Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Just to repeat one response to this particular talking point, the "Johns Hopkins scientist" was an anthropologist who completed an unrelated research fellowship there at one point in the past, who has no credentials in any relevant field. His report "published in BMJ" was basically in their op-ed section, which isn't subject to any sort of review or editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's actually a pretty standard lovely right-wing belief. That along with the idea that if you're on any sort of government assistance, you shouldn't be allowed to vote because it's a "conflict of interest."

It's cool how they do not realize that this would cost them the votes of the rural poor at the same time it cost the Left the votes of the urban poor

"rural poor = brave independent homesteaders, urban poor = lazy parasites" is my favorite double-standard

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

I have no loving clue what the creator of this image was going for. It's not like the marked out text contradicts that first bit.

right to bear karma fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 9, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It is the loving peak of hypocrisy for people who call the poor moochers and adore the military industrial complex to say a single word about anyone other practising Christian.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ansiktsburk posted:

I have no loving clue what the creator of this image was going for. It's not like the marked out text contradicts that first bit.
That's weird. The way the Xtians I know behave, I always thought they read it like this:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
"Judge not, that ye be not judged."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's actually a pretty standard lovely right-wing belief. That along with the idea that if you're on any sort of government assistance, you shouldn't be allowed to vote because it's a "conflict of interest."

I agree with this. If you get more than sayyyy $100,000 of money from the government every year, you don't get to vote or make any campaign donations because the conflict of interest is too strong.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Ansiktsburk posted:

Heh, yeah, stupid progressives selectively reading the bible.

*Only ever talks about 1 law of Leviticus*

*Can't force others to be moral by paying for welfare, can force others to be moral by banning gay abortions*

*Ignore condemnations of hoarding wealth and violence*

Look, I just focus on the core of Jesus' message, everything else is just padding.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 9, 2014

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's weird. The way the Xtians I know behave, I always thought they read it like this:

Yeah, those loving liberals, can't read the bible and poo poo. Look what it really says!

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Oh. Well poo poo, I guess it does literally say "no seriously deal with your own failings first, if some one asks for something just give it to them don't try to gently caress with them, treat people like you want to be treated, and if you intentionally do bad things I'm not just going to let you into Heaven 'cuz you asked real nice like."

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

DrProsek posted:

Heh, yeah, stupid progressives selectively reading the bible.

*Only ever talks about 1 law of Leviticus*

*Can't force others to be moral by paying for welfare, can force others to be moral by banning gay abortions*

*Ignore condemnations of hoarding wealth and violence*

Look, I just focus on the core of Jesus' message, everything else is just padding.

*talks about how Christian groups praying in public are helping deliver this country back to God, while ignoring the oft-quoted Matthew 6 verse*

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twelve by Pies posted:

My boss said this one time and I just asked him how much his homeowner tax credit was, "But that's MY money! I pay so much in but only get a little back!"

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ansiktsburk posted:

Yeah Matthew 7 just says "don't judge, unless they're icky, in which case JUDGE AWAY!"

I totally agree with the point of this since I too have not read and understood Matthew 7.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Twelve by Pies posted:

That along with the idea that if you're on any sort of government assistance, you shouldn't be allowed to vote because it's a "conflict of interest."

Pat Sajak (seriously) said that one once. He said it'd be the same as having someone who he had financial dealings with come on his show. He also said climate change was a racist conspiracy, then used the "I was just joking!" defense when people got mad. Stick to spinning wheels, dude.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
By that logic people that pay the government shouldn't be allowed to vote either. No taxpayers, no recipients of any sort of welfare or benefit.

Who does that leave?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how the person who made the macro is reading it and he's upset that other Christians don't.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

By that logic people that pay the government shouldn't be allowed to vote either. No taxpayers, no recipients of any sort of welfare or benefit.

Who does that leave?

Since pretty much everyone pays some sort of tax(at the very least sales tax), I guess that just leaves one guy in Montana to elect our entire government.

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

O hey! I noticed we're on the topic of social programs (surprise) SO here's another on-point forward I got that is trying to spread the "seed of
awareness" by sending totally screwed up facts of how Social Security was originally supposed to work.

quote:

Social Security Cards up until the 1980s expressly stated the number and
Card were not to be used for identification purposes. Since nearly everyone in the
United States now has a number, it became convenient to use it anyway and the
message, NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION was removed.

