Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

guppy posted:

I feel dumb even asking this question, but what are some suggestions for good hot breakfasts, preferably ones that don't take forever to make? My go-tos are various forms of egg (mostly scrambled or omelettes), with some combination of toast, hash browns, skillet potatoes, tomatoes, or sauteed mushrooms; oatmeal (nuts and dried cranberries in); and french toast or pancakes. Once in a blue moon I make paranthas but that's a bit of a time investment. I like all those things but I've been wanting to mix it up lately.

My quickest and most common go-to breakfast is a baked sweet potato (8 mins in the microwave) peeled and topped with 2 fried eggs. I can make that all in about the time it takes to boil water and serve a french press of coffee.

Biscuits and gravy is good but not as fast as most of the ones above although you could make the gravy and reheat it and use canned or frozen biscuits. I've done them this way and they are generally still quite good.

Grits with fried eggs mixed in is also good. Or, scrambled eggs and chorizo on a tortilla etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

QuarkMartial posted:

Sorry for being vague, I was posting from my phone at work :v:. I'm not a big soup person in general, but something about this change of season has got me craving soups. What I generally go to are things like chicken tortilla, wonton, miso, and hot and sour type soups. I guess the childhood standards of vegetable or chicken noodle are what I'm trying to avoid, though I suppose chicken noodle is kinda in that same category. I also want to avoid some of the heavier soups like potato or broccoli cheese. Those are really tasty, but a lot heavier than what I'm wanting here lately. Also, tomato soups are generally something I like as well. Pho is really good, too. I've only had it a couple of times, so I'm not exactly sure what goes into it and types and so on.

I like this recipe for a quick chicken pho-ish soup:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/quick-asian-chili-lime-chicken-soup.html

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I've been craving soup because it's cold and windy out. I have a pressure cooker, but it's Sunday morning so why not slow cook it and have a day of delicious smelling kitchen?

Was thinking of white bean soup. I have an approx. 1lb chunk of hickory smoked, black pepper rubbed canadian bacon that I will never consume as canadian bacon. Can I use this in place of ham, or would it be weird? I can trim off the peppery outside.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

I want to make a duckbreast in the oven with one of those oven bags. It is a rather large piece. How do I get it crusty? Do I have to put it in the pan for one minute before putting it in?

Why do you want to put duck breast in an oven bag? Do not do this. An oven bag steams and I can't think of anything worse than steamed duck. Searing it in the pan first also won't do anything (even if you let it go longer than one minute, because one minute won't do anything unless your pan is the molten core of the sun hot); the skin will turn rubbery thanks to steam. The solution is "do not use an oven bag with duck breast." It will not be easier or faster; searing a duck breast is already very easy and fast. This video has a pretty basic method, though of course you can sub out the curry powder for whatever seasoning you like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkaLrvqiv1w

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

guppy posted:

I feel dumb even asking this question, but what are some suggestions for good hot breakfasts, preferably ones that don't take forever to make? My go-tos are various forms of egg (mostly scrambled or omelettes), with some combination of toast, hash browns, skillet potatoes, tomatoes, or sauteed mushrooms; oatmeal (nuts and dried cranberries in); and french toast or pancakes. Once in a blue moon I make paranthas but that's a bit of a time investment. I like all those things but I've been wanting to mix it up lately.

I do breakfast sandwiches in batches.

Cook eggs in ramekins and bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven (about 15 mins at 350).

Put them on an english muffin with cheese of choice. Refrigerate, then microwave for a minute or two in the morning.

Alternatively, I cook the bacon ahead of time and make the same thing on a breakfast sandwich maker my wife got me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fry some sausage patties and heat up the biscuits you made the weekend before. Along with this, serve eggs and hash browns.

Make gravy if you have an extra 10 minutes. EDIT: And a heart that doesn't mind some sweet sweet unhealthy food.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 9, 2014

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
How about main course ideas to go with truffle parm risotto? She's not a fan of bony chicken (bad experience overseas) and I won't touch anything heavily oniony so that rules out rosemary baked chicken or coq au vin.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

QuarkMartial posted:

I might try the pumpkin soup closer to Thanksgiving. I don't know if I'd like it, and there'd be lots of family around to eat it if I don't like it :v:.

