Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Holy moly if you are measuring the purchase of a game console in terms of your net worth, and video games are "assets" which contribute to that net worth in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

that reddit thread posted:

quote:

Are you highly intelligent, but easily distracted and constantly uncommitted to your work? Or are you a moron?
I have severe depression and anxiety disorder, which has gone untreated because latter. I find it hard to be motivated to do much at all. I'm not saying this for sympathy, just explaining I guess.
I wonder how many of these bad with money stories wouldn't exist if people would see a therapist. :smith:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They also wouldn't exist if they thought for about five minute about the consequences of any given decision but yeah, that's (unironically) a lot to ask of a lot of people.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Not a Children posted:

It came from Reddit:

Apparently Drexel costs over $80k a year now? Dude can't even flee the country because his parents are on the hook for his loans. Lots of people suggesting he go work on an oil rig for a few years...

Oh good God. :psyduck:

How the heck does someone change majors 5 times? Why would anyone want to go through that administrative headache more than twice?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

District Selectman posted:

Holy moly if you are measuring the purchase of a game console in terms of your net worth, and video games are "assets" which contribute to that net worth in any meaningful way.

I assumed he/she was in high school, when i was in high school pretty much all my net worth was video games and lacrosse gear.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

melon cat posted:

How the heck does someone change majors 5 times? Why would anyone want to go through that administrative headache more than twice?

I never changed first majors but I dropped a second major and added a new one with one email apiece. It helped that I started taking the classes I needed well in advance of sending the email and proved I knew what I was getting into.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ranbo das posted:

I assumed he/she was in high school, when i was in high school pretty much all my net worth was video games and lacrosse gear.

Same except replace lacrosse with musical instruments but if you're saying Halo is preventing you from shooting up a school, you probably need a therapist anyway.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Renegret posted:

Same except replace lacrosse with musical instruments but if you're saying Halo is preventing you from shooting up a school, you probably need a therapist anyway.

If your game console is your net worth you aren't getting a therapist.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

VideoTapir posted:

If your game console is your net worth you aren't getting a therapist.

Depends on your parent's insurance as well, to be fair. If your game console is your net worth you probably haven't taken on adult responsibilities yet, and therefore probably under 26.

I saw something a little unusual on the train the other day. A beggar got on the train and started doing his thing. What made this guy special is that he was incredibly young and well spoken. His story was that he was $60k in debt from his communication degree, and was homeless because he lost his job as a line cook when he was assaulted on a train and his hand broken in three places.

Based off of his accent, I don't think he was around here. I wouldn't be surprised if he was chasing the American Dream and moved to New York with very little, hoping to land a job and pull his life together. The rear end in a top hat in me couldn't get by the sixty grand in student loan debt for a god drat Communication degree though. It explains why he was such a well spoken panhandler though.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 9, 2014

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

A friend of mine changed majors twice in 3 years. A standard degree over here is only 3 years. She felt pretty bad about it as she saw all her friends finishing their degrees and she had done the first year of three different degrees. She switching to a nursing degree and stuck with it after that.

Either poor performance or deciding that each major sucked led to this. However with that many changes in major there should be an idea in your head that maybe a degree isn't what you are after.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

AA is for Quitters posted:

Do you not read your paystubs? I always check mine to make sure the deductions are right, and i definitely would have noticed my $40/paycheck not going into my 401k.

This. This poo poo right here. My coworker and I started about a couple weeks within each other. After 3 months something happened and his wife's insurance was denied. He researched it and found that he was never charged. When you're listed as not having insurance you get another $50 from the company. So now he owed back insurance pay as well as the extra $50 or some per paycheck. And he wasn't worried (fucker). BUT HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW THIS??? How in the gently caress do you NOT KNOW what's supposed to come out of your goddamn check?? It just "didn't occur to him". I don't even know!!

