Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
This is absolutely loving pointless and offers no reason whatsoever.

I love this :allears:

Endorph posted:

uhm shes just a lady fox

i mean her design in adventures was dumb but her design in assault and command was pretty normal
The Japanese Starfox fanbase absolutely detest her because she's the one thing that's threatening their Fox/Falco slashfics that they've kept going on for years.

Lurdiak posted:

Did you forget the part where fox looks at her through a pink filter while sexy sax music plays? She's pretty terrible.
This also doesn't help but then gently caress Starfox Adventures overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

FinalGamer posted:

T

The Japanese Starfox fanbase absolutely detest her because she's the one thing that's threatening their Fox/Falco slashfics that they've kept going on for years.

I remember being a kid, and how Star Fox 64 memorized me as a child. It was my favorite game. ToO see this is that game's legacy, is...depressing to say the least.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FinalGamer posted:

What!?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Slippy sounds like a dead ringer for Ralph Wiggum in that video. Which makes more sense than it should, actually.

also

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nerd Fox Owns

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FinalGamer posted:

I am most surprised by my complete lack of surprise.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Countblanc posted:

Also it's hilarious to me that someone would site Real Life Competitive Sports, a thing that's INCREDIBLY insular and notoriously difficult to break into, as an example of a good and pure meritocracy, while saying that fighting games - those things you can literally go to tournaments for and meet the best players in the world and even play against them in pools - as crazy poo poo that no earnest, fun-loving mortal could comprehend.

That sure is a whole lot of stuff I didn't say.

I think that there's no excuse for modern games that want to have any sort of following to have common place, reliably reproduced glitches. Just because traditional sports are so monetized that they become insular and difficult to break into doesn't mean that Fighting Games should have unintended mechanics that don't get fixed.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Countblanc posted:

But obviously there's 4-5 smash games you can play so it's not hard to find one you like above the rest. What I'm interested in seeing is if Brawl will maintain any sort of following after Apex.

Casual players will probably go back now and then, because of Subspace Emissary.

mind the walrus posted:

And that would be a Pictochat-like stage. They need more scrolling stages. People love scrolling stages right? :v:

You can't build those in the stage editor, so it kind of makes sense.

Sire Oblivion posted:

So you think it's better for the game to have limited options in certain scenarios?

YES. By loving definition, yes. No one would play if any player could just declare that they won, limiting player options is how you give them problems to solve.

Hedrigall posted:

She appeals to straight furries

Not straight female furries. Also, I liked Starfox Adventure... but then, I knew what it was before I got it, and wasn't expecting a space shooter.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
We're never going to see something really cool like Andross making a surprise appearance and talking smack over the comm-waves because it just wouldn't be the same without his OG voice actor.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Keiya posted:

Casual players will probably go back now and then, because of Subspace Emissary.

I might go back if I really want to play Pokemon Trainer or Snake, but otherwise I've moved on. Subspace Emissary was a nice touch by giving the series a plotline for the first time and I did love the overblown opera theme, but that's all in the past now.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Misandu posted:

I think that there's no excuse for modern games that want to have any sort of following to have common place, reliably reproduced glitches. Just because traditional sports are so monetized that they become insular and difficult to break into doesn't mean that Fighting Games should have unintended mechanics that don't get fixed.

I don't mind glitches, but I don't necessarily expect them to be fixed; I'd rather have them made into the system entirely, and have them explained in tutorials.

Otherwise, we get something like GunZ, where actually playing the game as intended gets you derided as a noob.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Misandu posted:

Why? Like, if it makes a game better and is well documented by the community (which presumably you're at least tangentially familiar with if you're following or playing a game competitively, where this matters), why is it a big deal if it's unintentional or not? I guess I just don't see fixing things that make a game more enjoyable as a moral (or perhaps financial) prerogative like you seem to. Is it the word "glitch" itself that bothers you, because we can remove that if you'd like since it's just another way of saying "product of the game's airdodge physics" in this case, it's not like you're triggering a coding error. If you want to say that DACUSing in Brawl, wavedashing in melee, and I'm sure some undiscovered things in Smash 4 actively make the game worse for reasons beyond "it wasn't intentional" that's a perfectly valid argument to make and I'm more than happy to have that discussion, but if it's just that it's a thing that wasn't deliberate, well, I dunno. I guess I just don't particularly care about a designer's vision if the game is enjoyable in the end, and that isn't aimed at Sakurai or any designer in particular.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's already a ton of things that would qualify as a "glitch" in Smash 4, so might as well stop playing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

There's already a ton of things that would qualify as a "glitch" in Smash 4, so might as well stop playing.

To be fair Smash 4 is the first where the ability to patch things out is there, so certain glitches could well be removed.

Speaking of, Maple Leaf, dunno if anyone asked this earlier but can Wario still fly in the Wii U version?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Misandu posted:

Glitches in older versions of games, if they produce unexpected and game-expanding options for players who can master them, are usually incorporated as actual features in future releases.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Keiya posted:

YES. By loving definition, yes. No one would play if any player could just declare that they won, limiting player options is how you give them problems to solve.