The pumpkin soup is nice and spicy, with a hint of sweetness, just don't make the mistake I did on my second time making it and use Pumpkin Pie Filling accidentally. Use canned pumpkin.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's my tortilla soup recipe that i posted in an another thread.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ok, from memory:

¼ cup butter
2 oz flour
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
8 oz medium cheddar (original recipe called for velveeta. Yuck.)
9.5 grams sodium citrate
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Paprika
Cayenne
S &P
1 10 oz can Rotel (that's my one compromise with this recipe)
1 large chicken breast shredded (and chopped if necessary)(original recipe called for 2 cups of shredded chicken)
extra shredded cheese for service

Make a roux with flour and butter. Dissolve the sodium citrate in the stock and milk mix, then add to the roux and bring to a boil/let thicken. Add spices. (the original recipe I found just called for the chili powder and cumin. I didn't have enough chili powder, and I compensated with cayenne and paprika. The paprika made a big difference. I think I also used some white pepper). Whisk in shredded cheese by small handfuls (handsful?). Cook over low until cheese is completely melted. Add the rotel and cook over medium-low until heated, add chicken just long enough before service to come up to temp. Season the whole mess.

Chop corn tortillas into strips and deep fry. Put a ladle of soup in the bowl, then some shredded cheese, then another ladle of soup on top of the cheese. Top with fried tortilla strips.

What little I had left I ate the next day and it was every bit as good. I don't know if using rotel is heresy, but gently caress it it's not like Im using cream of mushroom soup.

So it's pretty quick to make, particularly if you're just gonna top it with tortilla chips instead of frying the strips yourself.

edit: I should specify for those not familiar with the magic of sodium citrate that it is there to keep the cheese from breaking and getting grainy and lovely. Do not attempt to use real cheese if you don't have sodium citrate. You could use velveeta like the original recipe called for, but that poo poo is gross. Order some sodium citrate from amazon instead and wait until it arrives. Your patience will be rewarded.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

What can I do with a lot of tofu? I have so much. So much. All I know to do with tofu is fry it and serve it over fried rice/stirfry with noodles/on a sandwich.

Here is a very simple Vietnamese tofu and tomato soup.

1 tsp. oil
1-2 oz. ground pork, little strips of pork, neck bones, or whatever you have on hand (optional)
1/2 cup onion sliced
2 cups chicken broth
6-10 oz firm tofu cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tomatos sliced into wedges
Green onion and cilantro chopped
Fish sauce and salt to taste
Pepper

1. Heat a little oil in your pot.

2. Saute a bit of the pork with sliced onions with pepper and salt until fragrant.

3. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil and skim bubbles.

4. Add cubes of tofu and sliced tomato and bring back to a simmer. Add fish sauce to taste or just salt or soy sauce, but fish sauce will give the best flavor. Let simmer 10 minutes or until the tomato is as cooked as you like.

5. Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro--plenty of it, you want to mix it into the soup. Crack on some more pepper. Serve over steamed rice.

89 posted:

Dinner date question. I'm wanting to make dinner for a girl I've been seeing. Normally, this is no problem. The problem is a lack of time. I get off work at 8 pm and she goes to bed around 11:30 pm. So, I'm thinking slow cooker is the way to go so I can make it all before I go to work?

Anybody have suggestions on something to knock it out of the park with in my time crunch?

If you want something nice, just keep in mind you do need to do some sort of cooking upon coming home because meat is good in the slow cooker but vegetables all day in the slow cooker will be mush. Something like braised short ribs would be good. Make sure you sear the short ribs and deglaze them on the stove first before transferring to the slow cooker for the braising step. Then when you get home you can do something fairly simple like mashed potatoes and sauteed green beans. To speed up the process, before work cube up your potatoes and leave them in the fridge in bowl under cold water to keep them from browning and prep your green beans by blanching them in salted water for a few minutes, then putting them in an ice water bath, then transfer to a colander in the fridge to dry. Then after work just bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water until tender, mash with some cream or put through a ricer and stir in cream. While the potatoes boil mince some garlic and shallots, sautee those with butter and add your green beans and heat through. Serve the braised short ribs and their sauce over the potatoes with the green beans on the side.

Certain types of pasta sauce you can simmer for a long time, like a classic Sunday sauce or bolognese. You can let those sauces go all day and then just need to boil pasta and finish pasta in the sauce to serve.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

89 posted:

Dinner date question. I'm wanting to make dinner for a girl I've been seeing. Normally, this is no problem. The problem is a lack of time. I get off work at 8 pm and she goes to bed around 11:30 pm. So, I'm thinking slow cooker is the way to go so I can make it all before I go to work?

Anybody have suggestions on something to knock it out of the park with in my time crunch?

