Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
As a Wood Elf, I strip down and proceed to explore the musky, moist wilderness around Seyda Neen wearing nothing but a pair of boots. The Mudcrabs and Cliff Racers are worn down by Chitin Arrows from afar; they are finished off with desperate spear thrusts. While I live off of racer plumes and crab meat, I will eat virtually everything I come across: Various mushrooms, plants, and even grave dust. Every taste strengthens my affinity for the world around me (alchemy); every felled beast renews my talents with the bow and spear. My legs grow stronger as I attempt to out-swim the Slaughterfish and climb the craggy peaks separating the Bitter Coast from the rest of Morrowind. I delve into sacred ancestral tombs and purge them of their wicked denizens--the spirits repay me with precious loot that I pawn for a steady supply of arrows.

After days of this, I feel that I am worthy enough to press on to Balmora. A Redguard advises me to take the Silt Strider, but I laugh in her face: "The only way to get from Point A to Point B is with your feet in the mud," I tell her in a vaguely threatening tone.

My wiener is calloused and numb from slapping against roughage like Kreshweed and Marshmerrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

GrumpyDoctor posted:

If things are killing you then run away from them. And stop opening trapped things.

How am I going to find sweet loot then?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Cast a telekinesis spell to trigger traps from a safe distance.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Mountaineer posted:

Cast a telekinesis spell to trigger traps from a safe distance.

That's interesting to know.

player->setskill "acrobatics" xx doesn't work. Am I getting the syntax wrong?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
It's just 'setacrobatics', not 'setskill acrobatics'.

P.S. Why are you using the console?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Musical_Daredevil posted:

It's just 'setacrobatics', not 'setskill acrobatics'.

P.S. Why are you using the console?

Because getting around in Morrowind is lovely.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Just console "tcl" and role play an ignorant ghost, in that case.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What console codes are you guys using? Traps are insta-kill and scamps, bandits, ghosts are unhittable and are quite easily 3 shotting my level 2 dude, even when I have a lovely ancestor spirit up and shield.

And there's no magicka regen between fights?

I have 3 sets of dark brotherhood armor on me, and a set of Orcish armor I got from some idiot in a shithole. The merchants have 3, 400 gold maybe and only offer me 1/3 of what each item is worth. Dark Brotherhood pants worth 300 gold? Better give you 97 for it. It's obvious you guys are playing a very different game than I am.

haha you're p. bad

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

One time, I rolled a character. Nothing special about him in any way, just an average Dunmer with the sorts of skills a peasant might have.

I took him up to Kuul and using his small amount of gold, rented a shack there thanks to the rent homes mod. He had little more than that, a chitin knife, and the clothes on his back. I was also playing with a variety of mods that make things harder, for instance you lose combat efficacy when low on health as well as stamina, and you have to eat food to not die. So I took most of my clothes off, dived into the water, and became a pearl diver.

I spent several in-game months doing this, killing fish, and swimming around the region. I gained few levels and made less money.

It was a lot of fun, hope you enjoyed my Morrowind story.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
You're bad if you don't like a lovely game that is .5 steps above a text based MUD in terms of functionality and playability!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

You're bad if you don't like a lovely game that is .5 steps above a text based MUD in terms of functionality and playability!

Keep trolling, casual :smugdog:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Because getting around in Morrowind is lovely.

Out of curiosity, why are you playing this game? If it's because other people said it was good, then great, you gave it a try. But it doesn't really seem like your jam, to be honest. If you're gonna play a video game, have some fun with it.

Part of Morrowind's whole appeal is feeling vast because travel is annoying. My personal favorite Morrowind moment was cresting the mountains between the Bitter Coast and the West Gash right at sunrise, in the fog, as Call of Magic (the main theme) started to play. If you're not playing the game for those moments, it's just a bad RPG.

Plus, the annoying parts are what make breaking the game fun - you get to be a god in a world of mundanes. But you have to experience being a mundane for that to be worth anything.

e: This isn't a value judgement or anything. There's nothing wrong with not liking Morrowind.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'm seeing a bit of a trend here.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I don't want to read it I want you to tell me.

I think this might not be the game for you. You're trying to play the game on your terms, not the terms of the system. RPGs demand a certain amount of patience, and it looks like you're expecting more immediate rewards. Nothing wrong with that, really, but I think you're gonna hit a brick wall with this game if that's the case.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

GrumpyDoctor posted:

e: This isn't a value judgement or anything. There's nothing wrong with not liking Morrowind.

