Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grey Hunter posted:

If you own the town adventuring guild, thats a safe secure income. They are just getting their retirement fund going early.

You can retire to a farm and live out your years peacefully on your first 10 gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You can retire to a farm and live out your years peacefully on your first 10 gold.

If you are the type of person to take up adventuring, I'm pretty sure you have bigger plans in life than being a farmer.

The old "I'm going to buy a little farm of my own" cliche is a modern one, for most of history a farmer is the lowest rung on the social ladder - Now, someone who owns 20 tenant farmers, thats an aim in life.

Of course, the way economies work in most RPGs, Adventures could still cash our at level 10 or so and live like kings. - but by that point, they have to many enemies who still need killing. Plus there is the slight problem of the BBEG and his world ending plan you need to stop, or the rest of your days may well be until next monday.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grey Hunter posted:

If you are the type of person to take up adventuring, I'm pretty sure you have bigger plans in life than being a farmer.

The old "I'm going to buy a little farm of my own" cliche is a modern one, for most of history a farmer is the lowest rung on the social ladder - Now, someone who owns 20 tenant farmers, thats an aim in life.

Of course, the way economies work in most RPGs, Adventures could still cash our at level 10 or so and live like kings. - but by that point, they have to many enemies who still need killing. Plus there is the slight problem of the BBEG and his world ending plan you need to stop, or the rest of your days may well be until next monday.

Ah, so about a hundred gold then.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Grey Hunter posted:

Actually most of the reason that the Vikings invaded England was for farmland (the other reason being lots of silver and gold). Viking crews usually retired around 35 or 40, which was usually about 20 years into their raping/pillaging/looting careers and about the time they were slowing down due to age. Nothing wrong with farming at that point, but that's the entire thing. It's at that point they became farmers. How many people here have had games cover twenty in-game years? I think my longest is about three, and most of that's because we were waiting for armor/weapons to be enchanted.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Actually most of the reason that the Vikings invaded England was for farmland (the other reason being lots of silver and gold). Viking crews usually retired around 35 or 40, which was usually about 20 years into their raping/pillaging/looting careers and about the time they were slowing down due to age. Nothing wrong with farming at that point, but that's the entire thing. It's at that point they became farmers. How many people here have had games cover twenty in-game years? I think my longest is about three, and most of that's because we were waiting for armor/weapons to be enchanted.

It's funny, in a dark sort of way, how many wars were started because people were hungry.

And then its even funnier how we often totally forget that fact and pretend all the death was for some entirely different reason than to snag some swag soil.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I think it would be interesting for a game with a slower pace to cover multiple years. Instead of PCs becoming great and famous adventurers capable of punching out gods in a few months, use convenient time skips to pass a year or two and let the world change up a bit in between major events. The players themselves don't need to wait any longer and they experience what feels like a similar progression in power relative to time spent playing, but the world changes more radically.

The only thing you need to handle are the players who expect that their characters were doing something productive and important every day during the time skip and want to map out exactly how far they progressed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Actually most of the reason that the Vikings invaded England was for farmland (the other reason being lots of silver and gold). Viking crews usually retired around 35 or 40, which was usually about 20 years into their raping/pillaging/looting careers and about the time they were slowing down due to age. Nothing wrong with farming at that point, but that's the entire thing. It's at that point they became farmers.

Point conceded. During the Medieval period (which is the period a lot of fantasy RPGS pick) it sucked to be a farmer under the feudal system (not that many RPG's have the full feudal system)

quote:

How many people here have had games cover twenty in-game years? I think my longest is about three, and most of that's because we were waiting for armor/weapons to be enchanted.

My Rogue Trader game covered 37 years.
Okay, only 5.85 of them were subjective due to warp shenanigans. It was still plenty of time for the original Rogue Trader to have a kid, that kid take over at 9, and for Praise Be The Emperor For He Is Mighty Bashura to end the game aged 17.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it would be interesting for a game with a slower pace to cover multiple years. Instead of PCs becoming great and famous adventurers capable of punching out gods in a few months, use convenient time skips to pass a year or two and let the world change up a bit in between major events. The players themselves don't need to wait any longer and they experience what feels like a similar progression in power relative to time spent playing, but the world changes more radically.

