Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have no idea how this fits in with Republican politics. I imagine they are all for it, because some people on the other side were against it.

They're in the pocket of the oil/gas industry. That's pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

StandardVC10 posted:

They're in the pocket of the oil/gas industry. That's pretty much it.

That's not really it. It Creates Jobs™. How many isn't even relevant. Maybe oil and gas lobbying is the cherry on top but honestly it hardly matters since the project is broadly popular anyway. Supporting it isn't exactly a political gamble.

Some Democrats are against it because there is a section of the environmentalist movement that is against it, and obviously the Republicans don't care about them.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Veritek83 posted:

There's a vanishingly small number of elected officials on either side of the aisle who are both serious about defense reform and in a position to do something about it.

Ike Skelton is dead and Carl Levin is retiring...name someone else who is actually seriously interested in reform/national interest as opposed to some special interest group/pork when it comes to defense.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Mortabis posted:

That's not really it. It Creates Jobs™. How many isn't even relevant. Maybe oil and gas lobbying is the cherry on top but honestly it hardly matters since the project is broadly popular anyway. Supporting it isn't exactly a political gamble.

Some Democrats are against it because there is a section of the environmentalist movement that is against it, and obviously the Republicans don't care about them.

That oil currently has to be trucked, right? So putting the pipeline in creates a couple hundred manufacturing jobs...while it is happening, then dick and all after. And puts all the people currently trucking that oil out of work, right? If you count the trucking jobs the same way that everybody else counts 'job creation' then you also have to consider all the diesel mechanics, gas station attendants, dispatchers, taquito-manufacturers, taquito-rolling-machine manufacturers, gas-station-toilet-condoms-and-cologne-dispenser-filler-uppers, and so on and so forth, right?

I suspect that the pipeline kills the gently caress out of jobs the minute it is finished. Kind of the point. So, killing existing jobs, and making it cheaper for Canadians to sell overseas rather than dumping on the US refining market. The only people who are benefitting from this are the short-termers selling pipe, and the people who own canadian oil fields. US refiners lose out, US gas-payers lose out.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Slo-Tek posted:

That oil currently has to be trucked, right? So putting the pipeline in creates a couple hundred manufacturing jobs...while it is happening, then dick and all after. And puts all the people currently trucking that oil out of work, right? If you count the trucking jobs the same way that everybody else counts 'job creation' then you also have to consider all the diesel mechanics, gas station attendants, dispatchers, taquito-manufacturers, taquito-rolling-machine manufacturers, gas-station-toilet-condoms-and-cologne-dispenser-filler-uppers, and so on and so forth, right?

I suspect that the pipeline kills the gently caress out of jobs the minute it is finished. Kind of the point. So, killing existing jobs, and making it cheaper for Canadians to sell overseas rather than dumping on the US refining market. The only people who are benefitting from this are the short-termers selling pipe, and the people who own canadian oil fields. US refiners lose out, US gas-payers lose out.

This is just about textbook broken windows fallacy.

But my point wasn't about whether or not we should build Keystone XL, it's that the Republicans support it because of economic reasons and with their new majority it will probably get built.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 8, 2014

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

iyaayas01 posted:

Ike Skelton is dead and Carl Levin is retiring...name someone else who is actually seriously interested in reform/national interest as opposed to some special interest group/pork when it comes to defense.

Right. Vanishingly small- I can't. I'm assuming that among 535 members there's got to be someone, but I'll be damned if I know who, as I don't work in Washington anymore.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

Not so much the US. If they could pick "helping the country right next to us sell oil for better prices on the international market" or "not helping then and getting that oil at a slightly lower price than standard" then the USA would pick #2.

I have no idea how this fits in with Republican politics. I imagine they are all for it, because some people on the other side were against it.

Republicans automatically support anything that environmentalists oppose. The alternative would be to agree with people who say that pollution is bad, and that'd be a political suicide.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtV4-tE-4GI

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJeqrvoF6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HjPOcVLOkI

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Republicans automatically support anything that environmentalists oppose. The alternative would be to agree with people who say that pollution is bad, and that'd be a political suicide.

To be fair pipelines have a better track record pollution - wise than the alternatives. It's not like the oil isn't going to be sold/used without this pipeline. Of course that probably has no bearing whatsoever on either side's opinion.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 9, 2014

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Oh hey look it's the Finowfurt petting zoo, had some great fun there as a kid 20 years ago. Their site has a neat virtual tour.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Veritek83 posted:

Right. Vanishingly small- I can't. I'm assuming that among 535 members there's got to be someone, but I'll be damned if I know who, as I don't work in Washington anymore.

