Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I don't get why Freedoom doesn't just ask to use DTWID/D2TWID for maps. Good, solid, vanilla-compatible maps using nothing but stock textures and following the original game's design sensibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Dominic White posted:

Looks like a lot of stuff is getting polished up and rolled out for the Cacowards. Going Down was finalized and put up on the Doomworld archive just the other day, and Adventures of Square v1.0 was released this morning, now with native openGL support.

Word is that The Golden Souls is just wrapping up, adding a bunch of new side-levels (and a few contributor made ones, too) - it should be out in time for the Cacowards, too.

Not been too bad a year for Doom, huh? Quality over quantity so far.
I remember playing the demo for Going Down. It was absolutely brutal. Not sure if the full version would be my cup of tea. Square is awesome, though it gets surprisingly tough in the later maps. Still very well done stuff.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Grimthwacker posted:

I remember playing the demo for Going Down. It was absolutely brutal. Not sure if the full version would be my cup of tea.

Difficulty levels exist! At least one of the people giving mouldy feedback on DW was playing on HNTR. Plenty of others played on HMP.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

horse mans posted:

I'm nearly finished my Hellbound playthrough with DoomRPG+DoomRL. Gonna export my character from there and bring it in to Alien Vendetta or Memento Mori. Although a lot of the E*M* callbacks in Hellbound is making me want to play this character through doom2.wad.

I've fired up Scythe and played the first few maps and I'm really enjoying it.

quote:

EDIT: While there's another DoomRPG+DoomRL player in the thread, how the hell do you remove nanofiber skin armor?

You don't, it bonds permanently to you when you put it on. The description tells you this.

quote:

Also, are you using shields and augs at all? I have a whole bunch of random parts but I've never bothered with either of those systems.

No, but I'm only like 8 levels in, I haven't even seen any shield or aug parts.

Gimnbo posted:

Also, no one should use RL+RPG with any expectation of balance. You inevitably become an invulnerable juggernaut unless the WAD is split into episodes.

I kind of feel like it would work better if the enemies scaled up along with you a la War of Attrition for Duke3d.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There's an option to make them scale with you, but I think the default is weighted more for map number.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I don't get why Freedoom doesn't just ask to use DTWID/D2TWID for maps. Good, solid, vanilla-compatible maps using nothing but stock textures and following the original game's design sensibilities.

Because freedoom textures and sprites are loving garbage and make the maps look awful.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

SwissCM posted:

Because freedoom textures and sprites are loving garbage and make the maps look awful.

and spending all their time making maps isn't helping that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Freedoom's sprites are getting better though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Keiya posted:

and spending all their time making maps isn't helping that.

Sadly, sprite artists and mappers aren't the same people. There are tons of people who like making good doom maps, but the people who are good at spriting are far rarer and like getting paid for heaps of work. It's also really hard to get sprites from 26 different people and pull off an art style.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SavageMessiah posted:

Difficulty levels exist! At least one of the people giving mouldy feedback on DW was playing on HNTR. Plenty of others played on HMP.

Something that really needs to be repeated is that a lot of WADs being made these days are balanced for modern Doom players, so Normal is a challenge, Easy is slightly reduced and Hard (UV) is exactly that. We're far past the days when UV was the only difficulty worth playing.

A good rule of thumb is to start on Normal difficulty and increase/decrease to taste.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Start on UV and slam your face into that brick wall until it eventually breaks. :black101:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Something that really needs to be repeated is that a lot of WADs being made these days are balanced for modern Doom players, so Normal is a challenge, Easy is slightly reduced and Hard (UV) is exactly that. We're far past the days when UV was the only difficulty worth playing.

A good rule of thumb is to start on Normal difficulty and increase/decrease to taste.

There's a larger trend of people maxing out the difficulty on every game they play and then whining about how difficult it is.

Some people need to realize that lowering the difficulty doesn't count as sustaining a critical hit to your nerd pride.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'm bad enough at Doom that I just play most wads on HMP or lower. I don't think I've even played the original two games on UV.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

There's a larger trend of people maxing out the difficulty on every game they play and then whining about how difficult it is.

Some people need to realize that lowering the difficulty doesn't count as sustaining a critical hit to your nerd pride.

