Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$2.96 double features

The Grand Duel/Keoma - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...332HTU73ILCTYYF
Billy Bathgate/Blaze - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...O5J5YGLFROW3VQF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Egbert Souse posted:

January/February Twilight Time (from Home Theater Forum):

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK (1968) BLU-RAY - Jan 20th

Goddamn Twilight Time getting things I want. :negative:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

leokitty posted:

Goddamn Twilight Time getting things I want. :negative:

Just buy it?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Bond 50th Anniversary set on Amazon.ca for $109.99, includes Skyfall.

http://www.amazon.ca/Bond-50-Complete-Collection-Bilingual/dp/B00E98FYEG/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CPL593H posted:

Just buy it?

I assume leo is lamenting the potential bank account hit. Twilight Time releases, while wonderful, run $30.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I hope this guy is mistaken

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

It wouldn't be a surprise if true. Apparently, the Castle in the Sky release had the same issue. Don't know about the Japanese releases though (at least one report claims that the Japanese release of Castle in the Sky has proper subtitles, unlike the US/UK releases).

And of course there's the history with the Kiki's Delivery Service DVD (and Japanese Totoro DVD) having one too.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 7, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So basically it's either buy Disney's lovely version or the much more expensive Japanese release.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does that mean the only English sub is Neil Gaiman's "this tastes like donkey piss" script?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I assume leo is lamenting the potential bank account hit. Twilight Time releases, while wonderful, run $30.

More importantly they have limited edition runs with nothing put back into print, so if you miss the window they become expensive as hell secondhand. They claim they have to do this to be profitable but then Shout Factory puts out the obscurest poo poo without even sweating.

Still pissed that I didn't find out about Golden Voyage of Sinbad until it was long OOP.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

More importantly they have limited edition runs with nothing put back into print, so if you miss the window they become expensive as hell secondhand. They claim they have to do this to be profitable but then Shout Factory puts out the obscurest poo poo without even sweating.

Still pissed that I didn't find out about Golden Voyage of Sinbad until it was long OOP.

That's true, but if you keep up (are on their mailing list), you're pretty covered.

Then again, some of their stuff is available for a long time, even if the print run was only 3k. I think most people don't give a poo poo about upgrading their $4 DVD of "As Good As It Gets" to a $30+ blu-ray.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

GrandpaPants posted:

Does that mean the only English sub is Neil Gaiman's "this tastes like donkey piss" script?

If true, yes. While I'm fond and nostalgic over the english dub, the literal translation track actually had some more plot details in it. It was years before I watched the movie using that subtitle, and I was amazed when it actually gave some history of ashitaka's clan and things like that. I picked up the JP release when it came out last December, and I'm glad I didn't wait. It was only $60-70 off amazon jp (thought it would be twice that).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

They have a different arrangement with studios. I think labels like Criterion and Shout! pay up front licensing, while Twilight Time agrees to print only 3000. I read that they arrange it so that they have broke even when 1500 are sold.

And they're bringing select titles back into print. Fright Night is the first to get a second printing next year and others will follow.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$7.99 each

Scream 1-3 boxset http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...YNSQX6XFMUXEYEX
Green Mile/Forrest Gump http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ODQFKBL3N7RY72M

$12.99 each

Predator 1-3 boxset http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...72EJJSPGSVRTNNF
Rambo 1-3 boxset http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JIKAVGHYWSM2OD6

And the Predator included in the boxset is the latest (DNR'ed to death) edition.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 10, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's a bluray deal thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3027311

EDIT: Yup, I told you this months ago too.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

IUG posted:

EDIT: Yup, I told you this too months ago.

Don't worry about it. I still love ya, buddy :)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
As an Australian who never has to venture into Coupons & Deals, you're doing gods work.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, I finally sold my Metropolis steelbook for $230. Kind of surprised since I listed it at a high price mainly because I didn't want to get rid of it too badly, but I guess I can use the money.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

can someone explain steelbook fetishism to me? I don't get it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rusty Staub posted:

They tend to have special artwork and are actually quite nice. It's as close to having a film can packaging. Metropolis is worth more because pretty much only the pre-orders ended up in people's hands since the rest of the stock was destroyed in a fire during the London riots. Most are retailer-exclusive or online only. Usually the artwork is the original poster rather than a lame Photoshop job (the ones by Arrow and MoC look pretty amazing).

I can't say it's worth $230, though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is that the Masters of Cinema one?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Rusty Staub posted:

People are stupid, I got 200 USD from ebaying Inglorious Basterds and Indiana Jones 4 Futureshop steelbooks. The best though are the slip cover crazies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

As an Australian who never has to venture into Coupons & Deals, you're doing gods work.

