Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My Lovely Horse posted:

Someone explain something about Mandrake to me. Do they make a bare-bones first dialogue draft that sets what notes the dialogues has to hit, and just never go beyond that point?
At that point in history they're being written by an 84 year-old man who has unquestioned complete creative control having invented and written the characters for the previous 61 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Aardmania posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Well that's an awkward posture.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Darthemed posted:

And the Julius is pronounced 'yoo-lius', right?

Yes. Julius Caesar pre-dates the letter 'J' by ~1500 years, before that 'J' was just an 'I'. The Spanish name 'Julio' is derived from 'Julius' and much closer in pronunciation than the English version. When Europe started trying to figure out how to use J people started just jamming it into Latin loanwords and names (junta, Julio) while English specifically forgot what they were doing and started attaching it to the 'dg' sound so you got words like 'jest' and 'adjoin' while occasionally J made it through with the original 'i' sound for words like 'fjord' and 'Hallelujah' when they were rendered in the Latin alphabet.

Language is weird, interesting, and confusing.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Now this is surprising. 'Chickweed' is usually known for being the biggest dud on the comics page.

So, they're all dead, right? That's the only explanation for climbing out of ground zero of an artillery strike with nary a smudge on their clothing. They're dead, we can stop now. Hooray! Yay!!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life[/b]

Haha yeah, like, "Star Trek"?? Whaaat?? Who even knows what that is??

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 11-12, 1926)

This on the other hand is great :)

plainswalker75 posted:

Are they going to get turned into furries again?

It's only happened once, it's just that Jane's World is caught in a time loop. That long ago edit combining Jane's World with "Shrapnel" just keeps getting more and more relevant.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Best expressions ever.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo, in which Owl tries to give progress a quick boot up the backside. (November 12, 1956)

Peanuts: Year Two (October 11-13, 1951)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

This is so stupid, but now I can no longer say "I've never laughed at a Peanuts strip."

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Say Nothing posted:

Best expressions ever.

I'm partial to

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Deep Dark Fears

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm honestly amazed that Gilchrist didn't draw a sightline so we could see exactly what Sluggo was shocked by.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

The continued posting of Intelligent Life has been worth it if only because this strip spawned this thing:

bubble wrap

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

So rain never changes direction over the course of a single day. Just when you think this strip can't get any dumber, it goes and implies that aliens are real.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Colds are bad and the only people I ever see dress like that this time of year are girl bands doing outdoor performances. And I wish they wouldn't because just looking at them makes me feel chilly.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Good old Julio Cesar.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

:wtf:?

oh, I get it. Didn't the strip place them somewhere near Sedona, Arizona a while back? That place is known for having energy vortexes on the mountains and healing energy everywhere and vibrations and other such hippy junk

there's probably no point in trying to explain Jane's World though so :shrug:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

Colds are bad and the only people I ever see dress like that this time of year are girl bands doing outdoor performances. And I wish they wouldn't because just looking at them makes me feel chilly.

This comic is wonderful , and the ending of the strip is fantastic.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Some Guy TT posted:

So rain never changes direction over the course of a single day. Just when you think this strip can't get any dumber, it goes and implies that aliens are real.

This is a great dad joke.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

"He's got brass. Now search him for steel." :allears:

drat, that's one hell of a good line. Almost makes me forget the whole planting evidence and snake amnesia plots.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

He's right. That does sound like something I would do. :ohdear:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

I should probably take that given that this and Thunderdome are the only threads I post in anymore. Maybe later when I'm feeling less lazy.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Professional stand up comedian Steve Kelley folks.

Safe Havens

It's also not blue anymore.

Why didn't she just dump one of her magic science potions on it and turn it into a kangaroo or something?

On the Fastrack

Isn't she the CEO?

Get a car charger and a portable battery pack. And a phone with a longer battery life.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

It's a lucky thing for Martine that she is the same dress size as the German officer.

Pibgorn

If it were Brooke's production, all eyes would be fixed on the exits.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Do people actually call tooltips "hover explain", or is that just something Piccolo made up?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Sometimes I look too closely at Tina's Groove and get depressed about the futility of life.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

Do people actually call tooltips "hover explain", or is that just something Piccolo made up?

Probably a few people, but not many.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NOT TED!!! Now Sally is going to have to find a new best friend AND a new husband.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (September 6, 1927)

Peanuts, in which Charlie Brown deserves it for once. (November 14, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

He's going to try and poach you, Bull. Because nobody in the Funkyverse gets ahead without twisting the knife on somebody else downstream.

Popeye

Rip Haywire, in which the plot kicks in again. Big time.

Out Our Way (January 13-14, 1926)

Mrs. J.H. Oppelt? Not a clue. Anybody?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Probably just his teacher when he was about that age.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

A BoI:Rebirth Cartoon.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 13-14, 1926)

:confused:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The boy has a string tied to his toe which can be pulled by other boys to wake him up early so can sneak out. Presumably he has been grounded.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

The boy has a string tied around his toe and trailing out the window so that his friends may wake him up in the middle of the night (without the noise caused by e.g. pebbles against the window, which could alert others in the house) to go play in a probably somewhat dangerous manner, likely involving the outfit and armaments piled near the bed. His mother, who has become aware of this arrangement, is concerned about his safety and wishes to ensure that he gets a good night's sleep; she is therefore about to cut the string in order to disrupt the plans outlined above. She is "holding her own" in that she is retaining her (own) child within the house, but also in that she is putting up a solid defense against the boy's clever attempts to sneak out at night.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 11, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac That is a fine doodad.

Poptropica Poor impulse control.webm

Heathcliff looks better on the football anyway.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
The "sneaking out theory" is what I figured also. What was throwing me initially was that I couldn't tell if it was a kid, or an adult though. If adult, what would be the motive?

Welp, Jane's World gets paraphysical today thanks to those whack-rear end energy vortices, or whatever...

Non Sequitur

You know you're fat when you can collapse a barstool.

Heavenly Nostrils is current again. At least for today.

A unicorn spa in Canada? This'll be good. And "Unfortunate Nostrils"? Poor Florence. :v:

Kliban's Cats

This needs to be real. I would so wear that t-shirt.

9 Chickweed Lane 11/11/2003

This must be pre-computer-keyboard, or pre-CRT times.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

You guys sure are speaking whimsically about the creatures you will eventually kill, and eat. You should be happy they're fattening themselves.

So.. So you don't know Nemi? :confused:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set supports animal rights.

Working Daze tritely celebrates the holiday.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
So for Monday and Tuesday, 9 Chickweed's strips have had absolutely nothing to do with the storyline. Dare we hope?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Kammat posted:

So for Monday and Tuesday, 9 Chickweed's strips have had absolutely nothing to do with the storyline. Dare we hope?

Yeah, I think those are old strips. Maybe McEldowney's "futility of war" speeches in the preceding ones were too much for editors to take in the runup to Veterans' Day.

Or, could be that the total laziness of the last umpty-ump strips just means he's trying to run out the clock on his contract with as little effort as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone actually know why this 9CL storyline has been going on for over a loving year? Is he that enamored with whatever the hell's going on there?

• Locked thread