Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Chris Knight posted:

Jeez, how dusty do your sisters get?

Well I haven't moved the bodies in a few years so as dusty as anything else in the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Fun stuff.

The bike wouldn't start this morning, telltale press starter button and click, so I jumped it. Ride 50 miles. Stop, and notice smoke coming out from the top of the motor somewhere. I turn the bike off, take off the side cover, and see that the crankcase breather tube came loose from the airbox and the hose clamp is nowhere to be found. Bike won't start back up. Wiggle some wires, and the gauges come back to life. Can't wiggle them enough to get it to start, however. Get another jump.

I pass by a suzuki dealer, and think "hey, I can get a hose clamp." And apparently also some side cover screws that I left on the side of the road somewhere.

Not so much. No screws, no clamps. But the bike started right back up with no problems, so whatever.

I got a hose clamp from Ace Hardware, and am using one screw in each side cover (of two). It'll work.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Lynza posted:

Jesus Christ. Hey guys, guess how much a single new Ninja 300 side mirror costs?

If you said, "$75," you were right! I had to ask the guy if that was for just one, or a set. Those cheapo ones are looking more enticing by the minute.

$75 for an OEM mirror seems pretty reasonable actually.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

$75 for an OEM mirror seems pretty reasonable actually.

Jesus, no wonder Aprilia mirrors are such a popular item on other bikes - £16 for the OE Shiver/DD/Tuono/Mana mirror, or £50 for the RSV4 mirror that includes the turn signals.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Today I cleaned my leaking fork seal.

Before

After the clean and a ride

After the ride it felt every so slightly oily. You can see a finger smudge in the second pic. Do you guys think it's still leaking?

I also fixed my lower fairing not connecting under the bike, because the plastic broke around the screw hole. Thankfully, there was another hole missing a screw so I was able to put the screw in there to keep it together. I need some new lower cowls.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You still need to open it up to set the fork oil height.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Alright. After riding to work though it looks like it's leaking still anyways.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Yesterday was quite bumpy on the way into work, then I found an ugly 2 inch bulge coming out of my rear tyre; so off to the shop it went.

Come back at lunch time to collect it with a fresh tyre swapped out, and conveniently the remnants of Hurricane Gonzalo decided to park up outside the country today; so very harsh winds on wet lovely roads, wasn't quite prepared for being blasted between tower blocks.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I finally got the right sized line installed between the oil tank and the injector pump on my Zuma, bled it and took it for a test ride. It seemed to work, the level in the tank decreased slightly after a few miles, and not because a line popped off this time!

I'm now off the premix! I'll ride it to work tomorrow and around a bit after, and hopefully continue to consume oil and not my bearings.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Schroeder91 posted:

Alright. After riding to work though it looks like it's leaking still anyways.

Oil will accumulate under the dust cap between it and the fork seal if it's been leaking a bit. You can lift the dust cap and clean that area, you will then know for sure if the seal is still leaking. You can also just look at the seal and see if stuff is coming out there.

Oil height may be an issue if you've let it go a long time. If it's only leaked a bit I wouldn't worry about it until it's time to replace the fork oil. You could pretty easily set the fork oil height without having to fully tear apart the fork. Just pulling the fork tubes and removing the top cap is still quite a bit less work than replacing a fork seal. Especially if you've never done it before and don't have a fork seal driver. If you do want to replace the fork seals and you don't want to DIY and you don't want to pay full rate. Pull the fork tubes and bring them in, a shop should only charge you ~1hr + cost of seals/oil. Pulling/reinstalling the fork tubes should save you about .5 - 1hr of labor.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

The Suzuki GS500 got new bikemaster european bars, progrip gels, and a SV650 throttle tube today.

Awesome upgrade on the bike.

Now to buy new bar end weights because the old ones would not come out of the old bars no matter how much pblaster and love with a rubber mallet I gave it. No I did not make the mistake of taking the screws out too far at first

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's the SV throttle tube for? Less turn to WOT?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
It is less turn to WOT with a SV650 throttle tube. The GS500 you have to hamfist the poo poo out of the throttle to get WOT.

Before the question is asked.. The reason why I didn't use a R6 tube is because pre 2002 bikes have issues with the throttle not snapping back and remaining open.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Used pitbull stands got in yesterday, finally got to do an oil change today woohoo. Odd thing is this bike has an aftermarket exhaust and used to backfire|pop exhaust|I have no idea, it just made popping noises occasionally while first idling and under deceleration. After the oil change starting it up, letting it idle, and revving etc no more noises. No idea if it's just that it's already warmed up or just hasn't turned up in a few minutes if testing :shobon:

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 31, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My car pops and burbles on decel a lot more when the oil is old too. I dunno what it is.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Rear tire went flat. Practically did a 180 taking a relatively gentle turn. Not fun.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Spitting and popping on decel rules

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Tried to replace the low fender with a high one, but one bolt is totally unaccessible without taking the front wheel off so I guess that will have to wait until I need to take it off for another reason.

Got a Kriega US-20 drybag setup as a tailbag. Super nice quality and now that it's set up it should be totally hassle free to put on and take off.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Out with the old posts, in with the new! And only like 2 weeks behind schedule...

