Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
We probably ought to at least wait until the game is officially out and inevitably* day one patched before we assess the quality of it.

*Inevitably because that's apparently how games are these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pork Pie Hat posted:

We probably ought to at least wait until the game is officially out and inevitably* day one patched before we assess the quality of it.

It's loving stupid. There's been times I've been without internet for long stretches, and half the time you buy a single player game, it barely even works out of the box, and you're stuck with it. You'd think developers would take enough pride to at least put out a working product initially instead of just being all, nah, we'll just patch all this poo poo later.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

The person in the PS4 thread was making the observations AFTER the day 1 patch had been applied. It was a stuttering mess with low FPS even after the 800mb~ day 1 patch.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Volkerball posted:

It's loving stupid. There's been times I've been without internet for long stretches, and half the time you buy a single player game, it barely even works out of the box, and you're stuck with it. You'd think developers would take enough pride to at least put out a working product initially instead of just being all, nah, we'll just patch all this poo poo later.

That's not a problem with Steam/UPlay games because you need to be online initially to active it anyway.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I see Steam people are already able to preload has anyone been able to on the Uplay client, if they want people to buy more games directly they aren't doing a good job of it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ragingsheep posted:

That's not a problem with Steam/UPlay games because you need to be online initially to active it anyway.

On PC. You don't have to on console. I played most of watch dogs without connecting to the internet ever. Only reason I bought it was because the internet was down and I was bored.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ymgve posted:

Welp.

(Companion app)

I...wait...what...we have to PAY for the companion app this time around? :psyduck:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It doesn't look like it's gonna have much bearing on gameplay like Kenway's fleet did though.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Megasabin posted:

The person in the PS4 thread was making the observations AFTER the day 1 patch had been applied. It was a stuttering mess with low FPS even after the 800mb~ day 1 patch.

He was making observations after a patch was applied, according to him. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm with the guy who said it's stupid that any game needs a patch the day it comes out. But all we have so far are the opinions of one guy, playing before the game's release date. For all we know there's a patch that doesn't even appear on PSN until tomorrow. Hell for all we know the dude doesn't even have the game.*

I'm not saying we should wait for the reviews, because I think we've all been stung by misleading reviews before, but let's at least wait until lots of us have got there hands on the thing and played it before castigating it.

* I mean, sure, he probably has, but my point is it's one guy on the internet. He might not even be a guy. He might be a dog.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Megasabin posted:

There could still be an actual day 1 patch, the one from before just sounds like a pre-release patch.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

He was making observations after a patch was applied, according to him. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm with the guy who said it's stupid that any game needs a patch the day it comes out. But all we have so far are the opinions of one guy, playing before the game's release date. For all we know there's a patch that doesn't even appear on PSN until tomorrow. Hell for all we know the dude doesn't even have the game.*

I'm not saying we should wait for the reviews, because I think we've all been stung by misleading reviews before, but let's at least wait until lots of us have got there hands on the thing and played it before castigating it.

* I mean, sure, he probably has, but my point is it's one guy on the internet. He might not even be a guy. He might be a dog.

He posted a picture of the actual box that had arrived in the mail. He said it applied an 800mb day one patch. He's not an official reviewer, he's just some dude on SA posting his opinion.

Not sure what more you want here. If you really want to play it yourself to make these conclusions, that's fine, but there's a ton of people in the thread who are right on the edge of paying 60 dollars, and they should know what people who actually own the game are saying.

Edit: You are right that there could be another/different patch on release date. The above news is still not promising.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 11, 2014

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Megasabin posted:

He posted a picture of the actual box that had arrived in the mail. He said it applied an 800mb day one patch. He's not an official reviewer, he's just some dude on SA posting his opinion.

Not sure what more you want here. If you really want to play it yourself to make these conclusions, that's fine, but there's a ton of people in the thread who are right on the edge of paying 60 dollars, and they should know what people who actually own the game are saying.

You've answered your own question. What more I want is the opinions of more than just one person playing a game before its release date.

If these 'ton of people' are really swayed by a single opinion, perhaps they should be more careful with their 60 dollars in the first place. The game isn't going to sell out overnight, have some patience.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Some people were asking about Uplay preloading...there is NO Uplay preload for North America - http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/946383-Get-ready-to-Pre-load-Assassin%E2%80%99s-Creed-Unity

So if you bought the game directly or through the Pick Your Path offer, well looks like you're hosed regarding that for now.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

Black Flag on the 360 had a veritable ton of pop-in, particularly with city civilians in havana.

