Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

How would universal healthcare work in libertopia? Clearly there would be no government run programs like medicare and medicaid, and there would be no regulation, and thus nothing to artificially alter prices on the private market. Because the health insurance market is now unfettered, prices for insurance plummet so that even though there's nothing like a mandate to buy health insurance, presumably everyone will buy health insurance because it's so cheap.

Did I get that right? If so, what's the explanation for the tens of millions of people (if not more) who didn't have health insurance before LBJ ruined everything with medicare/medicaid?

Often they also include something about medicines being much less expensive and/or obtainable without having to get a prescription as forced by evil Statist drug regulations/medical licensing requirements.

As to why this didn't happen pre-LBJ, I think you know the answer: The State. It's always the State that made the bad things happen. It's only the State that makes bad things happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Also remember that if you have a suspicion that maybe the state can make medicine affordable to everyone just fine, because comparing medicine costs today, it's always more expensive in nations with less state control over healthcare than ones with more, always remember that you're wrong. Praxeology tells us that because we know deep down in our souls that the Free Market always makes things better and the state makes things worse, we can ignore empirical evidence to the contrary because it must be a trick by the Demiurge to get us to doubt our faith in the Free Markets.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

DrProsek posted:

Also remember that if you have a suspicion that maybe the state can make medicine affordable to everyone just fine, because comparing medicine costs today, it's always more expensive in nations with less state control over healthcare than ones with more, always remember that you're wrong. Praxeology tells us that because we know deep down in our souls that the Free Market always makes things better and the state makes things worse, we can ignore empirical evidence to the contrary because it must be a trick by the Demiurge to get us to doubt our faith in the Free Markets.

That's another thing. Libertarian thought turns the concept of the free market from a tool for commerce and wealth, into basically an angry volcano god whom we must appease and not hinder in any way, or else face an unspecified armageddon.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

StandardVC10 posted:

That's another thing. Libertarian thought turns the concept of the free market from a tool for commerce and wealth, into basically an angry volcano god whom we must appease and not hinder in any way, or else face an unspecified armageddon.

Basically this:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Interweb posted:

How would universal healthcare work in libertopia? Clearly there would be no government run programs like medicare and medicaid, and there would be no regulation, and thus nothing to artificially alter prices on the private market. Because the health insurance market is now unfettered, prices for insurance plummet so that even though there's nothing like a mandate to buy health insurance, presumably everyone will buy health insurance because it's so cheap.

Did I get that right? If so, what's the explanation for the tens of millions of people (if not more) who didn't have health insurance before LBJ ruined everything with medicare/medicaid?

Uh, what? This is like asking "how do we ensure the workers seize the means of production in libertarianism?". Guaranteeing universal health care is 100% un-Libertarian.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

The typical response that I've heard is that we shouldn't need insurance to pay for healthcare. Back in the glory days of the early 1900's, why, people would just go on up to the hospital and pay out of pocket for services! It was only once the mean old government began to interfere that prices shot up like a rocket. If we remove the government prices will decrease and then people will be able to make the choice on whether or not to risk going without insurance free of coercion.

Whats that timmy? Yeah sure some people will probably have poor time preferences and choose not to buy insurance because they are healthy. And sure some of those people will get hit by a bus, or get cancer or have their hearts explode etc. If they can't afford it, well then they simply don't get treatment, caveat emptor my friend!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm pretty sure you could still get 1900-quality healthcare for pretty cheap compared to chemo. Especially if you grow your own cocaine.

Maybe you can't get sulfa drugs anymore but with the money you save on expensive antibiotics you should be able to buy enough old-timey thermometers to work up some mercury treatments.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Caros posted:

Back in the glory days of the early 1900's, why, people would just go on up to the hospital and pay out of pocket for services!
"Out of pocket"? Surely you don't mean with a government issued banknote!? That bill in your hand is woven from the misappropriated bounty of a purposeful mind, stamped with broken promises by a false authority, and serves only to deplete the wealth of all who touch it. Can anyone believe that human health or wellbeing can be purchased with such coin?

No, my friend. "Men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

How would universal healthcare work in libertopia?

Death :unsmigghh:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
The real answer is that there's no regulation on doctors so you're rolling the dice on whether you're buying actual medicine from a qualified doctor or tincture of methamphetamine from a traveling con-artist. Either way it's only a matter of time before you're killed by an anti-biotic resistant infection complements of a totally unregulated market for pharmaceuticals.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nah, without the corrupt FDA, the free market will have rating agencies whose business depends on their unimpeachable honour. Much like the financial rating agencies, in Libertopia drug manufacturers will pay them to inspect and certify their products; so just look for that shiny gold AAA sticker and you'll know you've got a greater chance of dying from a civilization-ending comet than you do of getting some toxic financial or pharmaceutical product.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In Valhalla DRO you'd be treated to the best health care plan, with integrative medicine battle-poultices crafted by Dr. Andrew Weil, Professor of Medicine and thegn of Tuscon.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

The real answer is that there's no regulation on doctors so you're rolling the dice on whether you're buying actual medicine from a qualified doctor or tincture of methamphetamine from a traveling con-artist. Either way it's only a matter of time before you're killed by an anti-biotic resistant infection complements of a totally unregulated market for pharmaceuticals.

Well to be fair, it's also a matter of time before word of mouth gets around and people know that Dr Clark Stanley's Snake Oil won't in fact treat cancer and so his rating on Yelp will plummet (assuming Yelp doesn't delete the bad feedback, but I'm sure if that happened Yelp would get bad reviews on Yelp and then people would stop using Yelp). We just have to wait for a good 5 or 6 people to die from not getting cancer medicine and taking his fake stuff. Also we assume in this argument that people will generally have the spare time to look around and make a list of good and bad doctors, pharmaceutical companies, and ambulance companies.

JRod, do you think the work day will get shorter in a Libertarian world?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Nah, without the corrupt FDA, the free market will have rating agencies whose business depends on their unimpeachable honour. Much like the financial rating agencies, in Libertopia drug manufacturers will pay them to inspect and certify their products; so just look for that shiny gold AAA sticker and you'll know you've got a greater chance of dying from a civilization-ending comet than you do of getting some toxic financial or pharmaceutical product.

Fortunately, with the creation of Libertopia, civilization has already come to an end, so a comet is nothing to worry about.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

DrProsek posted:

Well to be fair, it's also a matter of time before word of mouth gets around and people know that Dr Clark Stanley's Snake Oil won't in fact treat cancer and so his rating on Yelp will plummet (assuming Yelp doesn't delete the bad feedback, but I'm sure if that happened Yelp would get bad reviews on Yelp and then people would stop using Yelp). We just have to wait for a good 5 or 6 people to die from not getting cancer medicine and taking his fake stuff. Also we assume in this argument that people will generally have the spare time to look around and make a list of good and bad doctors, pharmaceutical companies, and ambulance companies.

JRod, do you think the work day will get shorter in a Libertarian world?

I think the continued existence of Homeopathy and Orgone Therapy speaks against this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Fortunately, with the creation of Libertopia, civilization has already come to an end, so a comet is nothing to worry about.

The comet is sweet, sweet relief

Political Whores posted:

I think the continued existence of Homeopathy and Orgone Therapy speaks against this.

Those scams only exist because of the state and/or you're falling for FDA anti-orgone propaganda because they don't want you to know the secret to curing all disease!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 8, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SedanChair posted:

In Valhalla DRO you'd be treated to the best health care plan, with integrative medicine battle-poultices crafted by Dr. Andrew Weil, Professor of Medicine and thegn of Tuscon.

We also have some of the best users of Seidr magic on this or any other continent! No expense is spared (for those who can pay)!

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

DrProsek posted:

(assuming Yelp doesn't delete the bad feedback, but I'm sure if that happened Yelp would get bad reviews on Yelp and then people would stop using Yelp)
This is a weird complaint. Yelp exists today and has businesses with bad feedback that don't get deleted. It's pretty clearly not government regulation that stops this. Of course, Yelp is a poor substitute for the FDA, but "Yelp might delete bad feedback, even though it doesn't appear to do that today" isn't a reason why.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

twodot posted:

This is a weird complaint. Yelp exists today and has businesses with bad feedback that don't get deleted. It's pretty clearly not government regulation that stops this. Of course, Yelp is a poor substitute for the FDA, but "Yelp might delete bad feedback, even though it doesn't appear to do that today" isn't a reason why.

On the other hand, Yelp is rumored to shake businesses down for subscriptions by running more bad reviews if they don't buy enough ads.

edit: and there are people who make a job of brushing up a business' Yelp reputation

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

StandardVC10 posted:

On the other hand, Yelp is rumored to shake businesses down for subscriptions by running more bad reviews if they don't buy enough ads.
Citation?

quote:

edit: and there are people who make a job of brushing up a business' Yelp reputation
This is pretty plausible.
edit:
To be clear, even if both of your points are true, that still doesn't validate the complaint I quoted.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The BBB is also known to dock you several letter grades for not joining.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

twodot posted:

Citation?

Well it's not quite what I remember but they did get unsuccessfully sued for it.