Make a salad. I've gotten good results with an ardennaise salad. Slightly out of season in the north of the world, though.
- Dressing: a mix of honey, raspberry vinager, pepper, salt, oil, and diced strawberries. This can safely be kept for 2 weeks in a closed container in the fridge.
- Salad: a mix of your favorite kinds of vegetables (shredded lettuce, diced bell peppers, shredded chicory...) and any kind of black or red berry you can get your hands on.
- Pan-fried potatoes (and pepper, salt, rosemary, thyme...). You can boil and slice them the day before or in the morning. They only take a few minutes to heat up and become crispy.
- Something savory - oven-warmed bacon-wrapped goat cheese; shredded and heated chicken...

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Do we have a primer thread about cooking with tofu or any resources people would suggest? I'm trying to cut more beef and pork out of my diet but still need protein. I

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bartlebee posted:

Do we have a primer thread about cooking with tofu or any resources people would suggest? I'm trying to cut more beef and pork out of my diet but still need protein. I

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670526
That's a tempeh thread. short and sweet - and it has a few recipes and suggestions. The op is asking for advice/suggestions, so look further down the page.

Better than tofu, in my opinion. But you can prepare both in a similar fashion.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

bartlebee posted:

Jan's Tofu Primer

1. Take recipe with beef, pork or chicken in it.
2. Substitute beef, pork or chicken with tofu.

The end.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
3. Result: A meal that would have been better with beef, pork, or chicken.

Tofu is best when it's treated as its own thing and not a meat substitute. Look up specific recipes that are supposed to have tofu such as mapo tofu, the tofu and tomato soup I posted, kimchi jjigae.

Fried tofu is wonderful in stir fries or with a nice dipping sauce, here's a nice little write-up on tofu frying: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2012/06/tofu-frying-tips.html

The author of the above blog post has a great book called "Asian Tofu."

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I've been wanting some pork chops lately so i went and bought some and I'm gonna fry them later.

What should I make to go with them?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

mich posted:

Tofu is best when it's treated as its own thing and not a meat substitute.

No, really. It is a substitute.

Yes, it's often best to fry it beforehand, but those in those cases the original recipe probably called for frying the meat protein as well. (i.e.: stir fry)

If simply substituting tofu sounds unpalatable, then it's likely a specialty recipe in which you can't substitute the meat to begin with. You wouldn't make steak tartare with anything other than beef.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
I agree with mich completely. But making substitutions is a simple way to add it to your diet, sure. If your goal is more non-meat protein, there are some killer bean and/or lentil dishes to explore too.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sorry Jan, Mich is right. Substituting tofu for meat without altering the recipe is why people think that they don't like tofu. :colbert:

Tofu needs a lot of seasoning on it's own before it can be substituted for meat.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

I've been wanting some pork chops lately so i went and bought some and I'm gonna fry them later.

Really almost anything will go well with pork chops. Most recently I had them with braised red cabbage and mashed potatoes. When I want a more southern experience, I like them with collards, black eyed peas and rice. Arroz y Gandules and tostones are also nice for a more Puerto Rican approach (there's an ISCA entry with great recipes for both that was just posted).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sorry Jan, Mich is right. Substituting tofu for meat without altering the recipe is why people think that they don't like tofu. :colbert:

Bad tofu is why people don't like tofu. The most common grocery store stuff is badly prepared/packaged and has the tangy taste that normally only happens when you keep good tofu for weeks without storing it in water (and changing that water regularly). Good tofu has next to no taste, making it perfect for a versatile meat substitute.

Granted, common sense prevails! You wouldn't make a tofu burger with a chunk of tofu without at least seasoning/marinating/frying it. And of course, just like some recipes are better suited for a certain meat type, some recipes will be better suited for tofu. But I stand by my position that if you properly prepare it (i.e.: thoroughly drain it before marinating or frying), tofu can substitute pretty much anything.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Southern style smothered porkchop with grits and greens

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

Good tofu has next to no taste, making it perfect for a versatile meat substitute.

No that's why it's a bad meat substitute. Good meat has flavor. Texture, too. So if you just straight up replace your meat with tofu, you're missing out on quite a lot.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I'm about to cook using spelt spaghetti pasta for the first time. (My roommate is on a medically prescribed diet) Are there any gotchas that I should know about first? In particular, does it still produce starchy pasta water for me to add to my sauce?

(edit) Trip report: Holy poo poo, starch. Spelt pasta puts way more starch in the water than semolina does. I'll have to rinse the noodles next time, that's crazy.

Tendales fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 10, 2014

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Squashy Nipples posted:

Dry frying in a pan is the way to go get a nice firm texture. If you want to cook into something without it turning to mush (like a stew or a braise), you'll need to freeze it hard, and then let it thaw on the counter under a weight, which will press out a lot of the moisture. The freeze and press gives a very firm texture, similar to Indian paneer.