I'll sometimes play some of the more extensively tested .wads on lower difficulties but honestly, I'm not surprised that the general consensus of players towards playing maps is to play on UV. I'm not going to play something on Hurt me Plenty if the only balancing done was the last-minute thought to remove one or two monsters from every cluster of enemies or to turn some of the Hell Knights into Demons or whatever. You can do some cool stuff with difficulty settings, even going as far as having keys, weapons and teleport points only appear on specific difficulty settings, but I can't think of any examples of it in use (except maybe Map 14 of TNT: Evilution? Even then it's only a multiplayer use of weird thing placement in that example.)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The first thing that comes to mind is the blue key on Map06, which is in one of three places depending on the skill level.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 9, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The sequence "enter enter up enter" was part of my muscle memory back in the nineties. Now it depends on the maps, if they're recent and meant to be challenging or slaughterish, I'll start in HMP instead.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Don't want to sound like a horrible nerd, but imo Doom and Doom 2 really shine when played on UV, all those crowd-controlling strategies and weapon quirks can be used in a visible way, the BFG becomes a great weapon for herds of demons and not only being pulled when Cyberdemon appears. The original triad of episodes in Doom 1 isn't even that hard on UV, it's stricter with ammo in places, but if you take some time exploring the maps and looking for secrets you'll be fine.

But most of the pwads and megawads I also play on hmp, and Plutonia I've completed on even lower difficulty level some years ago. Too bad barely anyone adjust maps to the skill levels.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Today, I've been trying out...

(That says PRODOOMER, allegedly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac1zRAgDuAs

300 megabytes of Doom mod, by a guy with a pseudo-OC Silver The Hedgehog avatar and English clearly as his second language.

And y'know what? I'm kinda enjoying it. It's an amazing clusterfuck of pilfered content. Megaman X4 menu sounds with Unreal menu text. Borderlands style damage floaters and target health bars. Call of Duty's levelling system, which also increases your health and mana (oh yeah, there's a spellcasting system with 30 spells) caps and lets you buy bigger weapons upgrades and summons (one of which is an enormous blob of 50 marines).

Between levels, you go to the town from Phantasy Star Online and buy stuff from shops and can browse the bestiary of ~150 monster types. Every single weapon has an altfire as part of a ten-tier upgrade path. It seems to be a full length campaign, split across 5 episodes. Episode 1 alone seems to have 8 maps.

The logo for the mod itself is a microcosm of everything it stands for. Big chunky high-res impact font with metallic spikes, drowned in so many glowing lightning and fire effects that it's almost impossible to read. There's so many things I could nitpick about almost every aspect of this mod, but I won't, because not only would that take all day, but I'm also having fun with it. It's held together with a childlike enthusiasm. This feels like a mod made by someone who realized that they really can do just about anything with Doom, and ran with it.

And that's kinda grand. Not everything has to be Back To Saturn X.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 9, 2014

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

This is the best use of UT soundtracks since the original. It's like the apex of those "throw everything" mods like Psychophobia and Resurrection of Doom 2.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Geight posted:

Start on UV and slam your face into that brick wall until it eventually breaks. :black101:

This guy gets it. Though I also use Brutal Doom :getin:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Geight posted:

What if I don't want to break my face :ohdear:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Convex posted:

What if I don't want to break my face :ohdear:

No, the wall breaks, your face is just a little bloody.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

laserghost posted:

This is the best use of UT soundtracks since the original. It's like the apex of those "throw everything" mods like Psychophobia and Resurrection of Doom 2.

Yeah, it feels more coherent and structured than either of those two. There's so many ridiculous elements mashed into this mod, but it kinda holds itself together. The first level is a really poor intro though - lots of walking across a big open forest/hilly area with scattered monsters, and if you don't use your fists, you can run out of ammo.

It all picks up after you get your first spell and upgrades.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 9, 2014

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

an_mutt posted:

I'll sometimes play some of the more extensively tested .wads on lower difficulties but honestly, I'm not surprised that the general consensus of players towards playing maps is to play on UV. I'm not going to play something on Hurt me Plenty if the only balancing done was the last-minute thought to remove one or two monsters from every cluster of enemies or to turn some of the Hell Knights into Demons or whatever. You can do some cool stuff with difficulty settings, even going as far as having keys, weapons and teleport points only appear on specific difficulty settings, but I can't think of any examples of it in use (except maybe Map 14 of TNT: Evilution? Even then it's only a multiplayer use of weird thing placement in that example.)