A much older opinion piece on the same issue.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

shiranaihito posted:

Congratulations, you got me to respond :P

In a nutshell, Caros seems to think that problems caused by government are a justification for government. Of course, he doesn't actually think that. He knows the fact that healthcare is expensive somewhere doesn't actually make extortion moral, especially when that extortion is the basis for what's caused healthcare to be expensive.

Suppose you've got cancer, you're a friend of Caros, and you live in the US. Will you do your loving darndest to not die? -Of course you will. If you're thinking of going to Canada for some healthcare, would it occur to you that some other country might be an option too?

-Of course it would, especially with someone as smart as Caros assisting you. You'd even like, look pretty hard for viable options, and you would do whatever the gently caress you could to finance a trip to Thailand, where good medical care is available for a small fraction of the price in America. Oh, and Caros would do whatever he could to help you, because *he cares* soooo loving much that he'll just *turn irrational* if you die! :P So I bet he'd also chip in to cover the costs of, you know, having you live.

I'm not buying Caros' sob story, and we all know it wasn't a (rational) justification for rejecting AnCap.

Do you win all of your arguments by declaring yourself the winner and insisting that everybody else can't seriously disagree with you?

You are aware that travel can be very difficult for sick people, especially when the options are't as clear and easy as you make it sound. And here's the thing about medical treatments, it's not an easy game to play. At some point, even if you get the treatment, you could still die. And it becomes a question of how do you want to live. I can think that many of us would rather spend our time with our family and friends than in a Thai hospital surrounded by strangers.

But I know this doesn't matter to you. Because you've already declared yourself the winner, and any criticism of an-cap is obviously just a sociopathic troll trying to egg you on. It's easy to win arguments when you come into them with zero faith.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

twodot posted:

Sorry, that point was poorly developed and half assed. It was basically a continuation of the theme that even in today's not quite free market, people still take all the information available to them and make irrational choices. Yes, Yelp hasn't openly started banning all negative feedback or anything, but the idea was that since they've announced publicly they were interested in doing something that would allow them to censor user reviews, the rational actors of the market should all stop doing business with Yelp even if they never used the power to delete bad reviews that they fought for, just on the principle that Yelp fought for something that goes against their interest and what they want from Yelp.

However it's not a particularly great point, especially since if you want to start putting on your tin foil hat the FDA could get the poo poo bribed out of it and suddenly unpasteurized milk can be sold as a cure to cancer, and if you want to talk about irrational actors and look at a far better example, see Homeopathy and Orgone Therapy.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

You can check someone's posting history by pushing the little question mark in the bottom left hand of his post. It shows you everything he has posted in this thread. In this particular instance you'd learn that he basically came in after your last bout of posts and threw a temper tantrum of epic proportions. As others have pointed out he started by calling anyone who disagreed with him 'subhuman scum' and then decried the fact that most of the replies made in his direction were Ad Hominem attacks while at the same time declaring any replies of substance to be 'filibustering' him.

Shiranaihito is not a good poster.

For what it is worth I too enjoy engaging with the other side. Part of why I argue so much in the libertarian thread is that I very much enjoy debate in and of itself, and it is something I scarcely get to practice in day to day life anymore. It is nicer when you guys come to me however, largely because in my experience libertarian forums actually tend to be way more banhappy than we are.

Back earlier this year I posted daily, substantive replies to the Libertarian Party of Canada's private forums as a way to wake myself up and flex out my hands for work. In my experience I actually gave significantly better than I got, but that probably has more to do with the fact that their forums are home to people who are largely uneducated on even their own belief system, let alone mine. I don't mean that as an insult, more that many of them are bell weather libertarians who picked up the ideology because they like pot and haven't really paid any attention to the rest of what their party believes.

I've mentioned multiple times that it is unfair for people to criticise you for not replying to every post. If you'd like I can go back to the intro post and edit in a request not to mention that since it is in fact, unfair to you.

No need to do that so long as people understand the exhausting nature of debating one against twenty or more and the fact that if I don't respond to every critique that is made against me that does not mean that I don't have an answer.

I too have spent time on various forums practicing debating with differing political factions, some left wing and other right wing. Like yourself I give much better than I receive and I usually blow them away. A lot of that has to do with the fact that most people don't know anything. You might get a handful of people who respond with some substance or actually understand their own ideology with any depth, but the rest get really frustrated that anyone is disrupting their circle jerk of bias confirmation and reinforced prejudices. They just say "we cheerlead for this side and don't want to be bothered with having to defend anything we believe."

That is why SA is unique in some ways. A lot of you actually have some familiarity with libertarian ideology. And you have a close knit community of people who are dedicated to what they believe. Posters either respond with a legitimate criticism or they are skilled at presenting a facade of intelligent critique.

I also have to mention that when I post here, I usually describe a coherent philosophy of rights, of ethics, of politics. And the rest of you try and nitpick and find holes in the belief system I am defending. That is not to say that such criticisms are not valid and should not be answered, but it is far easier to sit back and pick holes in a proposal that someone else offers, especially when you are not asked to defend an alternative.

Humans are fallible and there will always exist difficult problems for society to solve. It is far easier to propose difficult hypothetical scenarios as a way of criticism. The issue at hand is that you all seem to think that by pointing out potential issues with externalities, or the difficulty of proving environmental harm to a court system, or extremely unlikely lifeboat scenarios you have won the argument. Leaving aside the fact that libertarians have good, or at least coherent and consistent answers to these sorts of criticisms, the truth is that you have to go further and describe how introducing State violence into society will alleviate those difficult problems without creating new, equally or more serious problems and unintended consequences elsewhere.

Some of you seem to think it is enough to say "this difficult hypothetical problem could potentially exist in a proposed society". There is no system of political organization on earth that can possibly alleviate all human problems. Utopia is a nice fantasy but it cannot exist unless the nature of man fundamentally changes.

The State is like the default answer to all social ills for non-anarchist leftists. They are constantly on the lookout for supposed "market failures" with which to justify State violence. But the State itself is not subjected to similar criticism. In fact, virtually all proposed leftist solutions involve political action. If there is an identified problem in society, a left leaning social democrat type will encourage people to vote, to run for Congress, to get involved politically to use the political process to solve any and all social ills.

As I have noticed on this forum, the reason so many of you are having trouble considering market solutions to social problems is that you are conditioned to favor politics as the solution to most every social ill. When you ask "how could x possibly be provided without the State?", I ask "how would YOU go about providing x to society? What would you do without the State to solve social problems, to help the poor, to protect the environment, to ensure that the food we buy is safe and that consumers have the information they need to make informed decisions about who they do business with?"

I usually have a laundry list of things I would do, or am currently doing the marketplace to address problems I see in society. But I am only a single person and my abilities are limited. The point is that left social democrats have no idea, as a general statement, how to think like an entrepreneur.

Despite the mythology, humans don't need coercive State violence to address social ills. Voluntary solutions to social problems are possible and occur all the time. You are just conditioned to not notice them.

You have to work from first principles and apply a standard of ethics to human behavior. Like the North Star guiding a ship, we use first principles to guide humanity towards an uncertain future.

Caros posted:

Before I mention anything else, I just want to ask... do you know what my Avatar/Text refers to? It was purchased for me in the last thread you made before you got banned, specifically referencing this exact circumstance. You'd asked me why I stopped being a libertarian, and in nearly the same words as this you condescendingly explained to me why I was wrong to make the decision. It was the post you got banned for as I recall, though the fact that you stopped posting was the actual reason you were banned.

That out of the way, before I reply I'd like if you could finally answer the question I'd asked months and months ago. I've given you both my reasons why I became and later stopped being a libertarian. Why are you, JRodefeld, a libertarian?

A lot of it had to do with war and foreign policy initially, I am a younger guy so my political views were formed in the post 9/11 era. I saw what happened to America during the Bush Administration. I witnessed the Iraq War, I knew people who went over to Iraq and fought for a lie. I was in high school when 9/11 happened and for a short time I bought into the propaganda about how "everything changed" and we needed to go to war to punish "those guys". But even for a teenager the whole thing seemed to be rotten to the core and I felt like people were using this event to transform this country for the worse.

My mom was a libertarian but she never really spoke about politics too much with me. The one thing I did get from her though was a comfort in being against the mainstream, for thinking for myself. Sometime after I graduated from high school, sometime in 2005 or 2006 I started looking into libertarianism more seriously. I person I started reading first is Harry Browne, who ran as the libertarian party candidate in 1996 and 2000. I was very impressed by his commentary on the Bush Administration and the so-called "war on terror". I heard him calling Bush a war criminal, denouncing the Iraq War and the trashing of our Bill of Rights. But more than anything, I heard him speak the view, as Ron Paul would later make famous, that middle east Muslims had every right to hate us, they hated being on the receiving end of imperialist war profiteering and Israeli-first kowtowing and it was only logical (if not defensible) that they would lash out against us in any way they could.

This really made sense to me. I hadn't heard any Democrat speak like that, in fact I'd heard anyone even suggesting such a thing being denounced as an American hater, a friend of the terrorists and an enemy. Yet it resonated with me. And I respected the fact that the libertarians that I read were never intimidated by the post-9/11 hysteria and they stuck to these unpopular beliefs and spoke truth to power during the height of the Republicans propaganda.