I'm an American but also never go into that forum so yes, please keep posting poo poo like this in here because it's the only place I'll ever see it and is also relevant to the topic at hand.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rusty Staub posted:

They're just neat and different. I really only get them if A.) they're the version that's cheaper, or B.) it's a movie I love.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm an American but also never go into that forum so yes, please keep posting poo poo like this in here because it's the only place I'll ever see it and is also relevant to the topic at hand.

The post police is here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Egbert Souse posted:

Wow, I finally sold my Metropolis steelbook for $230. Kind of surprised since I listed it at a high price mainly because I didn't want to get rid of it too badly, but I guess I can use the money.

Christ, where? I have that steelbook.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snowcow posted:

The post police is here.

It sure is:

IUG posted:

EDIT: Yup, I told you this months ago too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've never seen him post his deals in there. And if he's doing it for the referral links, then he would get more if he posted it in more places. I got struck by the deja vu of it after posting the link again.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

IUG posted:

I've never seen him post his deals in there. And if he's doing it for the referral links, then he would get more if he posted it in more places. I got struck by the deja vu of it after posting the link again.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3027311&userid=88471

There's people with bots doing updates in the coupons thread so I don't want to step on their toes. They post there. I post here. It's really not that big of a deal. Just put me on :coupons: if it bugs you so much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have any screenshots/comparisons of the Batman TV series blu yet? I can't seem to find anything online despite it coming out today and seeing several reviews around.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jedit posted:

Amazon US. I was the first one to put it on sale after requesting a page to be opened. The cheapest one up now is $199. But you can buy the regular MoC or Kino editions for about $20 USD.

edit: Gah, I put the Twilight box set in my wish list for a potential Christmas gift for my wife, now my Amazon home page is full of Twilight poo poo. :gonk:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have any screenshots/comparisons of the Batman TV series blu yet? I can't seem to find anything online despite it coming out today and seeing several reviews around.

If what I saw at Comic-Con is anything to go by you have no reason to worry. If you're not worrying and simply curious to see everything for yourself, that's another thing. For what it's worth the only significant detail other than the increased clarity that I noted at CC was a slight decrease in brightness from the broadcasts.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My friend's review:

quote:

It. Looks. Amazing.

It's fair enough to think that this is a foregone conclusion, but you really never know with old TV shows and movies. I've seen cartoons from the 1930s that look pristine, and TV shows from the '70s and '80s that look like a dog crapped on the films. Batman is a show that was both alive with color and beautifully photographed, and it shines on Blu-ray. Seriously, the show looks amazingly, shockingly, wonderfully vibrant in HD. The grain of the film betrays its age a bit, but the world of Batman '66 just looks so new, it'll take your breath away.

It's fun to dip into a period show like Mad Men, which works hard to recreate a time and place from decades gone by, but Batman lives and breathes its own era, in crystal clarity. Not only is the gleaming marvel of the Batmobile writ large, you'll catch yourself idly examining fashion choices and signs in the crowd scenes. One small downside: the makeup suffers a bit, especially Cesar Romero's Joker. His greasepaint-camouflaged mustache wasn't too hard to spot in the old TV days, but it pops right out on Blu-ray! Of course, that's all part of the fun.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 12, 2014

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Jedit posted:

I have two of them (shipping snafu) and had no idea of the back story about the steelbook. I'm tempted now to see what the demand is for it since this would be my rarest disc and/or cover by far.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon US. I was the first one to put it on sale after requesting a page to be opened. The cheapest one up now is $199. But you can buy the regular MoC or Kino editions for about $20 USD.

There are used ones on Amazon UK for £47 and new for £95, if anyone wants to try flipping.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Holy poo poo guys! Criterion is releasing Watership Down in February.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
Random question, but I'm looking to maybe get the Twin Peaks Blu Ray set for some people this Christmas as a gift. I don't really know a lot about it, but I heard it had some audio issues. Did they... fix that? Is it safe to get that as a gift for people or what?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

PriorMarcus posted:

Holy poo poo guys! Criterion is releasing Watership Down in February.

I am pretty stoked about this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rocco posted:

Random question, but I'm looking to maybe get the Twin Peaks Blu Ray set for some people this Christmas as a gift. I don't really know a lot about it, but I heard it had some audio issues. Did they... fix that? Is it safe to get that as a gift for people or what?

I don't think they fixed it, but it seemed to only be an issue on a few, older blu-ray players if I'm remembering right. I had no issues on a PlayStation, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Rocco posted:

If I recall, the only issue with the audio was with the Fire Walk With Me disc in which the audio is just a tad out of sync. It doesn't really become that noticeable until the second act and for me it was only if paid close attention. I, too, was viewing it on a Playstation.

This wasn't a deal breaker for me since Fire Walk With Me was pretty meh as a prequel movie. The rest of the discs look great and the special features+packaging make it totally worth picking up. My dad is a big fan of the show and I'm going to be getting him this for Christmas.

• Locked thread