Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd imagine the Kuntala would smell delicious if they were a food source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Dammit Klim Nick, stop going all Scirocco and seducing the young girls into piloting mobile suits with your pretty pretty eyes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Level Slide posted:

I'd imagine the Kuntala would smell delicious if they were a food source.

The right herbs can fix up a mean long pig.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Sharkopath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvtko347pek

The guy that does good 8bit renditions of a lot of different show themes got around to this show.

It's a nice arrangement, I think.

And now they've gotten around to everyone's favorite earworm: the ED.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Oh, and another thing that happened this episode that I think deserves a little attention is the fact that Ameria waited until they were in direct conflict with the Capital before unveiling their giant new deathweapon. They must have been planning this for a long time.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If there's one thing I'm glad that carried over from Build Fighters, it's the protagonist's mom being awesome and the protagonist himself actually being good at piloting.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

John Carstairs posted:

Hey, the preview shows Mick Jack is coming back next week:

Maybe she'll do something awesome in the Hecate. In order to create demand for a model. Because I want a model.

Edit: For maximum trolling, she won't even be in the drat thing. It just looks like it because, apparently, it, the Montero, the Grimoires (I think), and the Gehennams all share a cockpit design.

Oh god, I called it. Fuuuuuck. I knew I had a bad feeling about that bringing "another new model" line last time she appeared...

Edit:

John Carstairs posted:

I will join you in wanting a kit of [the Armorzagan] though. It looks like it could launch smaller craft off its butt when transformed. :v:

Not exactly what I had in mind, but I'm going to count myself as calling this one too, if only to make myself feel better about the other one:

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 13, 2014

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I have very little experience with Gundam shows or Tomino and have really only seen 0079 and like four episodes of Victory, but I'm really liking this show. It's nice to have an anime that doesn't go out of its way to spell everything out for you, and even gives red herring exposition and plays with expectations. I don't really get people's misogyny complaints but I don't really want to talk about it either, I just think most of the characters on display here are well formed and interesting. I hope it's very successful, this is a great giant robot show imo.

edit: there's really nothing I hate seeing more in a story than a character telling another character expository setting or plot information for several minutes and this pretty much never happens in this show. I enjoy being forced to pay attention, trying to pick things up from context and realizing I can't watch it in a separate window and browse forums on half my monitor until explosions happen.

Under the vegetable fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 13, 2014

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Eiba posted:

I loved this, actually. On one level it was just a bit of a gag, but it was a great way to show just how stupidly gung-ho the Capital Army has been.

There's an emerging theme here about how terrifying a people who have never known war can be. The zeal of the Capital Army is both absurd and terrifying. Like a child with a gun.

Another great thing about the Under Nut scene was how people are grumbling... but even they're not taking it very seriously. Dellisen on his segway, filled with self-assurance even as he looked absurd and was met with nothing but grumbling from the civilians, was actually heading towards a newly important military base on this formerly prosperous and peaceful island. The inhabitants aren't happy, but are largely "too-chill", not really understanding what consequences they'll inevitably face from becoming a military target.

Belri and the Capital civilians are "too chill" because they're naive. The army is "too chill" because their zeal has made the blind to the realities of war. The pirates are "too chill" because they're used to a far more horrific kind of war, and aren't taking the Capital very seriously. There are two very un-chill characters- Aida and the Director (the latter only working up to it from her former chill-ness as this Army poo poo got more and more out of hand). They're both being positioned to be proven entirely correct by the story. It's the chill people who are wrong and terrifying.

Japan recently reinterpreted its pacifistic constitution to allow it a more interventionist military stance. The "Self Defense Forces" are being retooled into an Army. There have been protests, but the people of Japan have largely been pretty chill about all this.

Something tells me Tomino is not feeling too chill about the idea. I would not be surprised if G-Recco ended up being really blatant allegory for what a bad idea Japanese remilitarization is.

Thank you for giving a solid reading of a work, this is good poo poo. Gundam's political subtext is pretty much the main reason I love what Gundam I've seen, and why I'm avoiding the wacky gundam yu-gi-oh fighting show like the plague.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

At the very least, the animation budget is back, seems like the issues were a one off for the more filler episode.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So, is having the clipshow OP really supposed to be a creative decision or do they really not have the time/budget/desire to just throw some original animation together?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

So, is having the clipshow OP really supposed to be a creative decision or do they really not have the time/budget/desire to just throw some original animation together?

It's actually hard and expensive to animate, and animation production in general is madcap, and considering how much they had to cut back for the last episode to meet production time, its totally possible they dont have the manpower or budget to do a new opening.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I lvoe how much the shows pays attentions to the surroundigns during it's battles. Most shows simply uses the environment as backdrops for the mecha, and so a mech shooting at another in the desert or at sea or in space are all mostly the same. In G-Reco you get all these movements and falling and crashing waves and the wing flying away almost hitting the Arcane. It shows real attention to details and knowledge of how to make battle interesting instead of simply having stronger attacks or speedy lightshows.

