Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Today I've learned that when playing with shattered worlds, your most powerful CB is asking politely:

Once you've got a kingdom, basically any co-religion count will accept an offer of vassalisation so long as they're neighbouring one of your current vassals. Then when they join up, you ask THEIR neighbours, and so on and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Volkerball posted:

That would be awesome. Norse Byzantines. :getin: I think the biggest thing that would help make it really unique would be custom designing the map specifically for a tribal, scattered world. It seems things like to lag in the beginning because there's so many stalemates across the map. Northern Africa is the perfect example. None of those counties ever seems to get a leg up on another. Maybe upgrading holdings in certain counties, or strategically tossing in a handful of double counts and dukes would get things moving instantly. I'd just worry you'd have a religion and an empire formed when 70% of the map is still just tribal counties. It would need a jumpstart so it isn't so ridiculously easily to be twice as strong as the next strongest title holder.

I think a cool way to do this is to have an option to randomly assign some leaders as 'lucky', it's an option some other mods I've seen use and means they're more likely to become powerful and interesting than other dudes.

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
Historcally they didn't expand much in north africa. but there are mods to change things like this.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If I want to cheat away gavelkind, how do I do it for non primary kingdoms? Or is the answer, make an empire?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Elendil004 posted:

If I want to cheat away gavelkind, how do I do it for non primary kingdoms? Or is the answer, make an empire?

Switch it to your primary, change the law, switch back.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Switch it to your primary, change the law, switch back.

herp derp

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
If I'm playing a tribal leader with two duchy titles is there any way I can keep both after he dies? Or at the very least is there a way I can make sure the second heir remains a vassal of the first?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Two people of equal rank can't have a lord-vassal contract, so if they are both going to be dukes either there will be two duchies or one is going to have to have an unfortunate accident through some method.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the restrictions on female rulers is ridiculous.

Like Tournaments, can't fight? Why not an event chain for choosing a champion (relations boost, possible lovers status, etc.)

And hunting makes even less sense. While they didn't hunt boar or bears, they often went with men on trips and practiced falconry. We don't want 1:1 realism, we want fun while throwing the train of history off the drat tracks.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think I'm doing much better this time around. Started as a designed super-viking taking the place of Ivar's Dublin vassal, rapidly got out from under him (By accident, turns out creating a duchy title automatically makes you independent when your liege is only a duke-equivalent himself) and into the Kingdom of Irland, and just finished a planned invasion of Frisia to get my hands on the Zeeland holy site around 890. That went surprisingly well, since Lotharingia was in the tail end of a couple of wars against people who were not me, and my children started coming of age during the war, allowing me to rapidly marry them off and secure some alliances for bonus manpower.

The only problem was that my king was specifically made for besieging, and whenever an ally showed up they'd "helpfully" take over the siege and halve the morale damage I was doing. And also while I was in the middle of the war the entirety of East Francia turned into West Francia, which does not bode well for future holy site conquest.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Am I the only person who thinks Grand Tournaments aren't worth ever having? Grand Tournaments in general are not that interesting or worth doing simply because of the low value and level of interaction in them. The prestige reward is usually not worth it for the gold which can be invested better elsewhere, and the fact that there are no ways you can do anything with them beyond hold them makes them simply boring. They might be more useful now in CM with tribals for the , but I am not sure they can hold them.

A big problem is that they don't feel like they take into account the dynamics of the characters involved enough. Some dudes enter, a few win, one nameless dude gets wounded and you gain like 15 relationship bonus points with some vassals. There are loads more factors that could be at play here.

Got a high intrigue score? Use it to set up an assassination. Duke you want dead enters the tournament, and you just happen to set him up to face the best martial in the realm where a slip up in communication causes him to not notice a surrender and then sticks the Duke with a pointy end, and the martial walks away with a pocket full of coin. If the martial is deceitful he might betray you, if he is greedy he might ask more money for the job, if he is arbitrary or cruel he might do it for free. Asking a just martial will make him gain a massive opinion malus and might make him inform the Duke of your suggestion.

Tournaments also mean a lot of guests, and probably husbands and wives of the local lords. Some dukes and duchesses might just see it as a chance to sleep around, and so might you. Lustful could see some use and children might be born a suspicious 9 months later. A funny twist on this might be for children born from a tournament foray might be for them to have a higher than average martial skill.

