Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's winning this loving thing?
This poll is closed.
(W1) Seattle Sounders 31 22.63%
(W2) Los Angeles Galaxy 13 9.49%
(W3) Real Salt Lake 1 0.73%
(W4) FC Dallas 4 2.92%
(W5) Vancouver Whitecaps 4 2.92%
(E1) DC United 16 11.68%
(E2) New England Revolution 27 19.71%
(E3) Columbus Crew 11 8.03%
(E4) Red Bull New York 5 3.65%
(E5) Sporting Kansas City 0 0%
(C1) Calvinball 25 18.25%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

fat greasy puto posted:

it will be even emptier after the cosmos come to town and we will still beat your rear end

Imagine losing to the Cosmos in a knockout tournament in the year of our lord 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Yeay Metrostars.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

davecrazy posted:

Yeay Metrostars.

did you end up getting to the game on sunday?

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Imagine losing to the Cosmos in a knockout tournament in the year of our lord 2014

you mean the minnow cup? good luck with that hope you guys can beat the Lancaster Area High School Wildcats in the next round

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

fat greasy puto posted:

you mean the minnow cup? good luck with that hope you guys can beat the Lancaster Area High School Wildcats in the next round

If it's so small, you should try winning it some day

Or anything of merit

You could get a trophy for that

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

fat greasy puto posted:

did you end up getting to the game on sunday?

Unfortunately not. Long story not worth getting into.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

dc-ny highlights are up on mlssoccer.com just fast forward to 3:41 for the only important part here's a preview

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

fat greasy puto posted:

dc-ny highlights are up on mlssoccer.com just fast forward to 3:41 for the only important part here's a preview

he looks like an excited pug

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fat greasy puto posted:

im looking forward to his face when they lose in the final to LA or seattle

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

im looking forward to his face when they lose in the conference final to NE

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

fat greasy puto posted:

Black Ben Kingsley

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am sad we are out of the playoffs but I got to see friends and yell at New Yorkers and also we did, you know, win that match

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!
Matchday! I should be confident about the Revs given our recent form and the result in Columbus, but I still distinctly remember every moment of that game where we played Joe Public FC in Gillette Stadium with our first team and lost 4-0.

Feelin pretty good tbh, but every goddamn analyst out there talking about New England vs New York is giving the Crew a lot of really primo "they already wrote us off! gently caress them we winning this poo poo!!" locker room material. Should be a good game. Dear Jose Goncalves don't get a yellow DON'T GET ANOTHER YELLOW CARD

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
lmbo there's no way that columbus gets anywhere close to 3-0, 4-1, 5-3, or 6-4. especially considering that their biggest issue all season has been converting on very easy looks at goal. best outcome for both teams is no injuries that come out of this one. if pogatetz, anor, tchani, francis, rowe, jones, goncalves, and soares see significant minutes than lol @ villareal.

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!
I dunno man, a Finlay brace and a sick Higuain free kick is all it'd take. I agree that it's very unlikely, but being a Revs fan = endless pessimism.

Actually, I've thought about that Joe Public FC game, one of our most embarrassing ever, and went back to take a look at that storied squad.

Matt Reis - Club legend, rightfully so.

Chris Tierney - Nobody believes this when they first hear it, not even me, but statistically he's currently the best dead-ball man in the league over the past few seasons. "Mr. Revs" has played every outfield position for our club at one point or another. I hope he retires in red white n' blue.

Amaechi Igwe - Used to get U20 national team callups. Quietly vanished to the Bundesliga 3rd division, where he bravely led Babelsberg 03 to relegation. Whereabouts unknown. His sister Chiomi is vice-captain at SC Freiburg, though!

Gabriel Badilla - World Cup veteran and current captain at Saprissa. Hahaha, christ. Ostensibly a replacement for the departing Michael Parkhurst, he was an absolute goddamn nightmare for us. Either he was making GBS threads up the game, or making GBS threads up the bench with some sort of injury. Naturally, he went back to Saprissa and was suddenly good again.

Jay Heaps - Former rookie of the year defender, sometimes good, sometimes really bad. (He was really bad and got sent off in the 90th minute in this match. Hey, just like that 2009 Gold Cup final we never, ever talk about!) Happily, seems to be a more astute coach; made the Revs a modest threat to the good teams in his first season when he had no resources, and once the front office started scouting players and spending money, has trained up a good squad. This game, though? Nightmare.

Mauricio Castro - Honduran national team outsider. I always liked "Pipo," a somewhat effective winger who sometimes tried to score but never could do it. He got hurt not long after this game, and ended up either suing or threatening to sue the club over some onerous wage/contract issue.

Shalrie Joseph - Club legend who should've retired instead of taking that Chivas trade. :( He's back on the roster, but has been injured all season. Hopefully he makes the transition to training staff over the offseason. I want this club to keep him and treat him well.

Jeff Larentowicz - Fiery holding mid/defender who occasionally scored belters from outside the box. Occasionally a card liability, but a rock in the center of the field. He was our Ray Borque, a very good player who couldn't win a title in Boston so left to do it in Colorado. Still pretty good in Chicago.

