Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rodyle posted:

Show, please skip this plot and get to the debut tour of Rudy and the Scrubs.

Psh. Everyone knows it's Isuzu who carrying the band to anything close to stardom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Man, this show is being boring as gently caress this season. Hopefully we'll get some actual progress at some point...

And that scene at the end; somehow I get the feeling we're not gonna see any resolution to that for quite some time.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I guess it might count as a novel spoiler: It's rumored he might be in China, but in reality nobody knows anything because he hasn't showed up in any of the books released so far. There's a chance he might pop up in Book 9, because of the context and focus of its story arc, but no guarantees either.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kyte posted:

I guess it might count as a novel spoiler: It's rumored he might be in China, but in reality nobody knows anything because he hasn't showed up in any of the books released so far. There's a chance he might pop up in Book 9, because of the context and focus of its story arc, but no guarantees either.

Weeeeeeeeelp.

With how the pacing has been this season I am starting to think they should have waited a little longer before making another season, especially considering what's in those spoilers.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

I have been enjoying this season, moving a little slower but it hasnt really bothered me all that much v:shobon:v

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ashtarath posted:

I have been enjoying this season, moving a little slower but it hasnt really bothered me all that much v:shobon:v

Same here, I actually really liked this episode.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Same here, I actually really liked this episode.

Chuck me in as another one who doesn't mind what's been going on. I don't know how to explain it other than it being nice seeing the world itself feel so...alive.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'd rather have the series take the time to develop the character arcs than to compress it and fill the gap with exposition. Akatsuki actually going to other people besides Shiroe for help only becomes important when you have seen her only sneaking around and observing people and never asking to participate in training exercises, etc.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neeksy posted:

I'd rather have the series take the time to develop the character arcs than to compress it and fill the gap with exposition. Akatsuki actually going to other people besides Shiroe for help only becomes important when you have seen her only sneaking around and observing people and never asking to participate in training exercises, etc.

I'd be fine with that, but I found the time with her bodyguard charge to be rather boring. Like, I got that she didn't trust or identify with the adventurers. I don't need to see her sitting around eating cookies for ten minutes.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Drifter posted:

I'd be fine with that, but I found the time with her bodyguard charge to be rather boring. Like, I got that she didn't trust or identify with the adventurers. I don't need to see her sitting around eating cookies for ten minutes.

I agree with this so much. I don't mind the focus on character development, but the development is padded with empty space that serves little purpose other than to reiterate points the show has already made time and time again. And when that's happening during what should be a crazy, high level raid that will determine the financial future of the city they worked so hard to build up, I'm both bored and frustrated.

It's not so bad I'm gonna drop the series or anything, but man, the pacing could definitely use some work.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The problem is that it tried to run both books at the same time. Logical on paper, since they're chronologically simultaneous.
On the other hand, the pacings of each are very different. Akatsuki's story is a slow burn that ramps up when they reach the final confrontation, while Shiroe's story steadily builds up the tension as the stakes get higher.
So then you try to mash the two together and we get this.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
RIP CRUSTY

At least you have finally escaped this DEEN nightmare

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Apart from the general "there's some weird poo poo happening in this world" theme, I don't get what's going on anymore. The whole Akatsuki asking for help thing made no sense to me, though I assume it was meant to convey that she's opening up to people more now. I think I've said this before, but this season feels like night to last season's day. Ignoring animation for which we can blame DEEN, I feel like the overall quality and presentation of the show has completely tanked.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Yep, at this point we're really far from what made season 1 really good and fun to watch.

I'll still watch it but drat it sucks

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Im kinda beginning to think i was tricked by one good part into thinking log horizon was any good

because this arc is boring, the last arc of season 1 was boring, and so was the first arc of season 1. Episodes 6-19 or so is the only good part

coincidentally, these episodes feature the most Rudy? More Rudy please

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Shiroe's raid has been great, the flavor text thing went from "interesting sidenote" to "major plot point" in the blink of an eye, and I'm really interested in the other changes to the world.

I'm hoping Akatsuki redeems herself with a kickass Overskill though, because her plot really is a drag. Looks like it's finally about to pick up though.

At least now it's clear why Santa went off the deep end beyond "MGGH GHRR ADVENTURERS". Back in episode 2 they displayed the flavor text of the weapon he's using now, and it reads: "The favorite sword of Rugrius, the hero of Ezzo who drove the giants to the Jade Garden. This blade freezes everything, and contains the rage of the hero who met his death at the betrayal of the Daughter of Elm, Sutu Inaw."

Chekov's Gun, shots fired.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

ViggyNash posted:

The whole Akatsuki asking for help thing made no sense to me, though I assume it was meant to convey that she's opening up to people more now.

Pretty much. It's that anime trope where the character feels it's the absolute height of impropriety to express an opinion about anything or that it's a criminal offense to inconvenience someone else by asking a favor so they get all weirdly tense and isolated until they have the epiphany that it's OK to act like a normal human being.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I couldn't tell if she kept switching sizes in the afterlife between her "real life" size and video game size. Seemed she was bigger in some scenes and smaller in others despite wardrobe changes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

organism posted:

Pretty much. It's that anime trope where the character feels it's the absolute height of impropriety to express an opinion about anything or that it's a criminal offense to inconvenience someone else by asking a favor so they get all weirdly tense and isolated until they have the epiphany that it's OK to act like a normal human being.