So far the Tricky Backpack doesn't seem as great as the Reflector, but it's got a Minovsky Craft on it so it should get pretty interesting soon. Man, remember the Wings of Light? Those were great.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This is a seriously good episode with a lot of action and plot and characterwise has finally hit a stride. I think a lot of people will be happy with it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

This is a seriously good episode with a lot of action and plot and characterwise has finally hit a stride. I think a lot of people will be happy with it.

You underestimate people's ability to find stuff to not like. Especially on teh interwebs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really hope they're not hinting that Mask kills Klim Nick next episode. :smith: Also I really hope Aida gets to like... actually do something soon.

Also I want a show that is just about Klim Nick and Mick Jack.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 14, 2014

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Man there's so much good parenting in this show. It's nice :3:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Manny is great and I hope she gets more and more screentime.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's interesting to see that the Mask Team is also totally being looked down upon, aren't the full commanding officers of the vessel, and are totally being used as guinea pigs for all the new toys the army is testing out, like I thought they were.

It adds to the tragedy of the situation all around, and underscored the idea that Mask really does not look all that favorably upon his would be handlers.

Also there was a nice little moment that reminded me a lot of Gainer, where instead of exploding one of the mask pilots got to bob around on the sea and survive, however impractical it is.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Mask is the best character so far. His motivations and position are totally clear. Still not quite sure how Bellri and his mom are going to not be strung up for treason.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Aida also got to do a lot this time around, even though she still isn't topfragging it seems like its more because she's not used to the G-Arcane and how it handles, and when you have a character like Mick getting it done it helps alleviate the idea that Aida is being sidelined because of her experience and position of importance, not because she's a woman.

She knows a lot and is putting the pieces together, hopefully they keep it up with her and don't just drop her into the background again like she was the last few episodes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Raku posted:

Mask is the best character so far. His motivations and position are totally clear. Still not quite sure how Bellri and his mom are going to not be strung up for treason.

The Army/Guard and Capital Society in general are pretty relaxed and nonprofessional, from an operational standpoint. They don't really strike me as the type to execute capital punishment, and especially if Willmit goes back with all of the hostages she has an incredibly strong bargaining chip to use against the army, from a political point of view. She was able to do what all their armed forces weren't as a single woman and a glider, public opinion wise she would be golden.

I don't think that's how the story is going to play out though, I really doubt they are going back anytime soon.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Great episode, really feel like the show is going places, and it's reached that point where I'm actively terrified of the next episode.

Klim may be eating it soon (:smith:), and hopefully that'll motivate Bell to finally stay with the pirates.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

drat good episode this week. Animation quality was nice after that hiccup last week, and we really got a good look at what's to come. It sounds like the taboo applies to more than just mechs. That's an interesting detail. Seems like they are aware of a faction on the moon but it's just so ingrained that someone from the Tower questioning them seems unheard of. I assume the moon folk must have been the ones to originally come up with the taboo.

Also hah, more evidence of hella discrimination going on.

I think my favorite little detail this week is that even though Bellri's mom noted that the water was old, she was still drinking it a few scenes later.

Srice fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 14, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Aida also got to do a lot this time around, even though she still isn't topfragging it seems like its more because she's not used to the G-Arcane and how it handles, and when you have a character like Mick getting it done it helps alleviate the idea that Aida is being sidelined because of her experience and position of importance, not because she's a woman.

She knows a lot and is putting the pieces together, hopefully they keep it up with her and don't just drop her into the background again like she was the last few episodes.

Hahaha, are you real?

Aida got a lot more to do this episode! Including.. uh... sitting back while the men go off to fight. Flying ineffectually into the atmosphere to the point she is worried she is going to loving crash. Trying to shoot down a single occupant glider. And providing exposition! Meanwhile Mick contributes to the fight by not getting shot down and damaging a single base jabber. I mean, don't get me wrong its nice to see a female character hit something in a fight, but I don't expect her to be any more successful than Aida in upcoming episodes.

The combat was pretty decent this episode overall as everyone else pointed out. Well, the actual animation was anyways. Mask's obsession with getting higher than the G-self was amusing in that he just ended up repeating the same line over and over while failing to succeed.

Standout part of the episode was the lack of fucks given at the start. Yeah, there is a mobile suit battle probably 500 meters that way. Hurry? Nah lets just have a sit down on the beach and have a drink with dad. Its almost like they read the script in advance and knew that no stray shot was going to come over the ridge, or that mask wasn't going to fly over it, see a bunch of unpiloted mobile suits standing around and go to town. Sure was a good thing for them that he arrived at that exact moments with parts for the G-self as well as equipment to replace its damaged backpack!

Runner up is Bellri giving no fucks about a technician about to fall roughly twelve meters to his very possible death. Oh, no, he landed on sand so he's totally cool. Third place goes to Aida's dad who says there is nothing wrong with the visibly brain damaged Monday. Or maybe the sarcasm just isn't translating.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caros posted:

Hahaha, are you real?

Aida got a lot more to do this episode! Including.. uh... sitting back while the men go off to fight. Flying ineffectually into the atmosphere to the point she is worried she is going to loving crash. Trying to shoot down a single occupant glider. And providing exposition! Meanwhile Mick contributes to the fight by not getting shot down and damaging a single base jabber. I mean, don't get me wrong its nice to see a female character hit something in a fight, but I don't expect her to be any more successful than Aida in upcoming episodes.

