Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ok my dropbox email is dtkozl at yahoo.com also anyone else that wants a game always feel free to contact me there.

So what is your poison, scenario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

dtkozl posted:

Ok my dropbox email is dtkozl at yahoo.com also anyone else that wants a game always feel free to contact me there.

So what is your poison, scenario?

Some kind of meeting engagement? I'm ok with either side

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
A scenario meeting engagment? There are three and the first 2 are terrible and I am currently playing them with other ppl, and the third is a 3 hour battle that is the largest in the game. Have not played that one, but it might be too big for our first game? What do you think of Baranovichi, it is an allied attack but germans get some movement. Or a quickbattle of course.

Seems like a lot of these cmrt scenarios lack even a single mortar call in, I don't like it.

Also dropbox is a must. Cm turns often go over 50 megs which is the limit for my email. If you have one I'll need the email you used to send you an invite, otherwise you will have to sign up or I'm open to other suggestions?

Tonysnow let me know what you want to do, I have not done a lot of stuff in italy and cmbn if that is your pleasure.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

dtkozl posted:

A scenario meeting engagment? There are three and the first 2 are terrible and I am currently playing them with other ppl, and the third is a 3 hour battle that is the largest in the game. Have not played that one, but it might be too big for our first game? What do you think of Baranovichi, it is an allied attack but germans get some movement.

Seems like a lot of these cmrt scenarios lack even a single mortar call in, I don't like it.

Also dropbox is a must. Cm turns often go over 50 megs which is the limit for my email. If you have one I'll need the email you used to send you an invite, otherwise you will have to sign up or I'm open to other suggestions?

Tonysnow let me know what you want to do, I have not done a lot of stuff in italy and cmbn if that is your pleasure.

Quick battle then? I dont know the scenarios very well.

I have a dropbox account somewhere, I'll go find the account it is under.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Well I have not played Baranovichi I just opened a bunch of them to look around, but a quick battle is fine. You can create a shared folder in drop box and invite me if you like. It doesn't matter who does it. No rush either.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Caconym posted:

On the contrary. The key point is low naval skill. Normal navB is pretty much useless for non-dive bombers, exception being a secondary skill for torpedo pilots. I train all medium bombers in lownav and normal ground, heavy bombers in normal ground and nav search. One on the crappy dutch bomber squadrons out of batavia landed two 300kg SAPs on the Hiryu last turn resulting in a fuel storage explosion and heavy fires. They had about one month of 100% lownav training and about 50 lownav skill. Took a heavy toll but so worth it. Blenheims out of singers landed enough 250lbs on the Kongo for keep it on fire for several days and forced it to withdraw.1000 feet for ever.

Fair enough. I suppose I was thinking primarily of bombing land targets. Since level bombers suck so bad against naval targets you may as well do a balls out attack at low level with a half bomb load instead of missing with a fill load.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008

dtkozl posted:

A scenario meeting engagment? There are three and the first 2 are terrible and I am currently playing them with other ppl, and the third is a 3 hour battle that is the largest in the game. Have not played that one, but it might be too big for our first game? What do you think of Baranovichi, it is an allied attack but germans get some movement. Or a quickbattle of course.

Definitely a big fan of CMFI, I'm leaning towards a ME quick battle but I'll see if there are any good H2H scenarios out there I haven't played. How would this work, just have a shared folder in dropbox?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Morholt posted:

What is the Weimarian army in Pike & Shot supposed to represent?
My guess is that it is the army of the duchy of Saxe-Weimar, they were Protestants. It is located in Thuringia.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

TonySnow posted:

Definitely a big fan of CMFI, I'm leaning towards a ME quick battle but I'll see if there are any good H2H scenarios out there I haven't played. How would this work, just have a shared folder in dropbox?

Yes, either you or I would go to the dropbox webpage, create a folder, then right click it and select share folder. A pop up will then ask you for my email and it will send a request to me to join that folder. After that we just throw the game turns into it.

There is a program that someone made called h2hh that interfaces with dropbox that automatically puts the game turns from dropbox into their respective cm game folder. It is great when you run more than 1 game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's been updated and renamed to 'Combat Mission Helper' if HH2H isn't finding it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Does anyone know how often Combat Mission games go on sale? I'm tempted to get the big Normandy bundle but I'm hesitating between getting it now or waiting for a bigger deal.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not very but we're so close to Black Friday / Christmas you might as well wait.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Not very but we're so close to Black Friday / Christmas you might as well wait.

So often do I forget about Black Friday. We still have the better name for a holiday shopping event.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Does anyone know how often Combat Mission games go on sale?

They don't do temporary sales. Occasionally they check the prices of their old products but nothing to rely on.

Speaking of which, the first beta video of Black Sea was streamed on Sat. It displays active protection systems and poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-dVJC3eyg

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

They don't do temporary sales. Occasionally they check the prices of their old products but nothing to rely on.

Welp, guess its time for me to dive deeper into Grog territory.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
Ran across Silent Hunter Online. http://www.silenthunteronline.com/

Is it any good, or is it just more Pay to Win bullshit?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It isn't pay to win. It's just bad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Battleplan American Civil War is on sale today, but I remember there were supposedly some rough spots with game speed and interface on release. Has it gotten any better?

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Metal Bear posted:

Not sure how much this counts as a grognard game considering it's an Android OS title, but I've been playing Pacific Fleet for a bit, and it's reminding me quite a bit of SH3 but with surface vessels. It definitely scratching my naval sim itch.

