Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm leaving for Taiwan in a week! Can't wait to finally be in Taipei. :)

[e]: Question for content: can you get good jerky reliably in Taiwan? I'm serious. If you can't, that's probably going to be one of my few food cravings...

I guess Hsin Tung Yang is the main jerky provider in Taiwan. Problem solved.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Just an FYI that while still really good, Asian/Chinese jerky is a very different beast than jerky in the US or Europe. If you want that kind of jerky you should bring some over.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

TheRamblingSoul posted:

[e]: Question for content: can you get good jerky reliably in Taiwan? I'm serious. If you can't, that's probably going to be one of my few food cravings...

I've had most of their jerky flavors before. It's terrible for my palate, but I understand its popularity. Like Kaser noted it'll be quite different and you should absolutely not count on getting anything like American jerky easily. If you're lucky you'll just like what they offer anyway.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Awesome. Definitely check out the palace museum when you can

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Magna Kaser posted:

Just an FYI that while still really good, Asian/Chinese jerky is a very different beast than jerky in the US or Europe. If you want that kind of jerky you should bring some over.

They have Oberto's beef jerky at Costco pretty consistently!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
So I'll be in Taipei for the next week or so and I've been informed that I should go out drinking. Thing is, I'm not much of a beer or wine drinker so I generally stick to ciders and mixed drinks. Any suggestions on where I should go?

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I personally think Taipei is kind of a poo poo city for doing the "partying/clubbing/bar hopping" activity, but I was down-voted to hell for saying that so I dunno. But certainly any place that provides alcohol will have mixed drinks as well.

I too nearly only drink mixed drinks and there was a bar I liked in Gongguan with lots of interesting mixed drinks reasonably priced (~$200) but I forget the name. Located on the second floor, across the street from the Chen San Ding (milk with brown sugar pearls) place. In search of that bar name I found this website instead: http://www.thirstyintaipei.com/

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hitension posted:

I personally think Taipei is kind of a poo poo city for doing the "partying/clubbing/bar hopping" activity, but I was down-voted to hell for saying that so I dunno.

did you post this on reddit

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

isndl posted:

So I'll be in Taipei for the next week or so and I've been informed that I should go out drinking. Thing is, I'm not much of a beer or wine drinker so I generally stick to ciders and mixed drinks. Any suggestions on where I should go?
If you're not too worried about money, I've heard good things about Ounce for going full mixed-drink nerd. I haven't been yet because poo poo's retarded expensive, but I've heard good things.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
"I don't actually like drinking alcohol of any kind"

"Taipei is bad for drinking"

I think I may have sussed out your problem, chief.

http://queenjone.blogspot.tw/2012/07/four-playlounge-bar.html

This place has some good mixed drinks.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 2, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TetsuoTW posted:

If you're not too worried about money, I've heard good things about Ounce for going full mixed-drink nerd. I haven't been yet because poo poo's retarded expensive, but I've heard good things.

It's not that bad. I think the bar in the W Hotel, WooBar is worse because their bartenders aren't really skilled they're just trained to make the drinks on the menu if that makes sense. Ounce flew in their bartender from NY and have a rep for actually having bartenders that know their poo poo as opposed to most places that just teach people how to make the standard fare of drink because most people here aren't really educated enough to tell the difference.

Obviously people have different ideas on how much a drink should cost though. I compare prices to L.A. when it comes to places like that so I find them to be quite a bit less expensive. Earlier someone mentioned Beer and Cheese as being expensive because it's 200-300 average for a beer. Sure if you compare to places where you can pay 100nt for a Corona/San Miguel then yeah that's expensive. Cocktails at most places will run you about the same $200-$300, nicer places like Ounce or Woobar will charge double that. It depends if you want to pay for atmosphere and quality; which isn't to say that you can't get a solid drink for cheap in a nice place but you have to sort of ferret those places out between the poles of high and low end establishments.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

hitension posted:

I personally think Taipei is kind of a poo poo city for doing the "partying/clubbing/bar hopping" activity, but I was down-voted to hell for saying that so I dunno. But certainly any place that provides alcohol will have mixed drinks as well.