The only thing you need to handle are the players who expect that their characters were doing something productive and important every day during the time skip and want to map out exactly how far they progressed.

Yeah, I like to have long timescales in campaigns, just to give the players much longer to react to just how badly their actions have screwed up the world around them.

Sorry, I of course mean helped.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
My ongoing Crimson Skies game is a swashbuckling farce.

We have new players this week. They created the DuPond brothers, a pair of dixie rum-runners. My hero (Dash Drummond, Hollywood's Swingin'-est bachelor!) thanked them for joining the crew, and sent them on an audition: to find out info from Red Nicolas, the head of the Bulldog gang.

Out of nowhere, we decided this taking place in the town's Mobbed-up Barbershop. The brothers meant to sneak in and hold a razor to Nick's throat while he had a hot towel on his face. Unfortunately, the place was Mostly Empty, and he drew a pistol on the pair. Quick draw artist that he is, Herschel DuPond brought his gun out. During the stand off, big brother Nester choked Nick out with a towel.

The two physically interrogated him (kicking, yelling) as Dash watched from across the street. It seemed the DuPonds forgot what the were investigating, so Dash called into the barber shop to run the interrogation over the phone.

Finding out the Bulldogs were hiding a fortune in gold in Clearwater, Colorado, the group flew over. Aerial reconnaissance revealed it was a fake ghost town, and Dash (with the help of ex-Bulldog Christine Kaboom) persuaded the miners to cut them in on distribution.

Why did the miners agree? It was entirely due to things our gang had done. We simply mentioned:
The Bulldogs:
--Had their planes stolen recently (by Christine Kaboom)
--Had been beaten in their own barbershop (By the DuPonds)
--Lost the mining equipment (Stolen by Dash)
--Been disgraced in Colorado (by Christine, prior to game start).

At the end of session, we had a gold mining operation set up that had one solitary flaw: It was entirely based on lies.

Which is why we cut our radios and brought in anti-air guns.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 23, 2018

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

chitoryu12 posted:

Our current 4E game works like this. Our party claimed an abandoned town as our own on the edge of the frontier. Going to paraphrase what's happened. Cleared out the undead infested mines near by, hired workers/offered land to people in exchange for small taxation from a major trading hub a few days away. We have kobolds living under the city as a night guard/scout group that protects the township while we are away.

First year passes.

We set up a foundation for an adventuring school, added in some shops, farms and seek trade routes. Our next arc had us not seeking gold but decent ceramics, stones and crops after a horrible winter. In order to do this we had to clear out a dwarven temple months to the south of our little township. We pass through some swamps, meet lizard people and impress them enough that a small group decides to assist us with the temple. They eventually bring some of their family to our township. This supplies us with some muscle, medicinal knowledge and good relations with a new town.

A few years later, after clearing out the temple, our school is founded. Population has increased to around 300. We've developed a solid trade location and have aspiring adventurers seeking to use our town as a way in to the frontier. Standard classes are combat courses with lizard men, dungeon survival basics with the kobolds underground, basic language skills from various races. Though we're getting some kick back from the elves in the forests to the north. Our main characters are now level 14 and are managing the day to day life of this town. My bard-priest runs the school. The fighter runs the militia, the druid tends to the farmland and logging efforts, the beserker is running our tavern and watching social issues crop up and our warlock is training people basics of pact magic.

This leads us to the "First Class" of graduates that are sent out to work on relations with the elves. They begin at level 8, it's year 7 of the campaign.

