Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Nice! Seattle Audubon posted a picture of it on their Facebook page today, but it wasn't as nice as those, just someone digiscoping with their iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

neckbeard posted:

Can someone with some disposable income buy this for shits and giggles

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...9ee2c2aef07en02

They're always available on eBay for around that price ($350), sometimes with a 2x teleconverter that gets you 1600mm, though only the fine print will tell you that's at f/16. Sometimes under the brand name "Phoenix", occassionally "Vivitar" (how the mighty have fallen!)

I really want one to play with, just for stupidity's sake.

HookShot posted:

A few from the last few months.

Stellar Jay
Aust/NZ 2014 by hookshot88, on Flickr
Egret of some kind?

Plover (with baby!)
I'm surprised you saw a Stellar's Jay in Australia - aren't they a North American (i.e., west coast) species? Or is there an Aussie bird with a similar name?

The Egret is a White-Faced Heron, and the Plover is a Masked Lapwing (also known as a Spur-Winged Plover). I can't find my Tasmanian Bird Guide or I'd take a crack at your Cormorant.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

They're always available on eBay for around that price ($350), sometimes with a 2x teleconverter that gets you 1600mm, though only the fine print will tell you that's at f/16. Sometimes under the brand name "Phoenix", occassionally "Vivitar" (how the mighty have fallen!)

I'm surprised you saw a Stellar's Jay in Australia - aren't they a North American (i.e., west coast) species? Or is there an Aussie bird with a similar name?

The Egret is a White-Faced Heron, and the Plover is a Masked Lapwing (also known as a Spur-Winged Plover). I can't find my Tasmanian Bird Guide or I'd take a crack at your Cormorant.

I cheated, the Stellar Jay and the Hummingbird are from my backyard (Whistler), I just didn't actually process those photos until after the trip, so they got lumped in the same album.

Thanks for the clarification on the birds I didn't know!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

ExecuDork posted:

They're dogshit. Even if you somehow magically manage to nail focus, which is impossible on something that long with MF, they suffer from terrible CA, and the barrel actually droops when fully extended.

Surprisingly, some of the mirror lenses that are badged by about 5 different companies (rokinon, vivitar, opteka etc) aren't all that bad. I got a comedy 500mm f8 and it's well built, heavy enough to offer some small degree of stability, and the focus is well enough damped to let you get pretty precise. CA isn't an issue with mirrors, so you can get some reasonable images out of them. They tend to look washed out though, which I think has something to do with the coatings. Easily fixed in post.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

It's been raining during most of the past couple weeks here, but I've had a couple chances to slip out with a camera between storms. I tried out a new trail that I recently discovered and I'm kind of excited because I found a kestrel that hunts over public lands there. The other ones I've seen in the area were at some sprawling gated community by the seaside and on a lamp post over the freeway. I'm looking forward to going back and spending more time with a longer lens.

kestrel-vole by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

There are also White-tailed Kites, Northern Harriers, Red-tailed Hawks and Red-shouldered Hawks that hunt there, but there weren't too many amazing photo ops during an early afternoon outing.

kite-look by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Wood Ducks aren't too common a sight in my area, so I haven't had a chance to observe them at length before. Small groups of them are turning up at Arcata Marsh during their migragion, and it turns out they're kind of dicks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsiviuJFxQM

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Moon Potato posted:

It's been raining during most of the past couple weeks here, but I've had a couple chances to slip out with a camera between storms. I tried out a new trail that I recently discovered and I'm kind of excited because I found a kestrel that hunts over public lands there. The other ones I've seen in the area were at some sprawling gated community by the seaside and on a lamp post over the freeway. I'm looking forward to going back and spending more time with a longer lens.

kestrel-vole by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

There are also White-tailed Kites, Northern Harriers, Red-tailed Hawks and Red-shouldered Hawks that hunt there, but there weren't too many amazing photo ops during an early afternoon outing.

kite-look by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Wood Ducks aren't too common a sight in my area, so I haven't had a chance to observe them at length before. Small groups of them are turning up at Arcata Marsh during their migragion, and it turns out they're kind of dicks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsiviuJFxQM

Huh, usually it's the coots being rear end in a top hat birds. Unless American coots are kindly and docile birds and completely unlike their Eurasian cousins.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Linedance posted:

Huh, usually it's the coots being rear end in a top hat birds. Unless American coots are kindly and docile birds and completely unlike their Eurasian cousins.

