Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Frobbe posted:

Anyone here have experience using the hifiberry DAC+ ? i want to use my raspberry pi B+ as a streaming device for my stereo, and this looks like the ideal solution for that purpose. I'd also like to use a piTFT or similar, but i can't find any details on which pins the piTFT or the DAC+ use and if i can use both at the same time.

Nope, but Volumio is pretty sweet for running DACS (or for a charlatan like me, the analog output!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I would send them an email to ask if anyone has gotten both to work. The PiTFT uses SPI if I remember correctly, so it's going to need at least those pins and probably a few GPIOs. I would be pretty leery about it working with another SPI device just because it's tough to know which one uses which chip enable pin and if they might conflict.

One thing to consider though, why not just control the Pi with your phone? I think the music streaming related distros like Volumio add a small web server to let you control them.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
I recently just installed http://www.runeaudio.com/ and I absolutely love it, it runs a nice HTML control panel that works on pretty much everything (granted, I am also a plebeian running it just off analog speakers :D)

Edit: seems like runeaudio might just be a fork of volumio? either way, either probably work great.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 2, 2014

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

mod sassinator posted:

I would send them an email to ask if anyone has gotten both to work. The PiTFT uses SPI if I remember correctly, so it's going to need at least those pins and probably a few GPIOs. I would be pretty leery about it working with another SPI device just because it's tough to know which one uses which chip enable pin and if they might conflict.

One thing to consider though, why not just control the Pi with your phone? I think the music streaming related distros like Volumio add a small web server to let you control them.

It was more a case of me wanting a fancy display showing what's currently playing :) i've got a thread on their forums about this and there's another dude there experimenting with the exact same thing, so i'll let him figure it out for me!

speaking of DACs, there's the wolffson and the hifiberry DAC+, are there any other good DACs/soundcards for the RPI?. I will be outputting via analog because my stereo simply isn't fancy enough for digital inputs anyway (who knew they didn't anticipate digital stuff in the early eighties)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

quote:

Raspberry Pi Model A+ Board Features a 40-pin GPIO Connector, a micro SD slot, and Improved Power Management

After the Raspberry Pi foundation officially announced Raspberry Pi Model B+ board, it was natural to expect a Model A+ to come soon after. Based on a webpage on Element14, an update of the cheapest version of the Raspberry Pi could get announced very soon, maybe as soon as Monday. It has specifications very similar to Model A, but replaces the 26-pin GPIO connector, by a 40-pin connector, a micro SD slot takes the place of a full-sized SD slot, and power management has been improved so that it’s more efficient, and can support “power hungry” USB devices.

Beside the price Model A+ should also have lower power consumption, but Element14 simply mentions “A+ board now uses less power (600mA) than the Model A Board (750mA) when running.”, but this conflicts with R-Pi B+ page listed Model B+ drawing 600 mA, against Model B 750 mA, and model A drawing the same 600 mA. So it’s either a mistake, or a different power measurement scenario. Model A+ board is also smaller than Model B+, and based on a different PCB.

Price has not been announced yet, but I fully expect it to still cost $25. We should know more in the next few days.
There's a comparison chart at the link.

P.S. gently caress websites that append crap when you copy/paste text from them

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I'm curious what's exposed on those new pins, although it's probably just more GPIO ones.

Seems a shame they'd change the PCB shape so much for a revision that doesn't add that much more functionality. Power efficiency and GPIO pins are nice, but breaking case compatibility is a pain.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm sure you'll still be able to find the regular ones. If the form factor is significantly smaller, then it is a worthwhile improvement.

Yes, the extra pins are more GPIO. The old Pis have them too, they're just located in a different position and don't have headers soldered into them from factory.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
A while ago I was asking about remotes for the Pi. Eventually I decided to abandon the RF requirement and went with this IR one: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003WF0FBO

Worked first time for most buttons (the important ones, I don't feel like I'm missing any) with Rasplex.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
My Hifiberry DAC+ arrived today, and man that thing is amazing.

i also asked nicely on the order form, so they threw in a free 3.5mm phonejack connector, which i soldered on myself. The only thing i regred with this thing is that they don't supply you with any documentation at all, so there's a bunch of headers and whatnot on the board that i'd like to know what is for, but i can only guess :(

The sound quality however, is really great! definitely worth it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Frobbe posted:

My Hifiberry DAC+ arrived today, and man that thing is amazing.

i also asked nicely on the order form, so they threw in a free 3.5mm phonejack connector, which i soldered on myself. The only thing i regred with this thing is that they don't supply you with any documentation at all, so there's a bunch of headers and whatnot on the board that i'd like to know what is for, but i can only guess :(

The sound quality however, is really great! definitely worth it.