A weak participant does unususally well, and the last round ends with a screwy end could have been a backdoor rig between finalists. You could choose to investigate it with the spymaster and maybe have them both imprisoned for cheating (whether they did or not), and pocket the winnings for yourself. If they were cheating, you get a hefty prestige boost, maybe a chance of a good trait and to keep the gold, or maybe hold another final round between the other lower positions. If you were just being a dick and wanted to pocket the winnings yourself and your spymaster sucks, word might get out and you wind up with a massive dishonourable and arbitrary malus.

Obviously a tournament would have breaks between rounds. Why not time for some more decisions? You could have some of your honourary titles provide some action, which considering they never do much would be a nice change. The master of the horse might have the opportunity to organise a show with some riders (which might get bonus opinion, a friend, or a disaster), the master of the hunt might have an opportunity to go out and organise a hunt for a feast during the tournament for the nights festivities. The high almoner might disapprove of the violence of a tournament, and drop your temple opinions, along with the court chaplain. Unless you had a high learning, in which case you might be able to justify it.

There are so many chances for some more decisions, intrigue and action in tournaments that are just missed out on. Considering a tournament costs 200 ducats, there is very little functionality for it. You just kinda click it, watch it happen, get a few minor boosts and it ends. This is a game made around decisions, personal politics and vassal management. All of these elements are missing from the tournament past a very superficial level.

As it is, I kinda have a hard time justifying the cost of a tournament to myself. The cost is too high for what little I get from it, and the actual interactivity and fun involved with doing them does nothing to offset that.

I would kinda like to see Paradox revamp them and maybe include some more fun events like this.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

Another Person posted:

Am I the only person who thinks Grand Tournaments aren't worth ever having?

No, I basically agree with all of that. It all seems fairly random. I occasionally have them when I'm working on a prestige ambition and have money to burn, but generally they're not worth it.

I'd rather have tournaments become a yearly decision like feats/hunts/fairs, or at least a decision for every few years like the pagan festivals. The main question, though, is what it's for - hunting already fills the niche of "events to gain temporary martial ability and possibly become injured/dead," which sounds a bit like what you'd expect from a tournament.

Of course, summer fairs don't really have any discernible niche, so maybe that's not an issue.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Summer Fairs are useful for some quick and cheap repeatable prestige for a new ruler, so they are alright in my book but they could definitely be improved. They are good for securing stability, especially as a small one or two county Count who just took over.

Grand Tournaments are usually something you can only really hold in an already stable kingdom though, because if you are a new lord there are definitely better ways to get opinion than the tournament, namely by giving out that 200 gold to individual dukes and counts to get opinion boosts, or by hiring mercs to raise your army count and so on. You can't hold a tournament without already having 500 prestige, so it can't be used to quickly give you a boost to put you into positives with a new ruler, or to get a slightly higher prestige based opinion boost. If you really had low prestige and needed to boost it, you could spend that 200 gold on mercs, declare a war to put one of your courtiers on some throne outside the realm and get a nice prestige boost that way if you were really desperate.

As is, tournaments don't really serve any purpose. I'm not sure that grand tournaments should be moved from being once in a lifetime though.

Although, they could add in regular tournaments that need less gold and less prestige to hold. Maybe like 50 gold and 100 prestige. I even have a good use for them. They should serve as a good way to find unlanded courtiers with a good martial skill. Rather than how grand tournaments work, where you have a load of pre-existing vassals who enter, a minor tournament could serve as a way of generating new courtiers with decent to high martial, trending towards the a bit above average range in odds of generation. You hold the tournament, get a small prestige bump and get a opinion boost with your direct holding vassals and then the winner of the tournament appears in your court. It would be a good way of getting a new marshal or a military flank leader.

Grand tournaments should be a way for the player to hinder or boost the vassals below them. A chance to wound, maim or kill a pesky duke who is too powerful for their own good. An opportunity to make a friend (also, why is it so hard for you to actually get a friend in this?) or make a rival. A shot to make a quick buck. Infact, a cool idea would be to rig the contest so that you yourself win it, or the heir to the throne. It should come with a nice little trait of 'Champion', which gives the character bonus martial and diplomacy, as well as a nice chunk of ticking prestige and maybe some monthly income. Hell, throw in with it a boosted fertility rate too, and a higher likliehood to take on lovers. But even i a rigged tournament, it should run with the chance to have the backed participant killed. It should also give out a trait to whoever comes second of 'Second Place', which gives a martial boost, a minor ticking prestige boost, and an instant rivalry with first place, unless you rigged it somehow.

