Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't think a 91 even has a rear defroster, mine didn't have the pigtail for it coming off of the car.

As for the drains, go to a music store and get a trombone cleaner. On a 91 you probably want to enlarge the drain holes on the bottom of the car too, since they're too small and won't let debris out.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't think a 91 even has a rear defroster, mine didn't have the pigtail for it coming off of the car.

As for the drains, go to a music store and get a trombone cleaner. On a 91 you probably want to enlarge the drain holes on the bottom of the car too, since they're too small and won't let debris out.

Now you mention it, it is probably a '92 model. It was sold to me as a '91 because that's the year on the registration.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno posted:

Are you familiar with the SHO swapped Pulsar?

I've seen that thing on Craigslist, I didn't know it was (in)famous.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RillAkBea posted:

Now you mention it, it is probably a '92 model. It was sold to me as a '91 because that's the year on the registration.

NA MX-5S didn't come with demisters at all on the soft tops. Unless there's some wacky trim level we didn't get in Australia. I think that's an aftermarket thing you have there.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Memento posted:

NA MX-5S didn't come with demisters at all on the soft tops. Unless there's some wacky trim level we didn't get in Australia. I think that's an aftermarket thing you have there.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's aftermarket, if the black v specials are in line with the green ones then it should be a tan top but it's black. It does have a defroster pigtail though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PhoenixWing posted:

Thanks, hope it's still alright. I've seen the craigslist posting for it from the Pulsar facebook group, but, that's about it. Looks like it'd be an absolute blast to drive. V6 Pulsar Wagon? :getin:

It's currently owned by a friend of mine and the novelty ran out very quickly. He's been trying to dump it for months. I mean, its cool as poo poo and all but the issues make ownership a pain in the rear end.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 223 days!)

Rhyno posted:

It's currently owned by a friend of mine and the novelty ran out very quickly. He's been trying to dump it for months. I mean, its cool as poo poo and all but the issues make ownership a pain in the rear end.

Did you sell him your NeuBeetle?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Memento posted:

The internet seems unclear on it but it looks like if you bought your car with a hardtop or a defrost-capable soft top (available in Canada post-94) originally, you got a defroster pigtail and a button installed in your car. If you didn't, that's it.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
So I've been trying to get new springs on the front of the rolling amber alert, and a forum that has been 100% reliable for part numbers listed several OEM and suitable substitute part #'s. The OEM ones were :homebrew: so I snagged one of the suitable subs. $40 shipped on sale with prime, so I thought I was getting a good deal. I get them in, go over and install the passenger's side in my buddy's heated garage, and lordy it's a pain in the rear end. So I take the other one to a reputable shop here in town and drop it off. I get a call about 2 hours later from the service desk guy and he tells me they're the wrong part, and too big. I get a suitable P/N from the service desk guy and head out. I get home and do some research, and lo-and-behold the P/N from the forum has a inner diameter of 5.94" and the P/N the service guy gives me (one of the other suitable sub #'s on the forum :doh: ) has an inner diameter of 4.03". Ordered those on amazon for $62.50 Prime, so here's hoping they're the right ones.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Suicidal raccoons that decide to run in-front of your car while accelerating down an on-ramp can really ruin your day

After limping the car home (sounded like I was dragging my exhaust on the ground) and spending an hour cleaning the blood and hair off the underbody, I now get to figure out what the correct part number is to order a replacement.

Brigdh fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 9, 2014

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
What's it even for? Is it an exhaust mount? If so, slam that fucker in the vice and pound it back into shape.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
56-H20B-F151?

Might have better luck in the correct order, F15156H20B

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 9, 2014

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

What's it even for? Is it an exhaust mount? If so, slam that fucker in the vice and pound it back into shape.

Cross member for the center tunnel, specifically the rear one, and probably the lowest part of the car. Basically serves as structural rigidity. Attempting to pound it back into shape cracked it. Luckily I can get a new one for $20.

Chriskory posted:

56-H20B-F151?

Yep its F151-56-H20B (Mazda's part system is really picky about formatting). Mazda doesn't always list parts in their manuals where you'd think they would be, although this one wasn't too hard to find. I'll have t wait until Monday to figure out if any exist in North America.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Chriskory posted:

56-H20B-F151?