An old Social Security card with the "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION" message. [there was an image here, but the link was broken]
Our Social Security
Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social
Security (FICA) Program. He promised:
1) That participation in the Program would be
completely voluntary,

No longer Voluntary

2) That the participants would only have to pay
1% of the first $1,400 of their annual
incomes into the Program,

Now 7.65%
On the first $90,000.

3) That the money the participants elected to put
into the Program would be deductible from
their income for tax purposes each year,

No longer tax deductible

4) That the money the participants put in went to the
Independent 'Trust Fund' rather than into the
General Operating Fund, and therefore, would
only be used to fund the Social Security
Retirement Program, and no other
Government program, and,

Under Johnson the money was moved to
The General Fund and spent.

5) That the annuity payments to the retirees would never be taxed
as income.

Under Clinton & Gore
up to 85% of your Social Security can be taxed.

Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are
now receiving a Social Security check every month --
and then finding that we are getting taxed on 85% of
the money we paid to the Federal government to 'put
away -- you may be interested in the following:

Q: Which Political Party took Social Security from the Independent 'Trust Fund' and put it into the
General Fund so that Congress could spend it?

A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the Democratically
controlled House and Senate.

Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax
deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?

A: The Democratic Party.

Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social
Security annuities?

A: The Democratic Party with Al Gore casting the
'tie-breaking' deciding vote as President of the
Senate, while he was Vice President of the U.S.

Q: Which Political Party decided to start
giving annuity payments to immigrants?
(AND MY FAVORITE):

A: That's right!

Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party.
Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65,
began to receive Social Security payments! The
Democratic Party gave these payments to them,
even though they never paid a dime into it!

Then, after violating the original contract (FICA),
the Democrats turn around and tell you that the Republicans
want to take your Social Security away!

And the worst part about it is uninformed citizens believe it!
If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of
awareness will be planted and maybe changes will
evolve.
But it's worth a try.
How many people can YOU send this to?
Actions speak louder than bumper stickers.

I've decided to just reply all with gentle debunking. I can't help it, I feel it is my duty to plant small seeds of actual facts. I didn't even have to use Snopes.com ('cause you snopes is just written off as liberal trash by old people). Nope, the Social Security Government website actually has an article debunking almost all of these things this e-mail purports. http://www.ssa.gov/history/InternetMyths.html Kind of funny!

Plus the bit about immigrants "stealing social security! blarg!" is wrong too, that's Supplemental Security Income. Not financed the same way. And if people are really going to get mad about old immigrants getting just enough money to survive then wow, I guess that explains that deep chasm where their heart is supposed to be. I guess when immigrant families come over they should leave grandma behind (lol, who am I kidding? Conservatives don't want immigrants period)

And I don't quite get the beginning part. Are we supposed to be mad that we use our SSN as identification now?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SedanChair posted:

But if I admit that that woman was absolutely going to die, then that means that I have to face the reality that everyone dies. And I cannot die.

This cracked me up, so at least something good came from that vitriol on LL101.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

MissKeewi posted:

Nope, the Social Security Government website actually has an article debunking almost all of these things this e-mail purports. http://www.ssa.gov/history/InternetMyths.html Kind of funny!

Who is in charge of that website right now? Democrats!!!

So if you believe that, then I don't know what to tell you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

If it's a conflict of interest for people receiving welfare to vote because they're presumably going to vote in people to keep the welfare gravy train going, it's just as much of a conflict of interest for people paying taxes to vote because they're presumably going to vote in people who are going to lower their taxes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MissKeewi posted:

And I don't quite get the beginning part. Are we supposed to be mad that we use our SSN as identification now?

Probably something to do with either being paranoid of the government tracking you through your SSN or some mark of the beast bullshit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Probably something to do with either being paranoid of the government tracking you through your SSN or some mark of the beast bullshit.

Obviously, we all need to give up any sort of unique identifier. Mark of the beast blah blah

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!

CommieGIR posted:

Obviously, we all need to give up any sort of unique identifier. Mark of the beast blah blah

Mark of the beast y'all!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hamster_style posted:

Mark of the beast y'all!

I never get tired of that

"Its gonna happen cause BIBLE" :allears:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

hamster_style posted:

Mark of the beast y'all!

Tell them not to worry, and read a real news source!