There really isn't anyone right now. The industry is just too big, and it provides the kind of high-tech knowledge work and manufacturing jobs that most of the country is struggling to generate. Acquisition reform, if it does happen, will most probably happen through the Executive branch, as it was 50 years ago under McNamara. Don't get your hopes up, though - McNamara's reform was shoving the defense establishment in bed with the industry, getting them out would be much, much harder.

Congressional pressure can and has produced steps in the right direction for acquisition, but hasn't in a while. For example, the program that built the Spruance-class destroyers in the early 70s was almost entirely a product of McNamara's legacy, even down to the contract going to McNamara's close associates. In contrast, Congressional pressure distributed production of the FFG 7 to three separate shipyards in order to prop up a failing American shipbuilding industry. While government contracts couldn't save the industry (there are now only 3 major shipyards + the sub yard, owned by two companies), it produced a dramatically smoother acquisition process. While the Spruance (DD-963) and Tarawa (LHA-1) programs were painful, protracted and expensive, Oliver Hazard Perry (FFG-7) was practically pain free. So, yes, it is possible for Congress to make something to happen, it just hasn't in a while.

Still, keep your eye on a guy named Bob Work, who is our last, best hope for acquisition reform coming out of the Obama presidency. He's at the head of a small group of people who are starting to seriously look at changing what kinds of big-ticket items we buy and how we buy them.

(Also, a while back I posted an anecdote about the 1986 El Dorado Canyon raid. Upon review, no, we couldn't find evidence to support the pilot's claim as he told it, so we're going to change things accordingly)

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Red Crown posted:

The industry is just too big, and it provides the kind of high-tech knowledge work and manufacturing jobs that most of the country is struggling to generate.

This is a complete load of crap, as you would know if you went to a single college career fair where computer science grads are offered six digit salaries and massive benefits out of the box. There are more tech jobs than there are people qualified to fill them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

This is a complete load of crap, as you would know if you went to a single college career fair where computer science grads are offered six digit salaries and massive benefits out of the box. There are more tech jobs than there are people qualified to fill them.

If I get a computer science degree, I am guaranteed to immediately be offered six digit jobs as a brand new scrub? Guys, I'm going back to college tomorrow!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

If I get a computer science degree, I am guaranteed to immediately be offered six digit jobs as a brand new scrub? Guys, I'm going back to college tomorrow!

If you're qualified. Even mediocre to bad candidates generally pull at least $50-60k. When my company advertised a software engineer position for $80k plus bonus, 40 hours a week at Virginia Tech, George Mason, and Carnegie Mellon we got a grand total of 4 applicants over 3 months. 2 of those weren't even CS majors.

VVV I bet they all applied to more than one job, too, probably more than 4.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 9, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That's not a fast response rate, but the fact remains that you got four applicants for one position :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Mortabis acting like he know's what he's talking about is just always so precious :allears:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

No really, if you enjoy it at all get in on that poo poo.

mlmp08 posted:

That's not a fast response rate, but the fact remains that you got four applicants for one position :shrug:
I'll bet all 4 were poo poo, too.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

evil_bunnY posted:

The one we hired was the one who could tell us how to traverse a binary search tree in order during the interview. So, yes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

evil_bunnY posted:

No really, if you enjoy it at all get in on that poo poo.

Certainly a cs degree isn't a bad career track at all, but I was mostly posting knowing full well that mortabis' easy six figure for fresh college grads would get walked back to "if you're qualified and actually getting paid that straight out of college is not the most common result, terms and conditions apply." If the key to landing a job as a twenty-two year old that puts you in the top quintile of American household income was a basic four year degree from any reasonable state school, cs would be way more popular.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It sounds like a commercial for Fullsail or Neumont.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Red Crown posted:

Still, keep your eye on a guy named Bob Work, who is our last, best hope for acquisition reform coming out of the Obama presidency. He's at the head of a small group of people who are starting to seriously look at changing what kinds of big-ticket items we buy and how we buy them.

I've read some stuff by him or by friends/colleagues of his. Interesting stuff.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Mortabis posted:

As someone whose father has been an engineer at a AAA software company for fifteen years, and as someone who narrowly avoided a career in the same field, I can tell you the jobs are going to India and Romania so fast it'll be a minor miracle if anything worth a drat is left by the time you get your GED.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Sperglord Actual posted:

As someone whose father has been an engineer at a AAA software company for fifteen years, and as someone who narrowly avoided a career in the same field, I can tell you the jobs are going to India and Romania so fast it'll be a minor miracle if anything worth a drat is left by the time you get your GED.

