Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Possibly Chicken posted:

Seems like every driver around here is afraid if being passed. It's like "oh wait I'm sorry I'm actually faster usually let me show you please"

This, but with left lane hogs where I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
You guys will not believe this story. I was driving the other day and there was a bad driver also driving near me!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Possibly Chicken posted:

Seems like every driver around here is afraid if being passed. It's like "oh wait I'm sorry I'm actually faster usually let me show you please"

I think a lot of times you just remind them to look at their speedo and they aren't going as fast as they think they want to. More stupidity than malice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jonny 290 posted:

I think a lot of times you just remind them to look at their speedo and they aren't going as fast as they think they want to. More stupidity than malice.

Then why don't they loving use cruise control? It's so easy to use, and it makes long drives on the highway so much more pleasant, and almost every recently-built car has it.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I learned driving a gutless civic in a place filled with AMERICUH hicks that you have to build up speed and time your pass perfectly so you fly by them with a 15-20mph speed difference before they have a chance to react and be a giant cock.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Speed matchers are the worst. It's the biggest dick move when you want to pass somebody in a 35, and they keep speeding up going past 45+ to keep you from passing, and then they slow down with you so you can't get in behind them. gently caress those guys.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ratbert90 posted:

Speed matchers are the worst. It's the biggest dick move when you want to pass somebody in a 35, and they keep speeding up going past 45+ to keep you from passing, and then they slow down with you so you can't get in behind them. gently caress those guys.

What causes this? Having a penis so small it's nigh-undetectable, or what? People who want to pass me in order to go faster are welcome to do it 100%, because it lessens the chance I will get a speeding ticket. Why wouldn't you want someone to pass you if they're going to go faster?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

What causes this? Having a penis so small it's nigh-undetectable, or what? People who want to pass me in order to go faster are welcome to do it 100%, because it lessens the chance I will get a speeding ticket. Why wouldn't you want someone to pass you if they're going to go faster?

I totally love people blowing by me 10-15 over the limit. They'll flush the LEOs and I'll sail through at 5 over (they do have a tendency to ticket for that some places around here).

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

PT6A posted:

What causes this? Having a penis so small it's nigh-undetectable, or what?

It's probably a combination of having been burnt before by people who blaze past and then slow down way down once they're in front, and not actually paying attention to their speed except for when reminded of it when in sight of another car.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Strabo4 posted:

I learned driving a gutless civic in a place filled with AMERICUH hicks that you have to build up speed and time your pass perfectly so you fly by them with a 15-20mph speed difference before they have a chance to react and be a giant cock.

Similarly BMWs hate being passed by inferior peon mobiles and tunerz think anything going faster than them wants to race. My last road trip on I-35 I still remember the loving silver Jetta hogging the left lane. Bastard was going the speed limit, I would have to slow down or pass in the middle lane, but the middle lane was often full of truckers, even when I waited until the middle lane was clear the Jetta would just match my speed and keep me in the middle lane until a truck blocked my path. After this went on several times, I finally got around the Jetta by watching closely for his car in the distance and then accelerating to 90 well ahead of passing. The Jetta of course attempted to match my speed again and I cut off the Jetta with less than a polite amount of space between him and a semi.

In retrospect it was pretty loving stupid behavior for me, but it felt good at the time. Yeah people passing makes me a little jealous, I believe I have chosen the one true speed for the road and they are being reckless, but I will not actively try to prevent people from passing me.

Also on that same trip, I encountered a dark red sporty Mercedes blowing past at ludicrous speed, then about a half hour later I saw the same car pulled over with a flat bed, two cruisers, and a police SUV. It was pretty incredible.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 9, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
On long trips I go the speed limit, but I stay in the right lane unless it's for passing, and if people are flying up in the right lane when it's time to pass, I sure as gently caress don't cut them off, I slow down and wait for them to pass. I don't see why this is hard for everybody else on the road.

Also if I do pass it's not at 1mph faster then the trucker next to me, because gently caress those people as well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Also if I do pass it's not at 1mph faster then the trucker next to me, because gently caress those people as well.