Grand Tournaments should be a way of shaking things up and breaking the tedium of waiting around with an expanse of nothing to do, which is the only time I hold them. Give them a nice chance of rewarding the player, and a chance of biting them too.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 9, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So I've just finished my first game since Charlemagne came out, although I was playing from the Old Gods start. I wouldn't say it's all that hard to create a new huge empire. This is also my first ever game vanilla, with no CK2+. It definitely felt easier!

is my glorious hispanic empire. Most of the stuff to the east of my Syria was the Golden horde who just totally fell to bits after converting to Zikrid.
is the religious situation. Orthodox Rome!
and I think the spread of culture is crazily fast. Visigothic London: Experiencing it as it was.

The abbasids only died because I logged in as them a few times and did stupid things but the Mongols was the final straw for them, thankfully. I never got the Seljuk or Timurid events, not sure why. There were some really strange things too - the Abbasids lost Abyssinia to a revolt. The revolt spread up and got most of Nubia too. Not long after the next time I looked it was all Abbasid again.

I think like someone said earlier it's also too easy for the Russians to convert to Catholicism instead of Orthodoxy which is a shame.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 9, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its kinda weird that you can do all sorts of historically absurd poo poo, like converting the Golden Horde to Judaism, but you cant have absolute cognatic France without modding the game.

Not related: might be a coincidence or a bug, but Ive created 2 merchant republic vassals in my empire and I noticed that everytime their ruler dies, his house dies with him. They never seems to be able to elect their heirs, so when they die, the house dies and a new one is born.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Looks like the Russian Steppe turned completely insane after the latest beta patch. Everyone is attacking everyone else all the time. You can't really expand anymore since you're constantly fighting off the tribal bandwagon when you declare on somebody.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Today I've learned that when playing with shattered worlds, your most powerful CB is asking politely:

Once you've got a kingdom, basically any co-religion count will accept an offer of vassalisation so long as they're neighbouring one of your current vassals. Then when they join up, you ask THEIR neighbours, and so on and so on.

This is what busts that mod for me - you already have to reign yourself in when playing vanilla, shattered world exacerbates this a hundredfold.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its kinda weird that you can do all sorts of historically absurd poo poo, like converting the Golden Horde to Judaism, but you cant have absolute cognatic France without modding the game.

Not related: might be a coincidence or a bug, but Ive created 2 merchant republic vassals in my empire and I noticed that everytime their ruler dies, his house dies with him. They never seems to be able to elect their heirs, so when they die, the house dies and a new one is born.

Technically you can if you convert to Cathar (which historically originated in France didn't it?). Although yeah, I get what you're saying.

What might be interesting is if they made feminism a "de jure" kind of thing - enough time as absolute cognatic or under enough consecutive female rulers and people don't mind having women in more important roles - enabling full appointment to council positions and maybe even unlocking enatic succession options.

Also that issue with houses constantly dying out tends to happen for a bit after creating a merchant republic since patricians often have trouble getting their dynasties off the ground. It tends to stop after a few generations once they've bred enough males to widen their family trees a bit. Actually related to Merchant Republics and female rulers - I get why they have female Doges disabled because of the inheritance issue if the doges of two different republics were married (Although it seems like they could just disallow that from happening, and force a divorce if one is a doge and the other inherits a doge title), but how come you can't have your own daughters/sisters/whoever matrilineally marry other people to expand your dynasty? Female dynasty members end up just kind of taking up space in your court as it is now.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Technically you can if you convert to Cathar (which historically originated in France didn't it?). Although yeah, I get what you're saying.

What might be interesting is if they made feminism a "de jure" kind of thing - enough time as absolute cognatic or under enough consecutive female rulers and people don't mind having women in more important roles - enabling full appointment to council positions and maybe even unlocking enatic succession options.