We end up starting a civil war with two factions of elves after finding out they were trying to use rather large hives of giant insects to wipe out most of the frontier townships within a hundred miles. Our township quickly becomes a refugee location for elves and orcs (caught in the middle of the war and being used as forced soldiers, not bad people) and steadily increases our population, resource demands and racial tensions. While that happens the First Class party is sent further north to try and solve an amassing army intent on wiping the elves out. We figure out it's an elder blue dragon with one hell of a grudge. We left off right before trying to convince the elves to help us deal with it in year 8.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 8, 2014

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Point conceded. During the Medieval period (which is the period a lot of fantasy RPGS pick) it sucked to be a farmer under the feudal system (not that many RPG's have the full feudal system)

It wasn't that bad to be a peasant to be honest. Sure you had little social mobility, but average life expectancy was ~28 compared to what you would be looking at in Rome (only ~23). That of course is skewed by infant and child mortality rates being sky high. If you lived to adult hood, chances are you were going to make it to your 60s easy. Most folks had access to a good variety of foods, even a smattering of meats, alcohol was plentiful and by about the time the vikings rolled up, you were far less likely to be murdered by your neighbors knights! :v:

That whole idea of life for pesants being short and brutal came from the period directly after the fall of Western Rome. Gaul and parts of Germany fell into utter chaos and who ever had some money to throw about would hire people who could fight to go and beat up pesants so they would pay them taxes instead of other people. By 800AD a lot of that had calmed down as people started re-codifying laws and establishing actual governments again. This came about due to outside pressures: First the Berbers sweeping through the Iberian Peninsula and then the viking raids that started in about 750AD. And later solidified by the Crusades starting in 1095, giving European powers a more outward look. There continued to be internal wars in Europe, but they were less bullying peasants, and more organized pitched and siege warfare.

Combine that with nearly a third of the year being church holidays where you didn't work and instead partied and Europe's climate being the calmest and most temperate it's been in almost the entirety of human civilization? Life was pretty good for peasants.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Hell yes from these stories alone I am itching to run a longer-term game, when I have a bit more time not writing my thesis. (And also a little worried about the speed of progression in my current game, running Age of Worms and gone from 1-10 in something like 5 weeks of game-time, though that's something like 16 months realtime and drat we're only halfway done, though with some breaks in between)

I've got a few stories to write up, almost all good I think, both from this and from the Hunter game I've been running at my local gaming society. Using an odd mix of old and new WoD rules/setting - Not sure how that ended up happening. Mostly oWoD setting and core rules, since that's what I learned and had access to, with some nWoD themes, pieces, and Hunter groups because that's what my players wanted.

My PCs are;
  • Ardec, an ambiguously-gendered heir with a penchant for Computer Hacking and Knives, who is trying to learn magic so he can integrate it with computer theory
  • Two FBI agents based off of Mulder & Scully, players are a couple, usually show up late but are great RPers and take simple pleasure in being able to act like TV FBI agents
  • Jeff, a software developer with uncanny firearm precision, and a running habit/joke of shooting people in the leg if he doesn't trust them
  • Delta, a military spec-ops guy who may or may not have a vendetta against dragons
  • Reven, a Professional Assassin on the run from the CIA because he's an escaped experiment of theirs. He wrote up a reasonably coherent backstory for this, and plays it well, though apparently he runs this same character in every single game he is in. Pathfinder, Dark Heresy, same guy. Somewhat trigger-happy and amoral, but in a way that can be easily pointed towards plothooks for everyone.

It's a bit of a clusterfuck, but mostly games run smoothly - though given the society is pretty big and noisy, and there are usually 2-3 separate things going on in game (first time running an in-person game, and may have given a little too much freedom to do their own thing) so it can be a bit hectic and my attention is usually split between things.

A story from last session; Reven has secretly signed on to be a ghoul (think Renfield from Dracula) for a big shadowy vampire trying to move in on Boston, and has been working with another of the Lieutenants to spark off a vampire civil war in the city, to weaken and distract them before the invasion. As part of this, he assassinated one of the more moderate members of the working-class vampire faction, and the Lieutenant demolished a bank shadow-run by the Gatsby vampire faction.