Welcome to playing a game designed to modern standards on a system with 512MB RAM shared between the system and video RAM.

Streets Ahead
Oct 21, 2010

cool cool cool
So I just put in a download code off eBay for unity on my Xbox one and it says it's installing. Does anyone know if this is just the pre-loading or will I be able to play before it unlocks officially?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Noirex posted:

Some people were asking about Uplay preloading...there is NO Uplay preload for North America - http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/946383-Get-ready-to-Pre-load-Assassin%E2%80%99s-Creed-Unity

So if you bought the game directly or through the Pick Your Path offer, well looks like you're hosed regarding that for now.

Wait...what? I literally just preordered the game via GMG 2 minutes ago and it's letting me preload as we speak, at 1.8 MB/s.

Edit: Maybe I'm misreading it and that only applies if you bought the game via Uplay, and not from a 3rd party vendor? :psyduck:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Wait...what? I literally just preordered the game via GMG 2 minutes ago and it's letting me preload as we speak, at 1.8 MB/s.

If you bought the game through Uplay or got it free with your videocard they don't give you a Steam key you have to use the Uplay client which doesn't allow preloading in America yet(but does in Europe)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how are people just now realizing ubisoft is capable of putting out a game with lovely framerate that doesn't match E3 levels of wonder whilst also burying you in companion app bullshit and Uplay microtransactions? every stream I've seen looks beautiful til a dude's head pops out of nowhere and the game stutters to 20FPS so I guess I'll wait for reviews.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

socialsecurity posted:

If you bought the game through Uplay or got it free with your videocard they don't give you a Steam key you have to use the Uplay client which doesn't allow preloading in America yet(but does in Europe)

I got a Uplay key from Green Man Gaming and it's currently downlading via Uplay though - it's not on Steam.

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why the gently caress are you playing Assassin's Creed with a mouse anyways? I did that once with AC2 while my controller wasn't working, and never loving again. The beauty of PC is that you can use mouse and keyboard for games that control better with them like FPSes and RTSes, but also controllers for games that control better with one like fighting games and third person action games like AC.

This is a late as hell response, but I use M&KB for all of the AC games. Have since the beginning, except for Black Flag when I tried to use controller for about two hours because I'd been using it a ton for Souls games over the past two years. I'll say that compared to every time I hear "Oh yeah I just jumped off a roof for no reason all the time in AC__" I've never once had that problem while using M&KB with the games, and the rest of it controls fine as well.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I got a Uplay key from Green Man Gaming and it's currently downlading via Uplay though - it's not on Steam.

They also said there would be no Uplay preload for Watch Dogs and there absolutely was. It's probably a right hand left hand issue because Ubisoft is enormous.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

MinibarMatchman posted:

how are people just now realizing ubisoft is capable of putting out a game with lovely framerate that doesn't match E3 levels of wonder whilst also burying you in companion app bullshit and Uplay microtransactions? every stream I've seen looks beautiful til a dude's head pops out of nowhere and the game stutters to 20FPS so I guess I'll wait for reviews.

When the reviews say "More the same folks. Better than AC3, but not quite as good as AC2. AC fans will enjoy it, but it won't make any new converts." will that be a purchase or an avoid for you? Because that's what the reviews are going to say.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Volkerball posted:

It doesn't look like it's gonna have much bearing on gameplay like Kenway's fleet did though.

Looking over the app on iOS (its out BTW), there's a nomad brotherhood mechanic similar to AC:Brohood/Revelations. So there's some stuff to do when not playing the game, I guess.

So the base app is free, there's a paid "premium option" as seen above.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

How are you doing that nobody else in NA has been able to yet.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Megasabin posted:

When the reviews say "More the same folks. Better than AC3, but not quite as good as AC2. AC fans will enjoy it, but it won't make any new converts." will that be a purchase or an avoid for you? Because that's what the reviews are going to say.

why on Earth would anyone want to play a game below the par of AC2 if they like the AC series? I know this is now the popular sentence to parrot but it's a boring one and insinuates people who play the series are retarded.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Besides, literally the last AC to come out was trumpeted as one of the best ever, and it was, so it's not like they all get treated the same way.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

why on Earth would anyone want to play a game below the par of AC2 if they like the AC series? I know this is now the popular sentence to parrot but it's a boring one and insinuates people who play the series are retarded.

