Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I wouldn't give 13 too much credit for that since it's less strategic and thoughtful use of debilitating abilities, and more a giant flashing neon sign saying USE DEPROTECT ON THIS GUY IDIOT
to be fair even the giant flashing neon sign seems to have been too complicated for some people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Self-imposed challenges don't count; of course I'm into FJF, taking part is why FFV occupies such a high spot on my list of favorite FFs. Generally speaking, buffs and (especially) debuffs are plagued by the same issue that makes them so useless in other FFs: regular encounters are too short for them to be useful, and a lot of bosses are immune to debuffs. Of course, the fact that a number of bosses have specific debuff vulnerabilities that can be exploited is both a point in their favor and the reason why so many games just say "gently caress you, this doesn't work."

But yeah, I played through the entirety of FFXIII when it first came out without much difficulty and only very rarely made use of SAB and SYN. Of course, my battle rating was poo poo most of the time and it turned an already long and boring game into a real slog, but that's neither here nor there.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CeallaSo posted:

and a lot of bosses are immune to debuffs

Except not really. Like, there is exactly one boss immune to Slow. There is a not insignificant number of bosses susceptible to Berserk (including one of the optional superbosses). There are strategies that involve using Silence to stop boss power-up routines. So on.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Kyrosiris posted:

Except not really. Like, there is exactly one boss immune to Slow. There is a not insignificant number of bosses susceptible to Berserk (including one of the optional superbosses). There are strategies that involve using Silence to stop boss power-up routines. So on.

Hahah, well, you'd be the one to know; I'm kind of surprised I forgot this, the last Fiesta wasn't even that long ago. Guess I put my foot in my mouth on that one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also in other FFs it's not that debuffs don;t work or are useless, it's just that killing the enemy is almost always a better way of dealing with the threat.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

There's also the problem of knowing if a debuff attempt failed or if the boss is just plain immune.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I liked how FFX handled a lot of the debuffs by making them attacks. Ordinarily you feel like casting blind or silence on a boss is more likely to result in a wasted turn than anything, but if you can at least do some damage at the same time then you're only wasting some MP.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It's actually the best line in the game.

Unironically this. I don't get the hate for it either. Out of all the dumb, angsty poo poo the characters come up with, people cling to this one line. It did a lot more to endear a character to me than any other line in the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Slow spell alone breaks both FF4 and its sequel in half. Haste is almost always awesome in every game, even the turn-based ones where it just boosts the crap out of your number of hits.

Granted, they're the only two status spells really worth a drat in most of the series, but hey.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Close, it's actually WE'RE JUST PETS

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

CeallaSo posted:

But yeah, I played through the entirety of FFXIII when it first came out without much difficulty and only very rarely made use of SAB and SYN. Of course, my battle rating was poo poo most of the time and it turned an already long and boring game into a real slog, but that's neither here nor there.

What is it about FF13 that makes people ignore half the combat system and then complain that the combat was boring

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It also wasn't until like Final Fantasy X if you find out that the spell actually did miss or if the enemy was just immune.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Suaimhneas posted:

What is it about FF13 that makes people ignore half the combat system and then complain that the combat was boring

It's kind of extra weird because the first half of the loving game is a slow, methodical tutorial on literally every possible combination of classes with text tutorials going "HEY THIS IS WHY THIS CLASS IS GOOD, IT WORKS WELL WITH THESE OTHER ONES" and set up fights and party member combinations to force you to learn them.

And people still don't and wonder why every fight takes 20x longer than it should.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Problem with status effects tends to be that they're not worth it on normal enemies and when they work on bosses they tend to be debilitating (if they don't have a 5% chance to land or somesuch).

Probably the best way to deal with this would be to implement debuff resistances/vulnerabilities the same way things have elemental ones, for example a boss with 50% blind resistance would get hit by Blind but it'd only reduce their hit chance by 25% instead of 50%.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Artix posted:

I too agree that when playing the game in an incredibly restrictive way, skills that are generally useless for typical play become much more important because they are your only options.

Also you've done nothing to disprove the point; 5 (depending on how you play it), maybe 10, and 13 are the only games in the series where buffs and debuffs are actually legitimately important.

Hey, buffs and debuffs made a pretty huge difference in FFXII, and I can't imagine trying to take on most of the tougher bosses and hunts without heavy reliance on them. Of course, XII had the Nihopaloa, which made applying every available debuff with 100% accuracy trivial, so maybe most people don't think it counts.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Artix posted:

I too agree that when playing the game in an incredibly restrictive way, skills that are generally useless for typical play become much more important because they are your only options.

