Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

marktheando posted:

Talking about Seb, someone who saw an early screening said the revelation of who he was would blow your mind. But he was just a computer interface right? What did he say before he squeed?

"Permission to Squee?"

Seb was fandom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DoctorWhat posted:

"Permission to Squee?"

Seb was fandom.

I thought it was pretty funny The Master blew him up immediately for it too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

RBA Starblade posted:

Basically everything that Missy did was goddamn hysterical (except for murdering Osgood, and everything LEADING to that was pretty funny too).

I really really hope Moffat pulls through and Missy pulls an Ainley.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

RBA Starblade posted:

She vaped Osgood the cosplayer too. She clearly doesn't think much of the fans.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

surc posted:

E: And I swear, I'm done who-hating, this season just ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh could have gone so many places, and instead shat on itself and rolled around in it.

I'd have to disagree with this statement, but only out of personal enjoyment. I only found one episode meh - the moon egg one, and only one that was bad - the forest in London. I liked more of this season than I have since Smith's 1st one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Barry Foster posted:

She vaped Osgood the cosplayer too. She clearly doesn't think much of the fans.

That's why she's good.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Moffat really loves insulting his fans, eh

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What fan of Doctor Who would be insulted by getting killed by the Master?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well yeah I got that he was fandom from the squeeing, just assumed there had to be more to it since it was meant to be mind blowing. I guess some people's minds get blown very easily.

thexerox123 posted:

What fan of Doctor Who would be insulted by getting killed by the Master?

Depends on which one, I'd be insulted to get killed by Eric Roberts.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Considering the fan base, its well deserved.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

marktheando posted:

Well yeah I got that he was fandom from the squeeing, just assumed there had to be more to it since it was meant to be mind blowing. I guess some people's minds get blown very easily.

That mind-blowing thing was probably just hype. No one was ever going to say "when you find out Seb's true nature, you'll go 'eh, whatever'".

Also literally nothing else about the character suggested he was a metaphor for fandom or anything else. (If I'm wrong about this, please by all means give me examples.) Sometimes a squee is just a squee.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

Depends on which one, I'd be insulted to get killed by Eric Roberts.

Rest assured that he would dreeeezzzz for the occasion.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

And if they watched Love and Monsters

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Spikeguy posted:

I'd have to disagree with this statement, but only out of personal enjoyment. I only found one episode meh - the moon egg one, and only one that was bad - the forest in London. I liked more of this season than I have since Smith's 1st one.

Aside from the two great episodes by the new guy in the middle of the season I think pretty much every episode had ranged from 'ok at best' to 'terrible shite', the most egregiously bad ones being the opener, the moon egg one, and the forest one.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

Yeah I agree, overall I thought this was the best season since the revival's fifth (though that may be damning with faint praise...). Flatline must easily rank amongst my top ten of the revival.

I really hope Gomez comes back. Her Master is a great counter to Capaldi's Doctor (I noted they played up her Scottish accent this episode) and I'd very happy to see her as a recurring villain.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
On the whole, this was probably a little better than the previous station, i think.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

The problem with the Osgood death is that it's crassly manipulative. They wanted an established character to die to make the Master a serious threat but they weren't willing to do it to anyone actually "important" because they might need them in future.

Danny wasn't important either, he was introduced in the season so he could die in the season. Everything about him was just designed to calibrate his death to the level of emotionality they desired.

If they really wanted to up the stakes they would for real kill Clara, or Kate. Be bold, not just killing unimportant ancillary characters and actually make a commitment and unexpectedly and permanently kill a person no one expects.

They wanted to have their cake and eat it and it annoys me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lipset and Rock On posted:

Yeah I agree, overall I thought this was the best season since the revival's fifth (though that may be damning with faint praise...).

Yeah pretty much. Series 6 and 7 were so bad, that this pretty ok series seems great in comparison.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Okay, okay, I watched ALL OF THAT and it left me with one single question:

In the Doctor's flashback to Rusty telling him he would make a good Dalek, Rusty's voiceover was labeled on the BBC iPlayer captions as "Davros." Was there, uh... Was there a reason for that? Because I think at this point, anything goes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ratspeaker posted:

Okay, okay, I watched ALL OF THAT and it left me with one single question:

In the Doctor's flashback to Rusty telling him he would make a good Dalek, Rusty's voiceover was labeled on the BBC iPlayer captions as "Davros." Was there, uh... Was there a reason for that? Because I think at this point, anything goes.

Yeah, they fired the guy who did all the good captions.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DoctorWhat posted:

"Permission to Squee?"

Seb was fandom.

Permission DENIED. :commissar:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Metal Loaf posted:

Rest assured that he would dreeeezzzz for the occasion.

Well, it could be worse. You could be the Asian Child.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xachariah posted:

If they really wanted to up the stakes they would for real kill Clara, or Kate. Be bold, not just killing unimportant ancillary characters and actually make a commitment and unexpectedly and permanently kill a person no one expects.