So that's why you stopped playing Melee right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Did you forget the part where fox looks at her through a pink filter while sexy sax music plays? She's pretty terrible.
that was in adventures

shes fine in assault

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sire Oblivion posted:

So that's why you stopped playing Melee right?

They're right, limiting options is absolutely a valid thing to do within games. For example, I think class systems in RPGs are cooler than skill systems, because the latter offers too much freedom of customization and the game can't be as tightly tuned with that much freedom. But that doesn't mean literally all restrictions are good. Or that all freedoms are good! There's varying degrees, and that's why I don't think it's useful to talk about "glitches in competitive games" instead of "the specific implications of a certain mechanic in this version of a game."

Like, I guess I appreciate what you're trying to do, but you're being really confrontational like L Robot or w/e his name was and it's just sorta lovely so please stop.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

talking about melee should be loving banned in all smash bros threads holy poo poo. everyone look at these glorious new amiibos instead https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2IUdtNCIAAAnOp.png:large

DDD, the WEIGHT is over.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

that was in adventures

shes fine in assault

Isn't Assault the half-assed attempt to apologize for Adventures that Nintendo promptly forgot about and buried because it didn't sell like hotcakes?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I guess Shulk will be my second amiibo (after Wii Fit Trainer, of course).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Bowser! Sonic! Dedede! Give me Bowser Jr now!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Isn't Assault the half-assed attempt to apologize for Adventures that Nintendo promptly forgot about and buried because it didn't sell like hotcakes?
The stage they're fighting on in that video is based on Assault. Like very specifically. Scenes from Assault are in the background of that stage and everything.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

talking about melee should be loving banned in all smash bros threads holy poo poo. everyone look at these glorious new amiibos instead https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2IUdtNCIAAAnOp.png:large

DDD, the WEIGHT is over.

I sincerely hope I can teach Ike to do the "prepare yourself" taunt at the start of every match.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Looking at the bigger image, it does look like Dedede's eyes are a little too crosseyed :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Looking at the bigger image, it does look like Dedede's eyes are a little too crosseyed :(
its okay theyll be even worse on the real figure

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

The stage they're fighting on in that video is based on Assault. Like very specifically. Scenes from Assault are in the background of that stage and everything.

And aside from the fact that that implies that Krystal should be there (which she shouldn't because she's an awful fanservice character for furries), how did that address my question?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

And aside from the fact that that implies that Krystal should be there (which she shouldn't because she's an awful fanservice character for furries), how did that address my question?
if they were burying it, why would there be a stage for it in Smash?

and you spend more time thinking about jacking it to krystal than actual furries do

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nah I've just been loving with you and you're doing an admirable job of indulging me while trying to still dick me around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Nah I've just been loving with you and you're doing an admirable job of indulging me while trying to still dick me around.
huh

edit:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dance, puppets

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
gas this piece of poo poo thread

thanks

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Melee is bad because Kirby is bad in melee, but that's just me being salty because my favorite character became the worst in that game.

He sucks in every game though.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Misandu posted:

lmao you have no clue how Computer Magic works

Sometimes you do poo poo and then later on a person manages to smash his head in completely the wrong (or right spot, depending on how you look at it) and breaks everything. As it turns out when you draw the arcane runes to summon a video game into existence there can be slight breaks or flaws in reality, some of which are actually kinda cool (see: Tribes, Quake 3).

But Skiing is just a glitch and therefore Not Competitive or Fun.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

How Rude posted:

:downsrim:

Kirby is definitely fun and good now, at least.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Are amiibos worth the money?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

How Rude posted:

Melee is bad because Kirby is bad in melee, but that's just me being salty because my favorite character became the worst in that game.

It's basically hilarious how bad he is in that game, while still somehow not being at the bottom. Like, you can literally escape his throws - Not mash out of the grab, but just, like, not get thrown. Dude goes through the animation and you just sit there. Good poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nintendo please release the Game & Watch Amiibo so I can know if it's just gonna be a flat piece of plastic on a stand.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Scholtz posted:

I guess it depends on how much you value $15? Like a Shulk figure would be pretty cool to own but I'm poor and also I don't care about their functionality in-game and after the initial thrill of saying "cool, a Shulk figure!" it'd just sit on my desk so I'm probably not the demographic for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Countblanc posted:

It's basically hilarious how bad he is in that game, while still somehow not being at the bottom. Like, you can literally escape his throws - Not mash out of the grab, but just, like, not get thrown. Dude goes through the animation and you just sit there. Good poo poo.

Best part is that his forward throws and back throws in Melee send you off the edge, often without the person coming with because they loving suck and are easily broken.

Wasn't there a Project M match where a Kirby 4-0 stocked like, a Falco or something with just inhale? Man, imagining it, if Smash 4 Kirby was in Melee everything would get hosed instantly because the game is so drat heavy.

• Locked thread