Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I don't think they dropped it entirely but the newer format of using each half season means they can't really waste time really touching base with the other characters unless they happen to be involved in some way other than as background decoration. I personally liked how S1 played out though, but S2 kinda showed the format and the episode count were really dragging it down (plus they spent waaaaaay too much time in S2 on telling us the same Snow/Regina stories). I don't mind how they're doing it now but I doubt we'll get to see more stuff like another episode for Grumpy/Red/Jiminy unless they end up coming to the forefront of the main plot for an upcoming half-season. This also applies to Aurora/Phillip/Mulan, which kinda sucks unless they want to do something more substantial with them, we probably won't see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I bet the second half will be a Wonderland storyline.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ashez2ashes posted:

I bet the second half will be a Wonderland storyline.
second half is supposed to be Maleficent

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jithendra posted:

To me, that looks like a kid, and if you look at her(?) chest in a larger picture, there's not really anything there. I'm saying it's gay based on the way the guy is centered, larger than everyone else, and if you look really close (you may have to go look at the actual movie to see it), you can see that he's making a kissy face. What grown adult man makes a kissy face at his father? It'd be one thing if that guy was a kid, but...

Either way, it's at least ambiguous.

Not to take away anything from the gay theory with him, which I support, but he's not making a "kissy face". He's going "yoo-hoo!" as are the rest of the family in the sauna

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Great episode. I love Emma and Regina's relationship.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Charming mentioned Asgard. Avengers are going to be the next new characters confirmed.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Just waiting for that SHIELD/OUAT crossover episode.

"We just discovered an 084 in Maine. Something in the town of Storybrooke is leading people to believe they're characters from Disney movies."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain Mog posted:

Disney is actually about as gay friendly as they come. They've been holding gay days at Disney World and have had equal benefits for LGBT employees since way before it was in vogue to do so and have consistently told everyone who has a problem with it to piss off. Also, while many of their movies aren't explicitly "gay friendly", it is perfectly possible for a few of them to be read as sort of gay allegories. For instance, there's Frozen with its message of "respect & love people even if they are different from you" and Beauty & the Beast with its whole theme of people wanting to rip Belle & the Beast apart so she can have a "normal" relationship.

I'm thrilled they made Mulan into a lesbian and do hope she comes back and gets together with Aurora.

Color me corrected then. I also liked the Mulan plotline, but it is a shame the performer got so busy right afterward.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.

Captain Mog posted:

Disney is actually about as gay friendly as they come. They've been holding gay days at Disney World and have had equal benefits for LGBT employees since way before it was in vogue to do so and have consistently told everyone who has a problem with it to piss off. Also, while many of their movies aren't explicitly "gay friendly", it is perfectly possible for a few of them to be read as sort of gay allegories. For instance, there's Frozen with its message of "respect & love people even if they are different from you" and Beauty & the Beast with its whole theme of people wanting to rip Belle & the Beast apart so she can have a "normal" relationship.

I'm thrilled they made Mulan into a lesbian and do hope she comes back and gets together with Aurora.

To add to this, the Disney Channel show Good Luck Charlie had a lesbian couple in a episode. It wasn't even subtle, just straight up, "Oh yeah, this kid has two moms."

I mean, it's not the same as having a major gay princess but I think Disney is clearly open to the idea, at least as far as Once Upon a Time Goes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Smirk Queen

Also, :lol: at Emma and Regina's double kamehameha.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Why does this show insist on telling us that Regina was misunderstood? She has literally murdered people and is completely unapologetic about it.

Besides that, it was a decent episode. I'm really liking the Snow Queen.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
You can read subtext into the Emma flashback if you want, but man, the text itself takes this show's psychodrama about blood and adoption to new heights.

Emma wants to be adopted but isn't. Her friend is adopted but wants blood parents. Who'd have thought that only a decade later she'd be giving up her own kid for adoption to a woman who's being manipulated by the kid's grandfather in order to find his own son, who himself ran away from home due to bad parenting which included the murder of his mother, who was herself involved with the man who Emma's currently dating...

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Just caught up on this season, and I have to say: no one seemed to bat an eye at Hook reclaiming his hook. Or did I miss it?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Transmogrifier posted:

Just caught up on this season, and I have to say: no one seemed to bat an eye at Hook reclaiming his hook. Or did I miss it?

Emma was like "wha?" and Hook was like "Eh hook is better than hand" and she was all "K"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ither posted:

Why does this show insist on telling us that Regina was misunderstood? She has literally murdered people and is completely unapologetic about it.

Besides that, it was a decent episode. I'm really liking the Snow Queen.