Hey, I may not be the best at money, but I know what comes out and why and check at least every other paycheck. poo poo.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Plus you should be extra super double vigilant in examining your first couple paychecks at a new job, to make sure everything got set up correctly.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Devian666 posted:

Either poor performance or deciding that each major sucked led to this. However with that many changes in major there should be an idea in your head that maybe a degree isn't what you are after.
I definitely agree. If you find yourself jumping back-and-forth between majors (and not finishing anything) it's time to step back from school, and really re-evaluate your career possibilities. I know a lot of people who seem to have used full-time student status as an excuse to avoid "adult life" in the workforce. Sometimes they're hop-scotching between majors, but sometimes they're enrolling in expensive graduate programs for really dubious reasons. I knew someone in undergrad who wasn't rich by any stretch of the imagination, but decided to pursue a Masters in Refugee Studies at Oxford University in the UK. She paid about £15,000 for 2 years for this program (International student). Graduated, worked a few low-paying research jobs, and now teaches English in Korea. Nothing wrong with teaching English overseas, but you sure as hell shouldn't go into debt getting a Masters in a liberal arts program to do that.

And not only is there financial cost to doing this weird dance of indecisiveness, but there's also a time cost. If you spend 2-3 years constantly making impulsive program decisions that you end up turning back on, that's 2-3 years of lost income from employment.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 9, 2014

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Guinness posted:

Plus you should be extra super double vigilant in examining your first couple paychecks at a new job, to make sure everything got set up correctly.

Everyone I know that's worked hourly knows to always pay attention for clock-in discrepancies, too.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

And not only is there financial cost to doing this weird dance of indecisiveness, but there's also a time cost. If you spend 2-3 years constantly making impulsive program decisions that you end up turning back on, that's 2-3 years of lost income from employment.

That time cost is why I couldn't cope with doing any more than my masters degree. Although the masters degree is where I make 99% of my money at the moment.

Even when I started first year I'd picked all of the papers necessary to maintain the maximum flexibility so I could change direction without taking any more time to complete either a science or engineering degree. Although the planning helps it's really sticking with your degree that counts for saving time. Of course I know people who quit university after their first or second year and it was the best decision they made.

It does make me wonder how much the parents were an influence on poor decision making despite making him poor with student loans. Nothing like family putting on pressure to get a degree you never liked, or even if you never wanted the education.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Devian666 posted:

It does make me wonder how much the parents were an influence on poor decision making despite making him poor with student loans. Nothing like family putting on pressure to get a degree you never liked, or even if you never wanted the education.

This right here is "parents, high school administrators and society being bad with other people's money". It's pushed so hard that you must go to college to succeed that a lot of kids, including those that know that they are in no way shape or form ready for college, wind up in massive student loan debt for unfinished degrees.

Whereas if they had just gone off and done retail for a year or two while thinking about what they wanted to do for a living, maybe taking some CC courses in a bunch of different fields so they can find something they like now that it's removed from the slog and grind of HS busywork, they'd A) likely have some money saved up for school, and B) be way way more likely to finish their degree.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I wonder how many of these bad with money stories wouldn't exist if people would see a therapist. :smith:

Therapy is BAD with money. Unless you make 70k+ a year and are debt free, seeing a therapist is fiscally irresponsible to the utmost degree. Even with great insurance, it's still probably going to cost you about a day (or 2) of earnings you will never be able to recover to talk with a person for an hour. Forget that people who could benefit from therapy likely have trouble maintaining/obtaining employment. I think people suggest therapy too freely with a lack of foresight, it's very expensive and could very well contribute to financial ruin.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

AA is for Quitters posted:

This right here is "parents, high school administrators and society being bad with other people's money". It's pushed so hard that you must go to college to succeed that a lot of kids, including those that know that they are in no way shape or form ready for college, wind up in massive student loan debt for unfinished degrees.