I also found it very appealing that Harry Browne defended the Bill of Rights consistently, both the forth amendment AND the first and that he condemned both political parties for picking and choosing which rights to defend and which to violate. I liked that you could be fiscally responsible yet socially tolerant. There was a consistency that I appreciated.

Then I got involved with the Ron Paul campaign in 2007. When that was going on, I got far more interested in reading about the philosophy in more depth. I got more interested in economic theory and the Federal Reserve. I found out about the Mises Institute and I started to read everything I could. I started to listen to Antiwar Radio and then the Scott Horton Show (I highly recommend it) and I became more interested in the arguments being presented.

Along the way I eventually abandoned Minarchism and discovered Anarchism and concluded that the State is indefensible and immoral no matter what size it happens to be. I continued to compare and contrast what libertarian thinkers were arguing with what various right wing and left wing commentators were saying and I found I was easily able to pick holes in their arguments. After I read Murray Rothbard, Frederic Bastiat, and other serious libertarian intellectuals, I just found it hard to take any other arguments seriously. I continue to keep an open mind but I have been converted at present and I find all arguments for the State or against property rights to be contradictory and indefeasible.

Caros posted:

I'm a little torn over whether I should go line by line in reply to this, but I think a post with a coherent narrative is better than breaking it up piecemeal, so lets do that.

First off, I want to make something abundantly, fully clear. I am not an expert on most things, and I never went to college. I am a writer by profession, and I have had no formal education on any subject since I was eighteen. When I talk economics, most of what I know is from libertarian books I read in my youth, and from information I've learned since. When I talk philosophy, or math or education, all of these things I am knowledgeable enough to discuss but I would never consider myself a primary source.

I am an expert when it comes to healthcare schemes. I have immersed myself in this topic for the better part of half a decade, I've read dozens of books on the subject, attended lectures and been involved in local lobbying to prevent Canada from adopting semi-privatization schemes that I'm sure you'd delight in. I don't say this to brag, merely to underscore the point that despite your assertion this is not merely some flight of fancy or some emotional collapse that pulled me away from pure reason. While I am still open to the idea that I could be wrong, as I have been wrong before, the bar to discredit my beliefs on the subject is ridiculously high based on the evidence that I have reviewed over time.

Okay, good to know. I don't consider myself an expert at most things either. I have gone to college but I never got a degree in economics (though I took several courses) nor in history or political science (I took some courses in both as well). But I think emphasis on formal education is actually not a good guide of the knowledge a person possesses anymore. If someone has a passion for something, I think they can learn as much or much more outside of the classroom through independent study. The value of formal education for me is that I was exposed, at a basic level, to a wide scope of economics, political theory and history. Make no mistake, this is just a hobby for me.

I think I touched on this briefly before, but I have some knowledge of the healthcare system because I have dealt with some health problems for the past several years. I trust that you have studied it more than I have, but being sick and navigating the healthcare system is an eye opener to say the least. I don't want to really go into great depth, but the health issues I am dealing with are thoracic outlet syndrome and Lyme disease. You can Google them if you like, but suffice to say they are no picnic.

That doesn't mean I have any special knowledge of healthcare but I am not oblivious to what people have to go through if they get sick and need medical care.

Caros posted:

With that said, I am going to bring my argument against you in five separate points:

I. That my friend would have been cured in a Socialist State.
II. That Healthcare can, or should be efficiently run as a market.
III. That Healthcare costs are inflated well beyond what they should otherwise be.
IV. That a Libertarian healthcare system would be more available or moral than a Socialist one.
V. That I was somehow 'not a true libertarian' when I converted away from the doctrine.

I apologize in advance for the wall of text.

I - That my friend would have been cured in a Socialist State

Let me begin by saying that it is entirely unclear, due to your word usage, whether we are talking about Universal Healthcare in Canada, or in Soviet Russia. Considering the topic at hand I assume you meant a typical UHC scheme, but you did say Socialist State, of which there are scant few left in the world. For the purposes of this argument I am going to assume you meant to say UHC, and I will be using Canada for my example.

Furthermore let me clarify that I do not argue that my friend would have been cured in a Socialist State, merely that she would have been treated. A 95% five year survival rate seems like a certain thing to my monkey brain, it is true, but it does still leave a 5% rate of death within those five years. It is entirely possible that her death would have been unavoidable, just as it is entirely possible that she could have gone into spontaneous remission at any point while she fought tooth and nail to receive treatment. If your argument is that I have to prove 100% that she would have been cured, the congratulations, you've won that argument outright since it is impossible to prove. I am going to proceed under the believe that you are not intellectually bankrupt, and that you actually meant she would have received treatment.

Because that is the point I believes we are discussing. We are not discussing the cruel winds of fate and whether treatment would have been effective if given, we are discussing the fact that treatment was not given at all. Just like it is entirely possible she could have recovered on her own, it is entirely possible the treatment would have done nothing. Statistically however, the treatment would have given her many more years of life. I believe her twenty year rate was still around 80%, which is about as good as you can get for cancer.

If we accept that the argument is about receiving treatment, which I believe is the only argument worth having... then I don't see how you have any leg to stand on. While I will be the first to admit that Canada's Universal Healthcare system is far from perfect, the idea of a Canadian not receiving the critical care they are entitled to is simply absurd.

I find it difficult to even argue my point here because as far as I am concerned you do not have any points to argue against. Yes, Canada has waiting lists, but only for non-life saving care. If she were coming here to get a hip replacement you'd have a point, but if you have Cancer in Canada you get treated, and treated quickly. Its possible you're hinting that she might have needed experimental drugs that are not approved in Canada, but every typical example of that I can find involves Cancer drugs that are not proven to work being denied on the basis of them not working or not being fully tested.

I know of about two dozen cases over the last ten years of Canadians dying due to lack of medical care to which they were entitled. In each and every one of these cases the defining issue at fault was malpractice. Someone messed up triage and a person bled to death in the waiting room and so forth. You simply do not end up dying in Canada due to inability to afford medical care.

Yes, I was referring to Canadian style single-payer healthcare.

I'd like some more information about the situation with your friend. Did he (she?) have any sort of health insurance prior to getting diagnosed with cancer? What did treatment entail? Chemotherapy? Surgery? How long would the course of treatment have had to run?

If he had insurance, I find it extremely hard to believe that he would be denied if a doctor diagnosed him with cancer AND the success of treatment is high. If had my share of time battling insurance companies, but that seems hard to believe. If insurance serves any purpose whatsoever it is in protecting against just this sort of scenario, where an unexpected and life threatening illness strikes and you need costly treatment to save your life.

I must conclude that this was instead a situation where your friend didn't have insurance and was faced with the prospect of paying out of pocket for all the medical bills for a protracted and lengthy treatment process. Even if that were the case, it is likely that some insurance coverage could be acquired albeit with very high rates.

Did your friend look to charity to help pay medical bills? There are many doctors who provide some treatment for free. There are even places like the Oklahoma Surgery Center that charge far lower prices for surgery since they don't take insurance. We are still talking about thousands and thousands of dollars, but the cost is such that most people could get a loan to pay the cost and pay it off within a few years.

I understand that some people really have very few means at their disposal but a young person getting treatable cancer and not having ANY significant treatment offered seems absolutely unfathomable. I don't know the specifics but I have to wonder whether every avenue was explored?

Remember I am not defending the current system but as someone who has dealt with medical issues, you have to navigate this system to get the care you need.

I agree that whether your friend would have been cured is beside the point and impossible to prove. The question is whether he would have been treated.

I think you are making a faulty assumption that everyone under single payer healthcare systems who suffer life threatening ailments receive the treatment they need. They may receive SOME treatment. But suppose the cost barrier was no longer there for a sick person and they could access their needed treatment through the market economy? I would guarantee that the QUALITY of the treatment offered in a market AND the prognosis for recovery would be far greater under a market system than under a single payer system.

I think that proponents of single payer healthcare know this, even if they don't say it explicitly. There is a reason that advocates of single payer like Bernie Sanders say that, provided you have the ability to pay, you can get great healthcare through the market. They focus on the millions who are currently uninsured or cannot afford any healthcare at all as a rationale for adopting single payer. What they don't do is advertise these reforms to upper middle class Americans who can afford good health care through the market and say "you know, you should give up your private healthcare that you are currently paying for because the quality of care offered by a State managed bureaucracy will be far superior to that offered by the private market." They know that is not the case so they don't even bother making that argument.

However making the case to a poor person that SOME healthcare offered is better than none, since you are currently priced out of the market, is a much more compelling case. And I agree wholeheartedly, that on an individual anecdotal basis, there are people who cannot afford healthcare for whatever reason who would be better off in a State-run bureaucracy where there is SOME chance they get treatment, regardless of how inefficient or substandard the quality may be.