Look at this wrong opinion

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

President Goku's the kind of dude who gets killed as he tries to cast fireball on a slaughterfish, and his corpse is then buttfucked by a trio of mudcrabs whose shells clip slightly into the Seyda Neen shoreline.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

President Goku's the kind of dude who gets killed as he tries to cast fireball on a slaughterfish, and his corpse is then buttfucked by a trio of mudcrabs whose shells clip slightly into the Seyda Neen shoreline.

I unironically do kill slaughterfish with fireballs because they come out of the water frequently.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I'm seeing a bit of a trend here.

I think this might not be the game for you. You're trying to play the game on your terms, not the terms of the system. RPGs demand a certain amount of patience, and it looks like you're expecting more immediate rewards. Nothing wrong with that, really, but I think you're gonna hit a brick wall with this game if that's the case.

That post was ironic and an inside joke. I should have made it clear!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

If you're only level 2 you should probably just roam around the wilderness for a while and gain a few more levels. You level up pretty quickly if you just give it time. Then you can explore some of the caves close to Seyda Neen. Make a save before you enter and just reload and walk away if you get one-shotted by whatever is inside. Then you can make your way to Balmora and join a guild or maybe The Temple. Other stuff like breaking the game, becoming a demi-god without breaking the game or joining House Telvanni will come naturally in time.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Man, I remember the first time I played Morrowind and even killing mudcrabs was a challenge, and clearing Addamasartus was a herculean task that took several ingame days and many foraging trips to scrounge up enough money for armor. Good times.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I have 3 sets of dark brotherhood armor on me, and a set of Orcish armor I got from some idiot in a shithole. The merchants have 3, 400 gold maybe and only offer me 1/3 of what each item is worth. Dark Brotherhood pants worth 300 gold? Better give you 97 for it. It's obvious you guys are playing a very different game than I am.

I think you should look around Caldera my friend :ssh:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

If you're only level 2 you should probably just roam around the wilderness for a while and gain a few more levels. You level up pretty quickly if you just give it time. Then you can explore some of the caves close to Seyda Neen. Make a save before you enter and just reload and walk away if you get one-shotted by whatever is inside. Then you can make your way to Balmora and join a guild or maybe The Temple. Other stuff like breaking the game, becoming a demi-god without breaking the game or joining House Telvanni will come naturally in time.

I've already joined house Telvanni and if I had these *useful* spells years ago when I first played MW! Cure poison and disease are worth my weight in drakes.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Well, the latter one is worth way less once you go through roughly half the main quest.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

GuyUpNorth posted:

Well, the latter one is worth way less once you go through roughly half the main quest.

I'll pick up cure blight disease ;)

Speaking of the main quest I haven't even gone to Caius yet and I'm already rank 4 in house Telvanni. So far, my Breton is using Conjration, Mysticism, and Restoration to unknown effect. I summon a bone walker, conjure a dagger, throw on a shield and go stab poo poo while they're distracted by my lovely zombie. Cast heart heal and then look for a place to rest until healed.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Hi, I'm Oggumogoggum. I've changed my name. Similarly, Oggumogoggum's Morrowind Mod compilation has been known as Chocolate Pack for Morrowind for a while and can be found at chocopack.net.

Just wanted to mention this since the OP hasn't been updated with the info.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Made a mage and used the Atronach as my sign. gently caress not having any magicka regeneration.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

And there's no magicka regen between fights?

:lol:

you are a scrublord supreme read what atronach does

Malsgrein posted:

Hi, I'm Oggumogoggum. I've changed my name.

why

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

GuyUpNorth posted:

What kind of nerd does the main quest?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

i'm trying to concatenize my online hypermedia social web 2.0 presence

concatenize is not a word

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
President Goku trolling ITT hard

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

GrumpyDoctor posted:

What kind of nerd does the main quest?

After two years of dicking around in the game, I figured I should, so I did a speed run and completed it at level seven.

It was ok.

To this day, I'd still rather say gently caress it and play an evil Telvanni lord.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Can you get the fists of Randagulf outside of the main quest? That's the only reason I can see to do it

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Edit: ^^ I'm unaware of anything that's actually locked off by the main quest in the base game aside from items expressly given to you. Since it's just an artifact and not tied to a quest, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to just show up ahead of time and snag it.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

That post was ironic and an inside joke. I should have made it clear!

