Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Reason posted:

I just wish there was a mod that let me build a village with villagers in the buildings I make. I collect normal villagers with safari nets, but they always die/disappear.

If you have Extra Utilities, use a golden lasso to transplant villagers from a generated village to a built one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I'm totally convinced it's impossible to build a villager settlement that doesn't look like a concentration camp.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

AceClown posted:

I'm totally convinced it's impossible to build a villager settlement that doesn't look like a concentration camp.

I thought everyone did this by design? I even put up iron bar fences and an iron door to restrict access.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

AceClown posted:

You could make it look like a castle!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or you could make a barracks for one villager to hang out in and a glory hole underneath with two to make infinite babies. :v:

I mean, they're destined to be smelted for emeralds.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Before I jump back into it, is this the most up to date TerraFirmaCraft on Technic? I just want to make sure I'm starting in the right place.

Also, I know this question comes up every few weeks, but what are the top modpacks these days? I see Yogscast Complete coming up a lot but from what I can tell that's still on MC 1.6.4, and looks to be just a mash of everything and the kitchen sink. What else is popular, and ideally up to date?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Before I jump back into it, is this the most up to date TerraFirmaCraft on Technic? I just want to make sure I'm starting in the right place.

Yeah, that is running the latest version of TFC.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CrazyTolradi posted:

I checked out Millenaire when it's 1.7.10 release came out. It was buggy, caused major tick lag and clearly not in a finished state. If I remember correctly, villages would either never build anything at all or would expand somewhat, then just bug out and not work properly after. Might have a newer version out but I don't have high hopes for it.

EDIT: unrelated to Millenaire, but I started a new map out and I've been running Opis to check exactly what is horrible and to eliminate on my server and I have to say, Big Reactors is just amazing. Barely any lag from it, as opposed to Extra Utils furnaces which are horrible and cancer. Buildcraft, Railcraft and Forestry TE timings are horrible, even when idle.

Wait. Extra Utilities doesn't have furnaces. Do you mean the generators? How laggy are they, if so?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Wait. Extra Utilities doesn't have furnaces. Do you mean the generators? How laggy are they, if so?

My bad, furnace generators is what I meant.

Even when not burning fuel/producing power (so idling and doing nothing) they were taking anything from 10-15 microseconds on mean average, each. About the same level of lag most Railcraft machines produce even when idle.

EDIT: This isn't to say that all Extra Utils generators are like this, I only ever use the Furnace Generators early game until I set up a reactor.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 11, 2014

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Really, what I think would be neat is an addon for Big Reactors that makes a big multiblock structure that is substantially cheaper to make than a reactor, but runs off of coal/charcoal and is way less efficient. An early device you can build for scale-able power gen that is kind to servers.

That is what I feel is missing from most mods, stuff you can make early on without having to mine for a few hours. It's why I always loved T-con, you can get started on that poo poo after punching a single tree down.

edit: Or maybe just coal so you cannot feed it with a charcoal farm, I dunno.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 11, 2014

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

axelsoar posted:

Really, what I think would be neat is an addon for Big Reactors that makes a big multiblock structure that is substantially cheaper to make than a reactor, but runs off of coal/charcoal and is way less efficient. An early device you can build for scale-able power gen that is kind to servers.

That is what I feel is missing from most mods, stuff you can make early on without having to mine for a few hours. It's why I always loved T-con, you can get started on that poo poo after punching a single tree down.

edit: Or maybe just coal so you cannot feed it with a charcoal farm, I dunno.

So like an Advanced Generator, just running on burnable fuel instead of liquid fuel? Seems reasonable to me. It'd make coal/charcoal more relevant than just short term furnace fuel.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

CrazyTolradi posted:

So like an Advanced Generator, just running on burnable fuel instead of liquid fuel? Seems reasonable to me. It'd make coal/charcoal more relevant than just short term furnace fuel.

What is an Advanced Generator?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Vib Rib posted:

Also, I know this question comes up every few weeks, but what are the top modpacks these days? I see Yogscast Complete coming up a lot but from what I can tell that's still on MC 1.6.4, and looks to be just a mash of everything and the kitchen sink. What else is popular, and ideally up to date?