Double-gently caress those people when they're driving another semi... on an uphill... in one of the few passing sections on Rogers loving Pass. Or going up Ten Mile Hill after dragging their loving rear end through the curvy section outside of Golden.

Actually, just gently caress the Trans-Canada through BC altogether.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ratbert90 posted:

My only speeding ticket was because some jackass was going between 35 and 40 on a 55mph back road and when I went to pass him speed matched me all the way to 60. I ended up just flooring it to complete the pass when I saw the glow of headlights over the next hill and it just so happened that the oncoming car was a deputy who popped me for for 68 in a 55.

The worst I have ever seen was some ancient grandpa near Hilton Head SC on the main road off the island. The guy was just pacing the van next to him and that van was desperately trying to get over to turn. It was a rolling road block as the van tried speeding up to 70 and slowing down to 25 with no luck. Eventually they caught up to another old person who was doing the more traditional 35 in a 55 and the van (and everyone else including my family) could get around.

Retirement areas just suck to drive near.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I just don't understand this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqP3Bk_cX-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnJk-ijEVwU

How do you gently caress up this badly?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

jaegerx posted:

:stare:

Close the thread, we are done here, nothing anyone can possibly post will exceed this perfect level of failure.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

jaegerx posted:

Boy California DMV, I sure am glad I had to take all that training and learn how to parallel park a loving semi truck and you let that thing have a license.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

jaegerx posted:

If she was an animal, natural selection would have already taken its course.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've seen this a lot at the state college with exchange students. Their license from overseas is valid I guess but they have an absolute lack of experience or comprehension of driving here.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

jaegerx posted:

Sweet Christmas, I don't think there's a video example of a worse driver out there.

Jesus loving Christ.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I honestly believe the police should be able to issue a citation to people that have trouble parking like that to force them to undergo the driver's license test before allowing them to drive again. If you go and pass the test with flying colors, no harm, no foul, no charges. If you fail the test, congratulations, you lose your license. Kinda like how the FAA can force a license check on you if you do something strange or stupid while flying.

Seeing the video above, I get the impression that the person driving honestly has no idea how the relationship between the steering wheel and the car moving in reverse works. Allowing a person like that to drive a car on the highway is like allowing an engineer to certify a bridge design when he is struggling with basic algebra.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Parking Dyslexia is a real thing!

I heard a commercial on the radio from an insurance company, don't remember which. It was a bunch of FUD about parallel parking, and that if you were bad at it you had 2 choices: to buy a bus pass, or buy our super awesome insurance that forgives you for your terrible driving and pays for dents and dings! There is an obvious third option that I need not mention, possibly a fourth if ritual suicide is on the table. What about the other people you are inconveniencing by *OOPSIE!* dinging up their bumpers and fenders?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

That's such a nice car too. Shame. It's probably totaled by now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I totally parked over the lines at the museum parking lot yesterday. I noticed every car was parked like poo poo. Got to the back of the lot were there were 3 or 4 open spots and parked between the lines like you do. The parking lot attendant had me back up and reposition myself over the line to be closer to the car on the right. Wtf? I think they were trying to squeeze an extra 2 cars into the row.

Luckily, the lot cleared out by the time we got back and we didn't need to wrangle two sleeping kids and a stroller between cars parked too close together.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PaganGoatPants posted:

That's such a nice car too. Shame. It's probably totaled by now.

Looks like it still has a dealer front plate on it. Can you imagine being the salesperson during that test drive?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

PT6A posted:

An idea occurs: it seems to me that a large part of really lovely driving behaviour comes from a failure to be able to navigate in unfamiliar territory and/or a great fear of what to do after one has missed one's turn. Upon reflection, I don't think "how to unfuck yourself when lost" was ever a skill that was taught in drivers' ed. Having gone on a godforsaken wild goose chase today*, more or less, but having never put anyone in danger as a result, I'm thinking this is perhaps a skill we should focus on.

lovely driving usually boils down to nervousness/fear ("oh god, I don't know what to do, what if I miss my turn, there are so many cars at this intersection, why is everyone going so fast, oh god" etc.), distraction/impairment (focusing on something else besides controlling your car, or being drunk or sleepy), or selfishness (if a conflict exists between the rules of the road or plain old common sense and what the driver wants, they go with their own wants every time).