What does this do? Is it basically a super high quality MP3 / audio player?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
From glancing at the website it looks like a sound card for the pi.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Mantle posted:

What does this do? Is it basically a super high quality MP3 / audio player?

It uses a really high end Burr Brown Digital to Audio (DAC) converter that has a VERY high sample rate and resolution of 192KHz at 48bits. For reference, CD quality sound is 44.1KHz at 16bit. Typically 192KHz/24bit is done digitally through HDMI because even TOSLINK and SPDIF can't support it with all configurations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

mayodreams posted:

It uses a really high end Burr Brown Digital to Audio (DAC) converter that has a VERY high sample rate and resolution of 192KHz at 48bits. For reference, CD quality sound is 44.1KHz at 16bit. Typically 192KHz/24bit is done digitally through HDMI because even TOSLINK and SPDIF can't support it with all configurations.

How do you find source material if CDs aren't even high enough rate/resolution?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Some artists release music in 24bit/96kHz files directly (NIN's Ghosts, for instance). There's a decent amount of SACD and DVD-Audio discs out there, with similar quality audio on them. Then there are folk who take mint condition vinyl records and record them at 24/96, in an attempt to faithfully reproduce the sound digitally. (I like those just because the mastering is usually better. And, weirdly, the vinyl edition of the Tron: Legacy soundtrack has more songs than any other edition.)

24/192 is out there, but usually harder to find. The raw bitrates tend to be insane, and hardware that can handle it is a lot rarer than hardware which can do 24/96.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The only thing you're adding above 48khz are sonic artifacts; most human ears can't hear higher than its Nyquist freq of 24kHz.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 11, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And 48 bits resolution is just idiotic. At that bit depth, you have 281,474,976,710,656 different volume levels available. Nobody's going to be able to hear the volume difference between two tones, one at 44.3478140178655% and the other at 44.3478140178659%.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

KillHour posted:

And 48 bits resolution is just idiotic. At that bit depth, you have 281,474,976,710,656 different volume levels available. Nobody's going to be able to hear the volume difference between two tones, one at 44.3478140178655% and the other at 44.3478140178659%.

MOAR BITS = BETTAR THAN!

It also means you end up with files taking up a poo poo-ton of space. I'd be interested in seeing a 24/192 song played directly to speakers, and a 16/44.1 FLAC played via mpc in a double blind test.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

MOAR BITS = BETTAR THAN!

It also means you end up with files taking up a poo poo-ton of space. I'd be interested in seeing a 24/192 song played directly to speakers, and a 16/44.1 FLAC played via mpc in a double blind test.

Considering how difficult it is to DBX a V0 MP3 from lossless 24/192 (practically impossible except for people that know what to listen for in very specific sound combinations that rarely come up in real music), I'd say it's impossible to do better than random guessing.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

KillHour posted:

Considering how difficult it is to DBX a V0 MP3 from lossless 24/192 (practically impossible except for people that know what to listen for in very specific sound combinations that rarely come up in real music), I'd say it's impossible to do better than random guessing.

About the only reason I can think of to use samples that high is if you're using the sound file as a sample in a multi-track recording of some sort, where you plan on mangling the hell out of it via plugins and can use the extra info as headroom between 'unchanged from the original material' and 'fax of a fax of a fax of an email of a picture of a cat'.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

About the only reason I can think of to use samples that high is if you're using the sound file as a sample in a multi-track recording of some sort, where you plan on mangling the hell out of it via plugins and can use the extra info as headroom between 'unchanged from the original material' and 'fax of a fax of a fax of an email of a picture of a cat'.

Or for recording dolphins.

I think there's another thread somewhere laying into 'audiophiles'. There are people out there who will literally pay hundreds of dollars for magic crystals that make their 10k amplifier sound better. At least sample rate and bit depth might prevent the loss of some barely audible harmonics for those who have very good ears (or dogs).

I always thought it would really interesting to record some everyday sound at ridiculous sample rates and slow then down to uncover harmonics we can't normally hear. Sort of like a high speed camera for audio.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 28, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My RPi A+ arrived today! Holy crap it is tiny! If you wedge it in diagonally it will sort of fit in an Altoids tin with the lid closed (but not lay flat). For a robotics project it's very price and power competitive, not to mention size competitive!

With the additional GPIO, smaller form factor and better mounting holes the guys working on the Arduino Tre are about to be eaten for lunch.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's a US quarter, but a metric ruler. :psyduck:

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

KillHour posted:

That's a US quarter, but a metric ruler. :psyduck:

And, thus, he has presented scales that should be recognizable anywhere.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

CygnusTM posted:

And, thus, he has presented scales that should be recognizable anywhere.

Nice.

Has anybody used the Compute Module at all? I really want to see how small it is in person.