There don't really seem to be a lot of solid mod packs based on 1.7.10 yet, though some are in early testing now. The main ones I know of are our own mechaet's Modderation, the DNS Techpack (on ATLauncher), and the just-released Crack Pack (also on ATL).

I don't know much about DNS. Crack Pack currently has more mods than Modderation and is a bit more up-to-date, and seems to be focused more on exploration (e.g., more biome and creature mods), but I think I still prefer Modderation for now since it has a handful of mods I've come to rely on in my current game (ExtraCells, Mekanism, the Warp Book, no Metallurgy) that CrackPack doesn't have.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

axelsoar posted:

What is an Advanced Generator?

Bdew's Advanced Generators mod, multiblock generators that use liquid fuels (i.e BC fuel, Forestry biofuel, etc) to generator power: http://bdew.net/generators/

Can produce RF, EU (lol) and MJ (hahahahaha).

EDIT: To be honest, I've never bothered with them because I pretty much go straight from Furnace Generator to Big Reactor. After that, there's not a lot else to go to.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 11, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone doing an awesome modded LP with 1.7.10?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
After Big Reactors that thing looks so bad. Just a big grey cube with some dots on it. No windows to see the fuel cores between the destabilized redstone? No giant spinning turbines?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

After Big Reactors every thing looks so bad.

Fixed that for you.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

CrazyTolradi posted:

Can produce RF, EU (lol) and MJ (hahahahaha).

IC2 is pretty well eclipsed by TE and Redstone Arsenal (with a few things covered by MFR), but I think there's one or two things that BC does that haven't been replicated by other mods. A couple things offhand I think it still has sole claim to are a fluid pump that doesn't need to be placed directly on top of the fluid being pumped and the floodgate, which puts fluid source blocks back into the world.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

IC2 is pretty well eclipsed by TE and Redstone Arsenal (with a few things covered by MFR), but I think there's one or two things that BC does that haven't been replicated by other mods. A couple things offhand I think it still has sole claim to are a fluid pump that doesn't need to be placed directly on top of the fluid being pumped and the floodgate, which puts fluid source blocks back into the world.

I think there's a Mekanism block that does what the floodgate does, but I may be wrong. You're right about the pump though, and I'm not sure if there's another mod that does something like the Filler/Builder. But since BC, Railcraft and Forestry have all moved to RF now, making MJ is useless.

You're right about IC2 though, there's nothing it does that isn't done as well as or better by another mod. The steam/heat mechanic they've introduced is poorly implemented, hardly documented and not even close to anything any other mod offers, not to mention that IC2 steam is a special snowflake that's different to every other steam and not cross-mod compatible.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 11, 2014

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Here's the test lab for the OC reactor control program I'm writing.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Danny Glands posted:

Here's the test lab for the OC reactor control program I'm writing.

Is this for 1.7.10 and latest OC? Because I really need a good control program. I don't know if the good CC one was updated to 1.7.10?

ffguy
Apr 14, 2007
I'm a gopher.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Is this for 1.7.10 and latest OC? Because I really need a good control program. I don't know if the good CC one was updated to 1.7.10?

Because of how BR efficiency works it's easy to make a stupid-simple control program that runs the reactor when you have storage space and shuts it down when you don't while maintaining very high efficiency. That part can be knocked up in no time. The thing that takes time and effort are the fancy visualization options that people seem to love.

I know reactors don't explode yet but has beef said how that would work? So long as we're talking about desirable options I think future-proofing for that would be a good idea.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

axelsoar posted:

Fun fact, this stuff was actually originally in my plans. I wrote the initial designs for BR while spending a day derping around in the enormous Mining wing of the Vienna Technological Museum. (Which is awesome and any nerd interested in real technology should go see.) I had ideas for simulating flue gases and so on, which you could use to make steam or directly heat puddling beds, which you'd have to rake to make iron.

