Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah even the idea isn't bad, it's just... Moffatt tries to do another full-season arc and it's that??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I feel like we should just have one season that has a moritorium on season long arcs and holiday specials. The Christmas themed stuff year in and year out is starting to wear a bit thin for me, and now we have literal Santa Claus. While we're at it, how about the return of the two part episode? Give it to the new guy that wrote Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline, see how he does with it.

I thought Death in Heaven was okay, the conclusion was somewhat lackluster after how good Dark Water was.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

Yep. Again, this is probably another instance where working in the industry fucks things up for me, but every outdoor scene had this over processed muted palette to it that stank of Final Cut in program color correction. I know they don't have that much time to edit episodes but they could of at least used Resolve and aimed for a deeper palette on the final grade.

Just wanna chime in that Resolve is the poo poo. I played with the color auto-correct in FCPX and holy poo poo is it hilariously bad always. Sadly I honestly still do most of my color correction right in Premier.

That said, I didn't quite mind the grading on the outdoor shots (while they were pretty obviously tweaked), but there was one really inconsistent shot when the cybermen were waking out of their graves that was so loving purple I thought it had to be an accident.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Danny rescuing Clara and then taking her to a graveyard was pretty hilariously contrived. Did they even try and handwave it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

HD DAD posted:

Just wanna chime in that Resolve is the poo poo. I played with the color auto-correct in FCPX and holy poo poo is it hilariously bad always. Sadly I honestly still do most of my color correction right in Premier.

That said, I didn't quite mind the grading on the outdoor shots (while they were pretty obviously tweaked), but there was one really inconsistent shot when the cybermen were waking out of their graves that was so loving purple I thought it had to be an accident.

Hahaha! I'd forgot all about that one shot. It was weird as gently caress because I can't figure out why it was so different. Maybe a pick up from a different location?

Quick geeky chat; color correction in Premier is cool. It's legitimately better than Final Cut at it, and can get pretty good results quickly. Unless you're doing something really intense like a full day to night conversion there's not much reason for a separate color grade program. Resolve however is the poo poo, yep.

Premier is basically 10x the program Final Cut is, in my opinion.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Danny rescuing Clara and then taking her to a graveyard was pretty hilariously contrived. Did they even try and handwave it?

No, they didn't make any effort.

Also, is it just me, or do the episode titles make way more sense reversed?

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 10, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm pretty sure Danny took her to the graveyard because it was in the thick of everything so that she could understand when he asked her to pull the plug on him.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
You know, I keep thinking about the episode and it just gets worse. The same thing happened with Forest of the Night. Like, does being the show runner just completely drain people of their intelligence? Moffat wrote some of the best episodes, and now this is the poo poo he's chucking out. It's like he's exhausted, but he won't step down and let someone who doesn't hate their job take control.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Do the events of Death in Heaven with the CyberBrig mean that...Adric came back as a Cyberman?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dabir posted:

Sounds like Moffat needs a bit more stress then.

MOFFAT, BUILD ME AN ARC!

Right!!! ....what's an arc?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Do the events of Death in Heaven with the CyberBrig mean that...Adric came back as a Cyberman?

That is one bridge too far, even for the Master.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

That is one bridge too far, even for the Master.

The Doctor finishes smashing his console and crying, realizing that Gallifrey is still lost to him, when a robotic voice chimes in behind him; "CHEER UP, DOCTOR. LOOK, I EVEN BROUGHT MY BADGE."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bicyclops posted:

The Doctor finishes smashing his console and crying, realizing that Gallifrey is still lost to him, when a robotic voice chimes in behind him; "CHEER UP, DOCTOR. LOOK, I EVEN BROUGHT MY BADGE."

This reminds me: the big pink piece of paper, with massive hand writing on it from the morgue that Danny carried around was the dumbest loving thing ever. Moffat had absolutely no faith in his audience.

Which is odd, cause usually he expects us to do most of the heavy lifting for him.

Even more ridiculous was what the paper had wrote on it; "Known as Danny Pink" What the gently caress does that even mean? Why is that on a form in a morgue.

Why is Danny still on the slab days after his accident?!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I am really excited by how 12 will handle Santa. 11 would have been really excited, because that was just kind of his default state, but how will Grumpy, Old, and Scottish handle it?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Oh Missy you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind. Hey Missy! Hey Missy!"
:allears:

1. Roger Delgado
2. Michelle Gomez
3. Derek Jacobi
4. John Simm
5. Anthony Ainley
6. Geoffrey Beevers
7. Peter Pratt
8. The Snake
9. Eric Roberts

Haven't heard MacQueen yet.

I'll go against the grain and say I really liked this episode. This 2 parter finale was much tighter plotted than Moffat's usual. His tendency to "get dizzy if he wrote in a straight line" is not on display here--there were actually few crazy twists and less of the whole "heaping more and more wild stuff on top of what you've already thought was the limit." Cyberbrig was bad, but not as bad as it was implied in the spoilers--I thought we'd see some horrible CGI Zombrig. If you think that's bad, there was a rumor that we'd see CyberZombie Amy and Rory clawing out of their graves (probably because it looks like the same graveyard).