Report: Apocalypse Actually Happened 3 Years Ago

MENLO PARK, CA — Though the event went largely unremarked upon at the time, a report published Monday by the Kaiser Family Foundation has found that the apocalypse, or end of the world, occurred three years ago. "According to our data, the total collapse of all human civilization occurred on or around April 3, 2008," said foundation representative Jodie Palmenterri, citing numerous instances of environmental disaster, humanitarian catastrophe, and economic ruin as unambiguous signs that the world had ended. "Those who have worried for years that human culture was headed toward calamity can rest easy, because it already happened. We are living in a postapocalyptic world. This is it." Palmenterri went on to say that because the apocalypse does not resemble the eschatological predictions of any major religion, it's safe to assume the gods have all forsaken us.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-apocalypse-actually-happened-3-years-ago,21143/

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

I never get tired of that

"Its gonna happen cause BIBLE" :allears:

The Original 'Any Day Now'

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

Tell them not to worry, and read a real news source!

Report: Apocalypse Actually Happened 3 Years Ago

Well there was a major battle on the Plains of Armageddon way back in 1918. It had artillery and bombers and everything, I'm sure that counts right? I mean to the author of the Book of Revelations that must have seemed like the heavens opening up..

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hamster_style posted:

Mark of the beast y'all!

I like how the "voice of reason" is using the fact that it was reported on NBC to discredit it. :allears:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I always ask what I'm supposed to do if I want to comply.

What doctors offer the microchip? Is it free? I'm not 100% sure if I want it or not, can I get a pamphlet?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I always ask what I'm supposed to do if I want to comply.

What doctors offer the microchip? Is it free? I'm not 100% sure if I want it or not, can I get a pamphlet?

My only concern: Is it covered by my insurance?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

CommieGIR posted:

My only concern: Is it covered by my insurance?

Yes, but when it starts beeping and flashing a red light you must report to your local death panel immediately.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Internet Webguy posted:

Yes, but when it starts beeping and flashing a red light you must report to your local death panel immediately.

It's like when they give you those flashy things at a restaurant that tell you when your table is ready!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Deuce posted:

It's like when they give you those flashy things at a restaurant that tell you when your table is ready!

Actually, it is literally one of those flashy things at a restaurant that tell you when your table is ready. You'd think they'd at least make it smaller, but no.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

hamster_style posted:

Mark of the beast y'all!

American plot to exterminate Native Americans from lands west of Mississippi:

1) Shoot them

2) Repeat until they stop actively resisting

3) Move white people into lands they used to own

4) Kidnap kids and have them raised by white families

5) Force kids not who aren't adopted go to a school where they learn their ancestors are all savages

6) If they get uppity later, start slaughtering them dozens at a time until they calm down. Then slaughter a few dozen more.

7) Repeat until destiny is manifest.

Obama plot to destroy USA:

1) Inject RFID chips into everyone

2) Somehow collect information from all of them letting Obama know where you are at all times and is only technically more accurate than just tracking your cell

3) Give people Ebola

4) Kidnap those Ebola victims, pray to Allah they somehow manage to infect people in the brief window before they are kidnapped.

5) Wait until God sees what is going on and decides it's time to start the Rapture

6) Put Christians into concentration camps run by FEMA

I'm just saying, the USA used to be so good at this whole "wipe out an entire people" thing, it's a shame to see how much talent they've lost :(.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Actually, it is literally one of those flashy things at a restaurant that tell you when your table is ready. You'd think they'd at least make it smaller, but no.

Does it go in your chest like Iron Man because if so loving sign me up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

Let me put it this way- you don't need to worry about swallowing it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 10, 2014

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mo_Steel posted:

At the moment it does, but I understand they're working on a smaller version that fits into the palm of your right hand.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mo_Steel posted:

Man, its like these guys think RFID equipment powers itself...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Technogeek posted:

At the moment it does, but I understand they're working on a smaller version that fits into the palm of your right hand.
I'm not worried, I just won't go to the supermarket today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lknW2mzXMMY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrProsek posted:

I'm just saying, the USA used to be so good at this whole "wipe out an entire people" thing, it's a shame to see how much talent they've lost :(.

Uh, I think you'll find True Americans outnumber Obungler and, much like all of the Secret Service and the Marines are just waiting to overthrow his evil regime.

They're just waiting for you to make the first move.

Go ahead...make it...

Go on...

AHA FALSE FL-oh...still waiting...make it...

We'll be right behind you we swear...