Thing is, a lot of that stuff is cooler to think about than to play. It's very difficult to present a physical model in a way comprehensible to the average player, and it's even harder to make them fun to experiment with, and it's triply hard to do dynamic physical models in a way that won't eat 10ms every server tick. Also, I think it's a bit more important to finish the core mechanics and then add things directly supporting them, like a multiblock molten-salt-style battery with good computer/redstone interfaces.

That said, I do want to introduce a "yellorium dynamo"-type block to bridge the gap between regular TE dynamos and Babby's First Reactor. That's on the schedule for 0.6 or so.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

ffguy posted:

I know reactors don't explode yet but has beef said how that would work? So long as we're talking about desirable options I think future-proofing for that would be a good idea.

I haven't said how it'll work because I haven't spent the time to sit down and think hard about the design. It has to be instantly comprehensible to a newbie player and forgiving enough that people don't get too scared to experiment with their reactors, while also deadly enough to not be "lol, another meltdown?". There will have to be a couple of toggles to turn on/off meltdown effects, allowing players to tune the danger level to fit their modpack.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

ffguy posted:

Because of how BR efficiency works it's easy to make a stupid-simple control program that runs the reactor when you have storage space and shuts it down when you don't while maintaining very high efficiency. That part can be knocked up in no time. The thing that takes time and effort are the fancy visualization options that people seem to love.

I'm running that right now, reactor is only on when it's internal reserve is lower than 90%. The efficency is insane, I haven't even made one bar of cyanite and it's been running for the last 3 days straight. My energy use isn't huge right now, but it's powering a modest ME system, a few machines and a bunch of MFR harvesters and planters. The reactor design itself is horrid, a "flat" 10x11x3 reactor with a checkered layout of fuel rods, except in the outer layer, no coolant. Somehow, it still gives crazy efficiency which I'm guessing is due to the fact that when it does fire up, it's for a second or so and the temperature only hits a max of about 300~C.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

CrazyTolradi posted:

You're right about IC2 though, there's nothing it does that isn't done as well as or better by another mod. The steam/heat mechanic they've introduced is poorly implemented, hardly documented and not even close to anything any other mod offers, not to mention that IC2 steam is a special snowflake that's different to every other steam and not cross-mod compatible.

What the hell, wasn't IC2 half the reason for oredict existing in the first place? Also exploding machines was a terrible idea.

IC2 does have UU-matter, but there are better ways to do most of what it does now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

m2pt5 posted:

What the hell, wasn't IC2 half the reason for oredict existing in the first place? Also exploding machines was a terrible idea.

IC2 does have UU-matter, but there are better ways to do most of what it does now.

IIRC the ore dictionary came about because of Redpower and IC2 wanting to share copper, yeah.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Speaking of mods that don't do anything, does Pneumaticraft have anything at all to recommend it? Its graphics are ugly even by Minecraft standards, (those flowers, ugh) it's incredibly fiddly and micro-required (those flowers, ugh) and so far it just looks like the endgame is a giant iron sink that gets you nothing but a kind of crappy gun.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Speaking of mods that don't do anything, does Pneumaticraft have anything at all to recommend it? Its graphics are ugly even by Minecraft standards, (those flowers, ugh) it's incredibly fiddly and micro-required (those flowers, ugh) and so far it just looks like the endgame is a giant iron sink that gets you nothing but a kind of crappy gun.

The helmet is pretty cool but the whole thing annoys me. The center of the compression chamber is actually air and things in it can despawn!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The helmet has the busiest UI I've ever seen, and I grew up playing games in the 90s.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Turns out I was loving stupid earlier in the thread; all Thaumcraft mobs can be ground. I had somehow installed harvesters instead of grinders after moving my mob grinder. :suicide: Churning up flux mobs is an awesome way of getting vitium and Pech make good mana bean sources if you're not interested in farming them with golems.