The combat was pretty decent this episode overall as everyone else pointed out. Well, the actual animation was anyways. Mask's obsession with getting higher than the G-self was amusing in that he just ended up repeating the same line over and over while failing to succeed.

Standout part of the episode was the lack of fucks given at the start. Yeah, there is a mobile suit battle probably 500 meters that way. Hurry? Nah lets just have a sit down on the beach and have a drink with dad. Its almost like they read the script in advance and knew that no stray shot was going to come over the ridge, or that mask wasn't going to fly over it, see a bunch of unpiloted mobile suits standing around and go to town. Sure was a good thing for them that he arrived at that exact moments with parts for the G-self as well as equipment to replace its damaged backpack!

Runner up is Bellri giving no fucks about a technician about to fall roughly twelve meters to his very possible death. Oh, no, he landed on sand so he's totally cool. Third place goes to Aida's dad who says there is nothing wrong with the visibly brain damaged Monday. Or maybe the sarcasm just isn't translating.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, I think that's the same technician who was hanging onto the G-Self when it was flying around in a previous episode. At this point he might as well be Mr. Magoo, and it owns.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So Aida takes an issue with Bellri saving both of them by killing a guy in self-defense, and then she is angry about it for several episodes. Fine. In this episode, she nearly kills Bellri's unarmed mother, lies about it, and then tries to laugh it off as if it were just a silly mistake of no potentially real consequence.

This show...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

So Aida takes an issue with Bellri saving both of them by killing a guy in self-defense, and then she is angry about it for several episodes. Fine. In this episode, she nearly kills Bellri's unarmed mother, lies about it, and then tries to laugh it off as if it were just a silly mistake of no potentially real consequence.

This show...

She doesn't lie about it. Bellri asked what she was doing in the G-Arcane *before* that and she lies (because the answer is 'she lost control.') She laughed off her making a mistake in piloting. Her response to almost killing Bellri's mom was a shocked "I almost become a murderer."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

She doesn't lie about it. Bellri asked what she was doing in the G-Arcane *before* that and she lies (because the answer is 'she lost control.') She laughed off her making a mistake in piloting. Her response to almost killing Bellri's mom was a shocked "I almost become a murderer."

I went back and watched the scene again, and you're right. I totally misread the scene.

My bad. :doh:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Srice posted:

I think my favorite little detail this week is that even though Bellri's mom noted that the water was old, she was still drinking it a few scenes later.

I was personally a fan of that look Mick gives Aida after Wilmit says she won't apologize:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

Meanwhile Mick contributes to the fight by not getting shot down and damaging a single base jabber. I mean, don't get me wrong its nice to see a female character hit something in a fight, but I don't expect her to be any more successful than Aida in upcoming episodes.

Mick Jack contributed to the fight by holding off the entire Mask Corps with a single Mobile Armor. One that started to fry itself mid-way into the fight, no less.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mick Jack contributed to the fight by holding off the entire Mask Corps with a single Mobile Armor. One that started to fry itself mid-way into the fight, no less.

That was implied by the whole 'not getting shot down' thing. Frankly it was nice to see a woman do something, I just wish they'd actually 'show' her doing something instead of merely existing to buy time for Goku Bellri to show back up. What is more egregious is the fact that she had to hold them off by herself while Aida had a fully armed and functional mobile suit that she decided to land and hang around in.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

That was implied by the whole 'not getting shot down' thing. Frankly it was nice to see a woman do something, I just wish they'd actually 'show' her doing something instead of merely existing to buy time for Goku Bellri to show back up. What is more egregious is the fact that she had to hold them off by herself while Aida had a fully armed and functional mobile suit that she decided to land and hang around in.

Fully armed and functional mobile suit that she's still not entirely used to controlling. They outright say this during the episode.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

To be fair, Bell didn't do much himself considering he could barely control the new backpack. The whole fight was a draw, it jsut was executed well so we didn't really notice.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TARDISman posted:

Fully armed and functional mobile suit that she's still not entirely used to controlling. They outright say this during the episode.

So stand in the back and take pot shots?

Or hell, stay in the cockpit at the ready in case mask decides to do a flyby on multiple stationary targets within easy reach of the battlefield.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

So stand in the back and take pot shots?

Or hell, stay in the cockpit at the ready in case mask decides to do a flyby on multiple stationary targets within easy reach of the battlefield.

Mask was a little distracted not getting his poo poo wrecked by the mobile armor and Klim double teaming most of his squad.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Mask was a little distracted not getting his poo poo wrecked by the mobile armor and Klim double teaming most of his squad.

Functionally that scene was pretty cool actually, you had exposition and character discussion and introductions going on with action in the background, I enjoyed it.

Armorzagan popping out over a hill momentarily to do some stuff and then going back to the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's refreshing to see a pilot like Klim who's just really talented while not dominating like the usual named ace does. He's just stupidly good with that lance.

• Locked thread