OK yeah it's $36 so so it's probably easier to buy a new one rather than try to reshape your bloody raccoon one.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^
See you in spring, buddy!

I got a discount due to the size of my car. Hah.

BRZ will be getting raised and steelies with winter tires put on this week. Snow coming!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The internet seems unclear on it but it looks like if you bought your car with a hardtop or a defrost-capable soft top (available in Canada post-94) originally, you got a defroster pigtail and a button installed in your car. If you didn't, that's it.

It would make a lot of sense for a demister to be available in Canada but not Australia, actually. poo poo, I can't imagine owning a convertible in the great Frozen North. My dad owned one while living in Perth many years ago, and he once went over 400 days in a row without putting the soft top up - undercover parking at home and work, combined with the worst drought on record made for some nice drop top driving.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Memento posted:

It would make a lot of sense for a demister to be available in Canada but not Australia, actually. poo poo, I can't imagine owning a convertible in the great Frozen North. My dad owned one while living in Perth many years ago, and he once went over 400 days in a row without putting the soft top up - undercover parking at home and work, combined with the worst drought on record made for some nice drop top driving.

Honestly, it's pretty loving great. At highway speed, keeping the heater going and the top down is fine.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Got the external touchups mostly done. Wheels repainted and all chrome except bumpers polished ala aluminum foil followed by a pea sized bead of old Zymol I had lying around.

Starting to look a little less abused. Haven't decided what to do with the molding.. it looks OK (as does the rest from 100ft here), but it is pretty weathered and the plastic over the chrome top has yellowed and has UV cancer. I haven't tried to tackle the door other than painting the exposed metal since I don't really want to be stuck with Bondo not curing thanks to a magical 40 degree 3-6am November. I decided to black out the bowtie because 2 of the 3 looked like rear end, and it really didn't make a lot of sense that those were gold- the only thing gold anywhere on the truck.

Was going to tackle the interior over the weekend, but the steam cleaner was stolen so that isn't gonna happen yet.

:spergin: I discovered that hitting Rustoleum BBQ black with their clear coat before it is 100% dry gives it a nice orange peel sort of effect. Haven't decided if I am going to do that on the handles or just give them a blast with the semigloss bbq black to match the wiper arms.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 10, 2014

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

salt the fries! posted:

See you in spring, buddy!

I got a discount due to the size of my car. Hah.

BRZ will be getting raised and steelies with winter tires put on this week. Snow coming!
I need to see everything else in that garage. :stare:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea there are some righteous Mopars in there.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

Night Danger Moose posted:

I need to see everything else in that garage. :stare:

I thought for sure I'd have the least valuable thing in that whole facility, but there's a New Beetle convertible going in as well. Regardless, I'm glad it's as secure as it is. There's some neat swaps and some awesome classics that aren't in the photo.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Threw on a set of no-name wheels with some 18" Nokian R2's for tomorrow's impending snowstorm. For $500 shipped, these wheels are actually pretty decent. I've never been much of a fan of black wheels, especially on black cars, but I like how this looks for winter. And I clearly need a phone that takes better photos at dusk.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Got a scare last night when it went to 1 degree Celsius last night, so I decided that it was time to run some anti-freeze in my corolla haha. Got that done and then changed the oil on it.

Somehow managed to jam my foot in the oil bucket during the process of all this too :bang:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Hope you guys like trivial Miata crap because I did more of it today!

First up I made my second attempt at trying to get the wheels off. I tried yesterday but the lug nuts were all fairly corroded on and all I had was the lug wrench from the OE tool kit. Not that anything changed today. I managed to get two wheels off by pulling with my whole body straight up but I very almost put my back out so I switched to hopping on the wrench which worked too. Everything looked pretty good underneath, the brakes were even a lot better than I was expecting and PO had actually had some braided lines put on which I was planning to do myself anyway so there's $100 saved. Then the delivery guy arrived with my plug wires and plugs.

Looking sharp little buddy! Blue wires were the cheapest :v:

Obligatory old plug shot

I almost wish I'd known it had iridiums before I started pulling them all out but new plugs are new plugs. A little carbon build up on the plugs there and I could see some on the pistons too. PO didn't drive this car nearly hard enough.