Remember when Obama made the statement that if like your current healthcare insurance you can keep it? The issue under single payer systems is that it slowly destroys the private healthcare market and so people don't really have many options outside of the State bureaucracy. Now people are subject to waiting lists and rationing of care who otherwise could have simply purchased the medical care they needed.

The reason why single payer destroys the healthcare market is that people will gravitate and overuse any service that is "free". Should I use the physical therapist that charges $80 a session or should I use the one that is "free"? People who don't understand the economics of healthcare overuse services where they would think twice if they had to pay out of pocket. Without the price mechanism, market signals and competition, the quality of care suffers.

Like Obama's famous lie, everyone ends up being effected when the State starts centrally planning such a huge part of the economy. Every single time the State intervenes to provide social services, they tell us that they are just targeting the very poor or uninsured and that you won't be affected. The problem is that, like I said, when government offers a free alternative many leave their current private practitioner in favor of free goods. What that means is that the private doctors are forced to take employment within the public system or leave the professional altogether.

Caros posted:

II - That Healthcare can, or should be efficiently run as a market.

One of the defining moments for my switch from Libertarian to the more utilitarian beliefs I hold now was learning of the various ways that market based healthcare is flawed. I'm going to do a bit of a nested list and give you five more points:

-Inelastic Demand
-Insurance
-Imbalanced information
-Discounting
-Inability to pay
-Lack of Choice

I call it the Four I's, one L and a D (I don't call it that). Lets jump in shall we?

Inelastic Demand - This is perhaps the biggest and most damning of all the various problems with market based healthcare, and I'd be very curious to see your reply as to why it is not in fact, a problem. In short inelastic is an economic term used to describe the situation in which the supply and demand for a good or service are unaffected when the price of that good or service changes. Inelastic means that when the price goes up, consumer's buying habits stay about the same, and when the price goes down, consumers' buying habits also remain unchanged.

Medicine is in many ways the perfect example of inelastic demand. If I tell you that you are going to die without say... this insulin, then the typical method of determining price, supply and demand, pretty much goes out the window. You will pay what you need to pay to survive. It is typically a little more complicated than that, but study after study has shown that supply and demand have almost no impact on the pricing of medical procedures. Typically this is quantified by a price elacticity of 0.2, that is, quantity demanded declines by only 2 percent when price rises by 10%.

Such a market is incredibly unbalanced, and effectively nonfunctional. If your prices aren't determined by supply and demand then you are working with a fundamentally unstable market. If this were the only problem we might be able to say a market could still work, but I've still got three I's, one L and a D.

In the first place I don't know why you reduce the entire healthcare economy into transactions that involve life threatening ailments. Yes if you need insulin or else you die, your bargaining power is reduced in relation to those that are providing it. But most healthcare services offered are not like that. If a general doctor charges so more for a routine physical, you can be sure that people will see their doctor less frequently. If a doctor charges less for routine check ups then people are more likely to see them more frequently just in case.

The same is true of virtually every elective procedure. Lasik eye surgery is one example. It is an entirely elective surgery but it is a fact that since prices have been coming down, far more people have paid the $1000-$2000 it costs to fix their eyesight.

Contrary to what you say, there is plenty of evidence that many aspects of the healthcare economy are NOT inelastic, but rather that demand fluctuates wildly based on cost.

Now regarding the truly life threatening medical problems where people will pay as much as they can possibly afford and borrow to save their life, there is STILL incentive for providers to compete for your business. If I am dying unless I receive a surgery to remove a tumor and I can choose to have it removed by five different, independent and market based hospitals, I will choose only one. Each of these hospitals will want to get my business and I am more likely to get the tumor removed by the hospital that charges less.

Furthermore, the reputation of healthcare providers and the ethics practiced by doctors and surgeons is something that everyone will be watching carefully. If a doctor is determined to be unethical and abusive to a desperate patient through price gouging, then people will know and his future business will suffer. Let me give an example. Let us suppose there are two surgeries offered by a hospital. They both involve removal of a tumor in your chest. Now, one tumor is benign and you can live fine without it being removed. Maybe it causes a bit of discomfort or could develop into some problem down the road. But removal of the tumor is elective. Now the second surgery involves removal of a cancerous tumor in the same spot. The surgery is essentially the same except that in one case the patient will surely die without the surgery and in the other case the patient will be just fine.

Now suppose a hospital charged far more to remove the cancerous tumor than the benign tumor simply based on the desperation of the patient? This would not only be extremely unethical but the knowledge of such a thing would cause outrage and the reputation of such a hospital to suffer greatly. This would incentivize an entrepreneur to start a competing hospital that charged the same price for elective procedures vs life saving procedures, in other words they didn't artificially take advantage of desperate people but charged the price that they needed to given the difficulty of the procedure and the time it took.

This doesn't even take into account the existence of charity hospitals and mutual aid societies that will provide care for people who cannot afford healthcare they need for whatever reason. The existence of charity hospitals also would incentivize hospitals against charging too much for life saving medical procedures since if they could lose potential clients to a charity hospital.

Yes, under some circumstances, a person will pay as much money as they can possibly get a hold of if they are going to die without a certain treatment. But that doesn't mean that the market can't or won't work. There are still many reasons why prices will go down through competition.

Caros posted:

Insurance - Given the choice humans will prefer a certain future to an uncertain one. Because of the uncertainty of health care costs, people are willing to invest money to gain some certainty and in doing so they buy insurance. Now I'm sure I don't have to tell you the problem with insurance companies, with the perverse incentive structure that exists when you run a business predicated on trying to take in as much as possible, and pay out as little as possible.

Moreover, the problem with non-universal insurance is that there is a disconnect between people who need insurance, and people the companies want to insure. If you are sick, I don't want to insure you, I want to insure steve the youngun with a perfect health record. This disconnect drives up costs, and is the primary factor behind such wonderful concepts as 'pre-existing conditions'.

Simply speaking, in a free market people who need insurance are typically the ones who cannot get it.

In a free market, health insurance would play a very small role in healthcare. Insurance would be for catastrophic accidents, unexpected healthcare problems and things like that. Like car insurance only comes into play when you get into an accident but you just pay out of pocket for oil changes and other normal maintenance issues you have with your car. If the engine dies you buy a new one. You replace the battery, the tires, the brakes and everything else out of your pocket. Insurance pays for damage when you are hit by another driver, or you miss a red light and crash into another vehicle. Unexpected, unplanned for events.

Don't you notice how the complaints we all have against health insurance companies are not equally applicable to car insurance providers or insurance against fires? The reason is that State intervention has distorted the very purpose of insurance and given us a third party payer system where inflated costs of healthcare cause us to rely too heavily on insurance and so we have far less control over which healthcare services we have access to.

Caros posted:

Imbalanced information - While it is true that a market does not NEED to have perfectly balanced information on both sides of the equation, a market that is heavily unbalanced in favor of one side or the other is typical inefficient, which only adds onto the trouble that we've discussed thus far.

Your doctor has at least twelve years of medical training, and you effectively have to trust her at her word when you are told that you need 'x test' and 'y treatment' because you are not even remotely qualified to diagnose or treat yourself, despite what WebMD might suggest. In addition there is that perverse incentive structure once again, in that the doctor has every reason to perform or suggest unnecessary procedure, since everything they charge you is money in their pocket. A knife in the back is a wonderful article that discusses this exact problem.

I don't see this as a valid criticism of the market. There are similar situations of unbalanced information elsewhere and the market works just fine. When you take your car to the shop to get it looked at, the mechanic could charge you for all sorts of unnecessary things and/or get you to pay for unnecessary tires or services that you don't really need simply because the mechanic knows everything about cars and you don't.

It is very possible for a patient to understand enough to avoid being taken advantage of by a health insurance provider. There is a reason why we seek second opinions from different doctors. There is a reason why we can view the reputation of doctors online. If you get a good doctor that you feel you can trust, then you will presumably feel confident in going off of the information they suggest.

I've gone to plenty of doctors who have recommended all sorts of expensive tests, drugs and different treatments but I refused because I informed myself enough to understand that it is not worth the money.

I find it so odd that you would bring up the issue of excessive testing and over treating (which IS a real problem) in the context of a market economy. The very thing that would prevent over testing and over treating would be having patients actually pay for the tests administered. The thing that is causing the over-testing and treating is that a third party is paying the bills and the patient has no incentive to question any treatment that is being offered. When the State is paying the bills, then the doctors and hospitals have every incentive to get every cent they can because the State is not an informed consumer and they will pay no matter how much you charge. Therefore they charge too much for tests and run too many tests and administer too many treatments. This is grossly inefficient but it is par for the course for central planning.

Caros posted:

Dicounting - You might know this as time preference. The gist is that people tend to maximize what makes them happy now as opposed to what might do so in the future. This is especially troublesome because there is a, say it with me now, perverse incentive to doctors once again. In a non-universal healthcare system, my doctor makes more money from repeat visits. He has no financial incentive to try and work towards preventative care with me, because if he prevents my illness then he has one less patient

Inability to pay - While I'll get into the inability to pay moral argument later, it is worth mentioning that the inability to afford treatment is in and of itself a serious flaw in market based healthcare systems. People who are poor are typically the ones who will be least likely to pay for their medical care, while at the same time being most likely to need medical care. This leads to two separate problems. The first is that they make healthcare cost more for everyone else, as the hospitals increase their prices to make up for giving emergency treatment to those who cannot afford it (assuming they would do this in a libertarian society, which they would not). Moreover, their inability to pay for medical care creates a hazard for society. Simply speaking, if a poor person could afford treatment, they'd be less likely to be contagious to others.