Well, she played single-player in an MMO. That is a special, extra-strength brand of anti-social.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

organism posted:

That's called "low self-esteem", I've been there.

I guess that's why this whole story line has resonated with me. :smith:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's called "low self-esteem", I've been there.

I guess that's why this whole story line has resonated with me. :smith:

I know right, it's like I'm really living an anime trope.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I dunno, I'm the same and I fully understand not being able to ask people for help because of low self-esteem (god knows it's happened to me lots of times), and this arc still feels boring to me. I want to go back to the raid, that was more fun.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's because there's only so much you can do with a character whose sole plot point at this time is to literally just sit in teh dark and do nothing.

Except this show made it a three episode process.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I think Akatsuki is a good example of someone who makes a great supporting character, but a lousy main. I love seeing her show up in scenes hanging from the rafters, or supporting a group action, but she's just too one-note to sustain a prolonged character arc.

You guys who want more Rudy might consider this a cautionary tale...

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Rudy comes as a package deal with the rest of the scrubs and Isuzu in particular, so it works out fairly well.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Akatsuki is a short socially awkward ninja roleplayer who has a crush on a person she only refers to as her lord, yet she wonders why everyone else seems to have it together while she doesn't. She kind-of-sort-of had the role of main-cast scrub because all the other 90s in Shiroe's gang were hardcore raiders of one flavour or another, so when Nyanta and Shiroe beat up Democracy she was the one who made us understand why their teamwork was so remarkable. That's pretty good for a secondary or off-main character but not so great when trying to expand her into a main character without adding anything new.

That being said I liked this episode, even if it put way too much weight on asking for help; at least it's started to go somewhere.

In regards to the novel spoiler above: so what, they can't just pull Crusty up on their friends lists anymore? That's some bullshit.

doomisland posted:

I couldn't tell if she kept switching sizes in the afterlife between her "real life" size and video game size. Seemed she was bigger in some scenes and smaller in others despite wardrobe changes.

She's the same height in the game and real life. Blame DEEN for the animation glitches.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
She only looks taller because her ponytail irl is not as large.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think they changed her proportions for the RL segment to give it a more realistic feel. Her face (mostly jaw) also had a less anime look.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They did the same thing a couple episodes back when Naotsugu was talking about his job in real life. They just have an alternate, "realistic" art style for scenes taking place outside the gameworld.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Question: I'm guessing that instead of losing memories of the real world, they lose memories of their lives in game? That is how it looks like to me

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Dante Logos posted:

Question: I'm guessing that instead of losing memories of the real world, they lose memories of their lives in game? That is how it looks like to me

Crusty lost memories about his pet cat in S1, so IRL stuff is definitely not off limits.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Nice to see this going somewhere, but they really should have interleaved this plot with one of the other groups'.

The whole "flavour text actually means something" isn't exactly a new development, is it? Log Horizon at least have known about it since they found out Regan was real. (I assume this recent development is only affecting the Adventurers' items from before the Apocalypse, the rest of the world has presumably had magic items always behave as they were meant to.)

(Also, the man in the tasteless shirt and jacket, wow.)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I really, REALLY enjoy the fact that the people are playing a real MMOG and not a game where you win on the first shot because you "believe" in yourself.

When they go to raid, they all go in fully expecting to die many many times while they begin to figure out what the first boss does. That moment when they discover the timing of the one ultra-attack from that bird thing is a thing that happens in games; when you have been trying to beat one phase and keep dying on the switch to the next phase and actually surviving the transition is amazing especially if it requires accurate positioning and timing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

EVIR Gibson posted:

I really, REALLY enjoy the fact that the people are playing a real MMOG and not a game where you win on the first shot because you "believe" in yourself.

When they go to raid, they all go in fully expecting to die many many times while they begin to figure out what the first boss does. That moment when they discover the timing of the one ultra-attack from that bird thing is a thing that happens in games; when you have been trying to beat one phase and keep dying on the switch to the next phase and actually surviving the transition is amazing especially if it requires accurate positioning and timing.

Yeah the fact that the characters actually do play realistically (for a game) when encountering monsters is one of my favorite things about the show.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Jesus christ I know I've been defending the anime before but god I could swear the LN didn't feel this loving slow.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I binged season 1, so I can't speak to the pacing, but I know that watching this weekly is killing me. loving do something already :supaburn:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kyte posted:

Jesus christ I know I've been defending the anime before but god I could swear the LN didn't feel this loving slow.

Most of this episode was new. The book went more or less straight from Akatsuki asking for help to the big fight. The bulk of that particular volume consisted of Akatsuki's depression-fueled isolation and death.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So why exactly are all the characters who are dealing with the Killer in Akihabara girls? Did they explain that and I missed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Ethiser posted:

So why exactly are all the characters who are dealing with the Killer in Akihabara girls? Did they explain that and I missed it?

They're all part of Souji's harem

• Locked thread