I too nearly only drink mixed drinks and there was a bar I liked in Gongguan with lots of interesting mixed drinks reasonably priced (~$200) but I forget the name. Located on the second floor, across the street from the Chen San Ding (milk with brown sugar pearls) place. In search of that bar name I found this website instead: http://www.thirstyintaipei.com/

I have found that the variety of bars and mix of people in other cities is way better than Taipei, but the party consistently starts and goes much later in Taipei without inevitably spiraling into seediness. In Bangkok for example, a lot of the legitimate places shutdown right at 2am and anything open after that is very obviously a place to pickup hookers. In Taipei, most places don't even get going until 11pm or midnight and then they're rocking hard until 4 or 5am every weekend night. But it's not like Seoul where you have hundreds of bars in one ten square kilometer area.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Another question: how do you typically get your laundry cleaned in Taiwan?

I am not expecting the "tao fang" or other apartments to come with washing machines or dryers, so should I expect to take my clothes to a laundromat?

[e]: Barchat - Coming from the Midwest (not Chicago), I don't think I'll be disappointed when it comes to the bar scene! It's pretty anemic from where I'm from anyways, so anything is an improvement.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 2, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I am not expecting the "tao fang" or other apartments to come with washing machines or dryers, so should I expect to take my clothes to a laundromat?

[e]: Barchat - Coming from the Midwest (not Chicago), I don't think I'll be disappointed when it comes to the bar scene! It's pretty anemic from where I'm from anyways, so anything is an improvement.

You're coming in with Hess, First Hotel has laundry service, but there is also a laundromat nearby. Head west, go under the overpass and head south along the frontage street. You should pass the Just Sleep and another inn I think called Moon Inn. Also a German-themed pub. Once in an apartment, I suppose just check around see if the building has their own laundromat or ask the doorman.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

YF19pilot posted:

You're coming in with Hess, First Hotel has laundry service, but there is also a laundromat nearby. Head west, go under the overpass and head south along the frontage street. You should pass the Just Sleep and another inn I think called Moon Inn. Also a German-themed pub. Once in an apartment, I suppose just check around see if the building has their own laundromat or ask the doorman.

Thanks for the advice. :)

How has your experience with Taiwan and Hess been like so far? And where did you get assigned for teaching?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

PaybackJack posted:

It depends if you want to pay for atmosphere and quality; which isn't to say that you can't get a solid drink for cheap in a nice place but you have to sort of ferret those places out between the poles of high and low end establishments.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Revolver makes a nice Manhattan, which is one of my favorite mixed drinks.

I suppose you could always go to a Bastille or Odeon if you want to sip high quality beer. As long as you're bringing some people along it could be a fun night. Anyone could enjoy a Kasteel Rouge. An 8% alcohol beer that tastes like cherry soda is more or less a mixed drink already.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/kasteel-rouge/9010/

I guess Beer and Cheese's prices are a little higher than you'd pay at a place like that, but they've got some really unique beer.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Some apartments come with washers and dryers, some don't, it's a real toss-up. Generally the easiest way is to just haul it down to a coin-op laundromat and do it that way. There's tons of them around.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Most of the places I've lived at had a washing machine available. My current place I popped for a dryer because I like soft, warm, clothes during the winter and hate waiting for stuff to dry on hangers. These are not very expensive though I paid $2000nt for a used dryer and then had it traded out for $1000nt when it broke and I wanted one that was a bit bigger. A washer dryer combo from a used place will set you back maybe $3500-$5000nt. Well worth the price of having to find a laundromat and hauling your clothes there which was what I did for the first 6 months I was here.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Most places I've seen just have a washer and no dryer, though I highly suggest drying your clothes in an actual clothes dryer(that uses heatTM) at least once in a while unless you can hang your clothes in a place with direct sunlight or you're on the roof. Otherwise, your clothes will start stretching out and collecting that wonderful mildew stench.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Thanks for the advice. :)

How has your experience with Taiwan and Hess been like so far? And where did you get assigned for teaching?

I'm in Chiayi with House Louse. You're probably going to get the shortened training like I did. My branch higher ups have been awesome in helping me settle in. I know one person in my group who is having a less stellar time settling in. Just be prepared for either. If you go into an apartment you think you like and your HNST and branch manager are both saying no, trust them.

Biggest thing is just having something to do during the downtime. And try to get out, but don't feel bad if you're not seeing something everyday. You've got a year, I wore myself out trying to do everything my first week. I'm probably going to head up to Taipei this or next weekend. If you're in, maybe I can show you around a bit.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
YF19pilot owns

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just find yourself a laundry where a lady will just wash and dry all your stuff. They pay by weight.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I would prefer Taipei for clubbing over HK, I'm not a drinker but I think a one time fee for entry and all you can drink is a pretty sweet deal.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lady Galaga posted:

I'm not a drinker

Haha, check out this nerd.,

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
lol alcohol literally poisons my body and makes me wanna die XD

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
smoke weed every day tho (except taiwan)

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Lady Galaga posted:

a one time fee for entry and all you can drink is a pretty sweet deal.