Lack of Choice - Perhaps the second most damning of all the problems I've listed is the lack of choice in healthcare. The most obvious example of this is emergency care. If you get hit by a bus, the ambulance is going to take you to the nearest hospital, regardless of whether it is the best, or whether your insurance covers it or any other factor. Choice is probably the biggest thing required for a market to function, as 'voluntary' exchanges are the basis of your entire system.

Yet the most expensive and important medical care is often made completely without any option or say in the matter by the person involved. Even when the person is concious, they are frequently making these choices under duress. A prime example is one of the many people who die every year from something as simple as a tooth infection. A Cincinnati resident died in 2003 because of a tooth abscess after going to the hospital. He was given two prescriptions, but only had the money to afford one, and wrongly chose pain relief over the antibiotics that would have saved his life.

But it is such an event which is precisely the purpose of health insurance in a market economy. The situation of being hit by a bus, going to the emergency room and not having the luxury of shopping around for needed medical care is entirely the reason for people to buy health insurance.

You could make the exact argument about many different things. Suppose I am a fireman who waits until someones house is on fire and I go up to them and say "I'll put out the fire for $10,000". You might have no choice but to pay. But if he had fire insurance, he wouldn't have been put in such a situation in the first place. Or if he lived in a neighborhood where the community financed a fire fighter service in such an event, he would have nothing to worry about.

But if you say that a person might choose NOT to buy market health insurance, or not to make any plans for the event of an emergency and they desperately need help when something they should have planned for happens and then someone price gouges them, that hardly disproves the value of a market economy.

How many people do you know who cannot afford ANY car insurance whatsoever? I know you have to have car insurance to drive, but isn't it true that the market provides car insurance at affordable prices to nearly everyone? And why is it so affordable? It is affordable because the insurance companies only need to pay in the event of an accident, therefore their premiums can be low.

In a market economy health insurance would be very similar to car insurance. It would ONLY come into play in the event of you needing to go to the emergency room, or having a life threatening ailment. That would mean that the rates would be VERY low and within reach of most everyone, as is the case with car insurance today. People who just didn't get health insurance would be doing so by choice and not because they couldn't afford it.

In a free society, mutual aid societies would be commonplace where poorer people would collectively pay doctors or healthcare providers in the event that if any member got sick they would be provided with treatment. Similarly, communities would see the need and value in emergency services and they would pay a fee voluntarily so that if something were to happen to you, an ambulance would show up and bring a sick person to the hospital.

Furthermore, without the medical industrial complex wielding the power of the State, more charity hospitals would exist to treat the poorest among us.

There are many ways the market can, and has in the past, dealt with this "lack of choice" that people have when dealing with a life threatening emergency. Insurance, in fact, IS a market mechanism with which to deal with emergencies.

So don't continue this line of argument that because a person having a heart attack can't just go "shopping" and compare different hospitals and healthcare providers before treatment is administered, that somehow invalidates the free market. Like I said, the market has and would provide for such a potentiality through insurance, mutual aid, and voluntarily funded emergency services.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

III - That Healthcare costs are inflated well beyond what they should otherwise be.

Libertarians love this talking point, despite it being factually untrue.

Now I'm going to be a little brief on this one since you didn't do much other than just flatly assert it to be true, but I know most of the talking points on the issue, so let me lay out a few of the common ones. If I miss any feel free to bring up substantive points and I'll tell you why those are wrong too:

1. The AMA limits doctors and thus costs are too high!
2. The Government interferes and thus costs are too high!
3. Healthcare was cheap in the 1960's! Doctors made housecalls! People could stay in the hospitals for almost nothing!

So lets go down the list. First off the AMA thing is garbage based entirely on looking at the salaries of doctors in the US vs anywhere else in the world. While the costs for US doctors are slightly higher, this is in large part due to the abundance of specialist doctors in the US. Comparing Primary physicians across the world finds that US primaries are actually lower paid than ones in France, Germany and elsewhere. While the AMA does arbitrarily limit the number of doctors in the US in an attempt to increase their overall pay, that difference in pay is a drop in the bucket compared to total US healthcare spending.

For comparison, US doctor salaries account for 1/5 of all US healthcare costs. In Canada they account for 15%, or roughly 1/6. Considering the US pays literally twice what Canada does in healthcare costs, this does not make the difference.

What about government interference? It is certainly true that the US government spends as much on public care via Medicare and Medicaid as the private sector does to cover everyone else. But think about why this is. You might be tempted to point and scream 'inefficient' but the US government covers 119.24 million people with medicare and medicaid, and it is crucial to remember that the people being covered by those two systems are the poor, the disabled and the elderly. In short, Medicare and Medicaid cover a little over 1/3rd of the US population for the same cost as it takes the private market to cover 170 million, and the 1/3rd that they cover are the most at risk individuals in the nation.

You might also complain about interstate healthcare sales and so forth, or barriers to entry, but the cost savings there are minimal and I can't even begin to debunk every single tiny thing. If I missed something please bring it up.

Finally we come to the 'healthcare was cheap' part of it. The big problem with this argument is that it is based primarily on a healthcare system that holds almost no relation to modern healthcare.

In the early 1960's healthcare was much less costly than it is today; and there was much less that doctors or hospitals could do for patients. I like to quote Henry Aaron, a healthcare specilist at the Brookings Institution:

"...health care was much less costly than it is today; and there was much less that doctors or hospitals could do for patients. It didn’t cost much for a hospital to let a heart attack victim lie in a bed or for a physician to stop by and prescribe nitroglycerin for someone with angina. It is rather different when pain in the chest calls for angiography and possibly for angioplasty and costly maintenance drugs. It is the rare physician today who can afford to give a full work-up to a person who presents with persistent chest pains, which calls for thousands of dollars worth of tests."

Moreover, access to care in the 1960's was not nearly as available as JRodefeld or libertarians would like to suggest, which I'll point out with some statistics:

I can go on, but I won't.

These two statements are contradictory. You concede that healthcare costs have gone up massively over the last several decades but somehow you discount that State intervention and money printing had anything to do with it.

Isn't price competition one of the main factors that drives down costs in a market economy? So how on earth can you say that State intervention and a third party payment system where both doctors and patients don't know the cost of the treatment that is being provided doesn't artificially raise costs?

When the State pays medical costs, the providers of medical technology, drugs and surgeries have every incentive to charge as much as possible. Do you honestly think that an MRI would cost $6000 if people had to pay out of pocket? No chance.

You know your argument could be made against computers and technology. By your logic, all computers should be VASTLY more expensive than they were twenty or thirty years ago given how much more powerful and capable they are today. Yet the opposite has occurred.

Why should the fact that hospitals and doctors have better technology available to them today make them have to charge vastly more than forty years ago? Especially when the exact opposite has occurred in the far more free market of technology and consumer electronics? Better technology should be able to lower costs and make things more efficient.

But we can compare apples to apples. A week long hospital stay in 1960 would be affordable for most families. If you don't have insurance a hospital stay that long could run over the $10,000 mark. And I'm not speaking about any surgery or medical prodecures. I am just talking about the cost to keep you in a hospital bed, hooked up to an IV drip for monitoring purposes.

Or you can look at the situation where medical lobbying manufacturers get away with charges $300 for a hospital toothbrush. They are just taking advantage of the State money that they can get their hands on.

When the State starts subsidizing a certain sector of the economy, it distorts prices immediately. When the central bank expands the money supply and injects it into the economy, rising prices are not uniform everywhere. They rise much faster in the areas where that new money is spent first AND where price competition is not able to counteract the effects of inflation. It goes without saying that price competition doesn't exist for the things that the State purchases. If the State is directly involved in funding say 40% of the healthcare market, what incentive would a healthcare company have to provide a low cost to you, the consumer who would prefer to purchase healthcare out of pocket when they can charge these ridiculous prices to the government?

Sure, they'll sell you a product or service. You CAN pay for an MRI or X-Rays out of pocket, but they sure won't offer you any discount. They'll charge you the same inflated price they charge the government.

Remember that the more businesses focus on lobbying the State, which is inevitable when the government gets heavily involved in the economy, the less businesses focus or need to try and "lobby" for the patronage of consumers.

Caros posted:

IV - That a Libertarian healthcare system would be more available or moral than a Socialist one.

As I've pointed out above, there are quite a few problems that I believe make an equitable or inexpensive market based healthcare solution impossible. Beyond all of that however there is the simple moral argument.

Many, many times I have bandied about the figure 64,000 deaths. That is the number of annual fatalities in the USA due to the lack of availability to medical care, it is the number of people who simply cannot afford to gain access to medical care, and who die from preventable illness, such as dental abscesses.