Also that issue with houses constantly dying out tends to happen for a bit after creating a merchant republic since patricians often have trouble getting their dynasties off the ground. It tends to stop after a few generations once they've bred enough males to widen their family trees a bit. Actually related to Merchant Republics and female rulers - I get why they have female Doges disabled because of the inheritance issue if the doges of two different republics were married (Although it seems like they could just disallow that from happening, and force a divorce if one is a doge and the other inherits a doge title), but how come you can't have your own daughters/sisters/whoever matrilineally marry other people to expand your dynasty? Female dynasty members end up just kind of taking up space in your court as it is now.

+ing all of this

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I get why they have female Doges disabled because of the inheritance issue if the doges of two different republics were married.

I don't understand the problem here. The ruler is elected from the five patrician families and since any child would only be the member of either family, it could only be elected in one of th two republics.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I started changing the colors of various titles in CK2 to their EU3/4 counterparts. And changing around a few de jure borders, and adding in a few more cultures, and a little defines.lua tweak, and...

Kingdoms:

Duchies:

Some of it's fudged-- Aquintaine uses EU4 Guyenne's color, and Andalusia rather than the Duchy of Granada uses EU4 Granada's color, but it looks rather nice so far overall.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

e X posted:

I don't understand the problem here. The ruler is elected from the five patrician families and since any child would only be the member of either family, it could only be elected in one of th two republics.

Had to look up the video where he says it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7tNH_lsG3w&t=80s

He says he has nothing against the idea it's just a mess gameplay wise, but its not out of the question.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Did a new Beta patch just come out? When I fired up Steam 25 minutes ago it downloaded 25.6 Mb of something for Crusader Kings II. That seems like the right size for a patch.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Hahaha holy poo poo Paradox.

I was cruising along as Nestorian Bohemia, just having adopted feudalism. Then a revolt appeared, I lost to it and they stole Praha, WHICH KNOCKED ME BACK INTO TRIBALISM! Now I can't even re-adopt feudalism because I can't switch my capital to the castle of Praha.

:negative:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo Paradox.

I was cruising along as Nestorian Bohemia, just having adopted feudalism. Then a revolt appeared, I lost to it and they stole Praha, WHICH KNOCKED ME BACK INTO TRIBALISM! Now I can't even re-adopt feudalism because I can't switch my capital to the castle of Praha.

:negative:

All you need now is your genius son dying before reaching the age of six, so your your inbred cousin inherits the throne and you have the perfect Crusader Kings experience.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

e X posted:

No family can hold two Republic titles is the problem. I remember this coming up in the "Gold Rules the World" Paradox LP.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hahaha, what fun!

I started up a new game as Venice and, for the hell of it, decided to swear fealty to the Byzantine Empire so that I could expand happily under the protection of one of the world's strongest empires. Well, that seems to have done something wacky to the Byzantines, because their attention has turned solidly Westward -- they've taken Italy and almost all of the territory of the German heartland. Meanwhile, in the east, the Abbasids have pretty much overrun Anatolia.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I have Attenuated Ireland Syndrome co-morbid with Perforated Lotharingia. :( I'm starting to see why some of you are OCD about borders, because I have no idea what to do with my scattered bits of Scandinavia. I got those and the bits of England through Subjugation of Sigurdr Snake-in-the-Eye's Denmark. I never actually attacked Denmark, since I had 20,000 dudes and around 30 ships. Still, it got me the Fylkirate, so I can't complain too hard.

Also, France is currently a mix of HRE and Holy Roman Revolt, so I should probably see about taking some of that for myself.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

No family can hold two Republic titles is the problem. I remember this coming up in the "Gold Rules the World" Paradox LP.

Maybe they should put a restriction on the...what would you call it, non-dominant partner in a marriage cant be designated heir? (I.e. in a normal marriage a woman cant run, in matrilineal a man cant). To prevent getting around that, not let you make the "wrong" marriage if youre already Doge? Would probably require extra coding though.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

But how can one family hold two family titles given that only a member of the original family can inherit? Intermarrying shouldn't be a problem because patricians are chosen by seniority, so even if two family heads married their children could only ever be allowed to inherit one of their houses.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Youre thinking backwards, what if someone was Doge, unmarried and they married another Doge?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

BBJoey posted:

But how can one family hold two family titles given that only a member of the original family can inherit? Intermarrying shouldn't be a problem because patricians are chosen by seniority, so even if two family heads married their children could only ever be allowed to inherit one of their houses.