This is, strictly speaking, accurate because the heat death of the universe will happen before I get a GED. It would be quite useless next to my bachelor's degree.

As someone who actually personally works in the career field I can tell you that if the jobs were all going to India it wouldn't be so loving hard for us to find people to come work for us for less than a small fortune. Ironically, the programmer we hired is an Indian immigrant.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

This is, strictly speaking, accurate because the heat death of the universe will happen before I get a GED. It would be quite useless next to my bachelor's degree.

As someone who actually personally works in the career field I can tell you that if the jobs were all going to India it wouldn't be so loving hard for us to find people to come work for us for less than a small fortune. Ironically, the programmer we hired is an Indian immigrant.

My ex is/was in IT for the state. Most of their development work is contracted out, and both of their main companies have been moving to India over a period of a couple of years.

Obviously it's not all there now, but it's drifting there. Congrats on having the strategic outlook of 1970 General Motors.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sperglord Actual posted:

Not quite. If you've been moderately 'good' and can get clearances the defense industry will snap you up pretty quick. They are hurting for Comp Sci grads. You're not going to make six figures out of the gate, but within 5-10 years its not out of the question.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Mortabis posted:

It would be quite useless next to my bachelor's degree.

Now you're just making poo poo up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm in the biz and it seems like the offshoring has reached an equilibrium where it's not really expanding that much and there are still lots of jobs for local folks. There's a limit for how useful it becomes given language and cultural differences with often times in the end it's easier to just do it locally and you get a better result. The offshoring isn't going away but it's not a threat to jobs here like people feared, imo.

That said no one should go into a field just because there happen to be jobs in that area. There's a happy balance between everyone graduating with humanities degrees with limited job prospects and everyone going into technical fields.

If I were to do it again I'd still do my engineering degree but also get some marketing/sales knowledge. Sales/marketing guys with real technical backgrounds have outstanding prospects, and can move up the ladder to exec type positions really easily. Engineers just get stuck in the lab or forced into managing other engineers, fate worse than death right there.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Just to put in my 2c I'm graduating with a Computer Science/Statistics double degree in the spring. I have multiple job offers with six digit salaries, and I'm turning down interview requests because I don't have time for them all. It's disgustingly easy to find work with a CS degree. :shrug:

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Certainly a cs degree isn't a bad career track at all, but I was mostly posting knowing full well that mortabis' easy six figure for fresh college grads would get walked back to "if you're qualified and actually getting paid that straight out of college is not the most common result, terms and conditions apply." If the key to landing a job as a twenty-two year old that puts you in the top quintile of American household income was a basic four year degree from any reasonable state school, cs would be way more popular.

CS would be more popular if people could hack it. Finding someone who can understand the discrete math and logic that goes into computer science, and can reason about code, correctness, and runtime/space complexity rather than just being able to throw together a Python program that kinda sorta does what you want it to do, probably, is really hard. The dropout rates from CS at my school are ridiculous. There just aren't enough people who are good enough at math to really get it. There's a terminology problem here where someone who writes code and someone who designs algorithms and software are both "software engineers", but it's often akin to the difference between a bricklayer and an architect.

EDIT: Also, Sperglord, none of the major technology companies (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, etc) do much in the way of outsourcing, if at all. The outsourced engineers usually just aren't good enough. Actually, it's much more often the case that people from the traditional "outsource" countries like India and China come here to learn CS and then stay here because the job prospects are so much better.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 9, 2014

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Generation Internet posted:

God, that single engine looks really weird landing on a carrier to me for some reason. Are there any other single-engine carrier planes?

How about 4 engine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The real easy money is in network infrastructure, what with everyone going crazy and :circlefap: about cloud computing; I've never had it so good.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 9, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

priznat posted:

I'm in the biz and it seems like the offshoring has reached an equilibrium where it's not really expanding that much and there are still lots of jobs for local folks. There's a limit for how useful it becomes given language and cultural differences with often times in the end it's easier to just do it locally and you get a better result. The offshoring isn't going away but it's not a threat to jobs here like people feared, imo.

