen with no error message or anything, and yes, the password was correct. Music or sound effects don't play at all until I visit the audio screen in option every time I start the game for some reason. Hope they fix this stuff before the proper release.

They can't make the game skip interrupt phases just because you don't have an option to do - that would let your opponent know for a fact that you don't have an option to do. If I don't know for a fact that you don't have a quick action, I might be hesitant to attack, and that can radically alter the outcome of a game.

There can be cards that link to multiple different cards, like the Plant Garden that has a random chance to turn into one of three creatures, so if they tried to condense card linking down into one mouse-over then that would make cards like Plant Garden a complete mess.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 9, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

MrBims posted:

They can't make the game skip interrupt phases just because you don't have an option to do - that would let your opponent know for a fact that you don't have an option to do. If I don't know for a fact that you don't have a quick action, I might be hesitant to attack, and that can radically alter the outcome of a game.

There can be cards that link to multiple different cards, like the Plant Garden that has a random chance to turn into one of three creatures, so if they tried to condense card linking down into one mouse-over then that would make cards like Plant Garden a complete mess.

Good points, didn't think of those. Still, they should really mention the "right click the description to see the summoned card" somewhere, completely missed that (might have just glazed over that, though). What clicks are required where seems a bit odd as well - sometimes you get rid of a closeup card by right clicking, sometimes that doesn't work and you need to click the OK button under the card, and sometimes you need to LEFT click instead. That's a nitpick that's easy to fix before release, though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You don't have to right click. A left click will do.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

You can adjust where the game gives you priority by clicking the little gear on the left by the way. The general places you'll want priority on your opponent's turn are during combat and in the end phase, but the Prep step is usually pretty corner case. I'm pretty sure you can also force the game to give you priority at the next opportunity by holding Ctrl, but not positive.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Whew, I just made top eight in the hexprimal budget cup, and with a deck that also happens to follow the goon tournament restrictons, starter/trial cards only. gently caress your legendaries. I think I'll post videos of everything after both tournies are done. I need to do my writeup on my game with Padomyme later after some non-cardgame work.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 9, 2014

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.
Is mono-green lifegain the new hotness in draft? I played last night and "forced" Dwarf/Robot after p1p1 Master Theorycrafter, and it turns out I wasn't competing with anyone as Plans and good Dwarves were tabling (as were a number of other surprising cards). Went 3-0 without all that much trouble, against two mono-green decks in a row before running up against S/R evasive midrange.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
As a rule of thumb, hex players are bad. Although mono-green can be an incredibly powerful deck if built correctly.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Got in touch with planedriver once for my match, wasn't able to catch him on saturday or today. :sigh:

planedriver
Jun 2, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

Got in touch with planedriver once for my match, wasn't able to catch him on saturday or today. :sigh:

Sorry about that dude! Had a really busy weekend and didn't get a chance to turn on my pc at all.

Hopefully we can get a match in next weekend :unsmith:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I'm pretty sure you can also force the game to give you priority at the next opportunity by holding Ctrl, but not positive.

Wow, I'm going to have to try this. If I knew there was a way to force a stop I wouldn't actually even bother setting any other priority stops for my opponent's turn. I've gotten used to just spamming spacebar most of the time to try and save time when I don't need them, but it would be far better to just literally only use up time when I need it by not having the stops there at all.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

Padomyme posted:

MrBims vs Padomyme (Xobraix)

Him playing Shin'Hare and me with Orcs.

Game 1: He mulliganed twice and me once. Managed to pull a good selection of troops and removals after one mulligan. Got rid of a few of his troops such as Buck Ear Commander to keep his attack power in check. Managed to get down 2 Throat cutters with a good selection of orcs. After getting him down to low life I only needed to get 2 damage through as I was sitting on a Burn to the Ground and also had a crush in hand. He attacked and didn't take into account Poca's charge power so I alpha striked in. It didn't matter anyways as he messed up on the block and died.

Game 2: After 2 Mulligans on my part had a playable hand. He managed to get enough troops on the ground to block while getting up his big troops, a boulder brute and shin ear commander. I tried to hold out to the point I could maybe burn him down but his troops and big guys together managed to overwhelm me since I would lose my small selection of troops on blocks.