In my opinion there is no moral argument to be had for a market healthcare system. While it is entirely true that a system such as Canada's has waiting lists, it is equally true that US has waiting lists of its own. In both instances the lists result from the fact that we are living in a society of scarce resources. The difference is that in the Canadian system, access to care is based on decisions made by doctors and professionals based on need. A heart patient gets treatment before a knee surgery and so forth. In the US the waiting system is based entirely on ability to pay, and for many, many americans it approaches infinity.

The moral argument is that it is wrong to use violence to fund your idea of social welfare. Even putting aside who has the better argument between the two of us, the fact remains that I think that State central planning of medical care is immoral and I don't want any part of such a scheme. If YOU want to develop any sort of social experiment in voluntary socialism or finance any sort of healthcare delivery scheme you can dream up, I support your decision one hundred percent. I would never dream of using force to stop you from implementing it. However, you should NOT have the right to use violence against me to expropriate me and finance a healthcare system that I find entirely immoral.

You are seriously downplaying the inefficiencies inherent in national healthcare schemes in comparison to any market or quasi market based healthcare systems. Who determines that a healthcare ailment is "life threatening" and deserves prompt treatment instead of making a person wait months for treatment? What about an elderly person who needs life saving surgery? Is it worth it for the central planners to expend resources on treating an elderly person who might only live five or ten more years anyway? These decisions are always arbitrary.

You cannot pretend that people don't die on waiting lists or suffer healthcare problems due to the inability to access quality private healthcare providers in a nationalized healthcare system.

If the issue is the cost barrier, then you should focus on steps to reduce healthcare costs, rather than seeking to overhaul the entire healthcare system, which will affect everyone who will end up being caught up in a State managed bureaucracy whether they want to or not. As I have explained, introducing price competition into the healthcare market would reduce costs as it does for every other part of the economy.

Caros posted:

JRodefeld will make arguments that the US healthcare system is not a true free market healthcare system, but the onus is on him to tell us what will be different about it, how the costs will be reduced and access will be increased. I have read the same thinkers he has on the matter, and I have personally found their arguments very wanting in favor of real, hard evidence on the matter.

The libertarian idea of a free market in medical care would be dramatically different than what we have today.

For a short example of what sorts of drastic reforms we would propose, see this short article by Hans Hoppe:

quote:

A Four Step Healthcare Solution

It's true that the US health-care system is a mess, but this demonstrates not market but government failure. To cure the problem requires not different or more government regulations and bureaucracies, as self-serving politicians want us to believe, but the elimination of all existing government controls.

It's time to get serious about health-care reform. Tax credits, vouchers, and privatization will go a long way toward decentralizing the system and removing unnecessary burdens from business. But four additional steps must also be taken:

Eliminate all licensing requirements for medical schools, hospitals, pharmacies, and medical doctors and other health-care personnel. Their supply would almost instantly increase, prices would fall, and a greater variety of health-care services would appear on the market.

Competing voluntary accreditation agencies would take the place of compulsory government licensing — if health-care providers believe that such accreditation would enhance their own reputation, and that their consumers care about reputation, and are willing to pay for it.

Because consumers would no longer be duped into believing that there is such a thing as a "national standard" of health care, they would increase their search costs and make more discriminating health-care choices.

Eliminate all government restrictions on the production and sale of pharmaceutical products and medical devices. This means no more Food and Drug Administration, which presently hinders innovation and increases costs.

Costs and prices would fall, and a wider variety of better products would reach the market sooner. The market would force consumers to act in accordance with their own — rather than the government's — risk assessment. And competing drug and device manufacturers and sellers, to safeguard against product liability suits as much as to attract customers, would provide increasingly better product descriptions and guarantees.

Deregulate the health-insurance industry. Private enterprise can offer insurance against events over whose outcome the insured possesses no control. One cannot insure oneself against suicide or bankruptcy, for example, because it is in one's own hands to bring these events about.

Because a person's health, or lack of it, lies increasingly within his own control, many, if not most health risks, are actually uninsurable. "Insurance" against risks whose likelihood an individual can systematically influence falls within that person's own responsibility.

All insurance, moreover, involves the pooling of individual risks. It implies that insurers pay more to some and less to others. But no one knows in advance, and with certainty, who the "winners" and "losers" will be. "Winners" and "losers" are distributed randomly, and the resulting income redistribution is unsystematic. If "winners" or "losers" could be systematically predicted, "losers" would not want to pool their risk with "winners," but with other "losers," because this would lower their insurance costs. I would not want to pool my personal accident risks with those of professional football players, for instance, but exclusively with those of people in circumstances similar to my own, at lower costs.

Because of legal restrictions on the health insurers' right of refusal — to exclude any individual risk as uninsurable — the present health-insurance system is only partly concerned with insurance. The industry cannot discriminate freely among different groups' risks.

As a result, health insurers cover a multitude of uninsurable risks, alongside, and pooled with, genuine insurance risks. They do not discriminate among various groups of people which pose significantly different insurance risks. The industry thus runs a system of income redistribution — benefiting irresponsible actors and high-risk groups at the expense of responsible individuals and low-risk groups. Accordingly, the industry's prices are high and ballooning.

To deregulate the industry means to restore it to unrestricted freedom of contract: to allow a health insurer to offer any contract whatsoever, to include or exclude any risk, and to discriminate among any groups of individuals. Uninsurable risks would lose coverage, the variety of insurance policies for the remaining coverage would increase, and price differentials would reflect genuine insurance risks. On average, prices would drastically fall. And the reform would restore individual responsibility in health care.

Eliminate all subsidies to the sick or unhealthy. Subsidies create more of whatever is being subsidized. Subsidies for the ill and diseased promote carelessness, indigence, and dependency. If we eliminate such subsidies, we would strengthen the will to live healthy lives and to work for a living. In the first instance, that means abolishing Medicare and Medicaid.

Only these four steps, although drastic, will restore a fully free market in medical provision. Until they are adopted, the industry will have serious problems, and so will we, its consumers.

All of us have the ability to understand how the market works. We see how the price system works to deliver so many vitally important goods and services to us every day in abundance and at low prices. It is only confusion and propaganda that has persuaded people that healthcare cannot be delivered efficiently through the market. You even concede that healthcare was far cheaper in the 1950s and 60s and more available, but somehow that "doesn't count" because it was a long time ago and our technology is now different (as if that means anything).

I mentioned earlier the Oklahoma Surgery Center which lists their prices for many different surgical procedures and people pay out of pocket. This is an anomaly, a free market provider amid an anti free market, third party payer, price signal distorting healthcare system. The prices charged are frequently one tenth of what insurance companies charge doctors for similar procedures.

Caros posted:

V - That I was somehow 'not a true libertarian' when I converted away from the doctrine.

Now let me start by saying that it is very insulting that you keep insinuating that I am a liar. While you say outright that you don't think I am, the insinuation is that I am either a liar, or that I was simply delusional about my beliefs up to that point. As I have pointed out to you multiple times, you are not the arbiter of what is a 'true' libertarian, and more to the point, you greatly underestimate the effect a personal tragedy can have on a persons viewpoint.

Okay, I take back the insinuation. I absolutely DON'T underestimate the effect a personal tragedy can have on a persons viewpoint. Not at all. It sounds like a horrible thing to go through. I do fear that when a personal tragedy occurs it can be so affecting that it distorts your critical thinking and you are unable to look at the issue in a logical way, which is understandable.

Maybe your friend would have been treated and cured if he lived in Canada. It is all speculative. That would have been great for him and great for you. But that personal anecdote doesn't prove the validity of nationalized healthcare.

There are many alternate scenarios we could contemplate where your friend could have been treated and made it. I could suggest that, had price competition not been distorted and suppressed through State central planning and a third party payer, your friend could have afforded the treatment necessary and he would have survived because of the market.

I was just confused as to why you chose to blame libertarianism for your friends death. That doesn't seam coherent to me.

Caros posted:

For the record, I did not decide to simply quit being a libertarian cold turkey. I did not wake up one day, hear the bad news and go 'whelp, now I'm a socialist'. Instead it came as a series of slow realizations about how utterly wrong my belief system had been up to that point.

You keep arguing that the US is not a Free Market healthcare system, that 'something something government intervention' is the reason that they pay twice as much and have tens of thousands of preventable deaths annually. Frankly speaking I think that argument falls apart when brought to light. For one thing I'd like you to answer this if you answer nothing else:

Why is the US system worse than every UHC system in the world?

I ask this because you have made the argument numerous times that the government cannot do anything right. If this is the case, then why is a system that is a mixture of socialism and capitalism so much worse than systems that are purely socialism. For all its faults the US healthcare system is still primarily free market, half of all transactions, and most doctors, hospitals etc are privately run. At what level of government intervention does a free market healthcare system collapse under the weight of government intervention? What if government intervention was only 10%, or 20%? Would it be a paragon of virtue then?

The argument is not that the government cannot do anything "right". The State is, by nature, inefficient and bureaucratic and it is unable to economically plan without the price signal in the market. But all of these are side issues. The real objection to the State is, as I've said a thousand times, that the initiation of force is immoral. It violates the principle of universability of ethics. Depending on your definition of "good", government funding on occasion produces things of value. No one is denying that.

