Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why the gently caress are you playing Assassin's Creed with a mouse anyways? I did that once with AC2 while my controller wasn't working, and never loving again. The beauty of PC is that you can use mouse and keyboard for games that control better with them like FPSes and RTSes, but also controllers for games that control better with one like fighting games and third person action games like AC.

Oh I'm totally going to be using a controller for the entirety of the game, I don't think I've ever played an AC game with a mouse and keyboard barring one time in AC IV for all of a minute before saying "welp this is awful". It's just funny how little effort Ubi puts into their M+KB support, yet they still (presumably deliberately) add untoggleable mouse acceleration just for the extra layer of awful.

also playing with a controller makes the garbage performance of ubi games generally feel more tolerable for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why the gently caress are you playing Assassin's Creed with a mouse anyways? I did that once with AC2 while my controller wasn't working, and never loving again. The beauty of PC is that you can use mouse and keyboard for games that control better with them like FPSes and RTSes, but also controllers for games that control better with one like fighting games and third person action games like AC.
I don't know about the other poster, but I play it with a mouse because I've spent way more time playing pc games than console games and I just do better when I'm controlling the camera with the mouse. I played most of Brotherhood on ps3, and spent the entire time wishing I could use a mouse to control it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I play everything with KB+M. In recent memory alone that includes Black Flag and Sleeping Dogs. Controller just feels unnatural to me.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is the old multiplayer still in or has that been scrapped in favour of the co-op?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GUI posted:

Is the old multiplayer still in or has that been scrapped in favour of the co-op?

it's scrapped

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I always thought that it was so different from normal AC gameplay that it should be broken off into its own sale product.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Redeemed this on Uplay thanks to a graphics card bundle, doesn't appear to be a preload yet, wonderful.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Seconding a stand alone AC multi game. AC has a pretty unique online experience and I'd love to see more of it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Well poo poo, the multiplayer was the only thing I liked about 3 and 4. I'll wait for reviews to see if the SP at least recaptures some of AC2's quality, but considering how bloated these games keep getting with the gimmicks and collectibles I'm not getting my hopes up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I had a really good time playing the most recent Tomb Raider with a combo of KB/M and controller. Controller for the platforming/exploring bits, and KB/M for the shooty parts.
It was like easy mode for the shooty parts though.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It looks like 24 hours to go and still no Steam preload. Thanks Ubisoft.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
How does co-op work? Is there a "host" and "clients" ? If you die, does everybody have to start over?

Sorry these have probably been answered before.

I'm still confused as hell why Ubisoft thought releasing Unity and Rogue at the same time was a good idea :lol:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It looks like 24 hours to go and still no Steam preload. Thanks Ubisoft.

And that answers the question I was going to ask. Bummer. :(

bobik
Oct 22, 2009
Steam pre-load just came up.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

How does co-op work? Is there a "host" and "clients" ? If you die, does everybody have to start over?

Sorry these have probably been answered before.

I'm still confused as hell why Ubisoft thought releasing Unity and Rogue at the same time was a good idea :lol:
Because the install base for ps3/xb360 is much, much larger than the install base of ps4/xbone/gaming pc which can run Unity. Their alternatives were release nothing on last-gen (and lose a ton of money), or make Unity on the same engine as the other games, losing out on all the benefits of the newer consoles.

Also, I'm so very grateful that they allowed us to preload this 50GB game less than 24 hours before it releases. I didn't want to actually play it on my day off tomorrow, after all.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Preloads didn't used to exist at all so whatever.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Rofl at how mad people are getting at the game and it's not even out yet :stare:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Looks like Rogue is going to be $35 at Target for Black Friday which means Amazon will probably price match.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

g0del posted:

Also, I'm so very grateful that they allowed us to preload this 50GB game less than 24 hours before it releases. I didn't want to actually play it on my day off tomorrow, after all.

Don't worry, the download is compressed to only 38GB. :v:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Someone in the PS4 thread already got their copy. Apparently it runs like poo poo on the PS4 with tons stuttering and framerate drops

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm not super mad because I got the game for free, but why can't I preload AssCreed on Uplay.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Don't worry, the download is compressed to only 38GB. :v:
Steam said 47.9GB when I started the preload earlier :shepicide:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

g0del posted:

Steam said 47.9GB when I started the preload earlier :shepicide:

That's the space on disc for the final install, the actual download size is smaller.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
AC Rogue has a launch trailer now.