I gave it a try and it's a really pleasant surprise. I rarely expect much from mobile games, but this is a legitimately good little version of Battlestations: Midway mixed with how I expect World of Warships to play, albeit turn based instead of real time.

Easy to grasp, fun, and reasonably authentic. I played it until my tablet ran out of batteries (just as I was about to sink the Shokaku!).

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Speaking of which, the first beta video of Black Sea was streamed on Sat. It displays active protection systems and poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-dVJC3eyg

Jesus Christ it all looks just like it looked ten years ago. Goddamnit.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Allied Corps is on sale for $10, on Matrix and on Steam, although on Steam its listed as a DLC and "you must own the original version of Panzer Corps". That's incorrect, the game is stand alone.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Gamersgate has a slew of things on sale for today (the 11th); gonna probably pick up "WW1 Centennial Edition" for cheap and play it while watching the WW1 BBC series on Youtube.

Looks interesting with a neat combat resolution system - anyone have any take on this game?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Allied Corps is on sale for $10, on Matrix and on Steam, although on Steam its listed as a DLC and "you must own the original version of Panzer Corps". That's incorrect, the game is stand alone.

Are you certain the Steam version is standalone? I would honestly not put it past Matrix to gently caress up and make it dependent on the original somehow.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Steam version is not standalone, they classified it as DLC for whatever reason. I talked to a guy from Slitherine and he just shrugged.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Geez, first expansion already announced and the new Combat Mission isn't even out yet :stat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2DbZF-bbsA&t=9s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

apseudonym posted:

I looked at the changelog and jesus gently caress that's a lot of changes. Any highlights?

Going back to this, apparently one of the bigger changes whose significance I missed out on is that units adjacent to enemy units will never receive replacements, period.

As well, Soviet infantry units will need to be set to Refit (and not be adjacent to an enemy unit) in order to receive replacements above 60% TOE. If they are kept on Ready, they will never rise above 60% TOE regardless of what the max TOE setting is. This is for all devices in the formation (it used to be just infantry squads).

Axis infantry units are also subject to this rule, although their cap is 70% TOE unless set to Refit, and their rule only kicks in after 1941.

(The AI is subject to the first rule, replacements only when out of contact with enemy, but the AI is not subject to the second rule - AI units can receive replacements up to 100% even without a change in mode from Ready/Refit)

The intent was to prevent the Soviet player from being able to play with all their front-line units set to Refit, but this can put the Axis in a bit of a bind since a badly damaged unit needs to be taken off the line in order to get back to fighting strength, but the Axis has no control over how many on-map chits they have beyond splitting divisions into regiments, whereas the Soviets can always produce more Rifle Divisions.

If an Axis player is behind and on the defensive, the Soviet player can keep hammering whoever's still on the line until they have to pull out that unit too, which shortens their line further, which lets the Soviet unit focus on hammering another German division, and on and on as the steamroller gains strength.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's pretty much how it went in reality though isn't it?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Honestly i'm not sure how playing the Axis would even be viable with rules like that. I can see the limiting TOE% while in the line, sure but stopping reinforcement altogether? The Axis can't have more than a handful of divisions out of the line after '41 at any one time without the Soviets getting runaway breakthroughs.

Plus even MORE micromanagement. YAY!

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 12, 2014

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Looks like Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm is coming to steam when the next patch lands.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I see they added move orders end state setting a while ago, my biggest problem with the game when it was in beta. Guess I'll bite.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pharnakes posted:

That's pretty much how it went in reality though isn't it?

The Soviet behavior I'm describing, yes, but the IRL results wouldn't have been quite as dire/straightforward as this latest patch would produce because at the scale of 10 mi/hex and 1 week/turn, the Germans could and did reinforce their units right on the line without needing to pull them off from contact completely.

apseudonym posted:

Looks like Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm is coming to steam when the next patch lands.

I might bite on this. Steam's regional pricing makes Grognard games actually affordable.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Anyone play Hannibal: Rome and Carthage ? Is it worth a pick up with the sale this week?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

axelord posted:

Anyone play Hannibal: Rome and Carthage ? Is it worth a pick up with the sale this week?

Ugh the graphics hurt my eyes.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I have no idea how it plays, but there is a demo you could try out if no one answers.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The only bad thing about Hannibal is the lack of multiplayer. THe AI is going to kick your rear end though.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah, it's a really great game and very replayable. One side, no multiplayer, and I keep coming back to it every few months.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Alikchi posted:

Yeah, it's a really great game and very replayable. One side, no multiplayer, and I keep coming back to it every few months.

Ehhhhh for $10 why not. I won't be totally shattered if it's not as good as I hope.

Thanks though, I am excited to try it out!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Goddamn the Red Turn campaign in UoC is really, really great. I love just slowly attrition away the entire enemy army while they impotently flail their armor back and forth between all the different breakthroughs.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Goddamn the Red Turn campaign in UoC is really, really great. I love just slowly attrition away the entire enemy army while they impotently flail their armor back and forth between all the different breakthroughs.

Cool! The Red Turn campaign is probably my favorite for much the same reason.

We also just passed the third anniversary of Unity of Command's release, so here's Tomislav reflecting on the game's success and offering a sneak peek at what's coming next (hint: more busts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Does UoC make for some interesting multiplayer, or are the scenarios too balanced for SP?