Naturally, a couple of other organisations (including the one the PCs work for) are pissed at this fighting and wanton destruction, and are doing their best to investigate it. Half of the PCs are hot on the trail of the Lieutenant, tracking him from safehouse to safehouse, with Reven tagging along and doing his best to sabotage them. Delta, Jeff, and Ardec meanwhile are doing their own investigation into the working class faction, trying to get leads from them or their side of the events.

Delta and Jeff botch/bluff their way into the Pink Llama, a nightclub run by Poussey Jackson, the defacto leader of the faction, while Ardec provides off-site support. After some more lies, a bit of truth, hacked sound-system backup, and desperate bargaining, they exchange what they know about the Assassination for some leads.

They know it was Reven, but both he and the lieutenant wear masks, black clothes, act like assassins, and are proficient with explosives, so it's easy enough to use those details to frame the Lieutenant and get Reven out of danger. They then meet up with the rest of the PCs and track down the lieutenant. In the chase 3 people are killed, 2 houses are blown up or burned down, and 5 cars are totalled. The lieutenant is finally brought down, and to maintain his cover, Reven "accidentally" fires off an incendiary shot and ashes him. Leaving only one masked explosive-using assassin in the city. And also finally tipping off the other PCs that something is up, since he's done this sort of thing before, but not quite as obviously.

Looking forward to next game, and seeing the consequences of killing your co-saboteur, plus maybe finally pushing forward to a finale confrontation.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Reading through this thread over the past few weeks has helped make work bearable, even if my muted laughter has attracted some odd looks from time to time.

I don't have many stories myself to share, but the one that springs to mind is the Tale of Gilbert.

A few years ago a small group of my friends and I were playing in a high-powered nWoD Mage: the Awakening game, in which we were nearing the end of our quest to become Archmages and Ascend to live bodily within the Supernal Realms. After a brief detour to visit Zeus we found ourselves in Hades, our boat slowly sinking into the fires of the river Phlegethon. Quickly patching up our boat as best as we could, we had to quickly come about with a way to escape Hades. Since for whatever reason known of us had thought to take many dots in Matter or Forces magic, we decided to cast a ritual using our prodigious Spirit magic and summon a Psychopomp.

This is where we begin to rapidly head off-track. We spend a good part of the session debating which Psychopomp we wish to summon: Charon, Anubis, thunderbirds... and in the end, all three of us had firmly agreed to summon Tiamat, the primordial Mesopotamian chaos goddess. Who was very definitely not a Psychopomp.

Still, after close to several hours we had finally made a decision so we set about summoning Tiamat. With one member of the party pumping us full of Fate effects, the rest of us began to accumulate the 150 or so successes we needed (in nWoD you roll a dice pool of d10s based off the relevent skill with 8's, 9's and 10's counting as a success and 10's exploding; with Fate magic 8's and 9's can also explode). Eventually after three attempts and the creation of a permanent, kilometer-wide Time Anomaly in the middle of Hades we succeeded just in time to pack up and head home.

The next session, our GM informed us that due to the way in which we worded the actual summoning, we didn't specifically call upon Tiamat but instead we had summoned a Chaoskampf, a creation-through-destruction myth. So the debating began again - which Chaoskampf did we wish to summon? Eventually, we made a decision.

The North Island of New Zealand.

Or rather, the fish that would become the North Island of New Zealand after being fished up by Māui and hacked to pieces by his brother.

We called it Gilbert.

After working even more magic to prevent the entire thing from exploding, we set sail around Hades for further shenanigans before using Gilbert as the base for our towers to the Supernal Realms, which were built using a mix of Ego, Apollo 11 and some other bits and pieces.

The game finished shortly after that, but highlights from the rest of the campaign included Colin, the Toaster Archmage, surfing the Abyss and stealing Morgan Freeman.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I had a DM who was so strict on doing things by the book that we rarely ever advanced the plot, because we were so bogged down with random encounters. We were a party of six, so combat took forever. Each player had back story, many of which would have worked fine for generating encounters (my character was hunting her husband's murderer, another was on the run from his wealthy family etc.) any of which could have been used for a mook attack.