The coots in the western U.S. seem to commingle with most of the other waterfowl pretty peacefully (right now they're sharing dabbling grounds with wigeons, teals and Mallards), but they're pretty timid when a harrier, hawk or falcon makes a pass over the area. I don't know if they're conditioned by the larger raptor population we have over here or whether the Eurasian ones are larger/more aggressive but after more than a year documenting the wildlife at this marsh, I'm pretty sure the Wood Ducks are the catalyst for this combative behavior.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

5B4A9711 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
That's an incredible shot.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

StarkingBarfish posted:

That's an incredible shot.

Yeah, I'm adding that to my "shots I wish I took" list. It even feels like a fall photo.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun with common backyard species since they're so easy to find and I can choose to go out when the light is good.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah that is really beautiful, super sharp. Nice job.

I don't get any of those in my neighborhood but they show up in some neighborhoods south of me, so I clearly need to take some walks.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Not having the most exciting fall for bird photos so far.

Upside Down Goose by justincook5376, on Flickr

Herring Gull Head by justincook5376, on Flickr

Fall Goldfinch by justincook5376, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I wrote up a big thing about aggression in American Coots but decided to put it in the "Ask Us About Birding" thread rather than here, since I don't actually include any photos or talk about taking photos.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Was at a friend's place in suburban Seattle today and they've got some bird feeders out, including one on their deck that is quite popular with a number of different species.

American Goldfinch, female, winter plumage

House Finch, female

Dark-Eyed Junco

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 2, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Dark-Eyed Junco

My favorite winter bird by far.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Kenshin posted:

Some sort of finch, but I don't know the id. Help?
Female House Finch, I think.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Moon Potato posted:

that's my guess

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Moon Potato posted:

Thanks, makes sense since I saw one or two males around.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

neckbeard posted:

Can someone with some disposable income buy this for shits and giggles

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...9ee2c2aef07en02
I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Rokinon-650Z-B-650-1300mm-Super-Telephoto/dp/B0044DEEPQ/

Haven't tried to shoot birds with it (just the moon) but yeah, crazy CA and impossible to stabilize. You know a lens is good when it says "DIGITAL HD QUALITY" on the front.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Geektox posted:

I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Rokinon-650Z-B-650-1300mm-Super-Telephoto/dp/B0044DEEPQ/

Haven't tried to shoot birds with it (just the moon) but yeah, crazy CA and impossible to stabilize. You know a lens is good when it says "DIGITAL HD QUALITY" on the front.

more on the way!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Did somebody lose their geese?

Canada Goose Migration by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Fart Amplifier posted:

Did somebody lose their geese?

Canada Goose Migration by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

No, we still got way too many of those assholes up here in Canadaland.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

neckbeard posted:

Thousands. Literally thousands every evening descend on the island in the middle of the river in Saskatoon. It's pretty impressive, actually.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

neckbeard posted:

Keep them. Please.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Pine Grosbeaks are starting to arrive in my city. They didn't migrate through here at all last winter

Pine Grosbeaks by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pine Grosbeak by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A few shots from my weekend trip to the Bay Area:

snowy-fish-gasp by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

oystercatcher-mussel by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

scaup-face by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

high-8 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

snowy-plunge by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Moon Potato posted:

A few shots from my weekend trip to the Bay Area:

high-8 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I think you got some street in your bird photo.

I love it!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Sure the hawk looks cool, but it got its rear end kicked by a flock of about 70 crows a few minutes after that shot was taken.

Edit: another snowy from Lake Merritt

snowy-grab by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And the Western Grebes have returned to Humboldt Bay for the winter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xchg8tqSHj4

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 4, 2014

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm selling a practically new Canon 400mm f/5.6 in the buy-sell thread.

one of the sample images I shot this morning:

Canon 400mm test 1896 on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The bulrushes are withering away and the recent rains are bringing out tasty frogs and worms, so the bitterns are starting to hunt in the open again. I didn't notice this one until I got close enough to spook it, though.

bittern-shadow by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Eared Grebe

eared-grebe by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Red-winged Blackbird

rwbb-pose by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

More hawks n power poles

rsh-takeoff by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And Brown Pelicans

pelican-diving by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

pelican-and-grebe by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 8, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
We're having a beautiful, sunny morning today in Seattle, so I took a walk around my neighborhood (Fremont).

♂ Anna's Hummingbird
The crazy thing about this picture is that the light was bad so it's at ISO 3200 and 1/160s exposure... at 400mm. I could not believe it came out so sharp and didn't require much massaging in Lightroom to get it looking great.

♂ House Sparrow
Lots of small flocks of these jumping around and foraging off the ground.