Probably because AC2 was both an exceptional game and such an enormous improvement over AC1 that it's hard to compare things to it. Since the series has been mostly treading water in terms of forward mechanics progress since then, it's hard to get a game better than AC2 because nothing has been such a dramatic leap forward. Unity might be that game, but probably won't be.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Orv posted:

Probably because AC2 was both an exceptional game and such an enormous improvement over AC1 that it's hard to compare things to it. Since the series has been mostly treading water in terms of forward mechanics progress since then, it's hard to get a game better than AC2 because nothing has been such a dramatic leap forward. Unity might be that game, but probably won't be.

Unity kind of has the look of a "proper" followup to the AC2 material, which will probably be interesting to see reflect in reviews (maybe the words "return to form" thrown around). AC3/4 took different landscapes than the kind of architecture in Rome/Paris. Vertical exploration is something I missed a lot even in AC4 with its tiny huts and beach villages.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I think most of us only tolerate AC because there's nothing else that plays like it. Hopefully that changes with Shadow of Mordor's success. It's similar to Mount and Blade in my opinion. lovely game overall but it does something no one else is doing so it's your only choice.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

socialsecurity posted:

How are you doing that nobody else in NA has been able to yet.

gently caress if I know, maybe there's an exception for Texas? Currently at 4% downloaded.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Unity kind of has the look of a "proper" followup to the AC2 material, which will probably be interesting to see reflect in reviews (maybe the words "return to form" thrown around). AC3/4 took different landscapes than the kind of architecture in Rome/Paris. Vertical exploration is something I missed a lot even in AC4 with its tiny huts and beach villages.

Yeah I like what I've seen so far in those areas, I'm just sort of worried that it might also be another AC3, which looked great in prerelease and then... was AC3.

E: :siren: In case no-one had noticed, it appears to be a 12AM PST/3AM EST launch.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 11, 2014

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

gently caress if I know, maybe there's an exception for Texas? Currently at 4% downloaded.

I think it has to do with what key you bought maybe you bought a European key from GMG, I tried VPNing over the EU but it still won't let me preload from there based on what my key was.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

socialsecurity posted:

I think it has to do with what key you bought maybe you bought a European key from GMG, I tried VPNing over the EU but it still won't let me preload from there based on what my key was.

Could easily be the case, I believe GMG is based in the UK?

Oh well - I'm not entirely sure I'll even be able to run the game, my GPU is a 7950 whereas the minimum required GPU is supposedly a 7970. Shouldn't make a big difference but we'll see.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Could easily be the case, I believe GMG is based in the UK?

Oh well - I'm not entirely sure I'll even be able to run the game, my GPU is a 7950 whereas the minimum required GPU is supposedly a 7970. Shouldn't make a big difference but we'll see.

Yeah, I don't think there's actually that big a difference between the 7950 and 7970 hardware wise besides clock speeds. If it was like a 7750 I would say it might be "can't run" but if anything it'll probably just be slightly slower than the 7970.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like those shaving gel items actually use the UPC code, and so are universal.

Reddit page has them: http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/2lq7en/free_assassins_creed_unity_ingame_content_edge/

Stupidly, it's one code per UPlay account so if you want them all you need to create throwaway UPlay accounts.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, I don't think there's actually that big a difference between the 7950 and 7970 hardware wise besides clock speeds. If it was like a 7750 I would say it might be "can't run" but if anything it'll probably just be slightly slower than the 7970.

Looking at the Ubi forums apparently the minimum specs are VERY inflated, at least for the Nvidia side of the house - folks are playing with much lower spec'd GPUs. However there are known issues with AMD cards so I'll just have to wait and see once the game is loaded in a few hours.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Edit: Maybe I'm misreading it and that only applies if you bought the game via Uplay, and not from a 3rd party vendor? :psyduck:

I got my copy through the video card deal and it's not letting me preload. So maybe it's specifically no preload for that deal and buying directly through the Uplay shop, which is really stupid and makes no sense whatsoever.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Noirex posted:

I got my copy through the video card deal and it's not letting me preload. So maybe it's specifically no preload for that deal and buying directly through the Uplay shop, which is really stupid and makes no sense whatsoever.

Whatever the reason is, it apparently is getting resolved by next week when FC4 comes out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So when are the legit reviews dropping?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Calaveron posted:

So when are the legit reviews dropping?

I read somewhere that embargo drops tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

A couple goons (including me) have copies already. Unfortunately I'm working for another four hours, but a guy in the PS4 thread says it's a buggy piece of poo poo.

edit: I should probably read the thread before posting.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 11, 2014

• Locked thread