On our way to the next down, we had no less than three random encounters. Including an attack by a giant tree for no drat reason. And every battle had to end in the attacker's death, despite our poor druid desperately trying to reason with this tree.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
"Friends, I ask you, must man and tree continue to fight? Our ancestors fought, their ancestors fought, and to what purpose? Too much blood and sap has been spilled on these grounds."

"You know, you have a very good point. Maybe I don't need to tread you all into fertilizer."

"Good! Let's extend the olive branch--"

"Do what, now?! That was my cousin, you bastards! You're mulch, you hear me? Mulch!"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Writer Cath posted:

I had a DM who was so strict on doing things by the book that we rarely ever advanced the plot, because we were so bogged down with random encounters. We were a party of six, so combat took forever. Each player had back story, many of which would have worked fine for generating encounters (my character was hunting her husband's murderer, another was on the run from his wealthy family etc.) any of which could have been used for a mook attack.

On our way to the next down, we had no less than three random encounters. Including an attack by a giant tree for no drat reason. And every battle had to end in the attacker's death, despite our poor druid desperately trying to reason with this tree.

"Well, it's on the random encounter table, so :shrug:"

I swear a good part of DMing well is knowing what to throw out. Of course, it's just as bad going too far the other way. I've unfortunately been witness to a couple of attempts by a well-meaning former friend (No bad blood, we just drifted apart) to "fix" various systems that were honestly beyond repair. BESM d20 and 3E/3.5 are mostly what I remember.

Some highlights from the 3.5 changes:
  • Skill list cut in half by rolling every skill into Awareness/Stealth-style skill pairs. No change to class-based skill points.
  • Feats every level, but your typical 3rd-level feats needed to be "flavor" feats, ones that didn't mechanically impact your build.
  • A portion of WBL was inherent to you, and could not be taken away. Mostly this was to avoid Chosen Weapon syndrome, which I took to the opposite extreme by having a Warblade with an inherently-plussed Metalline Rod of Surprises. A different weapon every day!

During our playtest of this system, he would change things with no warning, too. At one point I blew up at him because he removed the entire skill pair system, which I only learned when I started to roll for one. He was also remarkably dead-set against the concept of the alpha strike, to the point where when my character picked up Gnome Tunnel Acrobatics, which has a damage bonus if you drop onto an enemy (A function I would never have used unless he literally had an enemy walk underneath me while I was on a wall), he spent half an hour nerfing it, finally settling on having it work the way I had more or less assumed it worked in the first place.

His playtest campaign also began with a TPK, seemingly entirely so he could get us out of Eberron and into Planescape. He was a huge Planescape fanboy, and I don't blame him for that, but it seems there are easier ways to reconcile the cosmology.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Dareon posted:

His playtest campaign also began with a TPK, seemingly entirely so he could get us out of Eberron and into Planescape. He was a huge Planescape fanboy, and I don't blame him for that, but it seems there are easier ways to reconcile the cosmology.

It's loving Planescape.

He could have just thrown your whole party through a portal to Sigil because one of you whistled the theme to A-Team slightly off key.

And it would have worked.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

It's loving Planescape.

He could have just thrown your whole party through a portal to Sigil because one of you whistled the theme to A-Team slightly off key.

I'm gonna use that as a key to some portal in my Mage game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Left-handed Elf walk by a certain tree? that's a portal. Seriously, Ravenloft and Planescape don't need any elaborate excuses to enter those places.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

It even wouldn't have been that difficult to have explained away the characters somehow transforming into Planescape PCs with the relevant knowledge, if that's what was important.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

It's loving Planescape.

