Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

coathat posted:

Anyone ever use one of these Tri-vise things? http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Vise-PVL001-4-Plate-Vise/dp/B0035BBI52

Seems like it could save me hauling out my sawhorses when the horses break a fence board.

My dad has one. It is alright for cutting stuff that doesn't need to be perfect like a fence board. But I honestly prefer a speed square to mark my line and whatever scrap wood or rock is conveniently located to prop the board up on. I have never used it for pipe or anything but some 2x4 so my opinion may not count for all the other functionality it claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
Just found a great article about turning your garage into a woodworking/blacksmithing workshop as a newbie. It specifically mentions how to buy tools to start:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/09/27/how-to-turn-your-garage-into-a-blacksmithing-woodworking-shop/

Maybe some people can get some use out of that. I've seen it brought up a few times.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Don't ditch the wheels unless you have some other way to keep them up off the floor, like wood blocks or something.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doctor Zero posted:

Actually I meant to say the *Delta* table saw. This is the one. Looked nice and solid for the price. Anyone know if they ever go on sale?

I've heard of them dropping to $549 but they are pretty new yet so probably not too often. Delta is coming out with a bunch more saws in the series so maybe there will be sales then. If you haven't seen the 2 big threads on this saw over at Lumberjocks, look them up; lots of good info and helpful tips.

WobblySausage posted:

Just found a great article about turning your garage into a woodworking/blacksmithing workshop as a newbie. It specifically mentions how to buy tools to start:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/09/27/how-to-turn-your-garage-into-a-blacksmithing-woodworking-shop/

Maybe some people can get some use out of that. I've seen it brought up a few times.

"... we tend not to build living structures that reflect how we actually live. Homes are sometimes built to impress the people outside rather than be comfortable for those inside."

Interesting as my train of thought the last year or two has been that I would be perfectly happy with a big workshop with a tiny house in the back.

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 10, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

wormil posted:

Interesting as my train of thought the last year or two has been that I would be perfectly happy with a big workshop with a tiny house in the back.

A buddy of mine built a 3k square foot metal building, and in the back corner built a 800 square foot bachelor pad. He can walk from his bathroom to his welder to his woodworking area without putting on pants or going outside.

Having seen the thing, I'm desperately trying to figure out how I can do the same thing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

A buddy of mine built a 3k square foot metal building, and in the back corner built a 800 square foot bachelor pad. He can walk from his bathroom to his welder to his woodworking area without putting on pants or going outside.

Having seen the thing, I'm desperately trying to figure out how I can do the same thing.

Just FYI: welding without pants isn't a great idea.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

spog posted:

The first time, sure, but once you've built up some calluses it's fine.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

coathat posted:

Anyone ever use one of these Tri-vise things? http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Vise-PVL001-4-Plate-Vise/dp/B0035BBI52

Seems like it could save me hauling out my sawhorses when the horses break a fence board.

Get this instead.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771-LLL001_0__?productId=3116981

I use one at work occasionally. It's pretty handy. Too much paint on the spot for 2x8, at least for treated wood. Had to hit it with the grinder for a minute to get it to slide over. Otherwise it's great for quick stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

spog posted:

We have a saying in our house: Everything's more fun naked, except cooking with grease.

Welding is a similar exception, but you get the idea.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

canyoneer posted:

We have a saying in our house: Everything's more fun naked, except cooking with grease.

Relevant to the current discussion
NWS http://i.imgur.com/NVvc6lf.jpg

Found that in the Blacksmithing thread.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's going to be an interesting sunburn.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hypnolobster posted:

Get this instead.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_201222-89771-LLL001_0__?productId=3116981

I use one at work occasionally. It's pretty handy. Too much paint on the spot for 2x8, at least for treated wood. Had to hit it with the grinder for a minute to get it to slide over. Otherwise it's great for quick stuff.

drat that looks useful but I can't see anything like it in the UK. I could cad one up and get it laser cut cheap enough though, I might do that as a present for myself when I have the cash.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Pewter casting. Well, any metal casting, but pewter you can do on the kitchen stove.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
20% coupon not factored in, what's the best price you've seen on the HF 12" double bevel slider? It's $199 right now, but I think I've seen it lower(?)

I have a bitchen Makita 10" compound slider that I love, but it's no good for anything over 12" wide. It just so happens that the stair treads I'm making are 12.5 and I need to cut them to finish length this coming weekend. I know I can make it work with the Makita, but I've been kind of wanting an excuse to see what all the fuss is about with the HF slider.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Have a table saw? Make a quick sled and use it.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

the spyder posted:

Have a table saw? Make a quick sled and use it.

I do, and that's definitely an idea so thanks.

I'm just very paranoid about making the final cuts on these treads / risers. I spent the last 4 days living in the garage sanding, putting down coats of poly, more sanding, more poly...

I even went so far as to drive to Vegas so I could buy Oil based Polyurethane which isn't available here in California anymore.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Sointenly posted:

I do, and that's definitely an idea so thanks.

