Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It won't even start at all anymore. :eng99: It sits there in my task manager slowly eating up memory, but no game.

E: Oh wait there it is, just took literally 25 minutes to start. What the poo poo. I really hope the sim the Cities in Motion guys are making pans out. I love SimCity 4 but it is a programming mess, a functioning replacement would be wonderful.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How big is your mod folder? That's usually the big one to slow down SC4 load times.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's large but two days ago the game loaded in three minutes so there's something else going on. Didn't crash all day though.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It sometimes takes me a couple minutes to load the game using Solid state drive even. I'm not surprised by long load times.

Add any mods in particular, or breach a threshold size, change folder structure, or anything of the sort? Start a new region?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

You could try datpacking all your mods. That's supposed to speed up load times, right?

Although, if it was working a couple of days ago, was it really just your graphics drivers that changed?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I have sometimes had it take twenty minutes and upwards to start, but it takes the usual two or three next time or after I kill the process and try again.

This game runs on software so arcane the Adeptus Mechanicus would brand it the work of Chaos. There is no reason whatever to expect identical conditions to yield identical results.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The wonky load times are the biggest reason I never really seem to stay involved with SC4K. I really want to boot up 3000 to revel in the simplicity, but it doesn't seem to get along with 64-bit windows 7. Compatibility mode seems useless. Anyone have this problem and figure out a solution?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I got the itch to play again and installed the steam version of deluxe. I did the newest NAM and the cpu settings along with XP SP3 combat mode and no dice on Windows 8.1. Software or hardware makes no difference. It will just crash to desktop when I try to place a road. *sigh*

I really wish they would do a remaster that will actually run on modern systems.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

mayodreams posted:

I really wish they would do a remaster that will actually run on modern systems.

Or an actual sequel :v:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

mayodreams posted:

I got the itch to play again and installed the steam version of deluxe. I did the newest NAM and the cpu settings along with XP SP3 combat mode and no dice on Windows 8.1. Software or hardware makes no difference. It will just crash to desktop when I try to place a road. *sigh*

This is exactly what happens to me on my Win 7 machine.

Cities Skylines can't get here quick enough.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Ok, so I confirmed this is due to using the Fhuzo region. While annoying, at least it doesn't crash to desktop anymore.

For giggles, I booted my Hackintosh drive and installed SC4 Deluxe on 10.9.2 and it runs great. Since they had to minimally update it from PPC to Intel code, it will actually use 2 CPU threads without crashing, and natively supports things like 1080p and hardware acceleration.

So I guess the answer to stability issues on Windows 7+ is to install Mac OS X. :v:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Are you running the Terrain mod to go with Fhuzo? If you aren't it will cause a CTD.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Tai posted:

Are you running the Terrain mod to go with Fhuzo? If you aren't it will cause a CTD.

I had the terrain mod installed and was using Fhuzo and it was crashing.

I never even thought to try a different region. So dumb. Thanks mayodreams, maybe I can still play some sweet simcitys.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tai posted:

This fixed it for me. Thanks!

I ended up grabbing the old fashioned mod pack and that had the terrain mod in it.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I only ever get CTD'd if I'm playing a gridcity with insane traffic routes to figure, and I try to inspect the traffic flow through any given tile.
I think that I've adjusted my city planning to make neighborhoods with only a few exits towards work zones and that seems to have stopped the crashes.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I usually only get CTDs while zooming-in/out, and usually that's only when it's running at top speed, and especially if I have it in night mode. Size of the city or how gridded it is doesn't seem to make a difference for me. It also seems to crash more often when i'm building light residential (maybe i have a screwed plugin file somewhere), and it sometimes CTDs when I save the game too :argh: . At least the crashing is reduced dramatically when you limit the game to only one core.

The old PC version of this game needs to be optimized so bad.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Crashing when you zoom is a common one for me too. Also when messing with alternative street designs (those with cobblestone or parking lots or whatever.)

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
A new Cities game to meet the expanding waistlines of tomorrow!
https://www.facebook.com/citiesxl/photos/a.443000032579.245539.14668807579/10153050020132580/?type=1&permPage=1
Cities XXL!

Cities were already big in Cities XL, I can't imagine making them bigger is going to improve the gameplay or UI no matter how smoothly it runs.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Bumping for cool pics and new poo poo people have done. Not had much chance to play so feeding my intrigue.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I started updating my LP again, for anybody who rightfully abandoned it and is interested.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Fancy merging it with this?

https://mega.co.nz/#!u1cknZDY!JVND8NDo20iNQ9ZebIpzf6vU1LSCTDB5GBogT0H5rxI

I added my mods to the old fashioned 3.0 and removed all the duplicates so you could combine yours with mine and make a huge super pack. It is pretty big currently at 3.15 GB but it's got some positive reviews off goons recently.