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
So is getting those in just a vice grip job or is there a neater proper way?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
To put the new ones in I put the new nuts on the top threads, wound it on all the way to the end of the thread, and used a tall socket to drive it in. Once in nice and tight, Vise Grips on the smooth part of the stud and used the socket to loosen the nut off.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I put my bike up at the start of the summer after thoroughly killing the battery. Heat & rain kept me away until now - washed, replaced battery & took it out to run a few errands:

Definitely riding in to work tomorrow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

To put the new ones in I put the new nuts on the top threads, wound it on all the way to the end of the thread, and used a tall socket to drive it in. Once in nice and tight, Vise Grips on the smooth part of the stud and used the socket to loosen the nut off.

The way I was taught to do them was to get two nuts onto the threaded section and tighten them against eachother. Then you turn the stud in until it's tight and use two spanners to release the nuts off eachother, no vicegrips involved.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Eh, not like I needed the vise grips to be super tight or anything, just needed something to hold the stud while I loosened the but. But I can see your approach working pretty well, too.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Dropped the ninja off with its new owner today :'( Time to grab a winter deal on a new bike.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

My TR650 was suffering from stumbling and surging at low rpm, which appears to be a common complaint with this bike and a lot of new EFI bikes in general. I installed a Wuka King thingy today to trick the bike into thinking it's colder and make it run richer. Super simple install and riding it around the neighborhood, slow speed stuff is so much easier now. I was riding the clutch before to keep the RPMs up, but now there's no stubling at all and much easier to ride.

I couldn't find green zipties, but hopefully red will hold up for a while.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
Put 'er away for the season (probably). 6-10 inches of snow on the way tonight & tomorrow, and temps in the teens and twenties (F) mean that stuff'll be sticking around. Sigh.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Clean pistons are happy pistons.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Tried putting some red tape around the rims of my DRZ, then took it off again. It might just be that the "tape" wasn't wide enough, but that stuff is really hard to put on without it looking like rear end.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
gently caress yeah $30 fender eliminator

I also went and threw on the factory tail light on because the smoked one the PO installed was dim as poo poo and I don't like being invisible when braking.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I crashed the fucker at a trackday.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Marxalot posted:

Tried putting some red tape around the rims of my DRZ, then took it off again. It might just be that the "tape" wasn't wide enough, but that stuff is really hard to put on without it looking like rear end.

If it's on a roll, you need an applicator (usually supplied, but sometimes not) to make it look nice. If they are the curved ones (I think they are called gp-style?), you need to measure out their starting points. Use the inside rim lip/edge as a visual marker and aim for an even distance between it and the tape. Peel a bit of the backing off, apply the tape as good as you can get it, and repeat.

The rounded stickers are worse to put on imho, but at least you can see what you're doing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Unhooked the battery, took off the sidecases, greased the chain, put on the cover and the disc lock.

This winter/next year:

Fresh oil
New brakelines
Get the rear shock checked out/resprung if possible/replaced if neccessary. I don't think VStrom shocks are rebuildable.
Actually wash the drat thing, & maybe degrime the swingarm, back wheel, & front sprocket cover

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

KARMA! posted:

If it's on a roll, you need an applicator (usually supplied, but sometimes not) to make it look nice. If they are the curved ones (I think they are called gp-style?), you need to measure out their starting points. Use the inside rim lip/edge as a visual marker and aim for an even distance between it and the tape. Peel a bit of the backing off, apply the tape as good as you can get it, and repeat.

The rounded stickers are worse to put on imho, but at least you can see what you're doing.

I was using some pre-curved stuff I found on ebay. The problem was that with how thin they were (6mm) it ended up with a really obvious wobble that made it like the ghetto $8 setup that it was.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Caught another 50+ sunny day and did the needful. Final encore, I'm sure. Define irony: parked in town, old timer walks by and says "Ya got that Harley spitshined and looking like a new marble." I think I cleaned it once this summer, and it's the filthiest it's ever been. Took some pics, but the iPhone at dusk is so grainy I might as well have been holding a 110 Instamatic in one hand and a candle in the other.

Winterization procrastination is not without its perquisites.

From earlier in the season, off of Woodward Ave:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Marv Hushman posted:

Caught another 50+ sunny day and did the needful. Final encore, I'm sure. Define irony: parked in town, old timer walks by and says "Ya got that Harley spitshined and looking like a new marble." I think I cleaned it once this summer, and it's the filthiest it's ever been. Took some pics, but the iPhone at dusk is so grainy I might as well have been holding a 110 Instamatic in one hand and a candle in the other.

I never knew my bike could look so good!! drat I need new rear springs. And a wash. And the stock exhaust. And hard bags. And a 3/4 fairing.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Farkles: not even once.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

It's you Marv, you have the stock harley. Just you. Keep it safe, and pass it on to a worthy owner when your time has passed.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Slavvy posted:

It's you Marv, you have the stock harley. Just you. Keep it safe, and pass it on to a worthy owner when your time has passed.

Or give it to me as a parts bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seriously though as far as cruisers go that's a phenomenal looking bike. I feel like I've seen every variant of the sportster in person except for that one. They all look like garbage except for the XR1200 and the completely blacked-out type.