♂ House Finch
Big flocks of house finches, fattening themselves up for the winter. This male was missing an eye (yes, there is a functioning eye on the other side of his head) but didn't seem to be having any problems. Not my best picture of a house finch this morning but certainly the most interesting one.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBS1NPdQKdg

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

We're having a beautiful, sunny morning today in Seattle, so I took a walk around my neighborhood (Fremont).

♂ Anna's Hummingbird
The crazy thing about this picture is that the light was bad so it's at ISO 3200 and 1/160s exposure... at 400mm. I could not believe it came out so sharp and didn't require much massaging in Lightroom to get it looking great.

Beautiful!

quote:

♂ House Finch
Big flocks of house finches, fattening themselves up for the winter. This male was missing an eye (yes, there is a functioning eye on the other side of his head) but didn't seem to be having any problems. Not my best picture of a house finch this morning but certainly the most interesting one.

I'm going to guess this is avian conjunctivitis or some similar infection. Not uncommon in house finches. There's probably an eye under there, it's just scabbed over. This is why it's good to clean out your bird feeders every so often.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Kenshin posted:

♂ Anna's Hummingbird
Nice Anna's. The males have started doing their displays in my area. I set up my camera to record one today, but by the time I set up the microphone to record its calling, it moved to a different bush. After that, I spent most of the rest of the day stalking grebes.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

lil burds

_DSC0079 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

_DSC0016 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Weather is finally cooperating for bird photography.

I found two snow bunting in two different habitats. One on a beach foraging in the sand, and one in a large open field more inland foraging in the mud. Both of them behaved very similar and didn't mind my presence that much unless I got right up on it. They would just slowly walk away unless I caught up too fast then they just flew behind me back into their foraging spot. I thought I would have to venture to the cape to find these guys but I got lucky.

Snow Bunting by justincook5376, on Flickr

Snow Bunting by justincook5376, on Flickr

I typically see more of the white breasted variety around here, but here is a red breasted nuthatch playing peekaboo

Red Breasted Nuthatch by justincook5376, on Flickr

Keep this (oh so yummy) face in your thoughts in the next couple weeks.

Turkey Head by justincook5376, on Flickr

Finally a pair of American Widgeons

American Widgeon Pair by justincook5376, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Oh neat, a bird photography thread. I find going on the hunt for good pictures and unusual birds is really fun and rewarding. I've been doing it for about a year now, casually, with cheap gear.

Here's a few of my better shots. These were all taken on a pawn shop 450D with a 55-250 4/5.6 EF-S from Target (open box discount!).

Green Heron 1 by a photographing turtle, on Flickr

Red-shouldered Hawk 1 by a photographing turtle, on Flickr

Great Blue Heron 1 by a photographing turtle, on Flickr

Some of the stuff in this thread is pretty mind-blowing. I really need a better lens. My dilemma right now is that I was recently given a 5D mk ii as partial payment for some unrelated work, and as much as I like it, I guess it's not really the best solution for long-range wildlife photography. Now to decide if I need to sell off all my gear and try to get a 7D + ~400mm lens. I like landscape photography a lot, too, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Oh neat, a bird photography thread. I find going on the hunt for good pictures and unusual birds is really fun and rewarding. I've been doing it for about a year now, casually, with cheap gear.

Here's a few of my better shots. These were all taken on a pawn shop 450D with a 55-250 4/5.6 EF-S from Target (open box discount!).

Green Heron 1 by a photographing turtle, on Flickr

Red-shouldered Hawk 1 by a photographing turtle, on Flickr

Great Blue Heron 1 by a photographing turtle, on Flickr

Some of the stuff in this thread is pretty mind-blowing. I really need a better lens. My dilemma right now is that I was recently given a 5D mk ii as partial payment for some unrelated work, and as much as I like it, I guess it's not really the best solution for long-range wildlife photography. Now to decide if I need to sell off all my gear and try to get a 7D + ~400mm lens. I like landscape photography a lot, too, though.

Nice shots! If you're going to shell out for a 400mm lens, it might be worthwhile to get a Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm instead (which sell for around the same price as the cheapest 400mm lenses) and keep the full frame body. You'll get about the same reach as 400mm on a crop sensor and get better high ISO performance and sharpness. Most of what I've posted on here has been with a similar setup (D800 plus Sigma 120-300 with 2X teleconverter), and that's been working out pretty well for me.

I just found out yesterday that my Osprey shot from this summer is featured in the current issue of Outdoor California Magazine. Apparently they didn't notify me or my spam filter ate the notification, so I ended up getting the news from local birders.
osprey-trout by Redwood Planet, on Flickr