I've also been reading a lot about really horrible quality control issues in a lot of Asian universities, especially when you get into the non-flagship regional universities; basically the Chinese and Indian equivalent of our land grant schools. Problems with people getting promoted through the programs and netting a degree on the other side without actually mastering the material to a level where they're of any use to the firms that want to hire them. With the ever-accelerating commoditization of education in the US I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get there in a few years myself, but that's another bitch for another subforum.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've also been reading a lot about really horrible quality control issues in a lot of Asian universities, especially when you get into the non-flagship regional universities; basically the Chinese and Indian equivalent of our land grant schools. Problems with people getting promoted through the programs and netting a degree on the other side without actually mastering the material to a level where they're of any use to the firms that want to hire them. With the ever-accelerating commoditization of education in the US I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get there in a few years myself, but that's another bitch for another subforum.

Yeah, a lot of my friends are Chinese exchange students. They tell me that they come to the US because apart from the very top tier colleges, Chinese university is basically glorified daycare. And even the top universities aren't nearly as good as the top or even middle-top tier in the US.

Sperglord Actual posted:

Now you're just making poo poo up.

Jesus. Wow. Do you have sand in your vagina? To be quite honest, "narrowly avoided" sounds to me like you flunked out of Discrete I.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Hauldren Collider posted:

Also, Sperglord, none of the major technology companies (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, etc) do much in the way of outsourcing, if at all. The outsourced engineers usually just aren't good enough.

I would name at least one major tech company that does, except my father still works there and is (probably rightly) very paranoid about his job security. I will say that his time there has involved an inordinate amount of fixing broken code sent in from said company's overseas branches.

But eh, I suppose theoretically he could just be working for the worst of the west coast software factories. :shrug:

Jesus. Wow. Do you have sand in your vagina? To be quite honest, "narrowly avoided" sounds to me like you flunked out of Discrete I.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the illustrious career of forums poster Mortabis. For the record, I got straight As in the compsci classes I took, but found writing code to be extremely stressful and decided I didn't want to end up bitter and frustrated like my dad. So I changed my major and went on to do other things.

Somebody Awful fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 9, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the illustrious career of forums poster Mortabis. For the record, I got straight As in the compsci classes I took, but found writing code to be extremely stressful and decided I didn't want to end up bitter and frustrated like my dad. So I changed my major and went on to do other things.
I've been lurking this thread for a while for the cool airplane pictures, which have been unfortunately sparse as of late. Mortabis really doesn't seem like a high school dropout to me, does he really seem like one to you?

Anyway, here is a plane picture for content:

EDIT:

Sperglord Actual posted:

I would name at least one major tech company that does, except my father still works there and is (probably rightly) very paranoid about his job security. I will say that his time there has involved an inordinate amount of fixing broken code sent in from said company's overseas branches.

That's what I hear as well. One company I got an offer from is not primarily a tech company but is apparently hiring 2000(TWO THOUSAND!) technology employees, including hundreds of software engineers straight out of college, over the next 24 months because they are trying to insource all the stuff they previously outsourced overseas and got ridiculously burned for doing so. A lot of companies can get away with lower-quality outsourced engineers, and that's perfectly fine. There's a market for that. Any company that does most of its business electronically needs a higher caliber, and for that, there's only a few countries you can go to, with (from what I understand) the US, UK, and Israel being the top 3 by a wide margin. And those 3 countries just aren't producing graduates at a fast enough rate to fill the demand. Mostly because people with the requisite skills are just plain hard to find.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 9, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Red Crown posted:

So in other words, he shouldn't go on any business trips that require flying, and should generally avoid driving, too.

...not that the D-I base would feel threatened at all by him.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 9, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I've been lurking this thread for a while for the cool airplane pictures, which have been unfortunately sparse as of late.

I can do that. Well, okay, coolness not guaranteed.

MCAS Miramar had an airshow last month!

German Panavia Tornado with cool New Mexico-inspired (?) tail graphics visiting the static park.

The P-63 is a pretty rare warbird, luckily this one is local to Southern California.

Just happy to be here.

The aerobatic Sabreliner was pretty neat.

Harrier. It's too bad everything was backlit.

Apparently the last airshow in the country for these.

CH-53Es are impressive.

Seems like they should have all been singing or something.

Marine everything demo.

"Patriots" civilian jet team with Aero L-39s

BEHOLD AND TREMBLE

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

German Panavia Tornado with cool New Mexico-inspired (?) tail graphics visiting the static park.

FWIW, they train at Holloman AFB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holloman_Air_Force_Base#German_Air_Force_Flying_Training_Center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

oh look Mortabis's horrid opinions have hosed up yet another thread