Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Book Cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Well, not like I enjoyed having money or anything.

I think this is the list I'm going to run soon.

Hive tyrant, wings, dual devourers, electroshock grubs.

Hive tyrant, wings, dual devourers, electroshock grubs.

20 termagants, with 15 devourers.

20 termagants, with 15 devourers.

Malanthrope.

Two zoanthropes and a neurothrope

Two zoanthropes and a neurothrope

Carnifex, devourers, deathspitter, adrenal glands.

Five tyrannocites, three with barbed stranglers, Two with venom cannons.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ooh wow, campaign supplement. Does that mean something new for BA players? What was the Stormclaw supplement like, has anyone tried it?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

Five tyrannocites, three with barbed stranglers, Two with venom cannons.

Scattering 25 blast templates per turn is going to drive you nuts. Especially when you have to shoot the nearest target, and they end up scattering into the units you just landed thanks to BS2. Just saying.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

krushgroove posted:

Ooh wow, campaign supplement. Does that mean something new for BA players? What was the Stormclaw supplement like, has anyone tried it?
The rumors were that there'd be a set just like Stormclaw but with BA and Nids, with BA getting a captain and Nids getting a Broodlord or Tyranid Prime depending who you asked.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Looks like it will be the Broodlord then. Great way to sell all the box sets. Although imagine if they released the Space Hulk Terminators and Genestelears just slightly modified to fit onto 40k bases.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.

Mango Polo posted:

And the Venomthropes. Love the updated look.

I feel like somewhere in that model there is a creepy hentai-tentacle-beast-style mount of Slaneesh waiting to be unleashed!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

xtothez posted:

Scattering 25 blast templates per turn is going to drive you nuts. Especially when you have to shoot the nearest target, and they end up scattering into the units you just landed thanks to BS2. Just saying.

I thought about this, but I think I can make it work. Careful placement and order of operations will be key.

The hope is it drives my opponent more nuts than me.

The biggest harm to me is that's over $300 of tyrannocites.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Looks like it will be the Broodlord then. Great way to sell all the box sets. Although imagine if they released the Space Hulk Terminators and Genestelears just slightly modified to fit onto 40k bases.

that sounds absurd but I reckon they might just do that

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dude just smash up some ostrich eggs and shellac that poo poo, no need to buy all those models.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I can't help but think the relatively quick re-release of the Space Hulk box set was meant to get people thinking about Nids and Blood Angels...

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.

SRM posted:

Hey, happy to hear your process! At this point I think I'd just really like to see what your bike looks like. I just did the blue on this set of bikes and that wasn't bad since it was basically all flat surfaces, but I'm gonna be relieved when this squad is done.

I'll take a shot a some pictures tonight. It'll be my first internet post of my work, so be gentle :buddy:.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cataphract posted:

that sounds absurd but I reckon they might just do that

In the world of 3d cad design just how difficult would it be? They are all designed to be flat so it would just be a case of putting in a pack of terminator bases.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Man, those zoanthropes look so terrible. I'll never understand why they decided to depart so far from the eerie 4th edition zoanthropes and these new ones are the worst ones yet. My little hosed up tyranid. It literally looks like an edgy pokemon midair as it hops onto it's back to roll around in the grass and sunshine.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Master Twig posted:

I thought about this, but I think I can make it work. Careful placement and order of operations will be key.

The hope is it drives my opponent more nuts than me.

The biggest harm to me is that's over $300 of tyrannocites.

Seriously dude this will loving piss off your opponent, and scattering is ripe for bickering between opponents (I say its 3 not 4 under the template... you didn't move it far/didn't move it enough, you moved it slightly at the wrong angle so it shouldn't hit my rhino blah blah). Even doing a thunderfire + Wyvern, which is 8 linked templates, is pretty time consuming relative to the rest of the turn.

Though I know its only theoryhammer ofc

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah man, taking 2 thudd guns, which throw out 8 pogs per turn, can slow things down a lot.

Good thing I have 6.

Hencoe posted:

Book Cover

Nice hotlink breh

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah man, taking 2 thudd guns, which throw out 8 pogs per turn, can slow things down a lot.

Good thing I have 6.

Nice hotlink breh

I'm on a phone at work, I copy paste what people send me.

So anyone know what else is in HH4 other than knights and Solar auxillia?

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 10, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you're not using a pair of small blast templates to do your multiple blasts you're causing yourself unnecessary grief.

Also, remember that second edition template with the split pins?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

Seriously dude this will loving piss off your opponent, and scattering is ripe for bickering between opponents (I say its 3 not 4 under the template... you didn't move it far/didn't move it enough, you moved it slightly at the wrong angle so it shouldn't hit my rhino blah blah). Even doing a thunderfire + Wyvern, which is 8 linked templates, is pretty time consuming relative to the rest of the turn.

Though I know its only theoryhammer ofc

Hahah what? Who the gently caress cares, he's allowed to have blast templates. You sound super uptight.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Ignite Memories posted:

Hahah what? Who the gently caress cares, he's allowed to have blast templates. You sound super uptight.

