Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I was referring to *who* they were, not what characters they were, as McPantserton was naming who had done the cosplays in her post.

My bad have this

wbmstr as Ariel/ Leia Crossover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Not sure either, but I got to hold that guys sword backstage for a moment. It was pretty hefty.

Here's me:

Very cool looking costume. But how did you manage not to trip with those chains all around your legs?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Trast posted:

Very cool looking costume. But how did you manage not to trip with those chains all around your legs?

I walked slowly.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know this is a small point but I really do appreciate this thread for avoiding being like ten out of ten other cosplay threads on other forums having women wearing rather revealing outfits. I can actually read this and not loving hate everybody.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tracula posted:

I know this is a small point but I really do appreciate this thread for avoiding being like ten out of ten other cosplay threads on other forums having women wearing rather revealing outfits. I can actually read this and not loving hate everybody.

drat we must be slipping.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hold on let me fix that

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tracula posted:

Revealing and non-revealing are both good. Women can dress how they want, goons can post what they want.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tracula posted:

Honestly it's more novel and against the grain for SA to not be creepy about cosplay, and you know how SA prides itself on being against the grain to the exclusion of almost everything else.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Haruharuharuko posted:

My bad have this

wbmstr as Ariel/ Leia Crossover

drat that's one hell of a dinglehopper.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Haruharuharuko posted:

Lady Vashj and a Warrior in dungeon set 1.5

:goonsay:

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Tracula posted:

Whoops, here you go.

:holy: :heysexy:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

drat, beaten. That's one impressive cosplay for one of the coolest armour sets of vanilla WoW. I especially approve of the ridiculous size of the shoulder armour.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The world needs more Bad Girl cosplay.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Valiantman posted:

drat, beaten. That's one impressive cosplay for one of the coolest armour sets of vanilla WoW. I especially approve of the ridiculous size of the shoulder armour.

Yeah I'd like to see if he can manage a decent range of motion. Very cool.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

a kitten posted:

And reposting Delirium

I'd be so happy if you told me she had a shaved head under there and randomly changed out at some point in the day.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Is that supposed to be a spider web or just some weird shading?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Irish Joe posted:

Is that supposed to be a spider web or just some weird shading?

Shading. Its of this character

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

She doesn't look enough like a painted whore to fit the character.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Athenry posted:

Shading. Its of this character

Going solely by this image, every little drawn detail on the cosplayer is just close enough that it'd be excusable as the only mistake, but when each little drawing is wrong it all just looks glaringly sloppy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is objectively a worse discussion than when the thread derailed for 10 pages about race.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Choco1980 posted:

Going solely by this image, every little drawn detail on the cosplayer is just close enough that it'd be excusable as the only mistake, but when each little drawing is wrong it all just looks glaringly sloppy.

:goonsay:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Jeez, bet it took him 3 days to make that thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The shirt is the best part

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Fellow colleague and goon is more of a lurker and I dont think he'd post it but here's his loving awesome D3 Marauder Demon Hunter in the 3dcam theing they had going at Blizzcon, he was in some of the [edit] i09 Photos.

http://io9.com/so-much-armor-a-collection-of-glorious-blizzcon-cosp-1657040484

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Nov 13, 2014

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
drat that guy has some nasty slouching going on in his posture.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
On all those pauldrons on the last page, as well as the armor and stuff...what the hell is all of that made of? It can't be card board, because it wouldn't hold up enough to get all that heavy painting and stuff on there. Are they actually made of metal? Do they have blacksmiths that make this? 3d printing? Plastics?

How are they making all this ornate stuff and what is it made out of?

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

Jastiger posted:

On all those pauldrons on the last page, as well as the armor and stuff...what the hell is all of that made of? It can't be card board, because it wouldn't hold up enough to get all that heavy painting and stuff on there. Are they actually made of metal? Do they have blacksmiths that make this? 3d printing? Plastics?

How are they making all this ornate stuff and what is it made out of?

It's likely worbla, basically plastic sheeting you can easily heat in water and shape. People usually do that and then sometimes add a fiberglass coating to smooth things out. You can get crazy detail with it.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
EVA foam (craft foam, yoga mats) is pretty commonly used, too. My costumes are pretty much either worbla or vacuum formed styrene/ABS.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Tell me more about this vacuum form stuff.

Also I heard the term 3d printing dropped earlier, are the enterprising goons that take production orders?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually interested in this too. I work with a charity that has Disney characters show up and hang out with terminally ill children. We've made most of our own costumes and recently we've been talking about adding in super heroes.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Vacuum forming is a process where you sculpt something rigid, then heat a sheet of plastic, stretch it over your sculpt, and suck all the air out so the plastic conforms. There are a ton of ways to build/get a vacuum former, my first vacuum former was 18" x 24" and used my oven for heat and a shopvac for suction. My cosplay group now owns a 2 foot x 3 foot one with built-in heating coils and a compression tank, it was super expensive though!

So here are some of my sculpts for my Warhammer 40k costume, made mostly out of random crap like cups, trash cans, etc. or self-sculpted if need be with bondo and apoxie sculpt resin clay for the details

\

On the table (this one was done in a thicker plastic for structure and doesn't have the detail added yet):

Sheets formed:

Cut out and assembled:

On my body, painted up all nice:

e. We post a lot of progress shots on our facebook page too https://www.facebook.com/FoamCorps

e2. Here is a super low quality video of it actually working! https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10102349570708347&set=vb.249186805182421&type=3&theater
and the whole table setup

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Nov 13, 2014

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I had no idea your group was local to me. Now I know who to pester about where to go shopping for supplies if I ever get around to that IG costume.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's one hell of a Bad Girl.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

McPantserton posted:

EVA foam (craft foam, yoga mats) is pretty commonly used, too. My costumes are pretty much either worbla or vacuum formed styrene/ABS.
Sounds like it would get hot as hell in that.
Here's something more ventilated.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
poo poo I can barely crank out a costume a year let alone this.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Samuel posted:

poo poo I can barely crank out a costume a year let alone this.
I do usually 2, and sometimes 3 big projects a year and it is a rapid pace. 3 is fuckin rough. I'm planning on starting my main 2015 outfit in probably January-February this year so I can spend the time to do all the required lights and chainmail and other bullshit.

And more photos, here's my full 40k group together :commissar:

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Samuel posted:

Tell me more about this vacuum form stuff.

Also I heard the term 3d printing dropped earlier, are the enterprising goons that take production orders?

I am indeed considering this. I'm waiting for some more plastic to come in while I'm brushing up on the various 3D modelling programs out there, ideally I will be able to take pepakura files and feed them into my printer instead of cutting and pasting all the fine details for hours. In the meantime if anyone has already found proven files for small bits they want I'll do a test print. If the quality is acceptable to you then I'm sure we can work out a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

McPantserton posted:

I do usually 2, and sometimes 3 big projects a year and it is a rapid pace. 3 is fuckin rough. I'm planning on starting my main 2015 outfit in probably January-February this year so I can spend the time to do all the required lights and chainmail and other bullshit.

And more photos, here's my full 40k group together :commissar:

So how does a group like this get started? Were you all 40k gamers that decided to get into the cosplay, or were you just like minded cosplayers that decided to focus on 40k, or what?

I have no idea how I'd locate someone else in my city that would be interested in the same hobby that I have, let alone something this specific.

• Locked thread