Everything I'm hearing about it says it's basically Black Flag 2 and sets up a lot of backstory stuff for Unity. I think I'll be playing this one first.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

It's coming down to the wire, y'all. The sooner it is to release hour, the more I want to impulse buy what I'd probably regret. I really want a good new AC game, but $60-80 is a poo poo ton for one game. Not too mention Ubi makes one good AC game for every five that are meh.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rizuhbull posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

It's coming down to the wire, y'all. The sooner it is to release hour, the more I want to impulse buy what I'd probably regret. I really want a good new AC game, but $60-80 is a poo poo ton for one game. Not too mention Ubi makes one good AC game for every five that are meh.

Sounds like there's a lot of issues right now that need to be patched over. I'm waiting until I hear they've smoothed over. Just recently started a new game in Black Flag, so hopefully that will hold me over until FC4 comes out. Pre-ordered that one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Megasabin posted:

Someone in the PS4 thread already got their copy. Apparently it runs like poo poo on the PS4 with tons stuttering and framerate drops

Couldn't that be because the day one patch that all new flagship games seem to need isn't out yet and won't be until tomorrow?

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Calaveron posted:

Couldn't that be because the day one patch that all new flagship games seem to need isn't out yet and won't be until tomorrow?

Well a 900 MB patch already got downloaded and applied. There might be another one? Maybe?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
It's probably also because every single AC title has had its share of bugginess since forever.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

macnbc posted:

It's probably also because every single AC title has had its share of bugginess since forever.

Not like this though. I've never had bad skipping in cutscenes.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Guess it's a good thing I just Gamefly'd then. I would hope that there would be another patch out by launch day but chances are probably very slim.

Kind of still looking forward to playing it?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
What are the odds that it's as buggy as 3 was? Because these first impressions aren't exactly filling me with confidence.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Don Gato posted:

What are the odds that it's as buggy as 3 was? Because these first impressions aren't exactly filling me with confidence.
Very high

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Honestly if you're on the fence about it.. wait a couple days to see what some actual reviews say. See if there's a launch day patch that fixes stuff.

It'll still be on store shelves this weekend.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
I have been watching some streams on the PS4 and it doesn't seem bad. But, probably best to wait for common opinion here. Black Flag can hold me over, but we also have the new expansion for WoW for the WoW crowd on Thursday, Far Cry 4 and GTA Remastered coming up around the corner. I'll be trading in Destiny and Alien - right now I'll probably wait and see what the consensus here is first for a week or two.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
This discount is still available

http://www.dealzon.com/deals/cheap-assassins-creed-unity

But you won't be able to pre-load right away.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Assassin's Creed has ran chunkily since they switched over to the new engine in AC3. I played that game when it first came out and it had freezing, massive framerate drops, mission icons and characters not activating properly, missing audio in cutscenes... it was a loving mess.

And then Ubisoft hurriedly released a patch that fixed most of the problems, but also caused a host of new ones. I fondly remember how all of the cutscenes now had a pulsing "Skip Cutscene" button in the corner.

Black Flag on the 360 had a veritable ton of pop-in, particularly with city civilians in havana.

I downloaded Freedom Cry on the ps3 and it was a solid 10-20 frames below what the 360 was able to produce with Black Flag.

Technical issues are part and parcel of the Assassins Creed "experience".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Narcissus1916 posted:

Assassin's Creed has ran chunkily since they switched over to the new engine in AC3. I played that game when it first came out and it had freezing, massive framerate drops, mission icons and characters not activating properly, missing audio in cutscenes... it was a loving mess.

And then Ubisoft hurriedly released a patch that fixed most of the problems, but also caused a host of new ones. I fondly remember how all of the cutscenes now had a pulsing "Skip Cutscene" button in the corner.

Black Flag on the 360 had a veritable ton of pop-in, particularly with city civilians in havana.

I downloaded Freedom Cry on the ps3 and it was a solid 10-20 frames below what the 360 was able to produce with Black Flag.

Technical issues are part and parcel of the Assassins Creed "experience".

Just think of it as double immersion; the abstergo employee suffers of brain damage :v:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I do think they're running out of excuses with the AnvilNext engine if it truly is as buggy as some reports have said. I kinda understood it with AC3 because it was the first time on a new engine that was clearly being created with the next console generation in mind, so was being shoehorned in to fit the current ones. But Unity doesn't have those excuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Welp.

(Companion app)

• Locked thread