Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Neruz posted:

You send a man in on ATTACK CLOSEST orders and look at the battlefield\battle report. :black101:
On an unrelated note, Xibalban scorpion handlers can't actually command two of their three recruitable scorpions, because they have the magic tag. :downs: Did they seriously not playtest their pantie-bats nation even once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

immolationsex posted:

On an unrelated note, Xibalban scorpion handlers can't actually command two of their three recruitable scorpions, because they have the magic tag. :downs: Did they seriously not playtest their pantie-bats nation even once?

Scorpions tamers have 80 magic leadership.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah scorpy handlers can have 80 small or tiny scorpies and 40 big scorpies. The 5 gold small scorpies are easily the best due to them being possibly erroneously size 1. I don't know if their size 1ness is actually a mistake but it means they're by far the best scorpy choice.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
Huh, my bad. I guess I got my tiny knoll trolls mixed up. I wish they'd at least give the different mages big old ceremonial spears, whips, or any crap that could help distinguish them visually.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

Yeah scorpy handlers can have 80 small or tiny scorpies and 40 big scorpies. The 5 gold small scorpies are easily the best due to them being possibly erroneously size 1. I don't know if their size 1ness is actually a mistake but it means they're by far the best scorpy choice.

I think the tiny scorptions are "hand sized" scorpions, one hit (1hp!) and they die, and the small 5 gold scorpies are "kid sized" scorpionss, they have half of a normal human hp, so imo the size 1 is correct, like a hoburg/hobbit. I mean, ideally, the tiny scorpions should be size 0 to represent how tiny they are, but the game doesn't have a big enough range size.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Scrying will also reveal the defenders of a fort! I lucked into getting a stone sphere from a random event in one game and was pleasantly suprised that it would tell me exactly who was partying inside the fortress.

Also, C'tis never dies! I was down to literally two provinces for a very long time, and had no chance of winning, but that doesn't mean I couldn't eat a couple dozen extremely expensive StR mages and be stubborn as gently caress while I'm at it. Caelum flying-raided all of my provinces down to fuckall population, but I did at least have a gold mine in one of them to keep me going.

If I went AI when I was obviously hosed, then I wouldn't have had so much fun in this game, I think. Trying to figure out how to survive best with extremely limited resources is a heck of a lot of fun and probably good practice for future games.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I think the tiny scorptions are "hand sized" scorpions, one hit (1hp!) and they die, and the small 5 gold scorpies are "kid sized" scorpionss, they have half of a normal human hp, so imo the size 1 is correct, like a hoburg/hobbit. I mean, ideally, the tiny scorpions should be size 0 to represent how tiny they are, but the game doesn't have a big enough range size.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first result of coding size 0 results in an infinite stack size. Horrible blob of pixels wanders up to a giant, half an hour later the constant stream of attack noises and 1's finally stop popping up and the giant is dead. Alternatively, AoE attack hits horrible blob of pixels, game crashes trying to pop up a stupid amount of numbers while simultaneously playing a several dozen death noises at once.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

You send a man in on retreat orders and look at the battlefield\battle report.

I usually do attack cause if someone pings your siege he will run like a moron and then can't storm which occurs later in the turn order.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I usually do attack cause if someone pings your siege he will run like a moron and then can't storm which occurs later in the turn order.

So if someone doesn't do this, you could prevent him from scouting a siege by kamikazing something into his siege force? Sounds neat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So this is the closest thing to its own thread, has anyone tried Conquest of Elysium 3? I picked it up on a lark since it was super cheap on Steam but despite advertising it, it has none of the character that Dominions has. Units don't even have descriptions :(

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

So this is the closest thing to its own thread, has anyone tried Conquest of Elysium 3? I picked it up on a lark since it was super cheap on Steam but despite advertising it, it has none of the character that Dominions has. Units don't even have descriptions :(

Its fun but basically a super light weight version that is meant to be played in short sessions. Its a pick up and play game that is fun, but not even in the same strategic dimension as the Dominion games. I like it for what it is and when I want to play something for bit, but not think too much.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Not sure if he even reads the PGS thread so I'll just put this here I guess

garth ferengi posted:

:smuggo:

JBrereton or whatever your name is, jsoh(rlyeh) is going AI this turn so if you want to call it that's fine with me. Sum Of All Insecurities has been a pretty boring game, I've spent most of it shuffling freespawn around and killing the AI, since everyone who I've actually attacked has gone AI within a turn of me attacking me. loving with gag skull and amuys was really funny though

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Eh, it was fun for a bit and I actually did pretty well against both Ulm and Vanheim but I really didn't want to fight an infinite ghost army as a death nation.
Ktonian Legion is a pretty cool spell imho

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

garth ferengi posted:

Not sure if he even reads the PGS thread so I'll just put this here I guess
Cool.