But if the off-chance that both houses are chosen for the different titles wacky poo poo happens.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Maybe they should put a restriction on the...what would you call it, non-dominant partner in a marriage cant be designated heir? (I.e. in a normal marriage a woman cant run, in matrilineal a man cant). To prevent getting around that, not let you make the "wrong" marriage if youre already Doge? Would probably require extra coding though.

That might work, but would probably require a lot of work just to implement.

:siren:Modding question:siren:: Is there a reason why some titles wont go under their ordered liege? I've made the same chain of code in the history files for each title that puts it under their historical duchy liege, followed by their king liege, then their emperor liege. However once I start the game, half of them will show up independent. I've got no idea what's going on here.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

But if the off-chance that both houses are chosen for the different titles wacky poo poo happens.

Uhm no, since only members of the five Patrician families can become Doge. Okay, an example:

Let's take Genoa and Venice. Venice has the five patrician families 1-5 and Genoa has the families A-E. When the old ruler dies, a new Doge is elected from one of those five families, no outsider. Now, the two Doges marry each other. If Doge 3 of Venice and Dogina A of Genoa marry patrilineal, their children will belong to the 3 family and only be electable in Venice. If they marry matrilineal, their children will be of the A family and only electable in Genoa. So, their children will ever only be electable in either Republic, but never in both.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 9, 2014

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Im okay with women not being able to be Doge, it's just there should be something to do with your daughters. I don't think it makes much sense you can't marry off a daughter to rope in some wealthy banker/business genius into your family business.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

e X posted:

Uhm no, since only members of the five Patrician families can become Doge. Okay, an example:

Let's take Genoa and Venice. Venice has the five patrician families 1-5 and Genoa has the families A-E. When the old ruler dies, a new Doge is elected from one of those five families, no outsider. Now, the two Doges marry each other. If Doge 3 of Venice and Dogina A of Genoa marry patrilineal, their children will belong to the 3 family and only be electable in Venice. If they marry matrilineal, their children will be of the A family and only electable in Genoa. So, their children will ever only be electable in either Republic, but never in both.

Patrician Elective has no restrictions on who can be Doge when it comes to familial ties I'm pretty sure. The son/daughter of Genoa and Venice would have eligibility for both titles.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Patrician Elective has no restrictions on who can be Doge when it comes to familial ties I'm pretty sure. The son/daughter of Genoa and Venice would have eligibility for both titles.

You have to be a member of the dynasty to be eligible, as evidenced by bastards not being eligible.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Patrician elective chooses from among the heir of the current doge and the four other family heads, who are in turn selected via agnatic seniority. Seniority succession can never choose someone from another dynasty, even if that someone is the child of the current title holder. You can overrule the selection with the designated heir title, but that can only be bestowed on proper dynasty members as well.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

:siren:Modding question:siren:: Is there a reason why some titles wont go under their ordered liege? I've made the same chain of code in the history files for each title that puts it under their historical duchy liege, followed by their king liege, then their emperor liege. However once I start the game, half of them will show up independent. I've got no idea what's going on here.

Answering my own question. I ran the Validator and low and behold I kept typing "e_byzantine" instead of "e_byzantium" :argh:.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mygna posted:

Patrician elective chooses from among the heir of the current doge and the four other family heads, who are in turn selected via agnatic seniority. Seniority succession can never choose someone from another dynasty, even if that someone is the child of the current title holder. You can overrule the selection with the designated heir title, but that can only be bestowed on proper dynasty members as well.

I think the issue is that while this is the default behaviour, there's nothing stopping you from modding the succession laws to allow for other types of succession within patrician families (you can already set it up to allow say, enatic primogeniture or something if you want, but it dooms your dynasty because you won't be able to matri-marry your heir since that's hard-coded to merchant republics), and the game needs to be able to handle those kinds of succession properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Part of me wants to holy war him, part of me wants to cheer him on.

EDIT: welp Pope just called a Crusade. Too bad most of the west is Messalian :smug: and the East is basically the Orthodox Ilkhanate mega-Persia :stare:

EDIT: oh god the Ilkhanate just turned Messalian. So much for this world

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 10, 2014

• Locked thread