Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think people are also forgetting that the zombies aren't actually the story. They are just the backdrop. The story is in the living people and their interactions and how their characters change amidst the backdrop.

But yeah goons and stabby splatty blood and guts and stuff I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If that is truly the case, then will we ever get a episode without a single zombie appearing?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

enraged_camel posted:

The show Archer is proof that drastic changes to a show's formula can be successful.

Season 5 is widely considered to be the weakest season of Archer, though. And the formula wasn't changed at all, just the setting. In fact, season 5 is the most formulaic of all because with the exception of one character it still uses the same jokes from seasons 3 and 4.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

If that is truly the case, then will we ever get a episode without a single zombie appearing?

That's not what I said. I said it's the back drop. It's the context for the main story which is the people. There have been countless episodes where no one gave a poo poo about the zombs.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lycus posted:

Slowly walk to DC. Great idea. Great show.

Oh wait, and then the zombies evolve to not be fooled by zombie guts anymore, oh poo poo!

I was speaking figuratively. The point is that they have what equates to a cheat code in their hands and they rarely remember to use it. This makes about as much sense as Beth delivering five head-shots in total darkness.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well I wasn't speaking figuratively. I feel like you're not taking my ideas about zombie evolution seriously, flying zombies and whatnot. And I don't understand why. You yourself said that the possibilities are endless.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

I was speaking figuratively. The point is that they have what equates to a cheat code in their hands and they rarely remember to use it. This makes about as much sense as Beth delivering five head-shots in total darkness.

Eh. Most runs go unhitched. It's like moving your car out of the garage and onto the street without wearing your seatbelt. 99.999% of the time its nbd.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GrAviTy84 posted:

That's not what I said. I said it's the back drop. It's the context for the main story which is the people. There have been countless episodes where no one gave a poo poo about the zombs.

Also I'm pretty sure there was at least one episode with absolutely no zombies, though gently caress if I'm rewatching the series just so I can remember which one. But I recall the thread made a big deal about it. I want to say it was in season 2, but it may have been 3.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

enraged_camel posted:

The show is supposed to be about humans vs. zombies but at the end of the day it ends up being about humans vs. humans,

So close, yet so far.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Parity warning posted:

So close, yet so far.

Please don't raise your voice, the walkers may hear you. :cry:

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

enraged_camel posted:

The show is supposed to be about humans vs. zombies but at the end of the day it ends up being about humans vs. humans,

This is a good parody post.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

This is a good parody post.

You may not feel that the show is supposed to be about humans vs. zombies, and that's OK. However, the show is called "The Walking Dead" and not "Survivors." Just like the show Dexter was about a protagonist named Dexter, The Walking Dead should be about zombies primarily (as the main protagonist).

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

enraged_camel posted:

You may not feel that the show is supposed to be about humans vs. zombies, and that's OK. However, the show is called "The Walking Dead" and not "Survivors." Just like the show Dexter was about a protagonist named Dexter, The Walking Dead should be about zombies primarily (as the main protagonist).

The walking dead... Are teh survivors...we are all... Teh dead

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

enraged_camel posted:

ProTahGhonist.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Somebody should let that Kirkman guy know.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

Somebody should let that Kirkman guy know.

Yep, I know that. But the fact that the comics have lovely writing doesn't mean the show should follow their logic. The show's plot is already very different anyway.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

Also I'm pretty sure there was at least one episode with absolutely no zombies, though gently caress if I'm rewatching the series just so I can remember which one. But I recall the thread made a big deal about it. I want to say it was in season 2, but it may have been 3.

I am not a 100% sure either. I do remember season 2 had many episodes with practically no zombies in them. However, there was always a very obvious "HERES YOUR ZOMBIE!!!11!!1" scene each episode. The Well walker was the most infamous. To my knowledge every episode has a zombie in it even if it is a fairly minor scene. That's fine, but I also think if the producers/writers were serious about the mantra of "it's about the characters" then they would deliberately have episodes with no zombies.

I think that AMC understands that the 15 million people that tune in each week do it to see zombies, and preferably also a good drama at the same time.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

enraged_camel posted:

You know, people complain about them not using the camouflage more, but, don't you run a serious risk of getting infected with some kind of disease every time you use zombie guts? I mean, you basically have to cut open a new zombie every time you want to camouflage (since, as we saw in Season 1, the camouflage can potentially wear off), and each time you do, you could very well get a zombie infected with some kind of disease. And after what happened in Season 4...well, I know I sure wouldn't want to risk it!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
More importantly, it's icky.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

enraged_camel posted:

The show is supposed to be about humans vs. zombies but at the end of the day it ends up being about humans vs. humans, with zombies taking the backseat as more of an environmental nuisance that occasionally needs to be stabbed in the head.
It's been this way since season 1, if that's not what you're looking for watch something else.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

No, I'd say it's pretty much a show about zombies, the humans on the show aren't super well characterized and deep or anything. For a show that's actually about people set against a backdrop of monsters watch Hannibal.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Zombies were definitely the primary threat in season 1. Also, the pacing was better by an order of magnitude.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Fionordequester posted:

You know, people complain about them not using the camouflage more, but, don't you run a serious risk of getting infected with some kind of disease every time you use zombie guts? I mean, you basically have to cut open a new zombie every time you want to camouflage (since, as we saw in Season 1, the camouflage can potentially wear off), and each time you do, you could very well get a zombie infected with some kind of disease. And after what happened in Season 4...well, I know I sure wouldn't want to risk it!

Yeah, there's a reason you wear gloves and a mask if you have to deal with a dead animal. You know how the smell of decay makes you gag? That's your brain telling you, "hey retard, not only is that the smell of a chemical that can itself be toxic to you, but whatever's emitting it is surely riddled with diseases and parasites, so let's pop it in reverse."