She's also run out of chances when it comes to the redemption narrative. She's a complete sociopath slowly learning what normal people are like through the lens of how it benefits her, and it's actually delightful to watch.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Things Belle likes: books, bad boys, stripper heels, valuing gemstones above human life

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Captain Mog posted:

Things Belle likes: books, bad boys, stripper heels, valuing gemstones above human life

~JustBelleThings~

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

being obviously lied to

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Hook is on fire with those one liners

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

winvirus posted:

Hook is on fire with those one liners

I don't know, Regina's "Captain Guyliner" zinger really made me laugh out loud and I very rarely do that at scripted TV shows

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

She was even wearing the stripper heels while climbing the mountain...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Really liked this episode, I dunno about you guys but I think they're on a roll right now. And good, they're doing something with Belle. I absolutely loved Belle when they introduced her but she had been really sitting on the sidelines for a while, hope they're gonna help put her front and center for a little while longer with the Frozen half of this season.

Maybe I'm just a dumb fanboy for Belle but drat that flashback was on point right up to the very end.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Captain Hook is really the best character on this show. I love Robert Carlyle as Rumple, but Captain Hook just steals his scenes and is the best character.

These Frozen episodes continue to drag on and it feels like terrible fanfiction. But Captain Hook can just ... save a scene just by simply being there with a one-liner.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ahaha oh my god, they actually did it; they found a way to make everyone even MORE related than they already are. I can't wait to see how they worm Emma into the Frozen family tree.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I thought the 3rd sister was going to end up being Belle's mother or something. I'm kind of over this storyline overall.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Argue posted:

Ahaha oh my god, they actually did it; they found a way to make everyone even MORE related than they already are. I can't wait to see how they worm Emma into the Frozen family tree.

I laughed when Hook pointed it out. So sassy ~

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hook better be scared cause by the end of the season he might be related to Emma.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Hook was already a semi-father-figure to Neil. So his relationship with Emma is a little odd if you think about it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He's also 4 times her age, although it's much more weird with Rumble and Belle.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Wait, they weren't saying that Emma is actually related to Elsa/Ingrid, were they? Just that Elsa wanted to find a new blonde "family member" with magic, and the prophecy indicated that the savior would be a good candidate.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ShakeZula posted:

Wait, they weren't saying that Emma is actually related to Elsa/Ingrid, were they? Just that Elsa wanted to find a new blonde "family member" with magic, and the prophecy indicated that the savior would be a good candidate.
It felt like if Ingrid did the right thing, Emma would become Helga (the middle sister) or something. Obviously Ingrid hosed up somewhere and got her sister killed and is trying to bring her back in some twisted way, I guess.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
All right, is there any main cast member, good or evil, series-long or season-long, whose primary plot arc isn't "trying to resolve familial abandonment issues"?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain von Trapp posted:

All right, is there any main cast member, good or evil, series-long or season-long, whose primary plot arc isn't "trying to resolve familial abandonment issues"?

If you change "familial abandonment issues" to the ever so slightly less specific "loss or neglect within one's family" then the answer is a definite resounding no.

I do think that's kind of the point, though. So many Disney stories from the company's origins to the Hayley Mills days (and beyond!) are about the importance of family. The show sort of takes that and puts an intentionally confusing and convoluted, dysfunctional and nontraditional spin on it in the same way it attempts to fracture the fairy tales.

I describe the show as being about a very large, dysfunctional fairy tale family in which every member is seeking redemption. It's Lost, except with Disney brand sugar poured all over it and hope substituted for guilt.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Just shut up and kiss her!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Calling it now, the price for Rumple's spell will be "the heart of your worst enemy" or something like that. Killing Hook is about the only thing which would make him that happy.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Wasn't young Ingrid the psycho girl from the Walking Dead? Psychooooooo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

foxatee posted:

Wasn't young Ingrid the psycho girl from the Walking Dead? Psychooooooo.

Yup.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

As frustrating as it is that Rumple is lying to Belle over whatever this plan of his is, I would totally love to see Rumple be able to go out into the real world with all his powers. He went out briefly, but he couldn't do a whole lot without risking losing his memory.

Gah I want to know what was whispered to him! What is your GAME Rumple? I'll be sad if Captain Mog is right and it is Hook's heart. I don't want him to go away.

Seeing Emma unleash her powers like that through the wall was pretty sweet, though I think it's obvious that her family is going to be able to get her to keep her powers under control in a way the Snow Queen's family wasn't. And it's gonna end with Snow letting Emma hold the baby, calling it now.

Also I gotta say, I think they are doing a really good job of tying in the Once story AROUND the Frozen story without changing anything from the movie. I'm impressed. I imagine Disney told them they couldn't change a single thing about what happened in the movie, so it looks like it provided a fun challenge to write a story around the established one and still make it good. The only problem I have is I wish they had just went ahead and made the rock troll look more like he did in the movie. I understand why they tried to make him look more realistic but his look doesn't work that well, even if he's animated fine.

edit: Perfect casting on the young Duke of Weasletown

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Macaluso posted:

edit: Perfect casting on the young Duke of Weasletown

Totally.

Also, if we're going to redeem Regina (how hot was that Robin kiss? drat.), I'm glad Rumple is still on the darker side of gray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
In other news, it has been zero days since Prince Charming was involved in an accident.

• Locked thread