Does anybody know if the ex-Atomic Science now-Resonant Induction fission and fusion reactors are broken in 1.6.4? I'm wondering if it might not be possible to hook them up to a Big Reactors turbine instead of using the built-in turbines (which caused massive FPS lag in 1.5.2) for at least an interesting alternative to using yellorium/blutonium but some token Googling suggested they were no longer stable.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Is there anything at all for 1.7.10 that stops bats from spawning? They are probably the most useless part of Vanilla MC and I wish to hell they only spawned over the Halloween week.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
So I dealt with my earlier problems by nabbing up a few cows (got some sheep, too, even though I have cotton plants) and making a floor in my building with grass floors. I lucked out and had one block of grass in my ME computer, my silk-touch tool had broken (it was a chisel and I got the enchantment while loving about to see if you could even enchant one) and I didn't want to have to fence in another plot of land.

I am faced with a new challenge -taint is encroaching on my area, apparently right across open water. I have tried two tactics, firstly, explosives, which easily deal with the creatures and get rid of lots of tainted stuff, but if you come back later the craters are tainted and full of tainted sheep and whatnot. Secondly, I have tried planting Silverwood trees. Three trees were swallowed up by taint without changing the biome, and I'm reluctant to cut down more of my limited reserve of trees in the hopes of generating more saplings. I tried only the basic and incendiary rockets from the RPG that ICBM has; should I step up to proper stationary missile sites and launch nukes? Keep in mind that the nearest incursion of taint is near to my base. I can post screenshots later when I get back to my main computer later tonight if they'd be helpful, but I have to imagine this is a common problem for people playing in a modpack that includes Thaumcraft but who don't use it much.

Also, since we seem to have the fellow responsible for Big Reactors posting here, I must say that I find it quite good and enjoyable. I would like to second the opinions of those requesting multiblock engine-generators for non-atomic fuels; I had a good time setting up Buildcraft Combustion Engines in an array of iron blocks to make a big diesel generator, only to be disappointed at how little power it made from six engines. I don't use BC engines for anything any more now. My $0.02, for what it's worth, would be some combination of a piston, redstone, and iron could make a single cylinder for an engine that burnt liquid fuels. Two or more lined up would make inline engines, and two lines beside one another would form a V-engine. Off to one end you could put a one-or-more-block generator, and combining these cylinder modules with generator modules would make the power output and fuel consumption change -too big a generator on too small an engine would ramp up fuel consumption out of proportion with power generated, while too big an engine with too small a generator would more or less have the same effect.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What controls the default font for books? The John Smith's texture pack makes books completely unreadable and I deleted all the font files I could find, but the font is still poo poo. I like the resourcepack, but would really like books to be readable.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Red_October_7000 posted:

So I dealt with my earlier problems by nabbing up a few cows (got some sheep, too, even though I have cotton plants) and making a floor in my building with grass floors. I lucked out and had one block of grass in my ME computer, my silk-touch tool had broken (it was a chisel and I got the enchantment while loving about to see if you could even enchant one) and I didn't want to have to fence in another plot of land.

I am faced with a new challenge -taint is encroaching on my area, apparently right across open water. I have tried two tactics, firstly, explosives, which easily deal with the creatures and get rid of lots of tainted stuff, but if you come back later the craters are tainted and full of tainted sheep and whatnot. Secondly, I have tried planting Silverwood trees. Three trees were swallowed up by taint without changing the biome, and I'm reluctant to cut down more of my limited reserve of trees in the hopes of generating more saplings. I tried only the basic and incendiary rockets from the RPG that ICBM has; should I step up to proper stationary missile sites and launch nukes? Keep in mind that the nearest incursion of taint is near to my base. I can post screenshots later when I get back to my main computer later tonight if they'd be helpful, but I have to imagine this is a common problem for people playing in a modpack that includes Thaumcraft but who don't use it much.