Before going to university the push for degrees was there and because New Zealand was in a bad recession studying was a better option than having no job. Problem is that message has persisted and we have too many university graduates. The majority being in completely useless degrees as well, fortunately the loans are much smaller. As far as I can tell it seems to be far worse in the US and with much larger non-federal loans.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

Therapy is BAD with money. Unless you make 70k+ a year and are debt free, seeing a therapist is fiscally irresponsible to the utmost degree. Even with great insurance, it's still probably going to cost you about a day (or 2) of earnings you will never be able to recover to talk with a person for an hour. Forget that people who could benefit from therapy likely have trouble maintaining/obtaining employment. I think people suggest therapy too freely with a lack of foresight, it's very expensive and could very well contribute to financial ruin.

:allears:

Folly
May 26, 2010

That argument can be applied or misapplied just as well to any medical treatment.

But SA does seem to treat therapy like some kind of magic bullet for mental health. I think we use "talk to a therapist" idiomatically. We're really saying "find a way to improve your mental health."

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Therapy by itself can be, but therapy with medication could save a lot of people with untreated mental illnesses that are causing them to gently caress off about work, bills, etc. Getting treatment for mental illness is not bad with money, it's like telling someone who has cancer that "chemo and radiation are expensive, even with good insurance, don't go!"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I spent about $3000 on therapy over two years and without it I wouldn't even have applied to my current job, which came with a 5k raise.

poo poo I'd probably have killed myself a while back. I'm not sure what the cost benefit analysis on that is.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

poo poo I'd probably have killed myself a while back. I'm not sure what the cost benefit analysis on that is.

Thirty years of lost income and investment income. Potentially millions. It's never worth someone killing themselves.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

I spent about $3000 on therapy over two years and without it I wouldn't even have applied to my current job, which came with a 5k raise.

Eh, I spent less but it got me nowhere. It was nice to have someone to talk to though. Not to get all E/N, but I get depressed because I'm lonely. A therapist isn't going to magically make me not lonely.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

I don't know what experience you've had, but I pay less for a session of therapy than I make in an hour. And for that I get the chance to talk about my problems with an objective observer who can prescribe me helpful medication.

Maybe I have great insurance; I think it's pretty average. Even if I didn't, though, I'd think it was worth at least a few exploratory visits to get my head on straight.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My wife is bad with money sometimes. I suggest going to Costco to get the huge cheap bottles of booze and she is like "no no, I don't want to have a huge bottle around".

So she Is literally willing to spend 20%more for a smaller bottle because it "looks nicer" grrrraaaaaa! She does this on other stuff. Spend money on the more expensive thing because of some minor tangential detail be it looks or "we don't need two right away, so get the package of just one FOR THE SAME PRICE". Drives me up the wall.

Of course I don't let her do this but left to her own devices I think she'd spend on average 15%more on stuff and have a lot less for it.

This is probably something a lot of us may be guilty of. She'd rather buy something really important like...house paint or appliances or some such and skimp on price. More than once I find myself getting a higher quality replacement later increasing the total cost of the item or project.

She's not terrible with money but....yeah she's kind of bad when it comes to spending. Great at saving and budgeting. Not good at spending.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

What about seeking therapy to overcome a gambling addiction?

I honestly don't think you've thought this through very much.

Therapy and other wellness-type expenses are good with money, if they are working for you.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy one, because either you'll consume less or you only need one.

Buying anything in addition to what you were intending because "it's a deal!!!" is bad with money.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

So we talk a lot about "if only we could educate the children" but what do you guys think about this article?
http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2014/07/financial-literacy

"Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy, an American non-profit organisation, has surveyed high-school seniors every other year since 2000. These surveys consistently show that students who have taken a full-semester course in personal finance do no better on a standard financial literacy test than those who have not taken such a course. Similarly, a study by Tzu-Chin Martina Peng and her co-authors found that having taken a personal finance course in school is unrelated to investment knowledge."

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Jastiger posted:

My wife is bad with money sometimes. I suggest going to Costco to get the huge cheap bottles of booze and she is like "no no, I don't want to have a huge bottle around".

So she Is literally willing to spend 20%more for a smaller bottle because it "looks nicer" grrrraaaaaa! She does this on other stuff. Spend money on the more expensive thing because of some minor tangential detail be it looks or "we don't need two right away, so get the package of just one FOR THE SAME PRICE". Drives me up the wall.

