Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Which is when you sit down and realize "Holy poo poo Keanu is 50?!"

Whoa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Matrix came out... 15 years ago? Time is fuckin' weird.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CapnAndy posted:

The Matrix came out... 15 years ago? Time is fuckin' weird.

For me it's more "Wait, Bill and Ted came out....holy gently caress I'm getting old."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The MSJ posted:

Then you are probably not going to like anyone they cast as Strange. Marvel doesn't want someone too old to be the star of their movies. The most senior actor rumored for the role that I know of is Keanu Reeves who is 50.
You're right, I probably am not - but at least Keanu would be lower down on the Luke Perry scale of not even believably that age.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's really becoming the norm for events, isn't it?

Nah, it's like Star Trek, every other film is terrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SynthOrange posted:

Nah, it's like Star Trek, every other film is terrible.

But all 4 TNG films are pretty awful?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That's why he'll never play the role of Dr. Strange, he will never play a role that hints about his wizard powers for eternal youth.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lurdiak posted:

Well they all only have enough ideas for half a movie, and the last two are worse than the first two.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

There are no joke smart and learned people out there who think that even the unmitigated turds like Nemesis are genuinely good. James freaking Rolfe thinks Nemesis is good. There's no accounting for taste on This Gay Earth TM.

Oddly enough Insurrection is the only one out of the four that seems to be genuinely hated the most after a decade + of retrospection because even idiots can see that the central conceit of defending the Baku is rear end-backwards. First Contact is a duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmbbbbbbb movie, but it hangs together well and is Fun To Watch TM so it deflects a lot of criticism. Generations wins points mostly for the Picard/Kirk scenes (which aren't even very good and ends with Kirk's shameful and pointless death) and for being the most TNG-like of all the TNG movies. Nemesis is one people seem to give a pass to because they really like the idea of a clone of Picard turning out evil and don't seem to realize that the actual movie is total dogshit that 110% fails to deliver on its concept while also ripping off anything from Wrath of Khan that wasn't nailed down.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ghostlight posted:

I mostly dislike Slumberbatch because of his age. Dr Strange's entire origin is that he has a well-established but ultimately hollow work-oriented life that is torn away from him and he loses his entire sense of person because he has nothing else in life. It's not quite as big a deal changing careers or not having established a family in your late 30s as it is in your late 50s/60s. On top of that, his greying sides are iconic parts of his image and all I can imagine is 90s Reed Richards.

Which is fine if you're going full camp, actually.

Yes, but Marvel's all about the 10+ year contracts these days, so early 30s is about as old as we're gonna get for this first movie.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Only way it would've been better is if the Stinkeye of Agomotto had had room to 'say' something so you could've read it in H. Jon Benjamin's "The Master" voice.

Or, alternatively, H. Jon Benjamin's HAL voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0cqV3h-aDA

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 10, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Somewhere there is a portrait...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

And Master and Commander and Galaxy Quest came out in the wrong years to make the pattern work too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mind the walrus posted:

Nemesis is one people seem to give a pass to

I don't think I've ever met anybody who could even bring themselves to pretend that movie wasn't utter dogshit. It's.... garbage.

Edit: Although it did give us this alternate take on the film.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Contact is the only good TNG movie.

After the TNG movies came out people were so worried about the "every second film is good" rule that they worked out a new formula of "if you add the digits and come out with an even number it's good" rule so the 10th film fits in.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yes, but Marvel's all about the 10+ year contracts these days, so early 30s is about as old as we're gonna get for this first movie.
Putting aside that half the cast of the Avengers is past their 40s, and the arguably linchpin actor of the MU franchise as a cohesive world is in his 60s.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hell, the one guy in every single movie is in his 90s!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Points of order!

- Generations is pretty damned uneven but errs on the positive side, mostly boosted by some beautiful set lighting heretofore unseen on the decks of the Enterprise-D. Also, the crash and Stellar Cartography scenes still hold up. Finally seeing the Enterprise-B onscreen is also enough for a few goodwill points (NGL, I'm a huge Excelsior-class ship fan), even if Cameron is an unbelievably terrible captain. Nexus stuff drags a bit, but the movie otherwise moves enough otherwise and tries so hard to please I can't stay mad at it.

- First Contact is super-watchable, even though there is a lot of weird stuff going on and a lot of the main characters are super-duper-underused (a running theme for the TNG films). Overall, the more grim mood is a nice change (especially the first 20 minutes or so) but there's a lot of bad comedy that gets in the way. Excellent main theme, also.

- Insurrection is a boring slog that wouldn't even be remembered as a great 2-part episode. Riker's bridge joystick remains the low point of the entire Trek oeuvre.

- Nemesis is literally not even worth talking about.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 10, 2014

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Saw this on Reddit:

(Tunderbolts (2012) #14 apparently)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

redbackground posted:

- Insurrection is a boring slog that wouldn't even be remembered as a great 2-part episode. Riker's bridge joystick remains the low point of the entire Trek oeuvre.

"Saddle up! Lock and Load!"

Such a good supporting cast. Wasted. Utterly loving wasted.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Nemesis gave us the Federation Dune Buggy, at least that's stupid enough to be worth talking about.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Post funny panels. C'mon people, nobody cares about your interest/disinterest in films here.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Miracleman [2014] #5

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Ghostlight posted:

Miracleman [2014] #5

Doctor Sivana, you leave that Grecian Formula #9 alone!

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Ghostlight posted:

Putting aside that half the cast of the Avengers is past their 40s, and the arguably linchpin actor of the MU franchise as a cohesive world is in his 60s.

Clark Gregg is only 52. :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Deadpool saves (the original) Nick Fury.

Deadpool [2012] #26

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

smashpro1 posted:

Clark Gregg is only 52. :colbert:

Please don't be this dumb.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Skwirl posted:

Please don't be this dumb.

Yeah, no jokes allowed in the funny panels thread.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's oddly reassuring to see Hardhat Spidey saying those words Superstring. I thought I was going insane for a second.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

And now...CHILD ENDANGERMENT!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
That is a funnier ending.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
That Popeye is hilarious--did it seriously just end like that or is it out of context?

I'm sure this was even sillier when the comic was, uh, colored, but I only have the Industrial Strength black and white collection.

DNAgents, issue 1.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Popeye comic has a photoshopped ending.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

muscles like this? posted:

The Popeye comic has a photoshopped ending.

Oh, bummer. Photoshopped ones can be hilarious, but nothing beats panels that were actually published. My wife made these panels from the Basil Wolverton Reader into wall art:

some Powerhouse Pepper story

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

In the proper ending Swee'pea just paddles back to shore.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh, bummer. Photoshopped ones can be hilarious, but nothing beats panels that were actually published. My wife made these panels from the Basil Wolverton Reader into wall art:

I'm doing a wall of art in 4x6 frames, but never thought about putting up individual panels like that. Now I have some thing to think about.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's some quality British comicwork there.

Also, drat Photoshop. That totally fooled me when I saw it too.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Cangelosi posted:

And now...CHILD ENDANGERMENT!

So what was the original ending?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SilverSupernova posted:

So what was the original ending?

Ghostlight posted:

In the proper ending Swee'pea just paddles back to shore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the joke was that SweePea already knows how to swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

No idea how I missed that post earlier.

• Locked thread