I also made a start on removing the tie-down hooks for cosmetic purposes but I only managed to get the back ones off because not only have the bolts not been touched for 23 years they're also some sort of weird hell bolt. The best thing my hardware store had for it was CRC 5-56, which after trying it I'm not actually sure even works.

They weigh about 750g per piece.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005

DropShadow posted:

Threw on a set of no-name wheels with some 18" Nokian R2's for tomorrow's impending snowstorm. For $500 shipped, these wheels are actually pretty decent. I've never been much of a fan of black wheels, especially on black cars, but I like how this looks for winter. And I clearly need a phone that takes better photos at dusk.

I can't really see the wheels but I think this looks pretty nice for a winter setup.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Guys, what kinda interval should I expect for the timing belt and stuff? I think the previous owner said he had switched it recently, but it's been a while since and I'm not even sure about that, don't want my engine to die because of something simple like that.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

salt the fries! posted:

I can't really see the wheels but I think this looks pretty nice for a winter setup.

That's exactly why I haven't really ever been a fan of black wheels, you can't really see them. Here's a slightly better photo. These are the wheels I got.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

RillAkBea posted:

I almost wish I'd known it had iridiums before I started pulling them all out but new plugs are new plugs. A little carbon build up on the plugs there and I could see some on the pistons too. PO didn't drive this car nearly hard enough.

Did you install the copper NGK R?

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

Put seats in my Yota that I bought on Craigslist, does anyone know what they're from? The guy said mid 80s Toyota "4x4" but I haven't found any pictures online with that pattern...

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Put on my winter wheels and tires and drove around a bit. Now I'm really looking forward to replacing my summer tires because holy poo poo my winters ride so much better. Not sure if one of my summers wore differently than the others or if it's out of balance but they aren't super great tires and new ones are very cheap for the Fit so I'll just get new good tires in the spring.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Wires just got here. Its still below freezing, outside.

Might as well wait for the rest that should show later today, right? (Ignore the fram filter - it cut $3 off the oil if I took it) :effort:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Fram oil filters make good silencers.

Better silencers than oil filters, anyways...

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kastein posted:

Fram oil filters make good silencers.

Better silencers than oil filters, anyways...

What irony - causing deaths without repercussions. Almost to the level of comic.

E: Box has (most) tools I think I'll need.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Put seats in my Yota that I bought on Craigslist, does anyone know what they're from? The guy said mid 80s Toyota "4x4" but I haven't found any pictures online with that pattern...

They look exactly like my brother's 85 4x4 SR5 seats, except without the SR5 text.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Changed the plugs on my TJ. I think they were pretty much done:

No misfires though.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Stop chewing your thumbnails.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Viggen posted:

Stop chewing your thumbnails.

I don't chew them, that would be pretty nasty, just use other nails to keep them all short.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Chriskory posted:

Did you install the copper NGK R?

I think so, they got replaced with NGK V-power BRK5E. I actually thought I'd ordered regular so that was a nice surprise when I opened the package. Would I have been better off putting the iridiums back in?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Replaced that other rear hub on the car. Had to drown the old one in pb blaster to get it to separate from the brake drum. Also changed out the thermostat because the old one wasn't closing and the temp gauge would tank when the car was moving or the heater was running. For some reason the leak where the endtank attaches to the radiator core stopped happening after I changed the thermostat. :iiam:

In non-car stuff I changed out the failing sequencer relay pack and a limit switch in my house furnace, so I actually have heat now.

gently caress whoever wired up that mess of bullshit originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

RillAkBea posted:

I think so, they got replaced with NGK V-power BRK5E. I actually thought I'd ordered regular so that was a nice surprise when I opened the package. Would I have been better off putting the iridiums back in?

949 says they use the Iridium and they last twice as long, just don't gap a precious metal spark plug.

Rule of thumb if the car is stock, it's best to use whatever the factory used. Don't Miata's eat plug wires every 30k? If you stay copper you'll replace the plugs and wires at pretty even intervals.

edit- It's pretty interesting how the V-groove actually works, but you're still probably better off with the Iridium.

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 11, 2014