Helpful tip! Keep the smaller bottles, and from then on buy huge cheap bottles as refills. My partner and I stick our huge cheap bottles of things at the bottom of our kitchen pantry and it works really well.

Caveats: this works best for things like cooking oil, dishwashing liquid, and other mundane things you will not be tempted to overuse just because you have a lot of it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Chocolate Milk posted:

Helpful tip! Keep the smaller bottles, and from then on buy huge cheap bottles as refills. My partner and I stick our huge cheap bottles of things at the bottom of our kitchen pantry and it works really well.

Caveats: this works best for things like cooking oil, dishwashing liquid, and other mundane things you will not be tempted to overuse just because you have a lot of it.

Yeah, that's what I do. Yesterday I emptied the last of a 5lb drum of protein powder into the old 2lb jar I use to keep it in the kitchen. The five pounder wouldn't really even fit in my pantry due to its height (and even if it did, it'd take up more than half a shelf), so it lives in my closet until it's time to refill.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chocolate Milk posted:

Caveats: this works best for things like cooking oil, dishwashing liquid, and other mundane things you will not be tempted to overuse just because you have a lot
of it.

Yeah exactly what I do. She still flips out about it :psyduck: "but we don't neeed that much stuff that never expires and we use a few times a month. Let's pay .30 more a liter because it's smaller!"

And to the other poster, paying the same amount for more is bad with money how?

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

Switchback posted:

So we talk a lot about "if only we could educate the children" but what do you guys think about this article?

"Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy, an American non-profit organisation, has surveyed high-school seniors every other year since 2000. These surveys consistently show that students who have taken a full-semester course in personal finance do no better on a standard financial literacy test than those who have not taken such a course. Similarly, a study by Tzu-Chin Martina Peng and her co-authors found that having taken a personal finance course in school is unrelated to investment knowledge."

To me, that's not an argument against teaching personal finance, but more that one semester isn't enough. I would like to see what happens with two semesters of finance classes, or even tacking it into some mathematics curriculums or something so that kids are fairly regularly exposed to finance.

It may turn out that there's no amount of personal finance classes someone can take and people are just bad with money, but we certainly shouldn't just give up and let the credit card companies win.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Chocolate Milk posted:

As a bartender, I used to do this all the time, but was told it was highly illegal for some reason.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

LorneReams posted:

As a bartender, I used to do this all the time, but was told it was highly illegal for some reason.

I was told at my job in CA that these laws are to prevent dilution.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Devian666 posted:

Thirty years of lost income and investment income. Potentially millions. It's never worth someone killing themselves.

but think of the cost savings!

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Switchback posted:

They state right above that quote that the two countries where the ministry of education is responsible got financial education perform better on the test. The bigger question is if it actually helps later in life as they quote a study that says it doesn't. I can't say I'm surprised as good financial decisions are the exact opposite of instant gratification and people in general are terrible at looking long term.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Switchback posted:

As an ex-high school math teacher, I can tell you that most of the kids who take a personal finance course do so because they failed their other math and this is one of the easiest math courses you can take to graduate. Teachers who teach personal finance are the bottom of the barrel math teachers and sometimes are not math teachers at all, just other teachers who get roped into teaching the dumb kids about budgets. There is no special training to teach that class, and it's not covered in any math ed masters program because it's not part of the core. So basically I'm not surprised at all although it is sad. I think you'd have to make finance part of the core curriculum to have any sort of real impact, as well as some teacher training. Otherwise it'll stay a joke class.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

LorneReams posted:

Uh, yeah, you can't do this with the bar's liquor that you sell. You can do this with your dish soap/cooking oil/etc or your home booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm not surprised at that last part "Similarly, a study by Tzu-Chin Martina Peng and her co-authors found that having taken a personal finance course in school is unrelated to investment knowledge." High school teachers most likely have no business giving investment advice short of "buy index funds".

• Locked thread