Speaking of bad drivers, there's this one turn lane I use every day that is some sort of bad driver honeypot:

At least once or twice a week, I'll come across some oncoming idiot driving the wrong way in this turn lane. Usually they're trying to turn left; apparently they think the "no left turn" signage there doesn't apply as long as they do it from the wrong side of the road. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugguRrag9Mk

The last guy I encountered doing this actually gave me the bird when I honked at him. :cripes:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jesus Christ, that woman literally has no idea how to operate her car at even the most basic level. How the gently caress can someone get a license while being fundamentally unable to back up?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

dennyk posted:

lovely driving usually boils down to nervousness/fear ("oh god, I don't know what to do, what if I miss my turn, there are so many cars at this intersection, why is everyone going so fast, oh god" etc.), distraction/impairment (focusing on something else besides controlling your car, or being drunk or sleepy), or selfishness (if a conflict exists between the rules of the road or plain old common sense and what the driver wants, they go with their own wants every time).

Speaking of bad drivers, there's this one turn lane I use every day that is some sort of bad driver honeypot:

At least once or twice a week, I'll come across some oncoming idiot driving the wrong way in this turn lane. Usually they're trying to turn left; apparently they think the "no left turn" signage there doesn't apply as long as they do it from the wrong side of the road. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugguRrag9Mk

The last guy I encountered doing this actually gave me the bird when I honked at him. :cripes:

Not sure how they can't figure that out with the arrows facing only one direction.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

dennyk posted:

It's like they designed it to fail. . . One easy solution to that would be to put up a big curb the whole length of the left turn lane. of course, jackasses in SUVs would simply drive over the curb I do like how the east parking lot entrance has the island to attempt to prevent people from turning left there but I'm willing to bet people are still determined enough to just hook it around there.

gently caress mall parking lots:

Notice the funny permanent green traffic lights on northbound Rock Road.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Crotch Fruit posted:

gently caress mall parking lots:

Still not as bad as printers or reddit.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I swear that mall and outlet store parking lots are intentionally hard to get out of in order to keep you there and shopping longer.

Some are pretty blatant about it with two or three lakes entering and only one exiting.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

gently caress bad parking. gently caress the guy that almost locked me into my spot even though there was plenty of room for his big rear end car and plenty of empty spaces. Sorry to all the people that had to wait for the literally 5 minutes it took me to get out of that spot without hitting any of the other cars around. I'm a pretty good driver, and while not great, I know how to park, but it came down to literal inches getting me out of that spot. (edit: it didn't help I was driving my parent's car so I'm not used to it.)

Some people are just bad at it, okay, sure, I understand it can be tricky but if you're at least aware of it and take the extra minute walk to park in an easy spot I don't mind.

Some people are simply assholes. gently caress them.

Some people are both. gently caress them even more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bumper sticker I saw on my way out of Chicago:
MANUAL TRANSMISSION
If I roll back into you, you were too close.

gently caress you blaming your lack of driving skill on your transmission of choice. Everyone else driving a car with a manual transmission can get moving from a stop without rolling into the cars behind them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Uthor posted:

MANUAL TRANSMISSION

gently caress you blaming your lack of driving skill on your transmission of choice. Everyone else driving a car with a manual transmission can get moving from a stop without rolling into the cars behind them.

I've only seen that on cars specifically used for teaching people how to drive manual (and with none of the snark).

Still, I've seen people stop really close to other cars on hills, and that's not a good idea anyway. Even an automatic can roll back a little bit on a hill (I've never had it happen in my own car, because I've never driven in a city with particularly steep hills, but it sure as gently caress happened to taxis when I was in Montreal).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've had people pull up on my rear end on this hill frequently and could always pull away without rolling back more than a couple of inches.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7536802,-89.5818156,3a,75y,256.18h,82.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sdbwr8LENgGP-IABZFDqIIw!2e0

I'm sure a be-stickered Kia Soul can avoid hitting anyone on the flat city streets of Chi-town.