I'm just very paranoid about making the final cuts on these treads / risers. I spent the last 4 days living in the garage sanding, putting down coats of poly, more sanding, more poly...

I even went so far as to drive to Vegas so I could buy Oil based Polyurethane which isn't available here in California anymore.

Measure 2x cut 1x! You'll be fine...

I think this is the best price I've seen:

(source: http://slickdeals.net/f/7150778-12-in-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-109-99-harbor-freight)

12 In. Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw With Laser Guide System $109.99 @ Harbor Freight
Harbor Freight's quarterly parking lot sale starts tomorrow, and as is typical, the deals on the website are early by a day. As such, the 25% off coupon (83222653) can stack today (it won't tomorrow), and you can score the saw for $103 + $6.99 (S&H) = $109.99. If you go to the store and have them PM their online price and use the coupon on top of that, you can get it for even cheaper (YMMV on that).

This is a pretty good deal on this saw. Best price you can normally get is around $130 after coupon. It's worth noting that this saw has increased in price for the third PL sale in a row (August '13 was $125 [harborfreight.com], March was $130, June was $133, and August is $137), so if you want it, I would suggest getting it before it goes higher next time. It seems that the price keeps going up courtesy of the couple awards it won.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-i...-9104.html

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Has anyone made a horizontal mortiser? I have a spare old router with no real home and access to a shitload of aluminum extrusion. I was trying to understand whether an xy table setup was worth the effort.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm basically completely clueless and need advice on buying an electric drill for home use. Right now I need it just to fasten some legs onto a hardwood table but there have been several times in the past where I needed one and had to borrow, which is quickly becoming a hassle. Thing is, I have no idea what I need. The guy at the local hardware store presented a 235 dollar Black & Decker drill with two batteries, some sort of auto speed sensor and driver for hard surfaces as the only sensible option. Which, uh, seems a bit overkill for something that's only going to be used a couple times a year for fixtures and furniture?

Eh, if it was computer hardware I'd be able to discern the common sense from the bullshit, but it's not. I get the feeling it's not something I want to completely cheap out on though. Help!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That's a lot to pay for a Black & Decker, you'll get an 18V Makita impact driver and drill kit for a little less than that from Home Depot.

Makita, Milwaukee, Panasonic. Those are the top 3 brands as far as I've been able to gather. I got a pair of 18v Makitas myself. At my work where they build & assemble wooden hot tubs, saunas and stuff, they use 12V Milwaukees for most of the work and that seems to be enough.

Perhaps the Milwaukee M12 might be suitable for you if you aren't going to be driving heavy nails into studs and walls and whatnot, I've done a few of that when building shelves for lumber storage and I was driving huge rear end lag bolts into the wall, for that it was good to have an 18V, but a 12V would be sufficient for everything else and you can get a drill and impact driver combo kit for $130.

And everyone I've seen has spoken well about panasonics and them being a brand not associated with powertools, but that they're professional quality.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tim Thomas posted:

Has anyone made a horizontal mortiser? I have a spare old router with no real home and access to a shitload of aluminum extrusion. I was trying to understand whether an xy table setup was worth the effort.

Probably.

Plans here: http://woodgears.ca/slot_mortiser/index.html

SHould adapt to being made of aluminium fairly well.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Really, if you ever wonder "Has anyone made X?" then just go to woodgears.ca and look around first. Chances are high you'll find it there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hmmm, put out an ad for a bandsaw to see what if any resposne I got. One dude answered quickly and said he has a motorless mystery cast iron bandsaw (seller says it has 23-27" wheels, wasn't sure, been in a warehouse for a long time) for 150 euros.

Another guy answered and said he has a Scheppach, unknown model, says it has a floor stand with wheels, 1200W motor, almost new becaue the previous owner died before he could use it much, for 300:-

I need to go look at them ofcourse, I wish people weren't so loving incompetent they can't even send pictures via email or phone in 2014.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm basically completely clueless and need advice on buying an electric drill for home use. Right now I need it just to fasten some legs onto a hardwood table but there have been several times in the past where I needed one and had to borrow, which is quickly becoming a hassle. Thing is, I have no idea what I need. The guy at the local hardware store presented a 235 dollar Black & Decker drill with two batteries, some sort of auto speed sensor and driver for hard surfaces as the only sensible option. Which, uh, seems a bit overkill for something that's only going to be used a couple times a year for fixtures and furniture?

Eh, if it was computer hardware I'd be able to discern the common sense from the bullshit, but it's not. I get the feeling it's not something I want to completely cheap out on though. Help!

All of my power tools are Ryobi and I have never had a problem with them, unless you are planning on using it all the time I think it's a perfectly brand for home and hobbyist use.

They may not have the bells and whistles of the higher end stuff, but they have always worked just fine for me. I just got a Ryobi mitre saw and it was perfectly fine, the dewalts and makitas were nice to, but I can't justify the additional cost really.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It lives!