I really hate this argument that some people pull about game challenge. Just because it's a self imposed challenge doesn't make those skills any less useless, in fact that's like half the fun about old rpgs is self imposing a challenge and seeing it is feasible and sometimes useless garbage poo poo that you normally wouldn't touch becomes the godliest of skills.

You can do four black mages in the first final fantasy. It's not a "normal game" so it's not "real challenge" because the designers didn't intend it, therefore the game is never challenging. Hence why Four Job Fiestas are a thing, because the base game is hilariously easy to beat so why not make it a bit more interesting? I'm sure the designers would give you their blessing despite their glorious base game being besmirched by all these "challenges" and "fiestas"

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Suaimhneas posted:

I played through the game more than once (because I have problems in my brain) and the second time I actually made use of de/buffs. It was still an incredibly boring game.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Kanfy posted:

Problem with status effects tends to be that they're not worth it on normal enemies and when they work on bosses they tend to be debilitating (if they don't have a 5% chance to land or somesuch).

Probably the best way to deal with this would be to implement debuff resistances/vulnerabilities the same way things have elemental ones, for example a boss with 50% blind resistance would get hit by Blind but it'd only reduce their hit chance by 25% instead of 50%.

Etrian Odyssey had what's probably the best answer for this problem, in that bosses had building resistance to status effects after they're applied. So for example, you could land Blind on a boss and it would start whiffing it's incredibly damaging attacks for 2-4 turns, and the status would have a decent chance to land... the first time. To land it a second time could take multiple attempts, and a third time would be almost impossible. It was enough of a benefit that you'd want to try for the status effect, but fights lasted long enough that you couldn't just lean on status effects and coast to victory.

It helps that in EO bosses tended to be pretty difficult and throw out a lot of damage so deciding when to try for a good status effect took a good bit of thinking.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
DR on debuffs is nothing new. FF11 predates the first EO game by half a decade and uses the same system you described above, wherein debuffs become harder and harder to stick on a target with each application (though there are ways of making them stick via cooldown abilities). This kinda sucks for the player in terms of RNG, so FF14 uses a WoW-style diminished length system, wherein status effect last their whole length, then half length, then quarter length before the target becomes immune for about 30 seconds.

Varance fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 8, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
FFXIII the game itself is pretty boring overall. However, combat system is surprisingly good if you take advantage of all options. That plus Japanese voices plus much better graphics with gedosato make the game more palatable vs console iterations.

That said, the game is still somewhat boring and slow but not as bad as I originally thought. Ch.11 turned out a bit of a slog.

FFV is actually a good game, but iOS remakes for this and FFVI are terrible. That's a shame since both are really good games. Found my cart for V, then decided heck with it and fired it up on my Note instead (emu). I can't deal with GBA screen anymore and so instead of that i am playing through on a 5.7 screen with physical controller, which is a lot better.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yojimbo is rad and cool and awesome

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
spectral keeper wtf

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I solved the problem with Yojimbo's Zanmato. Yojimbo is my favorite Aeon forever

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

alcharagia posted:

spectral keeper wtf

That boss and the one after gave me so much loving trouble. Worst part is that it's right before the game properly opens up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

loving Berserk Tail. I had more trouble with that guy than I did with Yunalesca to be honest. (from what I remember of my last playthrough from five years or so ago)

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Speaking of FFX, I got my hands on the HD version a few days ago and wow is this game a lot better game than I expected. Like, it's solidly in my top 3 for the series. he way every character (except Kimahri) has a unique and useful role in combat combined with how the Sphere Grid works is just hitting all the right buttons for me. The story, characters, and set pieces are really great too... except for Kimahri who's just kind of there. I don't even dislike Kimahri, he just seems like an afterthought to the developers. I mean, you can definitely tell this was an early PS2 game (the animations, voice direction), but it's still really good.

Actually, what should I do with Kimhari? I managed to get him on Rikku's section just in time for her to rejoin the party. :v: Then I had him double back and go down Wakka's path and now I'm at a section where he could break into Lulu's section. Should I make him a mage or stay the course? I'd really like to put him on Auron's path but that's way on the other side of the grid.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Kimhari is basically a Blue Mage with tons of MP and Lancet to keep it full, so yes, he's a really good mage when equipped with the appropriate weapon.