Honestly the dumb thing is that nobody who's done the one weird super effective cheat code trick of rubbing entrails on their face hasn't loving died or started an outbreak of cholera or something.

Edit: don't think I give a poo poo about realism or whatever in my dumb zombie show, it's just definitely not unreasonable of the characters to not walk around covered in gore 24/7

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 9, 2014

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Don't they wrap themselves up the first time they do it?

Carol is beyond human anyways.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

Yep, I know that. But the fact that the comics have lovely writing doesn't mean the show should follow their logic. The show's plot is already very different anyway.

Actually it's not. I've read every issue of the comic. Apart from the obvious character changes and detours in the story, its essentially the same so far.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

You're reading too much into it. It's a fantasy show. They can easily write the plot such that the evolved virus takes affect only on new hosts. Someone gets bitten, and instead of going through the slowly-die-and-then-rise-up-after sequence, they "turn" almost right away with all of their motor functions fully intact. Boom! And things are suddenly interesting and exciting again. The survivors have to change pretty much their entire modus operandi, from the way they right zombies (no more easy head-shots) to the way they treat newly bitten victims (who now have to be executed on the spot). They have to be on the edge again when they travel because at any point an evolved zombie can come charging at them from around the corner...

I will never understand the allure of 'fast zombies' in cinema. You more or less completely nullify the point behind mindless ambulatory corpses when you make them move with life-like speed and fluidity. You also kill any emotional response beyond the shallow adrenaline rush by having them, and just..well its a poo poo idea and you're a child upset because there are not enough ninjas and explosions in this show.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LeJackal posted:

I will never understand the allure of 'fast zombies' in cinema. You more or less completely nullify the point behind mindless ambulatory corpses when you make them move with life-like speed and fluidity. You also kill any emotional response beyond the shallow adrenaline rush by having them, and just..well its a poo poo idea and you're a child upset because there are not enough ninjas and explosions in this show.

The point is that fast zombies are just an example. Do you not agree that mindless ambulatory responses become boring after a while? They are the ones that give a shallow adrenaline rush, because audiences have memorized the formula by now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If only there were some kind of creature which could, for example, run and use doors and climb walls and had the capacity for logical/critical thought and could swing a weapon at you...

I mean, surely that isn't too fantastical, right? If only...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

precision posted:

If only there were some kind of creature which could, for example, run and use doors and climb walls and had the capacity for logical/critical thought and could swing a weapon at you...

This is why zombie shows about zombies are boring imo. The zombies are just a device to bring about WROL. It's like fallout and nuclear war.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

LeJackal posted:

I will never understand the allure of 'fast zombies' in cinema.

Because it's something that would actually be scary and hard to control if it were real. Society would probably adopt to Romero-style zombies in less than a month.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

precision posted:

Right? I mean, if our goal is to watch a bunch of humans slaughter each other, why are we watching The Walking Dead? We should just...

Oh wait.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

well if we're gonna go down the zombie plausibility path they would solve themselves in a month. Dehydration, flies/decomposition, etc.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You know we're ready for a new episode when people starting talking about a real zombie apocalypse.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think people are also forgetting that the zombies aren't actually the story. They are just the backdrop. The story is in the living people and their interactions and how their characters change amidst the backdrop.

Your exactly right and the previous episode (where garreth is killed) is a perfect example of this.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think both Jericho and Survivors (bbc series) present possible interesting plots to pursue that don't rely on ever more over the top villain groups. Disputes over limited resources, struggles over the legitimacy of surviving institutions, etc. can all lead to compelling stories that don't rely on "they are rapists/sadists/cannibals/rapits" for sources of conflict.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

You know we're ready for a new episode when people starting talking about a real zombie apocalypse.

Wistfully.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

joepinetree posted:

I think both Jericho and Survivors (bbc series) present possible interesting plots to pursue that don't rely on ever more over the top villain groups. Disputes over limited resources, struggles over the legitimacy of surviving institutions, etc. can all lead to compelling stories that don't rely on "they are rapists/sadists/cannibals/rapits" for sources of conflict.

There was a neat reality show (first time I've ever put those three words in that order) on Discovery or something about a group of people with various skills having to build and maintain an outpost in a mock post apocalypse city. I think they rented a few blocks in Detroit or something and cordoned it off for a month. The drama was definitely hokey and contrived like any reality show, but it felt a lot more relatable because it was the kind of thing that legitimately would happen. I don't think there were ~challenges~ or voting people out or anything, so it was all fights about someone using too much water in the shower or wasting food that would be real but amplified in an actual situation like that. It might have just appealed to me because I was around a mile inland for Katrina and was jealous that I didn't build a solar powered dune buggy like they did.

edit: it was called The Colony

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^And was so retardedly scripted. People had to overcome a set goal, once they did or just before they did, show throws bandits at them that they need to fight off or sling some stupid curveball at them. It was more frustrating than entertaining because you could almost read the plot layouts of each episode as soon as the general goals were laid out.

computer parts posted:

What I'm saying is that you can literally tear one in half or rip out its heart and it won't do anything to stop it as long as the head is intact.

Which still makes more sense since it's the virus controlling the brain which controls the muscles. The virus, as has been shown, keeps the brain working. How is still up in the air.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 9, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Again with the loving virus :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

enraged_camel posted:

The point is that fast zombies are just an example. Do you not agree that mindless ambulatory responses become boring after a while? They are the ones that give a shallow adrenaline rush, because audiences have memorized the formula by now.

It would be if zombies were the focal point of the show instead of the survivors. Sorry there's not enough Michael Bay involved to keep your attention

• Locked thread