Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love how misleading the trailer ahead of Dark Water was in regards to the stuff that happened in these episodes, apart from the fact they revealed the Cybermen which I still think would have been a cool reveal before the later reveal of the Master.

Yannick_B posted:

"Is The Doctor bad??" can go right on the shelf for years as well. It's just tired at this point.

Well this episode gave a pretty firm answer to that question in the Doctor's mind at least, and he showed his gratitude to the Master for allowing him to come to the realization.

"I'm not a good man. I'm not a bad man either. I'm an idiot! :haw:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In case anyone's interested, Tomb of the Cybermen is on Drama (Freeview 20, Sky 166, Virgin 190) at 4pm.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Huh. Did Horror loose the license?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Nope it's still going on Horror pretty solidly

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I love how misleading the trailer ahead of Dark Water was in regards to the stuff that happened in these episodes, apart from the fact they revealed the Cybermen which I still think would have been a cool reveal before the later reveal of the Master.

Well this episode gave a pretty firm answer to that question in the Doctor's mind at least, and he showed his gratitude to the Master for allowing him to come to the realization.

"I'm not a good man. I'm not a bad man either. I'm an idiot! :haw:"

If they don't go back to it, that's great! We've had "Good Man this, Good Man that" ever since Moffat took over the show and I understand wanting to make a meal out of that after casting Capaldi.

I've watched half of this season yesterday to catch up for the finale. I love Capaldi and Coleman. Each episode have good ideas/moments but outside of an episode like Flatline, they all feel jumbled together.

Looking forward to Nick Frost though!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, "four wives, all deceased". One of them's obviously River, but Clara was wrong, because the TARDIS is very much alive. :colbert:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The best thing, among a lot of best things in this episode, was Danny starting his Epic Speech and Missy is in the background giving a full-body :rolleyes:.

EDIT: And I'll say it: Osgood deserved to die. You know what the "Say something nice before I kill you" thing is? It's Missy asking the person she's saying it to to say whatever keeps them alive. In that moment when Osgood is groveling, you see someone that would sell out The Doctor and UNIT to survive.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 9, 2014

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Definitely liked the previous episode more than this one. Also, the Cyber-Brig can go gently caress himself.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I basically demand more Missy/Master. That's all I care about.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I've got to say, I found Dannys faceplateless cyber helmet so reminiscent of Heimdals helmet in thor that I cant remember Dannys speech at all. I'm trying, but I keep coming up with Elbas "Today we are cancelling the apocalypse" speech from pacific rim.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SiKboy posted:

I've got to say, I found Dannys faceplateless cyber helmet so reminiscent of Heimdals helmet in thor that I cant remember Dannys speech at all. I'm trying, but I keep coming up with Elbas "Today we are cancelling the apocalypse" speech from pacific rim.

It was nonsense any way, especially because he's problem with authority isn't actually born out of him killing that kid because that was all on him being a lovely soldier.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

The best thing, among a lot of best things in this episode, was Danny starting his Epic Speech and Missy is in the background giving a full-body :rolleyes:.

EDIT: And I'll say it: Osgood deserved to die. You know what the "Say something nice before I kill you" thing is? It's Missy asking the person she's saying it to to say whatever keeps them alive. In that moment when Osgood is groveling, you see someone that would sell out The Doctor and UNIT to survive.

Really? I assumed her "I would be more useful alive" was less a "I will betray everyone to live" and more "I will buy time for rescue or to sabotage her."

But I liked the character so I may be prejudiced.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

malk83 posted:

So, just to clarify - every corpse on planet Earth has just been turned into a robot, and then exploded.
Then, Santa Claus shows up in the Tardis.

What?

I think they said in the episode that only a certain number of the graves actually ended up being cyber-converted, not all of them.

They also said that the Master must have traveled through Earth's history setting this up... hopefully the Doctor encounters her again earlier along in her timestream where she has a trap ready for him when she's disguised as Dr Skarosa or setting up the concept of the afterlife or whatever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Death in Heaven gifs

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

PriorMarcus posted:

It was nonsense any way, especially because he's problem with authority isn't actually born out of him killing that kid because that was all on him being a lovely soldier.
So basically Moffat planned The Master coming back over two seasons but forgot to write a scene where an officer tells Danny to clear a room because there obviously are terrorists in there, rather than Danny being trigger happy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Well it was certainly better than Time Of The Doctor. I was definitely expecting more of a puzzle box though; I rewatched Dark Water thinking "ooh, this long scene with the dream patch that must be setting it up for later, ooh the water makes non-organic matter invisible I bet that'll be significant in the next episode" and then the resolution was that the cybermen all fly into the air and explode. Clara's ending might have been a bit too sad considering there are kids watching, but I did like them both lying to each other because they think the other's happy. I liked it enough to even forgive the pointless tacked-on scene of Danny sending the child he murdered back to life. The Cyberbrig was also tacked on, and the Master should just have got away, but I liked the little salute scene and laughed at him rocketing off. I didn't like it as much as The Big Bang but it's probably the best Moffat's done since then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
That was lackluster as all get out. It might've been because I was expecting with this episode's high mortality rate that it was gonna be some reversal of fortune "this time everybody lives!" turn, but that conflict resolution seemed extremely stupid to me. The Doctor just sat around doing nothing until a side character pretty much told him to get out of the way so he could play Doctor and thwart the villian. I'm almost starting to miss RTD's bullshit finale endings.