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

This reminds me: the big pink piece of paper, with massive hand writing on it from the morgue that Danny carried around was the dumbest loving thing ever. Moffat had absolutely no faith in his audience.

Which is odd, cause usually he expects us to do most of the heavy lifting for him.

Even more ridiculous was what the paper had wrote on it; "Known as Danny Pink" What the gently caress does that even mean? Why is that on a form in a morgue.

Why is Danny still on the slab days after his accident?!

Not that you aren't right for the most part, but I the "Known as" thing might be because his legal name is Rupert Pink, if I'm remembering 'Listen' correctly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PriorMarcus posted:

I've long since given up on any show relying on the audience to actually put 2+2 together without the assistance of voice-overs, dramatic zooms, signposted props or flashbacks. CyberDanny carrying that paper around was particularly egregious, mostly because after doing it once they had at least one other moment where they made a point of showing he was holding it, as well as I think a close-up when he crumpled it and dropped it to the ground.

To be fair, I read a lot of discussion (not just for Doctor Who) where it seems that even intelligent people completely miss incredibly obvious moments even WITH that assistance, or read wild alternate takes on what they could possibly mean. So maybe shows have just decided having no faith in their audience should be the default setting.

That's also one of the many reasons The Wire is so good, because outside of a couple of moments forced on them by outside influence, the showmakers aggressively refused to use any of that shorthand and left it to the audience to ever keep up or get lost and fall behind.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
CyberBrig wasn't too bad. Yes, the actor who played the character passed on, but isn't giving the character a final scene where he's shown both saving his daughter and shooting the Master a pretty good tribute?

If they revisit it, yeah, it's in poor taste, but the scene was a tribute to the character as much as 11's phone call was a tribute to the actor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Funnily enough, I think it was a case of Moffat doing the same kind of thing that RTD often did - doing something because he thought of it and felt it would be a really nice moment without thinking any deeper about it. People have questioned whether the CyberBrig will show up again or if he's gone off to have adventures himself etc. Personally I think the sum total of the thinking that went into it was that Moffat felt it would be a nice emotional moment to have the Brigadier save his daughter, then to have the Doctor salute him. When the Brigadier flew away, I figure he flew off Moffat's page and disappeared forever (or blew himself up somewhere so he could go back to resting in peace).

Really it was more about a father being willing to do anything to protect their child and not letting anything, including death, stop them. It's just that once it's written and the initial,"Hell yeah, the Brigadier!" wears off you're left thinking,"So now what...?"

I think the answer to that is,"Nothing."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Astroman posted:

I'll go against the grain and say I really liked this episode.

I got your back. I loving loved this season finale. I mean, I understand people may have wanted less ham in Gomez' performance but, you know, bananas.

I thought Moffat blew this one out of the water as well as he did in Day of the Doctor. If anything, that's Moffat's problem: He gets his mind set on a big arc, he plans it out well and executes it even better, and then he proceeds to go "Oh, right, there's other episodes. I don't know, just have them wander around or something." while the junior writers all go :sigh: simultaneously.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Emerson Cod posted:

If they revisit it, yeah, it's in poor taste, but the scene was a tribute to the character as much as 11's phone call was a tribute to the actor.

So no spin-off of The Adventures of Cyber-Brig and Jenny, the doctor's daughter gallivanting through time and space?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

An Ounce of Gold posted:

So no spin-off of The Adventures of Cyber-Brig and Jenny, the doctor's daughter gallivanting through time and space?

Sure, add Rusty to that crew and you've got a new Trio.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

I got your back. I loving loved this season finale.

I really enjoyed it a lot :)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

That's also one of the many reasons The Wire is so good, because outside of a couple of moments forced on them by outside influence, the showmakers aggressively refused to use any of that shorthand and left it to the audience to ever keep up or get lost and fall behind.
It's also not aimed at children who often need these cues

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I would have been more okay with the Master killing Osgood if she didn't magically teleport across the room before she did it while two guards were standing next to her.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

jng2058 posted:

Each season is pretty self-contained, though. I mean, yeah, there was some carryover from Series 5 to 6 with the Silence Will Fall stuff, but that's not the case with Capaldi. With Clara pretty much out the door and the Master presumed dead, what's left to tie up? Pretty much just finding Gallifrey, and you can take that or leave it.

Speaking of, I think that's what really bugs me about this two-parter. We have that plot thread just hanging out there, and it's a pretty good one; Gallifrey is out there somewhere, with all those Time Lords and their technology. Not only does that mean the Master's back in play, but so is Rassilon, so is the Rani, so is the most technologically advanced race around, and so is the Dalek's crusade against them. Gallifrey being back could be huge.

