Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Their squabble at the beginning of the mission seemed mostly related the the fact that Spender wouldn't tell her about Important Business just because Isaac was around.

What we learned on this page is that whatever secret disagreement Spender has with the Consortium leadership, Zarei (believes she) shares it. (Gramps seemed to somewhat-agree with Spender's rebellion, too. Whatever they're hiding, it's very much a cause that attracts Mayview-natives.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Has Zarei not noticed the giant slash in the Train or the way it's had to be love enchanted?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
she might have heard of spender and zarei as tragic heroes holding back some unspecified horror in a noble act of self-sacrifice

which might not be entirely wrong but she might be misapprehending the nature of the horror and/or the self-sacrifice

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Looks like both of them suspect that there's a spy in Mayview. I guess the obvious candidate for that would be Mr. Garcia.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nah he's just a normal werewolf

MikeJF posted:

Has Zarei not noticed the giant slash in the Train or the way it's had to be love enchanted?

They only just got back like, 60 seconds ago.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well now, this is the first time Isabel has voiced opinion on Spender. Interesting to get her perspective.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So, how long until Day mistakes Spender and Zaredi's secret scheming for secret infatuation and Cupid's Arrow's them? Actually, if her power is making people fall in love temporarily (I assume temporarily), wouldn't that make her an incredible investigator and interrogator since she'd be able to get the truth out of anyone by making people fall in love with her then asking them what they're doing?

She's got to have some kind of ace up her sleeve, she hasn't really come off as a star investigator so far unless her bumbling is part of her cover.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

wouldn't that make her an incredible investigator and interrogator since she'd be able to get the truth out of anyone by making people fall in love with her then asking them what they're doing?

Ya, her power is particularly suited for gathering information from people.
Also, while it might be part of her character, I'm not positive yet that the naivety isn't just an act.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I love that after Day's "Death threat" one of Zarei's body guards steps in front of her.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I loved the

"I've known him my whole life and still don't really know him, y'know?"

"no"

exchange

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kabanaw posted:

I love that after Day's "Death threat" one of Zarei's body guards steps in front of her.

He's doing the "aw shucks" hand-behind-head thing, she's probably just running around complementing everyone.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Countblanc posted:

He's doing the "aw shucks" hand-behind-head thing, she's probably just running around complementing everyone.

Good point, for some reason I thought she was still standing in front of Zarei and Spender.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Dolash posted:

Update.

"Chest wound? I hate chest wounds!"

Are Zarei and Spender in cahoots? I got the impression they were standoffish. She certainly seems interested in what may have happened to Spender's chest, but she may not want to pursue it while Day's here and listening in.

Them being in cahoots seemed obvious from that one panel last time. A common purpose, if not friendly.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I dunno...I actually think maybe they could be an item. I don't know why, but I have a weird feeling.

Spender and Zarei OTP

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Personally, my weird feeling is about Agent Day. Something doesn't add up about her.

Why was she just wandering around on some train tracks heading towards Mayview in the middle of the night, by herself, when she's blind. Aside from the issues that being blind brings, she's completely helpless if a non-spectral finds her and decides to mug her or whatever.

Then there's when she and Spender first encountered each other and she said it was nice to finally meet him. Spender recalled meeting her just 6 months prior, but before he could question it, his shadow spirit broke free and conveniently interrupted that exchange.

Finally, this strip, the very first thing Agent Day says to Zarei and Spender is that she wants to help end their story. What story? Why end it? In exactly what context could that be considered good, given the story so far?

It's a lot of things that keep getting brushed over, when they don't really add up to anything good.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

Personally, my weird feeling is about Agent Day. Something doesn't add up about her.

Why was she just wandering around on some train tracks heading towards Mayview in the middle of the night, by herself, when she's blind. Aside from the issues that being blind brings, she's completely helpless if a non-spectral finds her and decides to mug her or whatever.

Then there's when she and Spender first encountered each other and she said it was nice to finally meet him. Spender recalled meeting her just 6 months prior, but before he could question it, his shadow spirit broke free and conveniently interrupted that exchange.

Finally, this strip, the very first thing Agent Day says to Zarei and Spender is that she wants to help end their story. What story? Why end it? In exactly what context could that be considered good, given the story so far?

It's a lot of things that keep getting brushed over, when they don't really add up to anything good.