Also I guess the master's tardis is just kinda sitting somewhere waiting to be hijacked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, and here is the Master being teleported as well as the final shot. Similar effect and it fits in with Time Heist where a device designed to look like a disintegrator was actually a teleporter.... but really, the Master is always going to come back whether there is a reason or excuse, because that's just what the Master does.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Rannos22 posted:

I'm almost starting to miss RTD's bullshit finale endings.

But this follows the tradition of RTD's bullshit finales pretty well though... :confused:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
How many times have the Cybermen been defeated by the power of HEART again?

Aside from that, I liked it. The Master's attempt to convince the Doctor that he's actually evil seems a bit hackneyed until you realise how loving contrived it is on the Master's part - she had to establish the idea of the afterlife over the history of an entire species, subvert it, set up an apocalypse, then make the only way that the Doctor could possibly end it was to be like her. All this to try to get her friend back, after gleefully murdering half of the Doctor's friends, instead of just saying that she's sorry and trying to be a good person. The Master is goddamn twisted.

Oh, and I liked Osgood, but I'm fine with her being dead. She would have got very annoying very fast if overused.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
This was quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever watched. I loved it. Gomez better not be done, she is incredible.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Capaldi and Gomez acted the hell out of that. I'm not sure what it was, but they did very well.

MisterBibs posted:

The Doctor uses this line of argument on multiple occasions, most famously in the Seeds of Death.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

That finale was doing fine until the resolution of the main plot, then it started kind of going off the rails and the bracelet resurrection stuff was so bad it must have been some kind of last minute addition when Moffat realized he hadn't given Danny emotional resolution for the shot kid plot, or something like that. If you drop a plot point like that on the audience's lap you need to lay out the foundation for it ahead of time instead off-screen bullshit.

At least I picked the right week to get acquainted with the Pertwee serials. Having the enormous painting of the Brig on the plane was silly but you needed it for the CyberBrig reveal.

Also the protocol for Earth invasion is something I would pen myself.

Is the planet under attack? Yes
Is the Doctor on the planet? Yes
-> Put him in charge of everything

Sedating him is bound to put him in a bad mood though. That was another thing that felt like author expedience. The Doctor seemed to take it extremely in stride.

For Christmas I would have liked some more Gomez Master but Nick Frost will do.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I imagine his thought process went something like "well, I was going to tell you what to do anyway, soooo."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

They should've just named the plane after him rather than having a goofy loving picture of him on the wall.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
What a disappointing finale. Osgood deserved better than that. The Missy fakeout death was extremely predictable.
I just hope whoever is the companion next year, they have a backbone like Clara got this season.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Andrew_1985 posted:

I just hope whoever is the companion next year, they have a backbone like Clara got this season.

Hopefully more range and facial expressions though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

They should've just named the plane after him rather than having a goofy loving picture of him on the wall.

The Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart is a bit of a mouthful for a plane name.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Missy Briggy for short

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Mary Poppins bit was the best moment aside from "I'm an idiot!". Both actors knocked it out of the park. But overall this was pretty drat lazy for a finale. A rehash of the Master's last arc, raining machine-humans down from the sky (let's do that burning sky thing AGAIN) for an even more idiotic reason (ok, it was partly in character). Sloppy wish-fulfilment to the max - killing off a minor character for the lulz but CyberBrig saves daughter from the sky :barf:, to name just one example. Danny Who and Clara Brat, a match made in heaven. It's a tribute to her acting that I've come to dislike Clara, she represents the worst of the wish-fulfilment in so much New Who. Danny was a mere device to show us Clara's negative side; the only trick in the whole series was to make us initially think it was the Doctor's. Is she pregnant? Does she adopt the kid? Does that fix that niggling problem with the time line? I no longer care, maybe a magic puppy with a special rainbow fixes it, that's the level of excuse we've devolved to with Moffat. Oh right, Santa Claus, whoop de doo.

Honestly, Dr Who is thrashing about. Something's got to change, it's more fundamental than just Moffat. Stories either choke to death in a 45min format or skip from one rehashed trope to another in an attempt to fool the audience something substantial is happening. Not new criticisms of course. But a new season of a new Doctor should be different in some way, and it hasn't been. Peter Capaldi deserves better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Every single character and actor should be introduced this way. Even extra's.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Well, this season ended on a wet fart, didn't it?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

While I'm still up, the "tribute" to Courtney felt completely misplaced and inappropriate. It's like the fetish anime-style cartoons tributes to 9/11 - good god the necessary gravitas and dignity required to pull it off was lacking.

Meanwhile, a man actually squeed in Doctor Who. I'm going to go full Nefud on Chris Addison.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Meanwhile, a man actually squeed in Doctor Who. I'm going to go full Nefud on Chris Addison.

That was the only murder I was in full agreement with.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Doctor Who = Spaced reunion

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Kate is pretty two dimensional and poo poo. I wouldn't of minded her being killed off.

It's never going to be mentioned again but there's a second one of her and Osgood running around anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Doctor Who = Spaced reunion

He may have been in Blake's Seven but he's not been in Doctor Who. No Mark Heap, no dice.

• Locked thread