Game 3: Same story as game 2, I just couldn't get enough troops on the board to deal with his small horde with a Bucktooth Commander on the board, though I did manage to burn the first one he had. After not pulling any more removal he won with an Alpha strike while I only had 3 blockers on the board and he had 6 troops to attack with so no matter what 3 damage would get through.

Winner: MrBims

Last Place:Me

Thanks for the report! I'll write it in.

...what is an alpha strike?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Afgad posted:

Thanks for the report! I'll write it in.

...what is an alpha strike?

Attacking with everything with the intent/potential to win the game immediately. It's a Magic term.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Some Numbers posted:

Attacking with everything with the intent/potential to win the game immediately. It's a Magic term.

Correct, though I'd hardly consider it a Magic term.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mikujin posted:

Correct, though I'd hardly consider it a Magic term.

I'll defer to you; I first encountered it in Magic.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It isn't a Magic term at all. It's been used in wargaming and simulations for ages, and is also the term used when an aircraft carrier launches its entire flight deck at once against a single target.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

That feel when you play against the deck you created in the finals of a tournament, and utterly trounce it because they're playing it wrong :smuggo:. It was my original Hextechs open winning list without Judgement, and holy crap is it not equipped to deal with Chimes burn.

MrBims posted:

Whew, I just made top eight in the hexprimal budget cup, and with a deck that also happens to follow the goon tournament restrictons, starter/trial cards only. gently caress your legendaries. I think I'll post videos of everything after both tournies are done. I need to do my writeup on my game with Padomyme later after some non-cardgame work.

Grats dude! You should take this as an sign to create a Shin'hare deck for real when Set 2 comes out.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Just started this. Went with Orcs as suggested in the OP, beat the tutorial games and I now have 5000 gold :)

Where do I go from here? Buy stuff off the auction house? I have no idea what cards are good.

IGN is "bulbaros" if the OP could add me to the list of goons.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

El_Molestadore posted:

Just started this. Went with Orcs as suggested in the OP, beat the tutorial games and I now have 5000 gold :)

Where do I go from here? Buy stuff off the auction house? I have no idea what cards are good.

IGN is "bulbaros" if the OP could add me to the list of goons.

Sent you some free commons, I always forget what's in the starter decks so if you have more than 4x of something you might be able to sell the extra's for gold.

At this point you can play people in proving grounds, if you do random matches you get 100g per win. If you feel like putting some real money in, you might want to try a swiss draft at some point. Do some research first, maybe watch a stream of something doing a draft.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

katkillad2 posted:

Sent you some free commons, I always forget what's in the starter decks so if you have more than 4x of something you might be able to sell the extra's for gold.

At this point you can play people in proving grounds, if you do random matches you get 100g per win. If you feel like putting some real money in, you might want to try a swiss draft at some point. Do some research first, maybe watch a stream of something doing a draft.

Thanks for the cards :)

What's the best place to look up cards and what they do?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

El_Molestadore posted:

Thanks for the cards :)

What's the best place to look up cards and what they do?

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com is what I use, you have to make sure you set the filters right like "PVP Only" and "Shards of Fate" for the set.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Practicing for the next Hextechs Open with Chimes Burn, the previously discussed cool near-troopless deck.

http://www.twitch.tv/lightreaper

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

katkillad2 posted:

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com is what I use, you have to make sure you set the filters right like "PVP Only" and "Shards of Fate" for the set.

Cheers!

I just went into a game with someone and completely ran him over with bloodthirsty orcs :black101: What's a good champion for a newbie orc deck? I had Tetzot but the game was over before I could use him.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Poca

Use the elemental on the turn you play Gorefeast for another 4+5 damage.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Tamba posted:

Poca

Use the elemental on the turn you play Gorefeast for another 4+5 damage.

Sounds good.