8" Emco planer, fitted with a 3-phase 5.3HP engine :D

Still some work todo on it but I got the worst part (new motor and electrics) behind me, I hope, it functions. Next up a new fence and guard.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dhrusis posted:

Measure 2x cut 1x!

I've been more a fan of "measure twice, curse never".

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I can't help reading it as "Measure tooks, cut wonks!"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Measure twice with three different tape measures, mark the wrong side, cut badly, swear continuously.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The best is when you mark and cut a piece you already cut for something else.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Hmm. So I inherited my dad's Shopsmith Mk V that's older than I am, but he babied the thing more than he did me. It doesn't look it from the dust, but this thing is seriously clean. The only thing wrong is the switch is broken, but I figure I can replace that, although I'm not sure why he didn't - there must be a catch.

I hadn't decided on keeping it or not, but looking at it again, I think I want to. My wife actually said I could still buy a table saw (she's a keeper!) so I was thinking to use the Shopsmith for the bandsaw, sander, and drill press components. I also was think I could set it up with a dado blade so I don't have to change the blade on the table saw. I think I have enough room for both, especially since the Delta table saw I want to get moves out of the way quite easily.

Not shown is all the accessories and tables and things. I think he has everything but the dust management system, Unfortunately I probably won't be able to go get it until the spring (I have to go get his motorcycle too).

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I'm very jealous- that is sick.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

wormil posted:

The best is when you mark and cut a piece you already cut for something else.

I've been doing a lot of shop projects at work lately, carts, cabinets, fancy tool hangers, etc. We work 10h days, and I usually push my shop days even longer because I'm having fun, but good lord I've learned that I completely fall apart after about hour 9. I've been halfway through assembling cabinet carcasses and found one panel the wrong size after spreading glue about 3 times now. Lots of pocket holes on the wrong side, lots of dowels referenced off the wrong edge, etc.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Has anyone used the makita track saw? The stuff I have read about the grizzly makes me want to avoid it, but I am not laying out for the festool track saw even if it is drat nice.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Does anyone have experience with Hitachi tech support? I have a 15-gauge gas powered finish nailer that worked great for about 10 minutes and then only fires when it feels like it. I get maybe 3-4 nails out of it and then it just dies. If I let it sit and whapp it with my hand a few times it'll fire another 3-4 nails and then dies again.

My father-in-law bought it over a year ago so the warranty is shot, the lame part is that it's just been sitting new in the box until I spotted it and decided to test it out.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Hmm. So I inherited my dad's Shopsmith Mk V that's older than I am...

I'd love to see some close ups or hear experiences actually using these things. I see them all the time on Craigslist - the universal opinion seems to be "jack of all trades, master of none".

Considering they still make them was never sure how true that was.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
- Good Deal -

Milwaukee M12 Drill, impact driver, 2 x standard batteries, 1 x M12 Fuel battery - $99

The kit without the Fuel battery goes for $99 usually.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...25X-_-205482513

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Sointenly posted:

- Good Deal -

Milwaukee M12 Drill, impact driver, 2 x standard batteries, 1 x M12 Fuel battery - $99

The kit without the Fuel battery goes for $99 usually.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...25X-_-205482513

drat I've been wanting something to replace my 18v Hitachi NiCd drill with 2 mostly dead batteries for a bit. This seems like a solid deal, but I keep thinking these little 12v seem so dinky. I'm sure it would be more than enough for most everything I do at home though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dirty Beluga posted:

I'd love to see some close ups or hear experiences actually using these things. I see them all the time on Craigslist - the universal opinion seems to be "jack of all trades, master of none".

Considering they still make them was never sure how true that was.

He had two of them. He added a gray and orange later model but my brother in law is getting that one. My dad used them for bowl turning most recently but when I was a kid he would do all sorts of things on it. When I was younger I wasn't allowed to mess with it but then when I was a dumb teenager and he actually tried to show me how to use it I wasn't all that interested. I'll pretty much have to learn it all. I'll make an effort in post when I get it.

The thing is a tank though. I'm serious that it's older than me and I'm olde. :corsair: it's been going strong forever although I think he did have to fix something in the motor a couple years ago.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Falco posted:

drat I've been wanting something to replace my 18v Hitachi NiCd drill with 2 mostly dead batteries for a bit. This seems like a solid deal, but I keep thinking these little 12v seem so dinky. I'm sure it would be more than enough for most everything I do at home though.

I'd say 95% of what I do at the house, the 12v's are more than enough for. It's nice to have a 18v set around for heavier duty projects, but those are few and far between for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Falco posted:

I keep thinking these little 12v seem so dinky. I'm sure it would be more than enough for most everything I do at home though.

We have two of these sets, minus the large battery, at work. One we got several years ago, and one I just bought on sale a few months ago. I quite often use them all day, every day, and if I need something more powerful, I get out a corded drill or screw-gun. I'm contemplating buying a third set since he posted that deal. They really are that nice.