But they're not doing anything with it. This one had the potential to do something with it; the Master's around, with Time Lord technology taken from Gallifrey, and using it to get at the Doctor by way of the Cybermen. She even knows where Gallifrey is, since she came from there. But they didn't use any of that. The lead dried up with Missy's death, and we're back to square one; we know Gallifrey's out there, but we don't know what that means, if anything.

I keep going back to a hypothetical version of Dark Water/Death in Heaven without the Master, because even though I loved Gomez's performance I felt it kind of superfluous. And that would've done a lot better at furthering that plot point, too; the Cybermen are perfect 'starting leads' for that sort of mystery, because they're quiet. The Master would (and did) gloat in the Doctor's face, the Daleks would have screeched and gone on the warpath, the Sontarans would immediatley take up arms, but the Cybermen wouldn't raise a fuss.

Picture THAT angle being the one we went with. The Cybermen are on Earth, doing their thing with a new technological edge; they've upgraded themselves to be able to convert the dead, they have a new technological setup to turn them into a hive-mind data cloud, and they are doing WAY too well at this to not be using some form of time travel or dimensional shenanigans. For all these advancements, though, they're still Cybermen; utterly unable to understand anything outside their own process, and failing miserably at handling the issue of emotions.

As daunting as upgraded Cybermen are, and as much damage as they can potentially do, they're done in by the same failings they've always had, the same problems that will always plague them, because they're not programmed to recognize them. But in the process of that happening, the Doctor finds out how they got that edge. Maybe he figured it out by himself, maybe he wrested it from a Cyberman who wouldn't tell him anything else. But he finds out that the Cybermen got Gallifreyan tech. Exactly how they have that, we don't know: maybe a Time Lord gave it to them as part of an extended plan, maybe they salvaged it from a planet still ravaged by war, maybe the War Council gave it to them to wage a proxy war. What we do know is this: the Daleks are hunting for it, and the Doctor is searching for it, but the Cybermen found Gallifrey. And regardless of the specifics, that's a lead to follow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's also not aimed at children who often need these cues

Yeah, but I was being more general about tv shows, very few nowadays don't involve some kind of shortcut handholding explanations for the viewer of exactly what connection they're supposed to make/how they're supposed to feel.

But yeah, Doctor Who is a family show so I guess this type of thing is going to be more prevalent. It's one of the reasons so much of the companion's role is saying,"Explain what is happening right now, Doctor."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought it was pretty good, but a little messy. A lot of plot elements and characters introduced and then quickly dispensed with, and quite a slow pace. It felt very much in the style of an RTD episode, with its global focus, government agencies, and various meanderings, and I don't think that's generally to its credit. It was still pretty good though! I feel much the same as I did about Forest of the Night: various good bits, interesting ideas, nice scenes, but as a whole it hangs together rather loosely.

I loved the Master but I'm kind of sad we probably won't get to see her again for a season or two, too brief this candle burnt, etc. Hopefully she's still Gomez for the next go-round.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think they missed an opportunity when The Master wasn't killed by five shots in quick succession.

:golfclap:

That was a Bad Episode, but there was just enough good stuff in it to make it enjoyable.

I rolled my eyes pretty hard when I saw the set up they had for imprisoning the Master. There wasn't even any suspense- I was waiting for her to kill everyone in the room just so that the story would stop dragging. They even had The Doctor hint that he would take Osgood along as a Companion just to let you know that, yes, she is about to die pointlessly because why not.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Christ, Danny was even more of a prick than before. I am glad he's dead - she deserved better.

'All officers are arseholes because I machine-gunned a child without looking'

'Let's ask my girlfriend to kill me with her bare hands because I am sad. I am sure that guilt won't follow her around for the rest of her life'

'I won't come back to my grieving girlfriend and instead condemn her to a life of grief because I want to assuage my guilt about the little boy I murdered'

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

spog posted:

Christ, Danny was even more of a prick than before. I am glad he's dead - she deserved better.

'All officers are arseholes because I machine-gunned a child without looking'

'Let's ask my girlfriend to kill me with her bare hands because I am sad. I am sure that guilt won't follow her around for the rest of her life'

'I won't come back to my grieving girlfriend and instead condemn her to a life of grief because I want to assuage my guilt about the little boy I murdered'

I want to think more of him, because I liked Samuel Anderson and I liked the character, but... yeah, he was a stubborn, selfish rear end in a top hat. I could easily see him being relieved of that flaw if given proper context, but he kind of wasn't.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oh, hello old friend :gonk:

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

:allears: oh man it's been so long.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That man needs to see a doctor

But probably not the one he was expecting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Goddamnit, I'm at work!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

Goddamnit, I'm at work!

Not anymore you're not.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Wow its been a while

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
the goatman's going to be the 13th doctor

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Bigger on the inside than the outside.

At least it is in the right thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I was just looking for dr who watching tips for me and mt child and you send me to goatass you monster

• Locked thread