It just bothered me as it implied manual drivers need special allowances when, no, I'm just fine controlling my car. Better than when I drive an auto, even. We're supposed to the ones with the snobby superiority complex!

Actual awful driver that scared the poo poo out of me: semi doing ~30 mph in a 70 mph zone where everyone does 75-80 mph, in the dark. I think he had his hazards on, but the right side wasn't flashing and it just looked like he wanted to merge to the left. I was in the left lane. Cars in front braked and swerved, pickup next to me braked hard, I braked harder to give him room to serve if he needed it, I was surprised there wasn't a wreck. There was more cars piling up behind, but everyone got around the semi and got out of the way ASAP so I don't know what became of him.

Even if he had his flashers on, what are you doing piddling along on the interstate? If something broke, pull the gently caress over.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Uthor posted:

Actual awful driver that scared the poo poo out of me: semi doing ~30 mph in a 70 mph zone where everyone does 75-80 mph, in the dark. I think he had his hazards on, but the right side wasn't flashing and it just looked like he wanted to merge to the left. I was in the left lane. Cars in front braked and swerved, pickup next to me braked hard, I braked harder to give him room to serve if he needed it, I was surprised there wasn't a wreck. There was more cars piling up behind, but everyone got around the semi and got out of the way ASAP so I don't know what became of him.

Even if he had his flashers on, what are you doing piddling along on the interstate? If something broke, pull the gently caress over.

Was this in the mountains or something? That's a pretty common thing on steep grades, like I-26 north of Asheville.

My favorite thing is when there's a broken-down car blocking a travel lane while facing downhill on a major Interstate or highway, especially when there's a nice wide shoulder or a handy driveway just a few feet away. It's amazing how many drivers there are who literally have no idea what the "N" on that there go-foward-or-backward stick actually means. :v:

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Uthor posted:

MANUAL TRANSMISSION

Yeah, most manual drivers should be able to start without rolling back. That said, people who get super close (I'm talking not enough space for someone to walk between the cars kind of close) on hills (or hell, even flat roads) deserve anything that happens to their car as a consequence of them doing that. There's really no upside to it, and a whole lot of downsides that aren't even related new manual drivers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Uthor posted:

I've had people pull up on my rear end on this hill frequently and could always pull away without rolling back more than a couple of inches.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7536802,-89.5818156,3a,75y,256.18h,82.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sdbwr8LENgGP-IABZFDqIIw!2e0

I'm sure a be-stickered Kia Soul can avoid hitting anyone on the flat city streets of Chi-town.

It just bothered me as it implied manual drivers need special allowances when, no, I'm just fine controlling my car. Better than when I drive an auto, even. We're supposed to the ones with the snobby superiority complex!

The sticker was stupid. People that stop inches of another person's bumper are also stupid, because they will get hit eventually (auto or manual in front, it doesn't matter), The bigger risk of pulling up tight to someone's bumper is you could be at fault if you get rear-ended and damage the car in front of you (stopping too close... drivers' ed said you should be able to see the ground underneath the rear tires in front of you, and you should do that on the drivers' test).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dpidz0r posted:

Yeah, most manual drivers should be able to start without rolling back.

If you're rolling back every time, or even most of the time, on a hill start then you're a bad driver. On the other hand, it's something that I believe everyone fucks up now and again, just like I don't believe any manual driver that says they never stall. It's just a thing that happens because people aren't perfect all the time. It might be twice a year or even less, but it still happens.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dennyk posted:

Was this in the mountains or something? That's a pretty common thing on steep grades, like I-26 north of Asheville.

Illinois, so, no. Flat, straight road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PT6A posted:

If you're rolling back every time, or even most of the time, on a hill start then you're a bad driver. On the other hand, it's something that I believe everyone fucks up now and again, just like I don't believe any manual driver that says they never stall. It's just a thing that happens because people aren't perfect all the time. It might be twice a year or even less, but it still happens.

If you use the parking brake you won't roll back at all. It isn't that hard, and I really don't understand why it isn't the technique taught when you are learning to drive.