Wells Thompson - Butt of many, many jokes. Good athlete, terrible soccer brain. The guy was convinced he could beat any player one-on-one, and was almost always wrong about this. He did help us win our first trophy, the 2007 US Open Cup! He's playing in Charlotte now.

Khano Smith - Scored one of our most famous playoff goals ever, this sweetness. Spent the rest of his career putting the ball in the 300 level. Now one of our youth coaches.

Brandon Manzonelli - Who? This is a player emblemic of Nicol's problems with scouting and development, a purely potential, 'for the future' player that was dropped after one season (see also: Stephane Assengue, Cassio, Betu, many others). Has played a total of 9 first team professional games in the last 7 years

Subs:
Joe Germanese - Who?! Released by the Revs after 2008, retired.
Pat Phelan - Discount Jeff Larentowicz. Sometimes had good games, but mistake-prone defender. Rattling around in the lower leagues somewhere.
Rob Valentino - Promising young defender. We could never make him work in our system; neither could Colorado. Eventually thrived in Orlando, and may or may not come up to MLS with them in 2015.

Man, what a weird, lovely team we had in 2008. It's amazing that we still made the playoffs that year, and the year after.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

The best thing that I will take solace in this game is Higuain consistently making GBS threads all over Revs keepers. His last PK was a p big "ess my dilz."

This game's going to be scrappy on a field that favors fast play. Parking the bus is the easiest option for NE, and I expect Parkhurst and one of Wahl/Gehrig/Pogatetz to be the only true defenders on the field for Columbus. A full field press that gives way to easy counters.

Fucitol fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 9, 2014

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Fucitol posted:

The best thing that I will take solace in this game is Higuain consistently making GBS threads all over Shuttleworth through this season. His last PK was a p big "ess my dilz."

This game's going to be scrappy on a field that favors fast play. Parking the bus is the easiest option for NE, and I expect Parkhurst and one of Wahl/Gehrig/Pogatetz to be the only true defenders on the field for Columbus. A full field press that gives way to easy counters.

Parking the bus would be a huge mistake for New England, the defense is not good enough to handle Higuain and co for 90 minutes.

I think every Revs fan is thinking that the penalty will come back to bite us. At least it's worth going to the match :v:

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Parking the bus would be a huge mistake for New England, the defense is not good enough to handle Higuain and co for 90 minutes.

I think every Revs fan is thinking that the penalty will come back to bite us. At least it's worth going to the match :v:

If they can contain the width than I doubt they need to worry much about Schoenfeld for 70 minutes and then Arrieta for the remaining 20. Toss in some tactful elbowin' to slow down the pace and you can prevent much coming offensively through the midfield.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

no my team is gonna lose

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

fat greasy puto posted:

no my team is gonna lose

oh poo poo everyone, go back to insulting jersey and dc. noted poster fat greasy puto has decreed it so.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

fat greasy puto posted:

no my team is gonna lose

Yeah I was actually thinking what a pathetic argument this is, heh.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
My buddy stateside is a huge Sounders FC of Seattle fan and he's pretty confident all this talk about the eastern conference doesn't matter for poo poo, congrants to whomever on your second place finish.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Love that guy

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Higuain didn't even travel to Boston. Game over.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Yep crew just loving phoning it in. Higuain, Schoenfeld, and anor didn't even travel. Pretty loving ridiculous.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Watching this. Don't care really who wins but gently caress New England on principle.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I forgot Hector Jimenez is on Columbus Crew. gently caress that guy. Go Revs.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

insider posted:

Yep crew just loving phoning it in. Higuain, Schoenfeld, and anor didn't even travel. Pretty loving ridiculous.

gently caress you they got this. 3-0 no problem.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

God...why the gently caress are they singing BINGO or Yankee Doodle?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Now that I've calmed down a bit from Insider's unnecessary pessimism, The Crew look pretty good so far. Plenty if good chances and much better defense compared to last week.

I'm a little worried, though. They are playing pretty hard and I don't know how long they can keep it up.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

This ref is poo poo. Jones is getting hammered

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Soulex posted:

This ref is poo poo. Jones is getting hammered

the commentators too. revs forward was bundled into from behind and the call was "good solid tackle"

JamesBCrazy
Jul 1, 2014

Vengeance is a sucker's game.
Jones is diving every time someone gets within a foot of him.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
the match of poo poo finishing

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
GOD DAMMIT SOMEONE FROM COLUMBUS PUT IT IN!

Is this the game day thread for playoffs? Didn't see another one so I assumed so.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

JamesBCrazy posted:

Jones is diving every time someone gets within a foot of him.

I'm unbiased and it seems like a legit foul most of the time.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

siggy2021 posted:

GOD DAMMIT SOMEONE FROM COLUMBUS PUT IT IN!

Is this the game day thread for playoffs? Didn't see another one so I assumed so.

Yes

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
LEE NGUYEN LIKE A BOSS

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Akbar posted:

the match of poo poo finishing

That was nice at least

Columbus definitely hosed now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
gently caress did that announcer say?

"LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

• Locked thread