Oh gently caress I forgot this was a humor site.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 10, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Robot Randy posted:

Can you get the fists of Randagulf outside of the main quest? That's the only reason I can see to do it

Pretty sure you can just run in and grab them without dagoth gares even appearing. the UESP says below level 3 the leveled enemies don't even appear

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Mortimer posted:

Pretty sure you can just run in and grab them without dagoth gares even appearing. the UESP says below level 3 the leveled enemies don't even appear

Thats very arousing to say the least

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Edit: ^^ I'm unaware of anything that's actually locked off by the main quest in the base game aside from items expressly given to you. Since it's just an artifact and not tied to a quest, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to just show up ahead of time and snag it.

Is there anything other than the stuff in the Cavern of the Incarnate that you absolutely need to do the main quest to get? (Broken Wraithguard is kind of a grey area here.)

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Malsgrein posted:

Hi, I'm Oggumogoggum. I've changed my name. Similarly, Oggumogoggum's Morrowind Mod compilation has been known as Chocolate Pack for Morrowind for a while and can be found at chocopack.net.

Do you still use my domain for keeping Chocolate Pack up to date? (staglanparty.com)
I see you have mediafire and ge.tt links along side the mirror I have for you, only reason I ask is that my domain was going to expire a few months ago and I renewed it explicitly so that file (and the other ones I host in the OP) would not die off, that being said, I still push out 10 ~ 30+ GB a month in some cases with just the small amount of MW related files I host on that domain.

At some point, probably before the next time it is up for renewal, I will be migrating all data to a different domain I own, just want to see if there is still a need for what is there or not.

I am sure those links are cached and distributed in a poo poo load of more places than just here and your site, so naturally those will die whenever that occurs.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Do you still use my domain for keeping Chocolate Pack up to date? (staglanparty.com)
I see you have mediafire and ge.tt links along side the mirror I have for you, only reason I ask is that my domain was going to expire a few months ago and I renewed it explicitly so that file (and the other ones I host in the OP) would not die off, that being said, I still push out 10 ~ 30+ GB a month in some cases with just the small amount of MW related files I host on that domain.

At some point, probably before the next time it is up for renewal, I will be migrating all data to a different domain I own, just want to see if there is still a need for what is there or not.

I am sure those links are cached and distributed in a poo poo load of more places than just here and your site, so naturally those will die whenever that occurs.

I believe I uploaded the newest to staglanparty, yeah, a number of months ago -- but don't feel like you need to keep the domain up for my sake. The newest public version is still 1.0.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm going to start yet another game but I've never really used GCD before. Mostly I just used a mod that meant you'd have a +5 modifier every time. Do I need to approach skills and such differently using GCD? Can I just use whatever and be fine. I have a soft spot for spears and medium armour but they never struck me as being particularly effective.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Malsgrein posted:

I believe I uploaded the newest to staglanparty, yeah, a number of months ago -- but don't feel like you need to keep the domain up for my sake. The newest public version is still 1.0.

Unlikely I will, will just be moving these files to a different domain and then letting it die more than likely.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Do I need to approach skills and such differently using GCD? Can I just use whatever and be fine.

You can just use whatever and be fine. That's why I like using GCD. I don't want to micromanage the way I play the game just to prevent gimping my character.

Attributes will go up gradually as you increase their related skills. There are no more level-up menus; GCD assigns your character an approximate level based on your attributes to make sure the game's content scaling still works.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
I seem to be having a problem with the Morrowind Code Patch, whenever I apply it Steam gives an Application load error 5:0000065434 message when I try to start the game. Dose anyone know a way to fix this?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Malsgrein posted:

Yeah, I've kinda let the OP lapse a bit over the past few months. I think it had something to do with the 20 PES links in there that don't work anymore and need to be fixed and I just keep saying gently caress it.

There's an older link to the chocolate pack I put in there a while ago but it's not anywhere significant. I'll switch it out for the current one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Yeah, I've kinda let the OP lapse a bit over the past few months. I think it had something to do with the 20 PES links in there that don't work anymore and need to be fixed and I just keep saying gently caress it.

There's an older link to the chocolate pack I put in there a while ago but it's not anywhere significant. I'll switch it out for the current one.

Thanks! Just as a note, Chocolate Pack is meant to totally replace my Morrowind Mod Compilation. They are the same thing. You can probably safely remove the section / link to oggumsmods.exe.