We once used rubbing your belly and patting your head simultaneously as a portal key out of the Abyss.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

We set such a huge forest fire when our evil boss NPC ported us to Ravenloft that Strahd decided he didn't even want to deal with our dumb asses and sent us back to Greyhawk.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Victorkm posted:

We set such a huge forest fire when our evil boss NPC ported us to Ravenloft that Strahd decided he didn't even want to deal with our dumb asses and sent us back to Greyhawk.

You just reminded me of a 3.0 campaign I ran where my PCs burned down a rainforest and then a small town :allears:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

You just reminded me of a 3.0 campaign I ran where my PCs burned down a rainforest and then a small town :allears:

Same fire or different fire?

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I feel like every RPG's GM section should include something about dissuading your players from solving all their problems with fire and explosives. Or maybe the exact opposite of that, I'm waffling a bit now that I think about it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Rannos22 posted:

I feel like every RPG's GM section should include something about dissuading your players from solving all their problems with fire and explosives. Or maybe the exact opposite of that, I'm waffling a bit now that I think about it.

Nah, explosives are good. Give your players a sack of dynamite, regardless of the setting and their play style, and something really fun will happen. It'll probably involve completely ruining one of your plans, but it'll be worth it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My Dark Heresy players requisitioned a melta bomb and it ended up taking down a heretic psyker in the middle of a summoning ritual but also causing a localized time loop.

I think of explosives as a kind of get out of jail free card for when they gently caress up, except it also facilitates further fuckups.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
They don't even need dynamite.

"If we fail, we're going to signal the dwarves at the end of this mine to break the two insanely powerful wands we found to collapse this mine on top of us."

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Explosives are the Big Hammer of problem-solving. Sure, if you want to drive a nail, you shouldn't be using a sledge or a maul. But sometimes you just need to take out a support beam and hope for the best when the consequences come down.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

We heard spiders approaching from all around and were surrounded by dry brush and spider web. My War Cleric, who I am playing with a lot of inspiration from professional wrestling, cut a promo calling out the spiders using a thaumaturgy cantrip to make his voice 3x as loud and then our party monk decided it was a grand idea to light the webs on fire. Then we fought several ettercaps and giant spiders. My dude body slammed an ettercap then used spiritual weapon to have a glowy floaty spiritual me dropkick a spider while my guy grappled him so I wouldn't be disadvantaged from all the smoke.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Victorkm posted:

We heard spiders approaching from all around and were surrounded by dry brush and spider web. My War Cleric, who I am playing with a lot of inspiration from professional wrestling, cut a promo calling out the spiders using a thaumaturgy cantrip to make his voice 3x as loud and then our party monk decided it was a grand idea to light the webs on fire. Then we fought several ettercaps and giant spiders. My dude body slammed an ettercap then used spiritual weapon to have a glowy floaty spiritual me dropkick a spider while my guy grappled him so I wouldn't be disadvantaged from all the smoke.

Something about fighting spiders and setting fires, it just always seems to happen. Usually at my hands, now that I think about it. I always look at the webs and think "Huh, those could slow us down. Well I can take care of that." And then we're fighting pissed off spiders in a smoky, dimly lit corridor.

And I just remembered the first time I saw the creative use of a spell. Our party's wizard had jumped into a minecart which turned out to not have brakes. The monk that had followed him in was able to tumble out safely, but the wizard was way more fragile. So, seeing that the cart was about to go sailing off the rails into a pit, he did the only sensible thing. He curled up into a ball on the bottom and cast Web on himself, creating an emergency seatbelt. Quite why he didn't web up the rails is beyond me, but hey, he survived!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Grey Hunter posted:

Same fire or different fire?
You know it's a good game when this is a legit question.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm taking my new WoD Mages to the zoo tomorrow. I don't expect the zoo to survive the encounter.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

VanSandman posted:

I'm taking my new WoD Mages to the zoo tomorrow. I don't expect the zoo to survive the encounter.