It was a dull game. No wars at all between me and anyone until Marignon went AI and then I took them out in like 3 turns and waited on some sieges. Then everyone else hosed off in a row so whatever. My Turmoil Caelum build didn't really work, because there isn't the readily available gem income to call up Daevas very often, but since I was never on the defensive it also didn't matter ever.

Well played, though, as I said.

Is there a trick to getting Tons And Tons of freespawn as Lemuria beyond just forting everything? I had pretty close to worldwide vision from about the second year and it was just bewildering to me as someone who has barely played them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Chairman Pow! posted:

Its fun but basically a super light weight version that is meant to be played in short sessions. Its a pick up and play game that is fun, but not even in the same strategic dimension as the Dominion games. I like it for what it is and when I want to play something for bit, but not think too much.

Apart from what Chairman said, CoE3 is a sp only game so the AI is a problem. There is some fun to obtain from the game but it's kind of flawed. The map system is different from Dominions, instead of being province based, it's tile based. And some nations produce resources from each tile of a tile, apart from mine tiles, towns tiles, etc.
Do you know how it's annoying some AI games in Dominions when the AI try to takes your provinces but attacking in several places without putting real effort behind it so it ends it in a boring capping and recapping game of provinces? CoE3 is 5x times that, as you have to capture and recapture dozens and dozens of tiles, and there are also annoying infinite roving neutral monsters that capture your tiles.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The CoE3 experience is epitomized by having a neutral deer move into your capital after you move poo poo out and capping it, making you lose the game.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Cool.

It was a dull game. No wars at all between me and anyone until Marignon went AI and then I took them out in like 3 turns and waited on some sieges. Then everyone else hosed off in a row so whatever. My Turmoil Caelum build didn't really work, because there isn't the readily available gem income to call up Daevas very often, but since I was never on the defensive it also didn't matter ever.

Well played, though, as I said.

Is there a trick to getting Tons And Tons of freespawn as Lemuria beyond just forting everything? I had pretty close to worldwide vision from about the second year and it was just bewildering to me as someone who has barely played them.

Forting everything is what I do, yeah, though it's not really for the freespawn so much as just to force sieges if anyone were to actually attack me. I should take the game down, then?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Lemuria doesn't get a siege penalty :saddowns:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The CoE3 experience is epitomized by having a neutral deer move into your capital after you move poo poo out and capping it, making you lose the game.
I'll be sure to add numerous attacks by snakes, wolves, and deer for my CoE nation mods for Dom4 once event modding comes out.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

garth ferengi posted:

Forting everything is what I do, yeah, though it's not really for the freespawn so much as just to force sieges if anyone were to actually attack me. I should take the game down, then?
Yeah, go ahead, I'm not going to be able to fight you when you've got all those provinces and stacks of AI to easily go through, plus globals up as of the last couple of turns.

How do I remove it from my Network list?

Absum
May 28, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Apart from what Chairman said, CoE3 is a sp only game so the AI is a problem.

Uh no it isn't? I've played it multiplayer a few times.

I do like CoE3 and I played it before Dominions but it does indeed tend to get tedious unless you are one of the nations that can spawn AI-controlled stuff. I don't mind less depth though, sometimes I just want to summon some monsters and bump them into some other guys.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I already completed Cultist, Baron, Witch, Senator, Dwarf Queen, Enchanter, and Warlock nations for Dom4.
Voice of El is my favorite of the CoE3 nations, but it's kinda difficult to recreate stuff like their tithe, freespawn sacred armies, and the seal breaking spells.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Conquest of Elysium is a good game because a deer wandering through the neighborhood can capture your capital instantly defeating you.

Melum
Oct 14, 2012
So, I've been playing Dom4 for a few months now, and I'm about to play my first mp game as Bandar Log. I *think* I've got a good idea how to start, but I don't know how to tie it together. Playing vs AI teaches production/expansion but doesn't do much for high-end magic.