Yeah that came off as a bit uptight, but as an opponent I find it super tedious having to watch a ton of scatters (even more if theyre twin linked), knowing it genuinely matters to pay attention to each one to ensure accurate numbers of hits and wounds etc.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well have you ever considered that maybe tyranid players find it tedious watching you move all your little metal boxes around the table? Check your privilege.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah dude i'd hate to accidentally have one too many guardsman die it could cost you a loving lot in the world of high stakes competitive warhammer 40k

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nah, it's true, it can get tedious. Especially when its multiple groups of units and you have 12 small pinning barrage blasts.

You just have to know the rules really well and hammer through the rolls. It really bogs down when people are constantly asking for rules clarifications or forget which unit which man is inside.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I can see how that many templates would be annoying, but no more so than waiting for a green tide to move.

When using templates I try to move quickly and I always make sure the scatter die is rolled near the target to ensure accurate direction.

I could drop a spore and use some points to outflank one of the gaunt squads, as well as bolster their numbers.

I'm not trying to be a dick, the stranglers and venom cannons are just so much better.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Cataphract posted:

If you're not using a pair of small blast templates to do your multiple blasts you're causing yourself unnecessary grief.

Also, remember that second edition template with the split pins?

That's the Thudd Gun template! You used D12's with that thing! :D

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
You mean the Venom Cannon template :colbert:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
He means quad mortar template :smugdog::pipe:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The haruspex and pyrovores are garbage, but put them in a pod and they just become worse than every other choice in the elite slot!

Genestealers in a pod wouldn't be too bad either. It would horribly mutilate any horde army ever. Cast the horror on one unit, drop 5 venom cannons/barbed stranglers on a second, and let a third choose between the genestealers and the pod. Basically the drop pod is the best unit in the game.

Stupid option: Deathleaper, three units of lictors, 3 units of spore mines, and 6 units of mucolid spores.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I used the Thudd Gun because it was the best weapon because it had the best template.

edit:

Also

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/THE_HORUS_HERESY_BOOK_FOUR-CONQUEST_SPECIAL_EDITION.html

Pre-Order Book 4 Horus Heresy.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, I'm going through the Fire Raptor kit I bought recently and I've run into a couple of snags. Turns out Forge World didn't include the clear canopy so I either need to contact them about it or source one myself. Also, was this kit supposed to come with a flying base? It seems odd that that would be left out.

That said, I'm pretty excited to build this thing and I got IA 13 along with it. Its rules in there are an iteration of the trial and Horus Heresy rules and are pretty solid. It now has the option of switching its terrible ordnance hellstrikes for some S5 large blasts for 15 points which seems like a good idea. The special rending ammo seems like a pretty big points sink though, especially for the heavy bolters. But who takes those when the reaper battery's a thing? Honestly, that rending ammo is hilariously overpriced on most units for some reason. The book seems to assume that you will take all the heavy bolters you can get. The Fire Raptor also has the option of a dirge caster which I thought was a little odd for a gunship at first, but I can see the utility and for 5 points I'm going to try it out. Nothing really says 40k like a ten thousand year old gunship held together through spite, hatred, and baling wire roaring in and shooting everything in sight set to its own soundtrack of heavy metal and/or the screams of the damned. :black101:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Can't it get Warpflame Gargoyles as well or something like that? Still waiting on my Imperial Armour

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Safety Factor posted:

Also, was this kit supposed to come with a flying base? It seems odd that that would be left out.

I don't think so. Doesn't show up on the page or in the description. Give'em an e-mail about the canopy and ask them about the flight stand too just to be sure.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't think any of the Forgeworld fliers come with flight stands actually.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The Avenger does. The older kits don't come with a mount though, you're just supposed to use a dowel or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Flying bases are my 40k trigger word because I put together a Warhammer 40k 2nd edition metal Landspeeder and never got over the trauma. It still makes me angry to think about that stupid loving bullshit.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ghetto wormhole posted:

The Avenger does. The older kits don't come with a mount though, you're just supposed to use a dowel or something.

Yeah, but the Fire Raptor is based off of the Stormraven and uses its main body which includes the four-pronged mount. It's also weird because the kit includes like 3/4 of a Stormraven. At that point, they should've just included the entire box. Oh well.

Slimnoid posted:

I don't think so. Doesn't show up on the page or in the description. Give'em an e-mail about the canopy and ask them about the flight stand too just to be sure.

That's my plan. I just checked the different fliers on Forge World's site and none of them even mention a flying base. Though it is possible to buy one for 6.5 pounds. :v:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
How would you guys feel about playing against this counting as a Maulerfiend?

I originally made the bent knee shorter to make it look like it was running (and to make it more in line with how short a maulerfiend is) but it didn't really look right. It's shorter than the original pose now but still somewhat tall.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

ghetto wormhole posted:

My Chaos Helblade did - so I they may have added them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Put that on a 120mm oval and you'll be good. That's way taller than a maulerfiend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Is the 120 mm oval the flyer base? It's on the flyer base at the moment.

Here's a comparison shot with the rest of the 40k bases and a vehicle:

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 11, 2014

• Locked thread