Life 5 + Wisdom 3 = fun for the whole family.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Last night, my game group had a bit of an adventure (post-apoc setting). They wander into a warzone, or more accurately they hid in bunkers through all of the "there's a war coming" foreshadowing. Two members, the "Power Gamer/Cat-Piss" Soldier and "Girlfriend of Regular Player, just here for the ride" Technician get separated from the group, and end up carving their way into a huge fallen hover-gunship to wait out the battle and/or get rescued by the rest of the party. Turns out, however, that even though it was violently shot down, there are several survivors inside. The Soldier talks his way in (he's wearing a scavenged suit of their armor, so "oh I was just exploded like the rest of you") and the Tech hides, then tries to escape when the coast is clear.

The Soldier is essentially captured, feigning injury and lead to a medbay where his stuff is taken so he can be treated. This leaves the Tech alone, with no radio contact with her friends. She finds a disguise, then immediately looks for an exit, and finds one at the cargo bay- but is flagged down by another soldier. The cargo bay is packed to the nose with explosive ordinance, and there's a work crew moving explosives away from a fire and they need every hand. She decides to help them for all of thirty seconds, before using one of her nanite powers ('feats') to remote-control a smartbomb and set it off in the big-pile-o-bombs the soldiers have made.

This causes all sorts of chaos, blowing a giantass hole in the hull of the ship and setting all of medbay on fire and collapsing it. The tech decides to climb out of the hole onto the roof of the gunship.

There are a bunch of functional weapon turrets on the top of the gunship, and a second one hovering nearby providing cover and fire support. She proceeds to control a turret and shoot down the second gunship anyway. It careens out of control and lands square on the downed ship, covering the whole mess in jet fuel and fire and explosions, trapping the Soldier in the medbay, who is impaled on debris and set on fire, and has to burn off most of his stats in order to survive at all (essentially taking a slew of permanent injuries, reduction of stats/max health/etc). The Tech is caught somewhat in the explosion but only knocked out.

It's also worth noting that these soldiers are an essentially unknown force who are certainly at war with an established enemy of the party. Enemy of my enemy? Nah, explosions!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Last night while playing 13th age with some friends of mine, my dice rolls were horrible. I believe they were a 1, a 2, a 6, a 2, and a 1. This was the second or third night this bad luck was happening and I was already a little miffed due to a tough assignment that day, so I prerolled my next three attack rolls for the encounter, left the resources my character can provide up for others to use, and then dropped out. I was then informed the next morning that my third and final pre-rolled attack roll, the only actual half-decent roll, hit and killed the 8-headed hydra we'd been facing. I'm going to go ahead and say that my necromancer got bored and/or frustrated, summoned a skeletal mage in his place and went to get a cup of coffee while things kept going. He will spit said coffee upon hearing that said skeleton killed the hydra.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Evilreaver posted:

nanite powers ('feats')
Didn't you mention this homebrew system before? Does it have a rule/sourcebook PDF?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Unknown Quantity posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say that my necromancer got bored and/or frustrated, summoned a skeletal mage in his place and went to get a cup of coffee while things kept going. He will spit said coffee upon hearing that said skeleton killed the hydra.
This is awesome and I would totally allow that.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
We had to enter a fortress absolutely stuffed full of bandits, my character, the fighter/engineer/magitech expert(we reflavored Eldritch Knight in 5E a little bit) had spent the entire previous session thwarting said bandit group's plan to blow up the king's castle by disarming and keeping the bombs while the rest of the party confronted their dockfront smuggling boat with plenty of fire and swords.

Naturally, 1+1=2 and we entered the fortress sans a handful of very powerful explosives and managed to skip about a dozen encounters.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Rannos22 posted:

I used to game with a guy who would say on occasion, "The gun is your skill list. Intimidate? 'Let me by or I'll shoot you'. Lockpicking? You shoot the lock. Perception? 'I know you're hiding in there, come out or I'll shoot you'." I know he was quoting something (and I'm getting the wording wrong), but does anyone know the exact source?

(There's also "Violence solves everything. If it doesn't solve your current problem, you're not using enough" from the webcomic 8-Bit theater.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Stealth: "You didn't see me, or I will shoot you."