Only at the real chintzy sleazeball clubs, as a general rule

Taiwan has cheap beer, cheap whisky, and no outdoor drinking prohibitions, so it's a prime pregaming situation

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lady Galaga posted:

lol alcohol literally poisons my body and makes me wanna die XD

lol if you don't always want to die anyway

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm a broken record saying that I'll be relocating to Taiwan, but...

Ounce was incredible. Amazing atmosphere compared to anything I'm used to in Korea.
One of my friends told me about another speakeasy in Hong Kong that I'll check out later.

I didn't have time to see any clubs in Taiwan, so far my personal ranking is Thailand>Japan>Korea

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

politicorific posted:

I didn't have time to see any clubs in Taiwan, so far my personal ranking is Thailand>Japan>Korea

SEX TOURIST

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Oh god, that's not at all what was meant by that. I was talking purely about clubs. Unfortunately all the names of the places in all these countries escape me and have probably all shut down.
I've gotten in trouble for talking poo poo about Japanese dance clubs on these forums before and unless you wanna waste an absurd amount of money for a VIP room in Gangnam next to some coked out European models, it's packed like a slaughterhouse and generally not fun.

Why did I like Thailand clubs? Because you pay for a small table with no chairs, get a few bottles of cheap Johnnie Walker Red and dance and hang around with your group of friends. Then you approach and push the tables or relocate. The party culture is far more fun than Korea or Japan.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
A friend of mine and I will be visiting Taiwan for 10 days from Dec 24 to Jan 3. We'll visit a friend in Taichung for several days but then we hope to be in Taipei for a few days around New Years, probably Dec 30 until we fly out on the 3rd. I don't really know anything about Taiwan, but I don't expect a place to stay will be that cheap that time of year. Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to stay that won't break the bank? Hopefully not more than, say, $80/night split between two people. Obviously cheaper would be nicer, but I'm not holding out too much hope.

Otherwise, is there a recommended area of the city to stay in?

Thanks

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Anyone have any experience taking a bus from Taipei to Sun Moon Lake? If so, where did you leave from, how long was it, how much did it cost, etc?

I keep hearing conflicting things about taking a bus down there.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Shniker I've had great experiences with airbnb.com for several stays on Taipei at reasonable prices. Hotels are plentiful but tend to be stupid expensive. The MRT subway system is fantastic for getting around so I'd just recommend finding someplace near a station.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
My things are packed and ready to leave early tomorrow morning for my flight to Taiwan. It's gonna be 14 hours alone just getting over to Japan.

It didn't really sink in until this week just how big of a shift this is. But, I know it's going to be for the best and will be a fresh start on a new life for me. I'll be getting in to Taoyuan just past midnight on Monday local time, looking forward to seeing you all. :)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

My things are packed and ready to leave early tomorrow morning for my flight to Taiwan. It's gonna be 14 hours alone just getting over to Japan.

It didn't really sink in until this week just how big of a shift this is. But, I know it's going to be for the best and will be a fresh start on a new life for me. I'll be getting in to Taoyuan just past midnight on Monday local time, looking forward to seeing you all. :)

Enjoy your flight. My trip was 48 hours or so total and I didn't sleep a moment. Helped me to kick the jet lag, but I wouldn't recommend it (part of the reason was Asiana turning off the AC and burning up hot for most of a 14 hour flight. Got to chew the fat with a Vietnamese woman old enough to be my grandma, and that was cool. I was planning on coming up to Taipei tomorrow, but if you want I can brave the cold nights a bit longer to bum around next Sunday. Meanwhile, don't be afraid to get out and walk around and explore.

Have fun, welcome to Taiwan (soon).

E: sorry, something just came up, I won't be able to come to Taipei next Sunday. Still, have fun, explore the city, and :getout:

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 8, 2014

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Guys.

That movie though.

What just happened in my life zomg

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. We hk goons did made fun of it afterwards

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Officially in Taipei! :dance: :toot:

[E]: MOS Burgers come on rice patties instead of bread buns. That's.... Different!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

caberham posted:

Yeah. We hk goons did made fun of it afterwards

You made fun of it? I loved it!