Also, he's really not relevant in the storyline until toward the very end of the game, where you're forced to use him for a 2 on 1 solo battle.

Edit: Of course, if you're going after the true endgame side stuff, the Tidus/Wakka/Rikku (single-target) and Tidus/Auron/Yuna (AoE) combos break the game, making Lulu and Kimhari kinda irrelevant.

Varance fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 9, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just used everybody except for him. Though there's a time later where you have a fight solo with him.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I just used everybody except for him. Though there's a time later where you have a fight solo with him.

Thankfully that fight scales depending on how powerful Kimahri is at the time.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

And as soon as I posted that I found some teleportation spheres. :v: But yeah, if he makes a good mage I'll go ahead and put him on Lulu's path.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Another nice thing about mage Kimahri is that Lancet's damage/healing is based on your magic stat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Scrap Dragon posted:

Speaking of FFX, I got my hands on the HD version a few days ago and wow is this game a lot better game than I expected. Like, it's solidly in my top 3 for the series. he way every character (except Kimahri) has a unique and useful role in combat combined with how the Sphere Grid works is just hitting all the right buttons for me. The story, characters, and set pieces are really great too... except for Kimahri who's just kind of there. I don't even dislike Kimahri, he just seems like an afterthought to the developers. I mean, you can definitely tell this was an early PS2 game (the animations, voice direction), but it's still really good.

This is pretty much how I feel; FFX is easily my favorite FF game, probably followed by IX. I'm a sucker for the sort of melodrama that's in FFX, and the game does a really good job of setting the sort of melancholy/bittersweet mood throughout the whole thing. Some of the voice acting is awkward, but I generally like the characters and think that Tidus acts pretty reasonably given the circumstances.

Has anyone played the FFIX PSN port? How does it hold up (in terms of how the graphics, etc are ported, not the plot/gameplay)?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah buffs and debuffs are essential in FF XIII, you won't get anywhere without them. You can even poison the final boss and it's a really handy godsend. It's about the one thing FF XIII does well really, because the other games in the series teach you bad habits where you were better off healing or doing pure damage than trying to weaken or strengthen your characters.

I find debuffs pretty useful in FFX as well. Necessary, not really, but on the Seymour fights in particular poison works wonders.

Fister Roboto posted:

In the 80s it would have been translated as Mom's our touch, and been infinitely better.

Suaimhneas posted:

"Wow this game is really hard and boring when I don't use buffs and debuffs and just mash attack"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

As long as he has steal before that fight so you can stock up on lvl 3 lock spheres and use so he can heal himself with Al Bhed potions that fight is trivial. Just make sure you don't kill one of the bosses before the other is also at crit hp or you won't get to learn both white wind and big guard (if you haven't found them elsewhere).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The PSN games aren't actually ports, they are literally the PS1 version of the game running in an emulator. If you put a PS1 disc into your PS3 it's the same game.

If you play it on a PSP or Vita there's a lot more in terms of options, changing screen ratios, making it take up a bit less or more space. You can also set controls to the analog sticks, touchscreen or D Pad. I personally think it looks much better on the Vita because the screen is small enough that you can't tell it's a really old game :v:

Also be prepared for black bars on the side of the screen

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The PSN games aren't actually ports, they are literally the PS1 version of the game running in an emulator. If you put a PS1 disc into your PS3 it's the same game.

If you play it on a PSP or Vita there's a lot more in terms of options, changing screen ratios, making it take up a bit less or more space. You can also set controls to the analog sticks, touchscreen or D Pad. I personally think it looks much better on the Vita because the screen is small enough that you can't tell it's a really old game :v:

Nah, just stretch it out and ignore the fact that everything looks r e a l l y w i d e.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Please respect aspect ratios.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I tried running it in an emulator, and noticed that the emulator manages to make the 3d sprites look a lot less pixelated (though at the cost of them looking a little bizarre). I guess I'll still go ahead and play the one I got on the PSN since it has the benefit of me being able to lay down in bed with my wireless controller while playing.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm playing FFV for the first time. I just got my first death from an enemy doing a LV 5 doom spell. Everyone is instantly dead. I love when games do that bullshit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I'm playing FFV for the first time. I just got my first death from an enemy doing a LV 5 doom spell. Everyone is instantly dead. I love when games do that bullshit.

Now have a Blue Mage learn it so you can do the same bullshit to a surprising amount of enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
haha I just loaded up Final Fantasy 10-2 and I forgot how much every aspect of this game owns