Going Down changes weapons/powerups on lower difficulty levels as well as monster setup.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Dominic White posted:

I want to send this back to 1998 so twelve year old me could be obsessed with it. This is the exact mod I was always hoping to find browsing FTPs as a kid.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dominic White posted:

1. Is that Razorback from UT99?
2. '99 was 15 years ago, why do I remember the song name?! :cripes:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is it more or less Doom than Grezzo II?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It's not even similar to Grezzo 2, because it is actually pretty straight-forward and works fluidly. The closest thing it reminds me is WGRealms 2, that standalone megamod for Duke3D, with it's spells and new weapons and mix of assets from various games. But it doesn't have (at least until 4th level) terrible puzzles, and you can visit shops after each completed map. Most of those 300 megabytes is probably the music (the selection is... interesting, but fitting) and sounds (Doom 3 monster grunts, some stuff from Diablo I think, and the jumping sound is definitely taken from Captain Claw).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, it's surprisingly coherent for a mod that includes everything and the kitchen sink. The level design is a really interestingly mixed bag. Sometimes it's super bland and meandering (Level 1), and sometimes it's just downright bizarre, like the level where you're navigating moss-bridges and treehouses over an ocean of lava. And then there's some levels that are really surprisingly detailed, showing that the modder actually has a pretty good handle on the tools, especially in terms of complex sloped geometry and room-over-room 3D spaces.

A whole campaign built around the concept of 'Why not?', pretty much. A lot of the levels wouldn't even make sense in a 16-bit platformer, but they're there, and pretty well constructed, too. Some rooms look basic enough to be in Doom 1, wheras other areas are Tormentor667-esque detail overload.

Also, the Sandbag spell is kinda brilliant. You summon three piles of magical sandbags that, in addition to being shootable-through and having 700hp, also aggro monsters by throwing MORE sandbags, doing minimal damage but drawing more fire. So weird.

The balance is downright bizarre, too. Once you get the Armor spell, you can basically grow an extra 100hp health-bar every thirty seconds. Effectively a regenerating shield, rather than Doom style armor. The thing is that some enemies can tear through that in a fraction of a second, so you still have to be careful. You also gain an extra maximum 10hp each time you level up.

Edit: Whoa, it'll take a bit of quicksaving/loading, but that skyscrapers-at-night map was really goddamn cool. There are some dickish Gotcha traps on the rails, and that moving skyscraper/barrier thing was just weird, but there's a few moments where you feel like a superpowered ninja, crossing from roof to roof in seconds.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 10, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This guy gets it. Though I also use Brutal Doom :getin:

The only way to play it.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

laserghost posted:

It's not even similar to Grezzo 2, because it is actually pretty straight-forward and works fluidly. The closest thing it reminds me is WGRealms 2, that standalone megamod for Duke3D, with it's spells and new weapons and mix of assets from various games. But it doesn't have (at least until 4th level) terrible puzzles, and you can visit shops after each completed map. Most of those 300 megabytes is probably the music (the selection is... interesting, but fitting) and sounds (Doom 3 monster grunts, some stuff from Diablo I think, and the jumping sound is definitely taken from Captain Claw).

The puzzles were what frustrated me most about Prodoomer. After a certain point, I just couldn't figure them out, even when I was cheating.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
One thing I just noticed finishing up Hellhound in DoomRPG+DoomRL is that I got to the enemy gallery, there were separate sections for the regular monsters, 'nightmare' monsters, 'cyber' monsters, and then I saw a whole bunch of monster names flash by really quickly with no sprites or animations, and then it came back around to the regular monsters. Is this some kind of configuration issue with my WAD load out? Or is it some hack for uniques? Or does it just not show me monsters I didn't encounter?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They're fake monster entries that have names of some of the people who worked on the spriting, I think. It skips them so fast because they don't have any animations/timings, so it flips through walking, attack, death super fast.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tippis posted:

2. '99 was 15 years ago, why do I remember the song name?! :cripes:

Because all the songs had names like "Skyward Fire" and "Foregone Destruction" and "Mechanism Eight" and "SuperFist" :madmax:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

laserghost posted:

I still insist Aeons of Death was better than Borderlands 2. :colbert:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

JackMackerel posted:

Correct opinion.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

Aeons of Death is great, but something being better than Borderlands 2 isn't an accomplishment.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Aeons of Death? Didn't that win like worst mod of the year or some poo poo? :smug:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AoD is nearly as good as Brutal Doom for trolling Doom nerdlingers with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Obviously what we need is Brütäl Æöns of Brütäl Dëäth, and I'm disappointed in the Doom community that it does not already exist.