I expect that for most nuwho fans, cute nerdy asthma girl is as important as Kate, maybe more important.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

I expect that for most nuwho fans, cute nerdy asthma girl is as important as Kate, maybe more important.

I don't really care for either of them. But Kate's existence was a better tribute to her dad than loving CyberBrig.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They have intelligent computers in the Doctor Who universe :aaaaa:

Nobody will believe me when I tell them that Seb is WOTAN :smith:

You just watch, the Master's coming back with an army of War Machines behind her!

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I would also like to say I hope they do that "overlay current Doctor's theme with previous Doctor's theme" thing they did once a Doctor from here on out. For every Doctor, but only once.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I figured the beginning of the two-parter would answer the whole "we're gonna do something about Fires of Pompeii!!" but boy was I wrong. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Aurora posted:

I figured the beginning of the two-parter would answer the whole "we're gonna do something about Fires of Pompeii!!" but boy was I wrong. :v:

When are they answer the whole "we're gonna do something about Arc of Infinity", that's what I want to know

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't really care for either of them. But Kate's existence was a better tribute to her dad than loving CyberBrig.

For new fans, Brig is just some guy from the Doctor's distant past who they don't care about at all. Kate is a bossy lady they are supposed to care about because she's related to that guy they don't care about. UNIT is just not-evil Torchwood, it isn't a uniquely important organization to them.

For those fans, having Kate die wouldn't mean much at all.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

For new fans, Brig is just some guy from the Doctor's distant past who they don't care about at all. Kate is a bossy lady they are supposed to care about because she's related to that guy they don't care about. UNIT is just not-evil Torchwood, it isn't a uniquely important organization to them.

For those fans, having Kate die wouldn't mean much at all.

Harkness' Torchwood isn't evil either. UNIT is alien-researching military, Torchwood is alien-researching secret service. Why they seem to be working completely past each other is one of the many mysteries of Doctor Who. Well, okay, Martha worked for both.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 9, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Harkness' Torchwood isn't evil either. UNIT is alien-researching military, Torchwood is alien-researching secret service. Why they seem to be working completely past each other is one of the many mysteries of Doctor Who.

That sounds pretty realistic actually

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

When are they answer the whole "we're gonna do something about Arc of Infinity", that's what I want to know

It's too late for the BBC to fire up the incinerator.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To me, a new fan, UNIT seems like XCOM if XCOM never did anything ever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

To me, a new fan, UNIT seems like XCOM if XCOM never did anything ever.

Oh, so it's like when I play XCOM

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Carbon dioxide posted:

Harkness' Torchwood isn't evil either. UNIT is alien-researching military, Torchwood is alien-researching secret service. Why they seem to be working completely past each other is one of the many mysteries of Doctor Who. Well, okay, Martha worked for both.

Eh, Harkness' Torchwood is barely Torchwood at all anymore, it's just a single small field office. The evil huge national program was destroyed.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Basically everything that Missy did was goddamn hysterical (except for murdering Osgood, and everything LEADING to that was pretty funny too).

I really really hope Moffat pulls through and Missy pulls an Ainley.

I liked Osgood, but I did laugh all the way through the process. The little teasing, bullying torment, the heartless handwave of her plea to continue living, and then, after vaporizing her, stomping on her glasses. The Master just did everything so gleefully that it was darkly contagious. I agree that I hope she comes back, she'd probably bolster a weak story to being tolerable and a good story to being great. I'm surprised to see so many people hated this season or even thought it was it mediocre. I definitely disagree! I think it was my favorite season since season 5.

The first few episodes were a bit weak in that they expected us to work on information from future episode with regard to the Doctor and Clara's relationship, which just left it feeling a bit uncomfortable, and they were awkwardly paced in a similar to way to the back half of season 7. After that, it picked up a little though, and dealt with the Doctor's identity crisis and made him question himself in a way that they haven't since before the Tenth Doctor. I think Clara's departure, in which she lies to the Doctor to spare his feelings, is her final statement of independence and equality. She enjoyed traveling with him, but she needs to be her own person. I hope they don't ruin it too much in the Christmas special.

I hope Season 9 is a little less dark and that the new companion (I assume there will be a new one after Christmas, anyway), gets along with the Doctor a bit better, though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

pointlessly bringing back a character who already had a touching send off that ended their story nicely. And actually the new addition is kind of horrific when you think about it.
Moffat just did a Rose to the brigadier

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think the only thing that would make the Cyber Brigadier okay for me is if he got his own CyberUNIT and went around saving planets.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Loved Gomez as the Master, I will be so sad if she doesn't return.

On the other hand, parts of this episode were so clunky I kept waiting for the title card "CYBER-DANNY AND CYBER-BRIGADIER DIED ON THE WAY TO THEIR HOME PLANET"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I don't know, I feel that doing anything with the Brig is really the equivalent of digging up Liz and propping her up in a chair for a cameo.

He's done. You paid respects now be respectful.

• Locked thread