I checked out the prices for platinum in case I want to drop some money on this. 800 platinum is 49 Norwegian kroner while 1600 platinum is 99. Same with the bigger packages, the less you buy the cheaper it is :v:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If you try to make a ton of small purchases they flag your account and make you verify some stuff, it's some kind of anti-money laundering thing

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

El_Molestadore posted:

I checked out the prices for platinum in case I want to drop some money on this. 800 platinum is 49 Norwegian kroner while 1600 platinum is 99. Same with the bigger packages, the less you buy the cheaper it is :v:

Yeah, it's like that for US dollars too (though very marginally, the difference is 1 cent per increment). Pretty strange price scheme, but on the other hand there are ways to get discounts. For example, you can actually get gift cards that work through GameForge and can get those gift cards at less than face value. I don't remember the details because I havn't bought plat in forever, but I'm sure someone else around here can point you in the right direction.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
What are our thought on whether or not the Living Totem AA is going to hold a $45+ price tag for an extended period of time?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Really looking forward to the PvE, but in the meantime at least it looks to be pretty cheap to do the tournaments. How long do those queues fill up? I'm fine with jumping in, but if it's going to take a couple of hours for it to take off I don't really have the time to devote to that.

Tinkering with the AI in the proving grounds, I see now how the Orc deck is a better starter. I just liked the look of the human one. Oh, and it's "Polkageist" if anyone wants to drop me a line.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

El Spamo posted:

Really looking forward to the PvE, but in the meantime at least it looks to be pretty cheap to do the tournaments. How long do those queues fill up? I'm fine with jumping in, but if it's going to take a couple of hours for it to take off I don't really have the time to devote to that.

Tinkering with the AI in the proving grounds, I see now how the Orc deck is a better starter. I just liked the look of the human one. Oh, and it's "Polkageist" if anyone wants to drop me a line.

I don't keep track of things precisely, but it probably takes up to 10 minutes to fire off a 5322 draft. And I'd guess about forever for a constructed anything.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
I don't know why I bothered doing this.

Uzume + 7x Ritualist of the Spring Litter is pretty funny though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If any newbies need commons/uncommons let me know, I have many extra of most of them. "Surprise" in-game.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Istvun posted:

I don't keep track of things precisely, but it probably takes up to 10 minutes to fire off a 5322 draft. And I'd guess about forever for a constructed anything.

Yeah, this sounds about right, I never have a problem getting my weekly draft in. Unfortunately, I have two daily constructed and seven normal constructed tickets I was comped for various things and I can never seem to use them. :(

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Well that was terrible.

I didn't save my draft deck while I was building it (had no idea I had to) so I had to play with my full stack of cards I drafted. With no way to fix things again, the whole thing was utterly pointless. I bailed out of the draft and I'm out the $7 or whatever for the cards. I sent in a support ticket, that's a really bad design and with no tutorial it's going to burn MANY new players. Even just a pop-up that says "You didn't save your deck, using your current deck" and running a validity check would be better than this. Only if the chosen deck is invalid could I see it defaulting in that way. Plus, no way to edit your deck during downtime in between matches? Terrible!!

Blergh. I'm not spending any more money on this. I'm waiting for PvE. :(

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Here is Stovetop posted:

What are our thought on whether or not the Living Totem AA is going to hold a $45+ price tag for an extended period of time?

I bought 4 for 5k each and sold 2 for 6.3k each, with the current prices it looks like it dropped in value a bit. It's a tricky question though that I think depends on the future popularity of the game. Too lazy to do the math, but I think there are less than 900 sets of the collector AA's. That's not a lot if Hex takes off, it's not a lot even at the current user base, and it's an amazing card. It's currently the best AA in my opinion as far as value is concerned.

I plan on keeping a set regardless if the game goes bust or not, I think it's worth the gamble.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I think it looks really cool and it's obviously one of the best rares in Set 1, but I also think most cards are over-valued right now (I'm sure this game is going to be great in the long run but people are trying to get MtG prices for poo poo without MtG levels of players)

I definitely think that it is one of the cards that is going to keep its relative level of value no matter what happens going forward with Set 2 / Crafting / etc, it's only a gamble if you pay too much for them

• Locked thread