When I say merge, I mean your mod pack you use for LP.

Tai fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 6, 2015

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I started updating my LP again, for anybody who rightfully abandoned it and is interested.

Got a link?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Sc4devotion released a new .dat packer http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3140 Much easier to use and works great with large plugins folders.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Trying it now. I avoided the other datpacker as it said I had to move some files here and other files there so went meh gently caress it.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Right here, brodogsef

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How do I stop the environment rating from making GBS threads itself every time I put industrial zones in? I keep getting demands for industrial zones and I hate it because of that. I've started small but I hate having to deal with the stupid industrial zones.

Edit: I must be playing this wrong because I looked up a WikiHow article and it showed how to use multiple regions, which I never thought of doing because I'm used to SC3K/2K's methods.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 27, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Zeether posted:

How do I stop the environment rating from making GBS threads itself every time I put industrial zones in? I keep getting demands for industrial zones and I hate it because of that. I've started small but I hate having to deal with the stupid industrial zones.

Edit: I must be playing this wrong because I looked up a WikiHow article and it showed how to use multiple regions, which I never thought of doing because I'm used to SC3K/2K's methods.

You can actually skip dirty industry completely if you fancy it. Whack up tax on dirty industry and just farms and High Tech. Just make sure to have decent education and regional transport links for HT to be in demand.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got Hi-Tech just now :whatup:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Zeether posted:

I got Hi-Tech just now :whatup:

That looks like a diner to me!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tai posted:

You can actually skip dirty industry completely if you fancy it. Whack up tax on dirty industry and just farms and High Tech. Just make sure to have decent education and regional transport links for HT to be in demand.

The game becomes incredibly easy if you go this route, you can run at a profit in a single city if you simply rush for I-HT straight away and keep out dirty and manufacturing industry. After that, other cities will start out with a reasonable HT demand which makes the game a walk in the park.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so for the old fashioned mod pack.. do I just toss the folder in there.. or do I need to dump the individual files into the plugins folder?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

The game becomes incredibly easy if you go this route, you can run at a profit in a single city if you simply rush for I-HT straight away and keep out dirty and manufacturing industry. After that, other cities will start out with a reasonable HT demand which makes the game a walk in the park.

I don't actually bother any more trying to work with the initial cash etc. I just drop that 2Billion park and start dropping cool stuff.

tater_salad posted:

so for the old fashioned mod pack.. do I just toss the folder in there.. or do I need to dump the individual files into the plugins folder?

Toss the folder into your plugins folder. Make sure it is the plugins folder in xxx/documents/simcity4/plugins.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not in \bunchasteamstuff\sc4\plugins?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
O yeah, I forgot steam is different.

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\simcity 4 deluxe\Plugins\

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tai posted:

O yeah, I forgot steam is different.

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\simcity 4 deluxe\Plugins\

No it's not. Yes you can put it there but you should still be putting your plugins in your user dir rather than the installation dir.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nielsm posted:

No it's not. Yes you can put it there but you should still be putting your plugins in your user dir rather than the installation dir.

Steam and system are on different HD's though..
Is there an advantage to saving on my c drive?
my C:\ drive is pretty much reserved for serious business and my other HD is reserved for shenanigans.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The main difference I could imagine it making, is affecting the loading order of plugins, but that might not actually be an issue as long as you make sure you keep them in only one of the locations, never mixing.

Just keep in mind that SC4 will put your savegames in your Documents folder anyway. If you want to have them somewhere else, move your Documents folder or make an NTFS junction to put the SC4 saves somewhere else. (And if you do that you may as well also put your plugins there, since they share the same root.)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Saves arent a big deal.. my alternate drive has 5x the space of my system drive adding 3gb of mods is better if its on my steam drive.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anybody used the rice fields? I can't place multiple at the same time like other parks, I have to reclick in the menu every time. I don't know why (the Japanese canals are working the same way) but it's incredibly irritating and time consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I've finally got to a point where a (So far quarter of a) region is actually turning out quite nicely:

(Not pictured: One-tile micro-mega-city my dropbox-synced friend made with a 100% focus on looking nice before his mods broke and left only a rail depot in a ditch)
Also I think I'll stick with a grid of large tiles instead of a weird mix next time, since the spacing of towns/farms/rest stops seems a bit off like this.

I'm not sure what's up with the roads in my transport view? Black is supposed to be highway yet for no apparent reason, certain normal roads and streets in certain towns and cities are showing up as black too?
I'm using Oldfashioned pack (I can't remember if it's 2.0 or 3.0, but it's been installed for about a year) so is it some weird NAM thing maybe?

• Locked thread