You need to progress in Thaumcraft and get Ethereal Blooms. Scan something taint-related to unlock the research, which will be in the Alchemy page or whatever it's called. Blooms reset the biome within a certain radius (it's aaaaalmost the same size as a chunk) back to what it originally was (or what the seed thinks it should be, anyway) and changing the biome is the ONLY way to stop the spread of Taint. Planting silverwoods can work, but it's not the silverwood that changes the biome, it's the Pure node inside it. They don't always spawn with nodes, so it's not a reliable method of clearing Taint. Also they're harder to get than Ethereal Blooms. FYI, Pale and Faded Pure nodes don't change the biome, so moving Pure nodes doesn't usually help for clearing more Taint.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 12, 2014

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Red_October_7000 posted:

The taint isn't actually spreading via the water - if you go digging, you'll find underground caves full of fibrous taint under that water. Taint spreads by spreading the Tainted Land biome, which grows every time the Fibrous Taint stuff on the ground grows. In theory, you could stop it by digging a four-block wide trench all the way down to bedrock (it uses grass calculations to spread, and that stuff can jump a block or two of space).

It's easier to follow the previous suggestion and just get some Ethereal Blooms, unless you have easy access to something else that changes the biome type. Taint can only live in Tainted Lands, so if you have something else to convert a large area of biome, you could use that, too.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

McFrugal posted:

You need to progress in Thaumcraft and get Ethereal Blooms. Scan something taint-related to unlock the research, which will be in the Alchemy page or whatever it's called. Blooms reset the biome within a certain radius (it's aaaaalmost the same size as a chunk) back to what it originally was (or what the seed thinks it should be, anyway) and changing the biome is the ONLY way to stop the spread of Taint. Planting silverwoods can work, but it's not the silverwood that changes the biome, it's the Pure node inside it. They don't always spawn with nodes, so it's not a reliable method of clearing Taint. Also they're harder to get than Ethereal Blooms. FYI, Pale and Faded Pure nodes don't change the biome, so moving Pure nodes doesn't usually help for clearing more Taint.

I got about four saplings of Silverwood by flying for many kilometers using the delightful combination of Mekanism Jet Pack + OpenBlocks Hang Glider = Aeroplane. Initially I had just planted these near to my initial structure, as I enjoy the variety of mod trees and enjoy collecting them. I'm delighted to find that you will now find the Forestry trees as loot in villages, so that they don't remain buried under the fussy mess that is tree breeding. When I noticed that that the taint had migrated to about 65 meters from the edge of my salination towers, I got worried and farmed saplings using a hoe of growth, but saplings spawn so rarely from Silverwood trees that I don't want to risk destroying the ones I do have, which number eight.

I was going to hold off on Thaumcraft until I had finished my tower, since I had planned on putting such rooms on an uppermost floor, but I'll see how deep I have to go to get to the Ethereal Blooms.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Serifina posted:

The taint isn't actually spreading via the water - if you go digging, you'll find underground caves full of fibrous taint under that water. Taint spreads by spreading the Tainted Land biome, which grows every time the Fibrous Taint stuff on the ground grows. In theory, you could stop it by digging a four-block wide trench all the way down to bedrock (it uses grass calculations to spread, and that stuff can jump a block or two of space).

It's easier to follow the previous suggestion and just get some Ethereal Blooms, unless you have easy access to something else that changes the biome type. Taint can only live in Tainted Lands, so if you have something else to convert a large area of biome, you could use that, too.

Are there any good tools for loving with biomes? Like actually changing the biome type and whatnot?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Light Gun Man posted:

Are there any good tools for loving with biomes? Like actually changing the biome type and whatnot?

Witchery, Blood Magic, and one of the tech mods (I think? I don't remember which one) have tools for changing biomes. Unfortunately, the two magic mods do require you to be pretty deep in to be able to do biome changing, as they each require pretty involved rituals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Red_October_7000 posted:

I was going to hold off on Thaumcraft until I had finished my tower, since I had planned on putting such rooms on an uppermost floor, but I'll see how deep I have to go to get to the Ethereal Blooms.
If you're playing single player just turn off taint spread in the configs. That poo poo is annoying as hell, especially if you've got it in underground caves. I had a bunch next to my base on the old Progress server and it took me several real life days to finally clear it out.

From what I remember, ethereal blooms are kind of poo poo too. Their radius one meter short of clearing an entire chunk, so you end up with a strip of taint fibers along two edges unless you use multiple blooms per chunk or space them just right.

• Locked thread