I, uh, may have designed a wiring harness for it in Altium while at work. With that done, it should be trivial to make a board with pretty much anything on it.

I'm drawing a blank, though. Currently I've got a touchscreen controller chip and connector, and I'm going to see how a lot of TFT screens interface with the Pi.

Other than that, I really want to make something cool, but I have no idea what.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

ante posted:

Has anybody used the Compute Module at all? I really want to see how small it is in person.
I'd like to have a compute module ( :argh: completionism) but I'm not paying $215 for the interface board.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You can buy them individually now through the usual channels.

And yeah, no idea why it's so expensive. The cost of components are, like, $30 maybe.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably it's intended to be a prototyping board and the actual interface part should be on whatever product you are building. The low(er) quantities being produced are reflected in the price.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

ante posted:

You can buy them individually now through the usual channels.

And yeah, no idea why it's so expensive. The cost of components are, like, $30 maybe.
Since the interface board is open-source, I actually took the time to punch their BOM into Mouser, and to buy parts for one board is ~$40. In manufacturing quantities I assume that probably drops to around $20-25 or so, depending on how much of a price break they get on some of the more expensive parts. I have no idea how much it would be to get the bare circuit board made up, because it's 6 layers and most cheap Chinese mills only handle 4 layers (and I don't care about it that much to actually ask for a quote).

Obviously, the intention isn't for consumers to be buying the interface boards (or using the compute modules in the first place), it's for corporate customers to whom paying $200 is routine. I'm just surprised no one has made a cheaper clone for Aliexpress or something.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
There are some TVs in the entrance to my work which have done nothing for about a year. The boss said can we display a powerpoint on them or something like that...

I haven't used a Pi before but I figure it would possibly be an excuse to get one via work.

How feasible would it be to display a powerpoint on a pi - as in automatic log in, auto load and loop

Can I do something similar with a PDF maybe?

Or should I just look at a cheap PC

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
http://pipresents.wordpress.com/

It's free-ish (donation appreciated), can auto-start up into your presentation, runs any combination of videos and photos, and has easy gpio access.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Another option is Screenly.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
It was easy enough to install Libre Office and put a command that opens the .ppt on boot - but the display keeps turning off after a while. I assume power saving but I've not found the magic that stops it yet :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's a TV and not a professional display then it will have a "turn off after this many hours of the remote not being touched" setting. Turn that off.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

angry armadillo posted:

It was easy enough to install Libre Office and put a command that opens the .ppt on boot - but the display keeps turning off after a while. I assume power saving but I've not found the magic that stops it yet :(

Edit /etc/rc.local as root

Add the following:
code:
setterm -blank 0
before the 'exit 0' line.

Reboot.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

If it's a TV and not a professional display then it will have a "turn off after this many hours of the remote not being touched" setting. Turn that off.
We're talking 15 mins or so

beuges posted:

Edit /etc/rc.local as root

Add the following:
code:
setterm -blank 0
before the 'exit 0' line.

Reboot.
I will give it a go- thanks :D

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Ok I have an annoying problem. Piface CAD that I've turned into an internet radio using some instructions I've found online. Works great! I've written a listen script in python which also works great for turning the radio (really just the display) on. But when I turn the radio on, it takes a number if button clicks on the CAD before anything registers such as changing the channel. 'Turning the radio on' script uses the same button for 'turning the radio off', but they're two different scripts. Any thoughts on why this would happen?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Im beginning to get quite frustrated with Raspbian. It's a continuous battle dealing with out of date packages or stuff that just isn't in the repositories.

Does anyone have any experience with Arch Linux on the Raspberry Pi? I use that on my desktop and I've honestly never had problems compared to my Debian adventures.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

YouTuber posted:

Im beginning to get quite frustrated with Raspbian. It's a continuous battle dealing with out of date packages or stuff that just isn't in the repositories.

Does anyone have any experience with Arch Linux on the Raspberry Pi? I use that on my desktop and I've honestly never had problems compared to my Debian adventures.

There was a prebuilt arch image but they took it down because it went against the "arch way" of doing everything from the ground up and lack of support from the raspberry pi foundation. You'll have to do it all from scratch or find an old image.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

floor is lava posted:

There was a prebuilt arch image but they took it down because it went against the "arch way" of doing everything from the ground up and lack of support from the raspberry pi foundation. You'll have to do it all from scratch or find an old image.

Archlinux.org posted:

Arch Linux, a lightweight and flexible Linux® distribution that tries to Keep It Simple.

Yeah gently caress you, arch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress! I get why the Arch crowd hates the Arch Linux ARM / NOOBS install. When you do the normal install you know exactly what each thing is set to, even if you gently caress it up. With the Arch Linux ARM build you don't know what the gently caress is going on. I think I sorted it all out but it took way longer than a normal Arch would have.