I really loved the shot of Day on the silent page of them on the train. When it's zoomed in on her, the eyebrows give her a bit more sinister looking of a smile, while zoomed out from the distance max is looking at it's the same innocent happy smile she's shown in most of her panels.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

neogeo0823 posted:

The story thing, I suspect, alludes to the ~dark and tragic past~ of the world-renowned Doctor Zarei. Presumably she, perhaps like Spender, has an ancient evil inside her that she can't get rid of. I feel like the two have a kinship of some sort--why else are they colluding?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Zarei does have those glowing orange eyes. She could very well be possessed.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Roland Jones posted:

Zarei does have those glowing orange eyes. She could very well be possessed.

Or maybe her diet is just obnoxiously high in citrus.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Lobe posted:

Or maybe her diet is just obnoxiously high in citrus.

the citrus thing feels like a reference to something but idk what

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

the citrus thing feels like a reference to something but idk what
One of the many, many reasons you can end up a spectral.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no i mean the original time it was said in-comic

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

no i mean the original time it was said in-comic
I think it was Ed who said it but it might have been Isabel. I'm pretty sure it happens in the "everyone together in the activity club for the first time" scene, when Max asks about his mom's ghost.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Isaac.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no, i know when it was said :v:

what i'm trying to say is that it always struck me as sounding like a reference to some other work i wasn't familiar with

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Why would it be a reference? Can't it just be it's own thing?

I figured it was a throwaway line that anyone can be a spectral.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
I do see what you mean, it could easily be a reference.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
didn't say it had to be, just that it sort of felt like one in a way that i'm having difficulty articulating :v:

can't wait to see what kind of sick death threats day is making to mr dreadful teeth man

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This update sure is taking a while, isn't it?

I'm enjoying everyone working through introductions and chatting a bit but I do hope we hustle on soon, it'll be good to bring this chapter to a close and get a fresh start.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Oh, cool, update.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

They don' hosed up now

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well, that esclated VERY quickly.

Should have said something Spender.

I think this sums up that page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGp9P6QvMjY

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Zach Morrison posted:

Also, P.S., I'm sure you can put your heads together and come up with a couple seemingly obvious reasons why they're not actually trapped in Mayview, but I'd ask that you give me the benefit of the doubt that these aren't plot holes for the time being! Zarei knows what she's saying.

Hmm. It seems like Zach already has some ideas in mind for what readers might think for "but why can't they just--". I'm curious what those are, because I can't think of any. Spirits have other ways through, but it's been made very clear that the train is the only way Spectrals can get through the barrier (except for the Doorman, who is secret).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That poor train. It looked so happy to have total control over its own actions again and just as it was about to give Zarei a big train-hug, it got crushed. There's gotta be something nearby that the train could possess before it fades away to nothing, but sadly, I don't think that's going to happen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

That poor train. It looked so happy to have total control over its own actions again and just as it was about to give Zarei a big train-hug, it got crushed. There's gotta be something nearby that the train could possess before it fades away to nothing, but sadly, I don't think that's going to happen.

I expect it will possess something. But that won't do them any good since they'd need it to consume enough energy to reform, and that's a process that seems to take a very long time.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4pmlHRokg

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ditocoaf posted:

(except for the Doorman, who is secret).

So Max and Isaac can sneak out, at least.

Although they need to push a door through the barrier first.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Or find a key to a door outside the barrier, or ask someone who isn't a spectral to go outside the barrier and get a key to a door outside the barrier.

Actually, does the Consortium have any non-Spectral members? It probably should, if only for things like this where they need the help of someone who isn't sensitive to (and thus vulnerable to) the spirit world.

Anyway, like Zach says he has the benefit of the doubt and we might find Zarei's statement is pretty conditional. They're not cut off from communicating with the Consortium, since Spender could visit in his dreams and phones are still a thing. There seem to be all kinds of spirits and innovative powers so there's no saying they can't find some other way through eventually, via Doorman there was already one way through the barrier they didn't know about and there could be more.

How old is the Mayview barrier? Did they have the Ghost Train when it went up? Has it always been their only way in and out of town, and if so has it always worked with Zarei? If that's true it seems like an awfully important thing to have treated it so casually.

I'd also like to note that Spender lied to Zarei about his encounter with Forge, which honestly seems weird since Forge was just a big, bad wandering monster to Spender so what's the point of hiding that he found and destroyed him? At the very least it suggests he doesn't trust her very much.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 9, 2014

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

neogeo0823 posted:

Two outta four. Johnny's gang is filling up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Of course, this puts Isaac and Max in an pinch, since they're supposed to keep Doorman a secret.