We don't oppose the scientific research that is done on Universities that are publicly funded. We don't oppose roads and bridges and airports. The results of government spending can be useful in their own right. The problem is that the money to fund such projects was confiscated through violence.

If I stole $100,000 from you and developed a cure for cancer with it, the result that was achieved would have been fantastic and incredible. But the means used to achieve it would have been criminal and reprehensible.

It is the means of State action that we oppose, not necessarily the results attained.

I'm not sure what metric you are using to determine that the US healthcare system is universally "worse" than every UHC system in the world. I would suggest that you are judging them ONLY based on access to healthcare for those that currently are priced out of the market in the United States, which means that you are stacking the deck from the outset.

I'll ask a counter question. If you have the means to pay, is the quality of healthcare received at the best hospitals in the United States worse than the healthcare offered in nationalized healthcare systems in other countries? Because even the biggest defenders of single payer concede that, for those that can afford it, you can get great healthcare in a quasi market economy.

For you to discount the step backward you would be forcing upon people by subjecting them to waiting lists and bureaucracy who currently are both happy with their health insurance and their private healthcare provider is a big mistake.

Caros posted:

Why is it that the only example of even partially free market healthcare in the world is an enormous clusterfuck? Shouldn't all the socialist systems collapse due to being 100% socialist?

I abandoned libertarianism because I saw first hand the effect of libertarianism. I have never seen a libertarian argument that has convinced me that a free market would lower US healthcare costs to the point where everyone could afford it, or even where most people could afford it. Every argument I've seen has been at best wishful thinking and at worst outright denial of historical facts. By all means try and explain it to me, and I will happily point out your errors, but please bring actual arguments next time so I don't have to just dig up the libertarian top 10.

No you didn't. You didn't see the effects of libertarianism. You saw the effects of someone who was priced out the market due to price fixing and central planning. Had the market been subject to price competition and free entry, then your friend would likely have been able to afford treatment and would have probably survived.

Caros posted:

To be clear, I blame my friends death on free market healthcare. Despite your assertions to the contrary I have never seen any substantive proof that a libertarian healthcare 'solution' would in any way improve conditions in the US system for the many, many reasons I have enumerated above. Since I have no belief that a Libertarian healthcare system would solve the problems that lead to unnecessary deaths I was forced to look elsewhere for a way to correct what I believe to be a very significant problem.

Edit: I've removed some pretty angry words that I directed at you. Suffice to say, it is incredibly insulting to suggest that the change was easy or quick.

Let me again apologize if I seemed glib or condescending about what surely was a very traumatic and affecting episode in your life. I don't mean to come across that way. I don't know the details of your friends death, I don't know what you have read or what it took for you to abandon libertarianism.

And I don't pretend to be an expert in healthcare but let me reiterate that I have seen this system up close and personal given the health problems I have had to deal with for most of my twenties. So I am absolutely NOT some detached observer speaking about a system that doesn't affect me. Quite the opposite actually.

I understand why healthcare is and will continue to be touchy subject for you but I can only say that I believe that you have made some errors by rejecting the market in favor of central planning.

If you are up for it though you could share some more details of why your friend was unable to pay. Did he have insurance of any kind? Did he try to get any charity? What did the proposed treatment entail?

I believe that it is monstrously evil that a young person should have to succumb to a treatable disease or else mortgage their families future through a debt total that would burden them for maybe their entire lives. It is not right and it outrages me as much as it does to you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So if a person has had insurance for all of his life, but the insurance company denies coverage for a life-threatening illness like cancer (as has happened many times), then how would that make you feel, jrod? Is it okay for that person to die if he can't afford to pay out of pocket? Would you even say that it's moral?

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

SedanChair posted:

Well seeing as how we have drastically reduced taxes on the wealthy at the expense of public infrastructure, I think we can pretty safely say that the money would be spent on gigantic yachts, underage sex workers and suites at the Burj al-Arab.

For the most part, wealthy people are decadent and stupid, and if you let them "keep" their money (a misnomer, since they had no right to it in the first place; we enabled them to "earn" it) they spend it on stupid and unproductive things. They need to be taxed heavily, and your playtime ethics don't enter into it or have any value.

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard. So if I give you $100, you don't have the right to keep it? A voluntary transfer of property title is not valid?

If a person is wealthy because people voluntarily exchanged money for goods or services, you are transferring your property title in the money to the business. A business is formed through voluntary contract.

Do you understand how making a generalization like "wealthy people are mostly decadent and stupid" is not categorically different from me saying that "black people are usually lazy and ignorant". Both statements are bigoted against different groups of people. One is a gross collectivism stereotyping people based on the amount of money they happen to have and the other is a gross collectivism stereotyping people based on the color of their skin.

To you, only one of these statements is bigoted. Both are bigoted. If you can't understand that, there may not be much help for you.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

Just to harp on this one more time, I have a question for you JRodefeld:

Do you believe that everyone would receive lifesaving medical care in a libertarian society?

Because for me that is the single biggest thing. Ignore cost savings, all of the various reasons why healthcare as a market is dumb and just talk about saving lives for a moment. Do you honestly believe that in a for profit system that everyone who needs lifesaving care will be able to receive it?

I don't. I think that even in a libertarian system that gives you every benefit of the doubt, there will still be people who cannot afford care and who cannot get charity to cover it. Even ignoring the bankruptcies and the pain caused to families that can't get care, I fully believe that many, many people will die from preventable illness because the free market says they don't deserve to live.

Frankly one is too many.

If you think that any possible system can guarantee that everyone will receive lifesaving medical care who needs it, you are delusional. It is not possible to make such a claim in either a socialist or free market system.

The truth is we will ALL die at some point and for many of us, some level of medical treatment could have prolonged our lives to some degree or another. You can sink an infinite amount of resources into medical care.

In a world of scarce resources, delivery through an economy that can economically calculate based on the price system would indeed allow more healthcare resources to be produced and more efficiently allocated to meet the needs of more people than any nationalized healthcare system.

The Soviet System produced bread lines due to a lack of market delivery of food, while the market permits grocery stores full of food. There are still some hungry people, but far fewer due to the market.

No one wants to see anyone die of a preventable illness. Through the market economy and voluntarism, we should expect that fewer and fewer people die of preventable illnesses over time and more and better technology extends our lives further and further. More and better medical procedures and treatments will become available at lower costs over time.

Given the constraints of reality and the human condition, a free society will permit the best outcomes possible for the most people.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

jrodefeld posted:

When the State pays medical costs, the providers of medical technology, drugs and surgeries have every incentive to charge as much as possible. Do you honestly think that an MRI would cost $6000 if people had to pay out of pocket? No chance.

You do not understand "inelasticity." Let me give you a two-part example:

I like chewing gum, but I don't really NEED to chew gum. If the price of gum went up 500%, I'd probably chew 20% as much gum. Gum is what we'd call "highly elastic"

I absolutely need an MRI so that the doctor can figure out what's wrong with my brain and why I'm having these seizures. If the doctor says "3000 bucks," I'll get one MRI. If the doctor says "6000 bucks," I'm still going to get one MRI. If the doctor said "20 bucks," I would actually STILL only get one MRI. Because I need it—it's "highly inelastic"—and that's a whole different story. The only way I'm going to not get an MRI is if it's so incredibly expensive that I can't afford it.

That last price point, $20, is key, by the way—inelasticity goes both ways. Not only will I still get one MRI no matter what, but I will also not get any more than one no matter the price. That means that there's extremely little incentive for medical providers to reduce their costs. The only incentive to reduce price is if you're losing customers to competitors, but in most parts of the US there are no competitors, or one or two at most. If that sounds similar to Comcast and Time Warner's price gouging and unwillingness to enter the 21st century, that's because it is. There's very little competition in medicine for many reasons, but a large part of it is similar to ISPs: a huge amount of infrastructure is required, especially if you consider the training and expertise of the hospital's employees ("human resources" after all) as infrastructure. So, just like no plucky ISPs are popping up providing better services than Comcast, it's extremely unlikely that a competitor is going to pop up offering comparable services at competitive costs.

So, the capitalist hospital, like all other capitalist enterprises, has one goal when it comes to pricing: find the equilibrium point between supply and demand. Well, demand is almost infinite--it only starts to taper away when it becomes impossible for patients to afford. Doesn't it make logical sense that an enterprise in the business of maximizing its profits would do so by fixing the highest price that people are willing to pay? And if not, why not? There's little to no competition, the demand is inelastic. What is going to drive down the price of essential care?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jrodefeld posted:

When you ask "how could x possibly be provided without the State?", I ask "how would YOU go about providing x to society? What would you do without the State to solve social problems, to help the poor, to protect the environment, to ensure that the food we buy is safe and that consumers have the information they need to make informed decisions about who they do business with?"