I generally do something like 9S9(F/W) on a dormant/imprisoned pretender (Devi of Good Fortune worked out surprisingly well, also tried immobile pretenders) or 9(F/N/W) on a dragon. Tried 9N4E on a Bull which worked much better than expected. This is all coupled with 3 Order, 3 Sloth, 3 Heat, and 0-2 Misfortune, 0-2 Magic, 7-9 Dom. I've been rushing conjuration in order to get additional, less lovely priests in the form of Yakshas, and after that I start flailing. What's a good goal from there?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Are any of the games up on GGS newbie friendly ones? I just picked it up thanks to a goon LP, but I'd like to give multiplayer games a shot instead of beating my face against the AI.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Are any of the games up on GGS newbie friendly ones? I just picked it up thanks to a goon LP, but I'd like to give multiplayer games a shot instead of beating my face against the AI.

None of them are newbie-only, but newbies are usually fine in any of them. I tend to think that all skill games are pretty good, you will learn things faster and when it comes time to lose you'll probably get a mercifully quick death rather than a horrible slog. Half the fun of dominions is learning how to have fun & be a huge jerk when you're on the losing side

Maybe someone will host a newbies-only game since the LP's have generated some new players

Also it's hard to tell from your post but while splayer sucks you should definitely play around with it a teensy bit just so you don't do something gamebreakingly bad like creating a dom3 pretender or forgetting to turn auto-research on

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

If you don't mind your first game using a low level balance mod, happy and u kno it is filled with bad/new players and just needs 1 more to start, I'm pretty sure that unless they say otherwise all games are noob friendly

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Someone wanted a survey done of nation strength
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NqWCD3hoDWFZQ5d7QXRNlHAOSYQDSPd7yQEiH9u00xk/viewform?usp=send_form

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

garth ferengi posted:

If you don't mind your first game using a low level balance mod, happy and u kno it is filled with bad/new players and just needs 1 more to start, I'm pretty sure that unless they say otherwise all games are noob friendly

I joined this. Where do I put the pudmod?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

appdata/roaming/dominions4/mods is where the pudmod folder and .dm files all go

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Also you should probably get into IRC or at least bookmark the PGS thread or something

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

garth ferengi posted:

Also you should probably get into IRC or at least bookmark the PGS thread or something

Quoting for importance. 99% of important poo poo happens in IRC. The other 1% is in the PGS thread.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

ChickenWing posted:

Quoting for importance. 99% of important poo poo happens in IRC. The other 1% is in the PGS thread.

Lies. I may only get on IRC like once a week but I also only get backstabbed and wrecked in 7/8ths of my games. Totally unrelated.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

:toot:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well that's a Hellbind Heart to remember.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Hey this is cool, is it you running it? I don't know enough about this game yet to judge relative nation strength but I analyse data for a living so let me know if I can help there.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Is there a way to see the results without taking it? I don't do multiplayer but I've always been curious about the nation rankings among players.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
I've been trying out Nazca with a freespawn strategy. When their 40g commander dies it turns into a mummy that can summon ~8 flying 15dmg mace milita a turn.

For the cost of one the expensive mummies you can get 20 commander mummies who summon ~160 flying mace chaff a turn. Scripting them with atttack rear they surround 100% of all units including archers/commanders/mages so I long as I brought as least 200-300. Losing 150 units to take out 20 of the enemies is a big win and if they happen to bring any mages there is a very high chance of the mages dieing and that is a major win.

By the end of year 1 you can be summoning 200 units/turn if you rush palisades. The thing I'm wondering about is what good research goals would be. Strength of giants seems good as it lets you buff a 25 aoe group of units each turn and gets the freespawn up to 19dmg attacks which is like a greatsword/maul. Rigor mortis/heat from hell/breath of the desert exhaust your opponents units and let your freespawn get critical hits to kill them, you freespawn getting exhausted doesn't matter that much as they die in droves anyway.

Then there are other spells like Fog warriors/life after death and the protection buff spells which let your units build up more fatigue on your opponents before they die so they can get more crits.

The downside I see is there morale, you don't get unlimited morale or berserking like maenads or undead, so they won't stay to fight until they totally annihilated, however they do have mm3 flying so its easy to get them back into the active provinces when they do retreat.

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 9, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Jabarto posted:

Is there a way to see the results without taking it? I don't do multiplayer but I've always been curious about the nation rankings among players.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NqWCD3hoDWFZQ5d7QXRNlHAOSYQDSPd7yQEiH9u00xk/viewanalytics

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Applebee123 posted:

I've been trying out Nazca with a freespawn strategy. When their 40g commander dies it turns into a mummy that can summon ~8 flying 15dmg mace milita a turn.

There's a big balance thread in the official forum about Nazca, created by the dev, reading the feedback it seems a given they will be nerfed next patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kids, watch where you place your hydras!

• Locked thread