I dry-fried a bunch of it tonight and put it on top of some curry. I usually coat tofu in cornstarch and fry it in oil, but this method was a lot simpler. I'll try freezing a block of it next. I was also thinking of doing tempura with it.

Will not be substituting tofu in for pork, beef or chicken because that's just insane.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No that's why it's a bad meat substitute. Good meat has flavor. Texture, too. So if you just straight up replace your meat with tofu, you're missing out on quite a lot.

Which is why you season, marinate and/or fry it to give it the flavour you want. You know, just like you would do for meat? How is that not substituting?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's a substitute, just a poor one.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Jan posted:

Which is why you season, marinate and/or fry it to give it the flavour you want. You know, just like you would do for meat? How is that not substituting?

Your exact instructions were to simply replace the meat in a recipe with tofu. You didn't mention any seasoning/frying/marinating steps to make it in any way a passable substitute. Also, "recipes that use beef, pork, or chicken" are such a broad variety of recipes, I don't see how your great tip was helpful at all to someone who doesn't know much about cooking or tofu.

Also really good tofu does have a subtle, nice, soybeany flavor and good silken tofu has a richer, fattier quality to its flavor.

Anyway, here is another good tofu article and recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/vegan-experience-crispy-tofu-worth-eating-recipe.html

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tofu really is a terrible terrible terrible substitute. Tofu in and of itself is awesome when used correctly, but people's bastardization of turning it into something its not is what gave it it's terrible reputation.

Some things take decently to a 1 to 1 sub. Salt and pepper tofu for instance is really good. But on the whole 1 for 1 subbing tofu for meat is a recipe for disappointment.

anyway, my fav thing to do with tofu is ma po tofu. especially good if you can get some zha cai (sichuan preserved mustard) as it adds some really interesting funky umami flavors http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Ma_Po_Tofu,_Gravity%27s_Guide

Also if you can get super fresh or homemade soft tofu, just some rock salt of choice and grated ginger is really all you need. Maybe some shichimi togarashi if you want a bit of heat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just gonna switch tofu for ribeye and grill up a thick block. Thanks for the tip, Jan.

Edit: Hey rear end in a top hat. This block of tofu just fell apart between the grates. Now what?

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 10, 2014

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
I grew up in Portugal. What we do is we take tofu, salt it heavily and leave it out in the sun to cure. We can store it all winter, and my favoure thing to do is braise it in a tomato sauce

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

feelz good man posted:

I grew up in Portugal. What we do is we take tofu, salt it heavily and leave it out in the sun to cure. We can store it all winter, and my favoure thing to do is braise it in a tomato sauce

I love tofulao

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I like to take a whole tofu, debone it, stuff it with spinach and tofu, and roll it into itself, then roast.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Jesus loving christ, y'all assholes are latched onto my internet sarcastic simplification of substituting meat for tofu.

Of course you have to prepare the tofu, just like you'd prepare the meat in pretty much any recipe. And of course you have to use common sense and not try to substitute a whole chicken or a beef brisket for a chunk of tofu.

Now let's just drop it, this is getting old.

vvvvvv
:regd08:

Jan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 10, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jan posted:

Jesus loving christ, y'all assholes are latched onto my internet sarcastic simplification of substituting meat for tofu.

Of course you have to prepare the tofu, just like you'd prepare the meat in pretty much any recipe. And of course you have to use common sense and not try to substitute a whole chicken or a beef brisket for a chunk of tofu.

Now let's just drop it, this is getting old.

I find that for older cuts of tofu a good slow simmer or even a sousvide approach works really well. As they age they get pretty stringy but breaking down that connective tissue really makes for a great dish.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jan posted:

The guy was asking for help, if you are going to be sarcastic, why wouldn't you expect people to either be sarcastic back or show that you're wrong/overly simplified to the point of being wrong? And then you defend your statement by still being overly simplified and wrong. Take the hits, let it go.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That Works posted:

I find that for older cuts of tofu a good slow simmer or even a sousvide approach works really well. As they age they get pretty stringy but breaking down that connective tissue really makes for a great dish.

I prefer using the male tofus in my tofu au vin. They add even more flavor.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

If you can, try to get organic tofu from a local farmer who raises and slaughters their own tofus humanely. The flavor is light years beyond supermarket tofu.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If you can, try to get organic tofu from a local farmer who raises and slaughters their own tofus humanely. The flavor is light years beyond supermarket tofu.

Do you know if grass-fed tofu makes a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I love otoro nigiri but overfishing is super bad for the environment. Now I just put a slab of soft tofu on rice and I can't even tell the difference!