I will of course let the more knowledgeable Caros respond to the rest of the post and the subsequent one, but I wanted to chime in on this one, seemingly innocuous line because I think it shows a great deal about your philosophy, your character, and your ability to make your own arguments. First and foremost is that this is an incredibly dishonest question and would get you laughed out of a formal debate setting, or any debate at all really. Let me make one thing abundantly clear to you, jrodefeld, we are not here to make your arguments for you. That is your job, not ours. And if people refuse to answer this question when you turn it back around on us it's because we see it for the decietful tactic that it really is, not because we are incapable of doing so. If you can't think of an acceptable answer in your own words then you need to own up to that fact and say so, not try and misdirect the issue or plagiarizing other people's arguments wholesale by linking to outside articles.

Now I want to be perfectly clear that citing outside sources is not in and of itself deceitful or intellectually dishonest when done sparingly or at the end of your own arguments as optional (that's a super important qualifier, don't forget it) suplimental reading. But the problem is is that isn't how you use these papers in that manner, instead you use them in lieu of making your own arguments at all. And that is dishonest. You complain that you are one person fighting against a horde of Statist barbarians and it is thus unfair, but we are at the very least temporally bound to the present while you are some sort of gestalt frankenstein made of the Ghosts of Austrians Past. You pick and choose other writers to argue for you and when a particular author's arguments fail or fall upon deaf ears you shuck them from your form as a snake sheds a skin. How are we supposed to debate against you when there is no real you that has been presented to us to debate with?

I will say that these most recent posts to Caros were much better than anything else I've seen from you because save for one instance it was actually you making the arguments. This made it more interesting to read. Your arguments weren't actually any better, you still rely too heavily on the informal fallacy of Proof by Assertion, but they were at least your own errors.

-EDIT-

jrodefeld posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard. So if I give you $100, you don't have the right to keep it? A voluntary transfer of property title is not valid?

If a person is wealthy because people voluntarily exchanged money for goods or services, you are transferring your property title in the money to the business. A business is formed through voluntary contract.

Do you understand how making a generalization like "wealthy people are mostly decadent and stupid" is not categorically different from me saying that "black people are usually lazy and ignorant". Both statements are bigoted against different groups of people. One is a gross collectivism stereotyping people based on the amount of money they happen to have and the other is a gross collectivism stereotyping people based on the color of their skin.

To you, only one of these statements is bigoted. Both are bigoted. If you can't understand that, there may not be much help for you.

:doh:

Ok, I take back what I said about you getting better. For gently caress's sake if you can't tell the difference between something immutable like ethnicity and something mutable like your current bank account balance then it's you who can't be helped. I mean seriously? You think saying that rich people are stupid is the exact same thing as saying black people are lazy and ignorant? Are you loving retarded?! What, do you think calling Mitt Romney "Richy Rich" is just bad as calling someone the "N-Word"? No, really, what the gently caress kind of privileged world do you live in to have your head this far up your own goddamn rear end? Go gently caress yourself.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 9, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

jrodefeld posted:

You're failing to understand where the first sentiment comes from. As far as I'm concerned, hoarding opulent wealth as you live in a society (and a world) where people are dying of starvation, preventable illnesses, and treatable illnesses is a sign of mental pathology. Therefore, opulent people are detestably immoral. It's quite different from racism, which can't make connections between skin color and a pathological mind.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

jrodefeld posted:

Wealth is a choice. Skin color is not a choice.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

jrodefeld posted:

The Soviet System produced bread lines due to a lack of market delivery of food, while the market permits grocery stores full of food. There are still some hungry people, but far fewer due to the market.

This is the opposite of reality, you doofus. Russian food intake dropped dramatically following the Big Splat and introduction of a market economy, and even by the turn of the millennium they still lagged behind what they'd been at the formal disillusion of the USSR in 1992. Part of why things were even starting to get back to the baseline they'd been at was, in addition, because of several substantial foreign aid packages from Western governments, not natural market improvements.

Shocking, I know, to hear Jrod has once again shot his mouth off about things he doesn't understand.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 9, 2014

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

jrodefeld posted:

No need to do that so long as people understand the exhausting nature of debating one against twenty or more and the fact that if I don't respond to every critique that is made against me that does not mean that I don't have an answer.
The issue isn't that you don't respond to every critique, it's that from where we're sitting you routinely gloss over the critiques that seem substantial if not outright fatal to your philosophy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is the opposite of reality, you doofus. Russian food intake dropped dramatically following the Big Splat and introduction of a market economy, and even by the turn of the millennium they still lagged behind what they'd been at the formal disillusion of the USSR in 1992. Part of why things were even starting to get back to the baseline they'd been at was, in addition, because of several substantial foreign aid packages from Western governments, not natural market improvements.

Shocking, I know, to hear Jrod has once again shot his mouth off about things he doesn't understand.

Well he also seems to be under the opinion that technology improving has no effect whatsoever and that government paying for something is the reason why medical bills or so high.

Even though medicare (a fully government controlled medical practice) actually pays much, much lower prices than it's free market competitors.

Because the government can legislate what they have to pay, instead of it being left up to the whims of the free market you see.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

If you think that any possible system can guarantee that everyone will receive lifesaving medical care who needs it, you are delusional. It is not possible to make such a claim in either a socialist or free market system.

The truth is we will ALL die at some point and for many of us, some level of medical treatment could have prolonged our lives to some degree or another. You can sink an infinite amount of resources into medical care.

In a world of scarce resources, delivery through an economy that can economically calculate based on the price system would indeed allow more healthcare resources to be produced and more efficiently allocated to meet the needs of more people than any nationalized healthcare system.

Given the constraints of reality and the human condition, a free society will permit the best outcomes possible for the most people.

How do you define "best"? We already know that UHC in Canada and the UK produce better outcomes for more people than the capitalist healthcare system that we have in the US. Given this, what metric are you using to claim that the US free market solution is superior?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

QuarkJets posted:

How do you define "best"? We already know that UHC in Canada and the UK produce better outcomes for more people than the capitalist healthcare system that we have in the US. Given this, what metric are you using to claim that the US free market solution is superior?

By pure tautology. Markets are the best way to produce and allocate resources [citation needed], therefore markets would be the best way to produce and allocate healthcare "resources" [citation needed].

Conveniently, this disposition can't be disproven by the empirical evaluation of the US' healthcare outcomes, which lag somewhere behind Cuba's.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

No one wants to see anyone die of a preventable illness. Through the market economy and voluntarism, we should expect that fewer and fewer people die of preventable illnesses over time and more and better technology extends our lives further and further. More and better medical procedures and treatments will become available at lower costs over time.

Okay, I'm going to be working up a big response to your big response in short order, but before I do that, I wanted to address this post specifically.

To begin with, lets be clear, at best you are ignorant of my point, and at worst you're attempting to misrepresent it by reductio ad absurdum. When I say "Everyone who needs lifesaving care" it is pretty clear what I mean, especially in light of the fact that we've probably dropped close to 10,000 words on the discussion of the subject.

Sixty Four thousand people die in the US annually from an inability to receive lifesaving care. That is to say, that those Sixty Four Thousand people die annually because they cannot receive ANY care. My question was not "Well will granny be able to extend her life by an extra few days", it is "Will people die of easily preventable loving tooth abscesses?"

The fact of the matter is that in the Canadian medical system, we do not have sixty-four thousand people die annually from inability to recieve care. Our population is 1/10th of yours, but we don't have 6,400 or 640 either, or hell even 64. I would be willing to bet that you could not find six cases annually of Canadians dying because they have limited or no access to healthcare. Frankly I'd be willing to bet you cannot find six cases over the last decade, because it doesn't loving happen.

So let me ask my question once again, this time even more plainly so I get a straight response:

Do you deny the very real possibility that a pay-per-use market based healthcare system will lead to the premature (and often youthful) deaths of individuals who lack the ability to pay for service?

P.S. I call Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc on your Soviet breadline bullshit. Anyone with a basic understanding of history knows that things like famine had less to do with economic calculation/socialism and more do with the whole "Ravaged by generations of war and currently undergoing a massive industrialization." thing. Comparing Soviet Russia to the USA is an apples and oranges comparison because the two started out at very different places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Heavy neutrino posted:

You're failing to understand where the first sentiment comes from. As far as I'm concerned, hoarding opulent wealth as you live in a society (and a world) where people are dying of starvation, preventable illnesses, and treatable illnesses is a sign of mental pathology. Therefore, opulent people are detestably immoral. It's quite different from racism, which can't make connections between skin color and a pathological mind.

You didn't say anything about "hording wealth", being greedy or uncaring or uncharitable. You said that "wealthy people are mostly decadent and stupid" which is a ridiculous statement. And, as others have noted, your classification of what wealth is, who is wealthy and what amounts to "hording" are arbitrary. To a starving African, YOU are unbelievably wealthy. Every time you splurge on some luxury instead of donating money to feed the poor could be seen by someone poorer than you as an indication of a pathological mind, of someone who is greedy and uncaring.

While your statement is not exactly the same as racism, it comes from the same collectivist thought process where some superficial characteristic is used to stereotype an entire group of individuals. It should go without saying that there are MANY wealthy people who are incredibly generous and kind and it is precisely because of their personal success that they are able to help others through charity and various philanthropic efforts.